• Published 19th Sep 2018
  • 344 Views, 2 Comments

Broken Wings, Broken Spirits - Darkblaze15



John Darkblaze must find a way to persevere after a tragic accident leaves him disabled for life.

  • ...
 2
 344

Chapter 5: Epilogue

10 years later....

“There, that should do it!” I exclaim as I finish unpacking the last box of knick-knacks and organizing them upon the mantle. Once that is done, I walk over to my sofa and sit down to relax, taking in the surroundings of my new home. It’s not much to brag about, I suppose, just a one-bedroom expanded bungalow with a simple kitchen and ample space for a small living room. I say expanded, though, because the entire back half of the house and addition off the side is one big, empty warehouse space, where I intend to set up my shop. After all the tension of moving from Vanhoover to Ponyville, I can’t believe I’m actually going to become the town’s first official blacksmith shop and prosthetic limb pioneer! I take a short walk out back to the warehouse, thinking about all the equipment I’ll need and the number of ponies’ lives I’ll improve once I start my business up.

As I trot over to another short stack of boxes and start to unpack them, a flash of gray streaks out from behind the boxes, followed by a larger streak of orange. I chuckle as I call out, “Shiloh! Leave that poor mouse alone!” Shiloh, my ten-year-old orange-tabby cat, pauses and looks at me before looking longingly back at the mouse. “Come on, we’ve still got work to do, bud,” I say as he walks back over to me and rubs his head against my legs. Just as I take the first item out of the first box, however, I suddenly hear a voice coming from my left.

“Wow, dude, this place looks awesome!” the voice of my colthood friend says.

“Well, look at what the cat dragged in!” I say with surprise and delight, “How are ya, Jake?” I ask as we exchange our signature hoofshake.

“I’m good, I was in the area and thought I’d stop by to see how you’re getting on,” he says, looking around, “Feel like you’re ready?”

“I think so,” I say, “Ready as I can be, I guess.”

“Dude, don’t sound so unsure of yourself, you’ll be great!” he says encouragingly, petting Shiloh as he purrs contently, “I mean, just look at what you did to his leg! If this or your wings don’t say that you’re ready, then I don’t know what will.”

“Fair point,” I say, briefly flexing my wings. In the years since my accident, I studied all I could about quantum mechanics and went to school for mechanical engineering, during which time that I developed my first official prototype for a pair of fully-functional mechanical wings. After several years of perfecting my design and making improvements, I created the pair of wings that I wear now, made from a blue-metal alloy to match my coat and full articulation to allow for maximum lift and agility. Not only that, but I’ve also improved upon Shiloh’s prosthetic leg, which now has as much movement and flexibility of a natural leg.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” I say, “If anypony should open a business like this, then I guess I’m best qualified.”

“Absolutely. Hey, think they could use a little tune-up race after your move?” Jacob asks cheekily, “How about a quick sprint to Sugarcube Corner, loser pays?”

“Uh, I wouldn’t get too cocky there,” I say teasingly, “After all, I’m not the only cripple here, remember?” I add, pointing to the braces along the back of his own wings.

“Wow, cheap shot, there Darkblaze!” he exclaims, “Now you’re in for it!” he adds as he trots out to my front lawn, waiting for me.

“Alright, I guess we’re doing this,” I sigh to myself, “Come on, Shiloh!” I say as I trot back into the house and locate the special harness I made for Shiloh whenever I go flying. He obediently sits still while I strap him in; once I make sure he is secure, I trot out through the front door. Jacob is already there, stretching his wings in preparation for our race.

“You sure you can keep up while carrying him?” Jacob asks jokingly. Once I made my wings, Jacob immediately challenged me to a race; since I was not fully accustomed to them yet, he won by a mile. Since then, he has been winning more of our races than he used to, but Ive managed to keep pace with him as I grew into my wings.

“Why don’t you just worry about your own self while you’re busy eating my air!” I say, and after a quick three-second countdown, we shoot into the skies, ready to seize yet another win from the other.