• Published 3rd Jul 2018
  • 44,357 Views, 5,460 Comments

The Humble Prince - Lighting Ace



A man wakes up to find he's inhabiting the body of a cartoon horse who wasn't exactly Mister Popular, judging from how shocked the locals are when he says things like 'please' and 'thank you'.

  • ...
190
 5,460
 44,357

PreviousChapters Next
Tricks, Witz And Charms (RB And BS)

Author's Note:

Warning, this chapter has some lesson on flower language.

It all started with the sound of a trumpet in the middle of the day court. Dreading the coming of this day, the warnings of King Raptor rang ominously in the back of Celestia's mind as, with a practiced smile and a well-hidden sigh, the Princess braced herself to receive her unexpected guests. As she gave the order to let them inside the throne room, she ran through the mental checklist that she had prepared beforehand for this type of unannounced arrival. Celestia made sure to keep her day court as lax and short as possible so as not to get too behind on her schedule. That decision was about to pay off as her guards opened the front door allowing a row of anthropomorphic feline guards marched inside alongside a herald who, once in front of her, took a step forward and made his proclamation.

"Presenting His majesty! King Atticus the Fifth, ruler of Abyssinia and the heir to the Abyssinian throne, Prince Atticus the Sixth!" the herald finished and gave her a deep bow before taking a step back and allowing the rulers in question to approach the other.

"Greetings, oh magnificent Princess of Equestria," King Atticus exclaimed with an exaggerated bow as he addressed Celestia. The King's son mirrored his father's movements, though his bow was more polite and hid his embarrassment of his father, making the Princess sigh internally. The king in question was a pure black-furred anthropomorphic lion, with a glistering and ample mane which sparkled against the light. If the princess didn't know better, she would have said that he just came out of the shower with how much it shined. On top of his head sat a golden crown with spikes adorned with glinting rubies. His wardrobe consisted of a red royal cape with edged with white and black spotted stoat fur running its entire edge, a long-sleeved red shirt with multiple gold buttons on it, three golden rings adorned his right hand. Each ring was set with brilliant emeralds. Finally, a single golden monocle rested on his right eye, attached to a delicate platinum chain connected to a ring in his right ear. Next to the king stood the Prince, a younger black lion whose mane had not grown in completely, yet it was long enough that it could easily be styled into a mohawk. Like his father, he had a long-sleeved shirt with golden buttons as well, the fabric differed from the kings by being blue, though no less luxurious. on his brow rested a modest silver crown while on his shoulder rested a pair of golden epaulets.

Oh good, he still has a flair for the dramatic, this is going to be a long meeting. Prince Atticus, thank the stars you inherited your mother’s modesty. The princess mentally thanked her lucky stars before greeting her guest.

"King Atticus, my dear friend, I'm so glad to see you in good health," Celestia greeted him with a smile before looking at his son. "And little Atticus! You have grown up into such a charming young prince. Each day you look more and more like your father."

"Thank you, your highness," Prince Atticus responded in a low tone, before approaching the princess and offering a single Peruvian lily with his left paw. "For you, milady."

Celestia nodded in approval and took the flower with her hoof before taking a sniff. "A thousand thanks kind sir," She smiled while allowing the prince went back to his father.

"Such skill with words and praises; you truly have the manners of a fair ruler, Dearest Celestia," the king remarked before extending his paw toward her. "May we have the leave to take a moment of your time? The events of the past months have reached even the ears of fair Abyssinia, and there is much to be discussed."

"Of course, King Atticus, in fact, I was counting on your arrival," Celestia replied with a smile, catching the king by surprise.

"You did?"

"Indeed, another ruler recently approached me earlier and was kind enough to explain what concerns plague both you and others. So, I took the liberty of preparing all of the pertinent paperwork for the transfer of criminals back to Abyssinia. I also took the liberty of having a detailed inventory and ledger drawn up to account for exactly what and how much of your national fortune the respective criminal organizations took from you. That was, after all, the reason for your visit, am I right?" She asked with a concerned tone and a raised eyebrow. The King, in turn, paused for a moment to clear his throat.

"Ahem, y-yes, that is exactly what I was looking forward to discussing, your skills and insight seem to be as sharp as ever, dear Celestia."

"Thank you for your praise Atticus, Though I am still not going to simply return the money to you though. We will discuss terms and concessions as rational rulers."

"But of course."

"Oh and my nephew will not be joining us either, I'm afraid his schedule is full at the current moment."

"What?! but…"

A quick gaze into Celestia’s eye stopped the King complaining further, "…ah... I mean, that is quite a shame. I was personally looking forward to shaking the hoof of the stallion who single-handedly defeated one of the most persistent problems in my country. And I was hoping he and my son could meet, perhaps even share advice or tips on how to confront future problems with any new criminal masterminds."

"It a real shame indeed, perhaps another time, however. For now, let us talk about the issues at hoof, this way, gentle cats," Celestia kindly responded as she guided the feline pair into a smaller, private room off from the main audience chamber. The confidence in Celestia’s step and posture prevented her from seeing the slight smirk that was forming on the king and prince’s features as they followed her along.

Meanwhile in the royal garden

"Alright, your highness. For your next lesson, we will study the language of flowers and the proper etiquette when offering one to a fair maiden." Flicker explained pridefully as he, Blueblood, and the prince's new guards walked to the garden until they reached a flower bed who's petals were in full bloom.

"Offering a flower? Really?" the prince glanced at the head butler with a raised eyebrow and a look that did nothing to hide his less than enthused state. "Is it a big deal to give a flower to a lady? I mean, don't we eat them?"

"On the contrary, your highness! A fair number of kingdoms have adopted this custom among the royalty as an expression of friendship and good health to one another," the butler approached one of the roses and with extreme care caressed one of their petals, "A rose, in particular, is a symbolic expression of alliance and good faith, for how beautiful yet fragile the trust for one another can really be…and how its thorns serve as a warning to what will come if the trust is broken," he finished with a stern expression, lightly lifting the rose so the prince could see the thorns on it.

The prince turned his sight to his guards, who nodded in agreement with Flicker’s words before returning his attention to his teacher. "Ok, so it is important then, duly noted."

"I assure you, your highness, this is a particularly important and delicate lesson. I urge you to pay attention to this." Flicker reproached with a small glare.

"Don't worry, and you have my full attention. I will listen," Blueblood quickly assured the stallion.

"Good, now as I was saying, contrary to other lessons, the act of offering a flower is exclusive to male royalty who fulfill the conditions of been available and are addressing a princess, with no exception."

"Wait…so each time my aunts receive a king as a guest, they receive a flower?"

"If the king in question is not married? Yes. Like I said, it exclusive is to only those available," Flicker clarified with a nod. "Therefore, just as the princess learned to receive them, you will have to learn how and what to deliver. Everything from your posture to the type of flowers influences these actions, and each flower has its own meaning."

Flicker goes on and points to a section of the flower bed that was covered with Peruvian lilies. "The Peruvian Lilies, for example, are the most common to deliver and is known as the flower of friendship. To give this flower to a princess is to say that you appreciate and treasure their alliance and good relationship," Flicker explained. "Always present it with your left hoof. NEVER use your magic to give it. Using your magic indicates tension, and you would be declaring that your alliance with them hangs by a thread."

"Wow, ok, that sounds like a giant insult, I will keep that in mind," Blueblood exclaimed, now scared and giving Flicker his complete attention.

"Glad to hear that you understand the importance of this lesson, your highness. Now, remember when offering a flower, you must always say, 'for you milady,' to which the princess then takes the flower and answers 'a thousand thanks, kind sir' followed by their response for some cases. So quickly, what do you say when offering a flower?"

"For you, milady," Blueblood repeated.

"And how is your posture supposed to be when offering them?"

"I am always to present it with my left hoof, and never use magic," Blueblood answered.

"Good! Now onto the different types of flowers, as I said, the Peruvian Lily is the most common one that you will be using. Still, there is also the Spider Lily, which is to be presented to a princess from a nation that was recently in war. Then, there is the classic red rose, which denotes a romantic interest of the carnal type…"

"Didn’t you say respect of alliance and how fragile they can be?" Blueblood pointed out catching the butler’s attention, “Excellent sir, I'm glad you paid attention, and yes this rose can be used in that manner as well, that is why it is called the power rose, a show of appreciation for a blooming alliance, and a declaration of intense romantic feelings.”

“And how do I know the difference?”

“Depends on where you offer it, just remember this old refrain: if the rose is offered in public, its an alliance appreciation, if it is offered in private, it a love declaration,” Flicker recited with a nod.

“Ah, sounds easy to remember, I will keep it in mind,” Blueblood responded as Flicker continued his lesson.

"The daffodil is for the interest of restoring or create a new alliance," Flicker continued as he kept pointing out the different flowers as he talked. "The hyacinth flower, to repent and ask forgiveness for past sins. And in case you wish to praise a fair maiden overtly, you never can go wrong with the White Lily," Flicker announced with a smile while pointing at them. "The flower of majesty offers one, and you are telling a princess that she is one of the most majestic and beautiful mares on the area.”

"Got it, use it when you want to butter her up," Blueblood resumed, much to the amusement of his guards and the irritation of Flicker. "Please do not diminish the importance of the correct praise your highness."

"Relax, Professor Flicker, I'm just joking," He responded. "Also…if I could ask, why do I need to use my left hoof specifically? Is it a problem if I used my right one?" Blueblood asked in curiosity.

"It a question of intensity mostly, even when you use your left hoof to write or eat, the custom says that that right hoof is the strong side. Using it means that your intention is stronger, friendship with your right hoof, means asking if they would like to have 'benefits' with your relationship, majestic transforms into obsession, and carnal love becomes…"

"…a marriage proposal" Another female voice came from behind to answer Flicker, as Garra and Daga snapped into action and extended their wings, which were equipped with daggers along the edge as they placed themselves next to the prince while facing the new intruder. "Greetings, oh fair prince of Equestria." A tall, slender, albino lioness with a diamond-studded tiara atop of her head stood in front of them, long black dreadlocks with exquisite ornaments adorning some of them covering part of her face, which was painted with a tasteful amount of makeup, her eyes were of a vivid emerald colour. A sleeveless formal green victorian style dress hugged her well-developed body tightly and a golden ring clasped tightly her well-groomed tail greeted the prince as she held her dress and gave him a polite curtsy. "It so wonderful to finally meet you, I hope that I'm not interrupting anything," she greeted with a smile and slightly closed eye.

The moment Flicker saw her, he immediately bowed and put his head as close to the ground as possible, "Your Highness," he says respectfully, yet the prince was too busy at the moment to notice any of that happening.

"Wow," the prince said as he kept staring at the lioness in amazement from her beauty, his cheeks starting to heat up until he realized what was happening. it took only a slight shake his head to snap himself back to reality, "I-I mean” He took a glance at Flicker and how he continued to keep his head low, giving him an idea that the lady was important, so he needed to remain professional “Good evening madam, unfortunately, you indeed were interrupting an important lesson, but if you desired to see me so much I suppose I could lend you some of my time,” he responded in a professional and neutral tone.

What the hell is that? Why all of a sudden did I get so flustered?” The prince questioned himself, not understanding what was happening to him while maintaining appearances.

“Wonderful! But your highness, there is no need to be formal around me, I assure you, I don’t wish to hurt you,” the cat responded, taking a step forward only for the prince to take a step back, an action that caught his guard’s attention.

"Is everything ok, sir?" Garra asked in concern.

"Would you like us to remove this cat from the premise, sir?" Daga asks him.

"No!” the prince tells in an unexpected outburst of surprise before realizing what he was doing and cleared his throat. “I–I mean, it’s ok girls, so far she only wishes to say hi. No need to be rude, be on alert in case of any sudden moment," he instructed quietly, making them nod. “And, I apologize for the outburst; I don’t know what came over me,” he apologized, ashamed by his actions towards the twins.

Why do I feel so unsettled?

Suddenly Flicker clearing his throat and slightly glaring at him, made the Prince realized how rude it must have have been looking, and now was virtually ignoring her. So trying to save face as quickly as possible, the Prince clears his throat and puts into practice the lessons Flicker had imparted so far. " My most humble apologies for my previous behavior, the art of etiquette is a lesson I haven’t fully mastered yet; please allow me to start over... Greetings fair maiden, I'm indeed flattered that you wish to meet me in person, and even though I currently am receiving an important lesson, I will not deny your request of spending time with me."

Flicker nodded in approval at his quick reaction as Blueblood give the feline a courteous bow as well. "Would you like to join us for the remains of the lesson, miss…?"

"Oh, where are my manners, a thousand apologies your highness. Please allow me to introduce myself properly, and my name is Nefertiti," she proclaimed in pride, "Princess Nefertiti the First, Princess of Abyssinia and second in line for the throne! And yes," she finishes with a smirk, "I would love to join you for the remainder of your lesson, your highness."

Meanwhile in the Crystal Empire’s newest school

Shining Armor was walking toward his classroom while taking occasional glances at Amber and Stellar with some excitement.

"Amber, Stellar, I want to tell you how happy and honored I am that you expressed your interest in learning emotional magic. The fact that I would have the opportunity not only to spend time with you but teach two of the best Celestial Centurions and my heroes fills me with excitement!" He confided in the pair, almost prancing for a moment before he stopped and looked back at them with a slight blush on his cheeks. "…which is probably why I should apologize ahead of time from any small outburst of emotions during our classes, and such are the risks when learning to manipulate your emotions."

"There is no need for apologies, and your Highness," Amber answered as Stellar shook her head, both of them remaining stoic as they walked. "The nature of the emotional spectrum is the reason for our visit in the first place. An outburst is logical to appear; we are counting on it," she said, hardening her gaze alongside her friend.

"Wow, wow, wow, ok, some ground rules before we begin," Shining stopped in front of them with some worry. "As the name implies, the emotional spectrum relies heavily on your current mood, which means you can run the risk of drowning in any single one of them. So to prevent any accidents, we made a rule," he points to a plaque on the wall, "Neither anger or fear enters this classroom. If you're feeling any of that, the school is equipped with special rooms to blow off some steam, and our school counselor will listen to any worries you may have." Shining explained with a smile.

Both centurions looked at each other before regarding the prince in confusion. "Why make such a rule your highness? Aren't those part of the emotional spectrum and normal feelings to have?"

"In most situations, I would agree, but when learning the magic behind emotions, those two are the most dangerous. Cadence and I are even considering banishing them both from the curriculum altogether."

"NO!" Amber exclaimed in fear as they both take a step closer to Shining Armor. "I…I mean, why do such extreme measures, your highness?"

"Because even just a little amount of anger or fear puts you in a very vulnerable position. And it's so easy to drown and lose yourself in those emotions. Trust me when I say that. I speak from experience," he remarks with a hint of pain his voice "I tried the fear and anger spectrum once, and that ONE time was enough to teach me how hard it is to control them, and how terrifying they could be if you get lost to them. So…that's why we have the plaque," he finishes, smiling, trying to forget the incident.

"We understand your highness," Amber responded with a nod, "And will respect your wishes, although perhaps you might want to reconsider removing an emotion of your school. I will not deny the risk, but if well trained and prepared, a skilled student might teach you forms to control such power. Perhaps it could be a matter of periodic small doses with a bit of practice," she negotiated with him.

"Well, …maybe? I don't know, but it's not something for beginners to try!" Shining restated his point, "So before we start the class, I need you to promise me, you will clear your minds of any anger or will express it safely in the pertinent facilities, understood?"

"Sir, yes sir!" they responded mostly out of instinct "I…I mean understood your highness, sorry for that, just a soldier hiccup right there,"

"Nah, don't sweat it. I more than know about that. Between you and me, I still find it hard to believe that I'm sitting on a throne instead of standing beside one, protecting a Princess," he confessed with some embarrassment. "Once a soldier, always a soldier, am I right, ladies?"

"So true," they all shared some laughs as they finally reached the classroom.

"Well, miladies, hope you are as excited as I am right now because this will be one emotional experience."

Both mares rolled their eyes at his wordplay

"Welcome, to Emotional Magic, One-Oh-One!" Shining proclaimed as he opens the doors to his classroom.

PreviousChapters Next