• Published 3rd Jul 2018
  • 44,078 Views, 5,441 Comments

The Humble Prince - Lighting Ace



A man wakes up to find he's inhabiting the body of a cartoon horse who wasn't exactly Mister Popular, judging from how shocked the locals are when he says things like 'please' and 'thank you'.

  • ...
190
 5,441
 44,078

PreviousChapters Next
Stepping Into The Unknown (RB and BS)

"Aw! This is getting me nowhere!" Blueblood screamed in the library while pulling at his mane. Scattered all around were mountains of discarded books, paper drafts, crumbled or ripped pieces of parchment and a lot of ink and used feathers, leaving puddles everywhere. Following the advice of Pudding Head, the ex-prince locked himself inside the royal library and didn't waste any time before throwing him headlong into his research, investigating and planning out ideas on how to make a brand new spell. At first, he was eager and determined, but as time went by, all his attempts lead him into yet another dead end where somepony else had already invented it, or to find out that he was overcomplicating an already simple spell, or that it had already been investigated and found to be unsuitable or that he was basically making a blast or bomb spell with a different colored explosion.

After the fifth week, he stopped counting the days and practically moved into the library, taking advantage of every single free moment he could find between his research and his lessons. He simply stopped caring about how long it was taking him and just wanted to figure out something already, It was this lack of progress that only increased his frustration.

"Wow, defeated by a piece of paper." Looking up with a start, the Ronin saw Discord floating around in front of him while reading a simple children's book. "Now that is just sad," He says without looking at him as he turns the page.

"Did you came here just to tell me that?"

"No, I also wanted to tell you that I took pictures of all the times a spell blew up in your face," He quipped back to Blueblood with a smirk, making him sigh and look down.

"Well hope you had your fun."

"Oh I did, trust me." Discord then surprised the Ronin by appearing next to him and pulling him into a one-armed hug. "But all jokes aside, I was wondering if you would like some assistance with your problem."

"What are you suggesting?" Blueblood looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh, nothing much. I was just thinking, why not speed things along a little bit?" He suggested with a serious expression, before releasing the Ronin and gesturing into the air summoning two dolls with a startling resemblance to Jet Set and Upper Crust "Those two nobles also ruined Fluttershy's night out. Do you have any idea of how many nights we spent together, training so she wouldn't be so nervous?"

"You helped her practice how to be more confident?" Blueblood regarded Discord with no small amount of surprise.

"Of course I did, and everything was going swimmingly until those two nobles ruined that night. She even managed to score a kiss with a prince for pity's sake! I have already eleven jokes to tell her just with that!" He tells in indignation.

"Hehe, yeah that thing," Blueblood reminisced with a dreamy smile as he recalled how spontaneous that kiss was.

"And that is why I'm offering this once in a lifetime deal," Discord said with an evil smile, "What do you say if we team up and teach those party crashers a lesson? Just think of me as…" He suddenly turned into mist and swirled around Blueblood before disappearing. The Ronin watched as his mane grew out to a point where it nearly touched the floor, the blond leached itself out of the hairs until only a pale silver remained. A black leather jacket darker than night flowed around the prince, arraying itself to show a crossed pair of belts tightly wrapped into an X across his chest that connected to a pair of segmented iron pauldrons. The look was completed as a seven-foot-long odachi shimmered into existence in front of the prince. A single black wing burst forth out of the princes back spreading to cast a dark shadow over the two dolls. Discord's head soon extended out of the wing with a sly grin.

"…your wingman. What do you say? Interested?"

Dear God, I can almost hear 'One Winged Angel' playing on the background

"Come on Discord." Blueblood stepped away, shaking his body to dispell the illusion cast by the Draconequus "Be serious, as tempting as that offer might be. Taking it would be reducing myself to their level. Plus it would be taking a shortcut, how would I ever be able to face my aunts if I did that?" The Ronin asked rhetorically before sighing and going back to read another book.

"You heard what the founders said. This is something I have to do on my own."

"And yet you keep trying to build upon and copy the notes of others." Discord pushes, as his face replaces the content in the book startling the Ronin, who tosses the book away until it bounced off of Discord's belly. "Come on Blue, where's your sense of chaos? The desire to explore the unknown? The curiosity of asking yourself: Why not?" Discord eagerly asked.

"What are you talking about?" Blueblood questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Think. Like. A. Human." Discord literally spelled it out, writing the words on a chalkboard.

"What do you think I have been doing?" Blueblood asked, defending himself.

"Oh? so the caveman that invented the wheel first checked the instruction manual?" Discord asked with his arms crossed. "I mean it is funny to think he did, but you really think that was how it happened?"

"Of course not, he…I, oooh!" Blueblood finally realized what Discord was getting at. "All I've been doing is wasting my time." He mumbled to himself.

"Well not completely; you made me laugh more than once." Discord chuckled holding the pictures of his failed attempts blowing up in his face. "Like when you turned your fur pink…or sprung elk antlers…oh and who could forget when you turned your tail into a dragon head!" Discord chuckled out loud, listing off Bluebloods failures.

"Yeah, ha, ha, hilarious." Blueblood snarked before turning around and started to leave the spirit of chaos to his own devices only to stumble across the book the spirit had been reading, a straightforward child's book whose title caught the Ronin's attention. His curiosity peaked once he learned that his aunt was in it.

"The mare in the moon?" He held the book in his hooves curiously before beginning to read. His movements becoming faster and faster as his interest was seized. One part of the tale always caught his attention in his readings. "Transformed herself into a wicked mare of darkness?" He asked out loud, catching Discord's attention.

"Wait, mare of darkness? Transformation?" Blueblood asked once more before looking at the picture of Nightmare Moon and then realizing who she was as he looks at it in sorrow. "Aunt Luna..."

The Ronin then turned around and dashed to where Discord is. "Discord! This, this part right here!"

"What? What of it?" Discord inquired, confused by Blueblood's reaction as the Ronin tackled him to the ground and puts the book in front of the spirit before pointing at the picture of his aunt. "The transformation part, my aunt. What exactly happened? How exactly did it happen? You must know it, right?"

"Yeah, I know, as well as everypony else in Equestria knows." Discord agreed. Breaking apart and reforming in front of him before cleaning himself from the dust. "Lulu got jealous of Sunbutt, they got into an argument, things escalated, and before you know it, she changed."

"Yeah, that is what I don't get it. How did she do it? I mean, are all alicorns able to transform? What is the process behind it? Is this like that rage burst thing? Is it linked to their emotions? Maybe it's connected to their celestial bodies? I have so many questions." He states while pacing back and forth in front of Discord.

The spirit simply shrugged in response and floated around before conjuring and eating an apple. "Nobody is completely sure. There are theories of course. I mean your aunts have the power to move and create the day and night all by themselves, so letting loose all of that at once maybe invoked it, I don't know, it's one of Equestria's greatest mysteries." He states while reverse eating the apple.

"And no pony has ever been able to transform ever since?" Blueblood asks confused.

He looks at him with a raised eyebrow. "No, I don't believe anyone else has become a pony of darkness, or if it is even possible, why?" He asked with a hint of worry creeping into his voice.

"Then maybe…" Blueblood thought hard for a moment before returning to the stacks of books, retrieving one off a shelf before rapidly flipping through the pages and stopping at one in particular. "Aha! There here is. Now let see…good, it's not that hard." He exclaims in glee as he circles part of the page using a feather and ink, not noticing that his cutie mark was starting to shine, as he memorized the spell and walked away.

Intrigued, Discord looks at what Blueblood circled, and got suspicious. "The first spell Swarswirl the Bearded invented to move celestial bodies? Didn't you hear anything I said? A) You are copying something that has already made, and B) You need at least 7 skilled unicorns to perform it!"

"I not going to move the sun or the moon," Blueblood explains as he moves some pillars around until he improvised an altar. "I just need half the spell, particularly the part that connects your magic with the object."

"The object in this case been the sun?" He asks confused.

"The moon actually." the stallion turns around and smiles. "I'm going to figure out how my aunt did it. And if it is linked to the moon, Starswirl's spell will be a perfect way to start my tests" He continued eagerly "Plus, I'm intrigued, this Nightmare Moon character is basically Daybreaker but in my aunt Luna, right?"

"Well yeah, in a way."

"So there is a chance that this transformation ability is a family thing. If true, then maybe as their blood relative, there's a chance I could do the same thing, if I overcharge myself."

"Woah, woah, woah." Discord appears in front of him "You are telling me. That you plan to connect and synchronize your magic with the moons, so to see if that can transform yourself into a stallion of darkness, all because of a hunch that it might be something that you inherited, and the only reason why you can't at the moment is because you don't have enough magic?"

"More or less yeah, and for that, I need to test my theory. And if this astrology book is accurate..." He shows Discord the book in question, "My aunts had moved it for so long, and so many times that it's become its own self sustaining magic source. So if I'm wrong, I could still gain an extra external power supply to draw from. One rather large and powerful magic supply…one that I could use to overcharge and overpower Jet Set with until he can't take anymore" Blueblood mumbled starting to think of possibilities "What happen if a horn is an overcharged with external magic?"

"It explodes" Discord answer "But no pony has ever done this before, we don't even know if it is safe, or what would happen! "

"Yep," Blueblood agreed and then sat down,

"But why go to such lengths? You could think of something else? The only thing that is limiting you is your own imagination? Why do you want to transform into something like this?" He asks picking the book and pointing at the image of Nightmare Moon.

"Part of it is because I'm intrigued how it happens, the other is…well, growing up I was always fascinated with the idea of transforming. Breaking your limits and become something more powerful and cool. I know it's childish of me but, the idea of having a transformation fills me with excitement. So, you want to help me?"

"Are you kidding? This is reckless, potentially dangerous, with a meager chance of success and impossible to predict what would happen? What are we waiting for? Of course, I will help! This is exactly what I was talking about." Discord exclaimed with a giant smile in his face.

"Pure chaotic, human way of thinking. What do you want me to do?"

"Well," Blueblood scratched the back of his head with some embarrassment, "For this to work I obviously need to work at night, so it would help if this room has that condition all the time. But I'm not so sure if it isn't even possible for you to…"

"Done!" Discord snapped his fingers, and everything became night time around him. "By the way, the spirit of chaos! If it makes no sense? Of course, I can do it." He says, slightly irked by being doubted.

"Discord, please tell me that you didn't just take away my aunt's night," Blueblood asked terrified of the implications of what Discord just did.

"Relax I only took a small chunk of it, she won't notice." Discord assured him with a dismissive wave of his paw.

Meanwhile out in a small sector of the wastelands

A rather confused lizard looked at the sky which suddenly became dawn while everything around his location was still the middle of the night.

Back at the castle

"Now let's start this show!" Discord stated with anticipation.

"Ok, but I should warn you, this spell requires concentration and silence so things might get really boring pretty fast," Blueblood warned as he sat in the middle of a ritual circle while facing the full moon, then closed his eyes to start meditating. the Ronin's horn began to shine before it sparked and sent him flying, crashing down into his pile of books.

"Well, maybe it won't be so boring after all," Discord said with a chuckle, "Are you ok Blue?"

"Note to self, the moon has an enormous amount of magic on its surface. So do not rush pulling it in all at once, just give me a minute Discord. I will be there as soon as the room stops spinning and the air stops tasting purple." Blueblood responded, making the spirit chuckle and shake his head. "Better put a healing dome too just in case." He mumbled as Blueblood soon returns and starts all over again.

As time went by, the ex-prince confined himself in the library wholly, dedicating his full attention to perfecting the spell and testing his theories, forgoing all other studies and activities. Succeeding in finding out new ways and methods to use his raw magic, with the aid of the moon.

By maintaining the charge in his horn, he figured out a way to manipulate and control his aura. Succeeding in creating a method to give himself hands at the ends of his hooves. They took the form of a durable magical, construct that looked much like knights vambraces.

By covering his entire body in magic and then aiming, he discovered a new type of teleportation that allows him to send a projection of his body anywhere, that upon contact exploded in a wave of electricity. The charge was not particularly lethal, but with enough energy, it could paralyze and disorient an opponent for a brief couple of seconds. And by sacrificing the lower half of its body and reduce its side, he succeed in launch them at the speed of a bullet, making them seeking micro missiles

And finally, by focusing his energy in his throat, he managed to convert a simple whistle into a sonic cannon capable of shattering stone, with the drawback of leaving his throat sore afterward.

All of these had been small victories that the ex-prince took particular pride in, yet his main objective still seemed far off. Despite that, the ex-prince found new vigor and kept marching forward, determined to finish this spell. At first, Discord took joy in his failures, as he was recording them all, but when Blueblood started to limit his brakes to eating, sleeping and bathroom necessities, the spirit of Chaos began to worry. Soon, even he was expelled from the library, and Blueblood was indeed left alone to finish his work.

Breathing heavenly, the Ronin, lay limp in the ground after yet another attempt failed. His body was begging him to stop as sparks flew from his horn erratically.

Come on!

He slammed a hoof into the floor in frustration before looking back to the book that started it all.

What am I doing wrong?

He mentally asked himself as he stared at the picture of Nightmare Moon before sighing and looking at it again with sadness as he passes his hoof over her face.

"It must have been a horrifying experience, right Auntie?" He lightly chuckled as he talked to himself. "One can only wonder and fear, what thoughts of jealousy and anger were coursing through your mind that ni…"

His eyes widened at the revelation. "Emotions." He says out loud before stumbling back to the circle. That is what I was missing! Starswirl said to clear my mind, but that is to move, not to connect, I need to use my heart instead of my head!

He was about to start the spell once again but stopped and took a deep breath, then closed his eyes.

Calm down, and don't overthink it.

Blueblood instructed himself as he slowly started all over again, picturing the moon in his head and then his aunt Luna, bringing a smile on his face as he recalled all the moments he spent together with her.

I love you, Auntie…

A tear fell from his eye as the wind started to swirl around him.

The night is more than just darkness and terror, it about peace…about discovering hidden wonders… It's about dreams and hopes. The night is the beauty of exploring the unknown. That is what you wanted to show them, right aunt Luna?

The Ronin smiled as his cutie mark lit up once more, and he started to feel his body filling with magic. The objects around him began to levitate and orbit around. His eyes snapped open glowing white with arcane power. Before him, he could see the silhouette of Nightmare Moon with eyes made of white light staring right at him with a neutral expression, judging.

The prince smiled and closed his eyes once more "I'm not afraid" He quietly informs the silhouette making a small smile of light appear on her face before it took a step closer, engulfing him in a purple mist that starts to spin and shine with a dim light, creating the illusion of an egg, with Luna's cutie mark in the center of it. The objects start to orbit faster, reaching a fever pitch as thunder flashed within and without the egg as it began to pulse. The storm soon hit some shelf sending papers flying all around the ex-prince, as the egg floated up to the middle of the room.

While all of that was happening, the founders and Discord were at the entrance, debating whether or not they should enter and utterly unaware of the storm inside.

"Ok, I going in," Hurricane states in exasperation as she approaches the library entrance, only for Platinum to stop her.

"Hurricane no! We can't get in his way. This is something he needs to solve alone!"

"It has been 3 months already! I think he's had enough time!" She argued back. "Come on girls, don't you think that maybe we went a bit too far? He was ready and eager to go back home when I was done with him." She explained. "If he is not ready, then it's fine we can always think on some other…where is Pudding Head?" Hurricane asks quickly when she notices the absence of both her and Discord and when looking back, she saw them both opening the door.

"Wait!" Platinum tried to stop them, but it was too late as they walked inside only to be blasted back by a wave of magic that knocks everyone off their hooves.

"What is going on?" Platinum asks after recuperating from the blast and shaking her head to clear it, her companions soon doing the same.

"My most sincere apologies, dear founders." The voice of Blueblood caught them all off guard as they all look up to the libraries entrance seeing a sliver of pure night within. Bluebloods silhouette calmy approaching them while completely concealed in shadow. "It appears that my spell took more time to master than that I originally thought." The chamber gradually got brighter. When Blueblood finally stepped out into the hall they could see that his entire body was smoking and he had some bags under his eyes, but it was his grinning face of victory that they all noticed first. "But now it is finally completed, and if I may ask, is there anything else you wish to teach me before we depart?"

++Stop the music.++

The founders blinked a couple of times before shaking their heads in a no.

"Great, in that case, would you mind if I rest for the day? So we can then depart tomorrow?"

"Ah…I don't see why not?" Platinum answered for her and her companions.

"Thank you, dear founder." Blueblood gives them a small bow before heading to his room.

"Wait!" Pudding Head called out from behind him.

"Yes?" Blueblood looks back to see her.

"Before you go tell us, what was the result? Did you transform? Or did you just get a massive battery?" She asks with wonder, the others matching her expression as they all wanted answers. To their surprise, Blueblood only chuckled and shook his head. "Oh founder, as much as I would love to indulge you with an explanation, I'm exhausted. So I beg of you if you let me rest I will gladly tell my findings on our way back to Equestria. I would also be more than happy to give you a practical demonstration of my accomplishments on my dEaR fRiEnD Jet Set." He informs her with a small glare as his eyes flash white and for an instant his voice took on a demonic echo, startling the founder.

just as quickly Blueblood returned to normal and smiled. "For now, I really would like to retire to my bedchambers, good night fair maidens. Sir Discord." He gives them a polite courtly bow once again before leaving.

"Well, …at least my lessons of etiquette have been paying off." Platinum tells proudly by her work.

"Yeah, well just don't let that get to your head," Hurricane mentioned with a quick roll of her eyes as they all go to their rooms minus Pudding Head who looked at Discord still staring at the library.

"Are you coming Discord?"

"In a second, I'm just admiring our student's handy work." He tells with a smirk.

"What do you mean?" She asks confused until she peeks inside the room and sees just how completely demolished it was. It looked like an explosion without fire just ripped through in the middle of it.

"Wow." Pudding head mentioned, impressed by the level of destruction. "Our colt is ready."

Suddenly a lightbulb blinked into existence over Discord with a ding before he grabbed it and started to chew on it thoughtfully. "Not quite, there is just one little detail missing."

"Really? What?"

"A graduation gift!" He proclaimed before looking back at Pudding Head. "See you tomorrow, oh, and maybe someone should do something about those guards at the entrance." He suggests before snapping his fingers and then disappearing.

"Sure I will look into…wait, what guards?" She asked herself in alarm.

The next day

Stretching his body, Blueblood welcomed the morning sun with a smile. "God it feels so good to have a good nights sleep." He tells himself.

"Well, someone is a good mood." Platinum smirked as she and the founders approached the prince, all of them forgoing their usual outfits and were instead sporting 3 hooded cloaks with Pudding Head passing an extra one to him, along with some saddlebags.

"Ah good morning, Chancellor, Commander, Princess." Blueblood greeted them. "Can you blame me? Today we return home. Sure it will be hard to explain and a bit weird when I'm returning with the 3 founders of Equestria, but it still will still be great to go back."

"Don't get ahead of yourself Rookie, this isn't over yet." Hurricane reminded him. "You still remember the plan?"

"Yes, we will lay low, see how bad everything is in the country, and fix the biggest problems we can find, before heading to Canterlot," He repeats back to them with a nod as he pulls the hood up on the cloak that the Chancellor had given him.

"Good, in that case, let's go!"

"But before that..." Discord calls out behind them appearing out of thin air while holding a wooden box, surprising everyone. "I have a parting gift." He offered the box to Blueblood.

"Ah…thanks?" Blueblood takes the box unsure by his actions. "What is it?"

"Just a little something, for all the fun you four gave me." He tells with a smile. When opened, Blueblood was surprised to find a single crown made of silver for his head. Beneath the crown lay a matched pair of broadswords, each blade sheathed in a rich black leather and wood scabbard that was looped through by a sturdy belt with silver metal accents. Carefully removing the weapons, Blueblood took note of the D ring guard and blade catches that perfectly matched with the belt and crown. Carefully gripped the blackwood handle and removed one of the swords from its resting place. He noted the black wavy pattern in the dark metal and which turned to a gleaming silvery edge.

"Wow Discord, I…I don't know what to say? You made them?" Blueblood asks, fully unsheathed the blade and held it easily in his hoof eying that same silvery edge as it terminated into a sharp point. Then gave the blade a careful flourish to test its weight and balance. He was pleased to find that it was nimble and easy to maneuver in the hoof. Sheathing the blade back into its scabbard and the prince buckled the swords on with practiced ease before drawing forth the blade with blinding speed to stand on guard. Noting how easy and natural it was to do so. His training paid off as he was able to hold and move so freely with these new additions.

"Since when are you are a blacksmith?" Hurricane questioned Discord with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh Hurricane dear, do you think I could do something as orderly and refined as those two beauties?" He answers with a chuckle. "No, I didn't make them…buuut I do happen to know an excellent blacksmith that made them from me using an excellent material." He confides in them with an evil smirk.

"Discord, what did you used for the metal?" Hurricane asks with some worry, making the Draconequus giggle. " Just the remains of Nightmare Moon's Adamant armor." He answers honestly.

"The what?" Everyone looked at the spirit of Chaos in surprise.

"Well, if he is going to fight to recover his honor and his title of prince, I think it fitting that he used a family heirloom, don't you agree?"

"I suppose so," Blueblood answered as he held the swords in the sky. He could feel the metal, warm and calm in his hoof, despite being associated with such terrifying mare, the prince didn't feel afraid of it. In a way, it made him feel secure. "they're perfect, thank you Discord. Really"

"Aren't you going to put on the crown too?" He offers said object in anticipation.

"Not yet, I want to earn it fair and square. The symbolic implication of putting it on after beating Jet Set is just too delicious." He tells in excitement. "Oh but you can bet your bottom bit I'm going to use these beauties though!" Blueblood drew his other sword and steps away from the group before falling into his preferred guard poised to move, attack or defend before weaving his way through a dancing pattern of flashing steel, punishing blows, solid guards and deft movements, familiarizing himself with the weapons that were quickly growing to be his favorites.

When the Ronins improvised drill ended, Hurricane chuckled and shakes her head. "You know Rookie, it's customary to name your weapon once you found your ideal one." She mentions. "Why not make it official and gave them proper names."

"Oh! May I suggest perhaps Loki and Eris?" Discord suggested.

Blueblood for his part laughed and shook his head. "Thanks for the idea, but I think I know what to call them." He stares at his swords in contemplation. "I think I will call them…Llamrai and Hengroen*."

"Llamrai and Hengroen? Hmm, I suppose it fitting giving your origins." Platinum commented "Let go with that" She smiled and then turned to the entrance. "Now come along dear, there's a long trip ahead of us, and we still need to free those soldiers Celestia send to find you." She stated conversationally while charging her horn.

"Wait, my aunt did what?" Blueblood looked back at her in confusion.

Author's Note:

Song: L'Arena
From: Kill Bill

*King Arthur war horse (in their mythology is unclear which one of them is his, since the legends keep changing the names they used)

PreviousChapters Next