• Published 3rd Jul 2018
  • 44,100 Views, 5,441 Comments

The Humble Prince - Lighting Ace



A man wakes up to find he's inhabiting the body of a cartoon horse who wasn't exactly Mister Popular, judging from how shocked the locals are when he says things like 'please' and 'thank you'.

  • ...
190
 5,441
 44,100

PreviousChapters Next
Third Team, Enter The Sandmen (Edited By BS)

Arriving at the train station of Appleloosa, Blueblood and Nefertiti were greeted by an unusual scene. The town seemed to have been battered by a heavy sandstorm as golden dunes were spread everywhere, as far as the eye could see. Like Las Pegasus, every living being was in a deep slumber, though, unlike the rest of the world, they were lying on the ground or on top of the sand hills rather than inside flowers.

For such reasons and by Nefertiti's suggestion, their soldiers fanned out to scout ahead to ensure the area was secure before they left the train. Something that Blueblood didn’t quite like, but he couldn't argue with her logic, so he had no choice but to sit and wait while watching their guards clear the area through a window.

"I hate this," He complained, glancing at Nefertiti, who was currently reading a book in front of him.

"Hmm?" She looked at him overtop of her book as he stared at her.

"We are waiting for them to roll out the red carpet. We should be out there helping, not sitting around doing nothing."

"I know how you feel, but we must be cautious Bluey." She calmly reasoned while lowering her book. "We have no idea what we are facing, what to expect, or how many traps could be waiting out there to be sprung. That is why we need to establish a basecamp and to do so. We need to ensure the terrain is safe and to do that. We need to send out a unit to ensure the place is safe." She goes back to reading. "And until then, we must stay here and wait."

Blueblood can only sigh and nod. "I still don't like it." He looked at the window forlornly. "I feel like I'm sending them into danger, so we don't have to be in it ourselves."

Nefi also signed, in agreement. "Yeah, I hate that too, but I'm afraid it's a necessary evil." Looking at the prince, she put the book down and grabbed his right hoof with her paw, trying to reassure him with a calm smile. "Have faith in them, Bluey. This is exactly what our soldiers were trained and taught to deal with. Like how we were raised to act as their pillars for security and confidence."

Taking a deep breath, he stared at her paw before looking into her eyes and smiling, nodding once. "You are right, and I need to have more faith in my soldiers, just like you put your trust in yours." He gripped her paw with both hooves as she did the same.

At that moment, a knock, followed by Ground Breaker, and the captain of Nefi's guard, a white tiger in a ninja-attired suit, marched in. "Your highness, the area..." The guards stopped once the two saw the royals holding hands and tilted their heads. "Your highnesses?"

Confused, Nefi and Bluey looked at their paws and hooves before breaking apart and standing up. "You were saying, sergeant?"

"We just completed scouting the area. It is safe for you to exit the train."

"Excellent. Any traps?" Nefi asked her captain as he shook his head.

"Nothing is hidden, but we have confirmed that the sand is enchanted. The effects are slower, but it causes drowsiness quickly, and continued exposure would result in falling into a deep slumber. The latter is speculation, but we wouldn't want to risk confirmation."

"What about the locals?" Blueblood questioned as the four headed to the exit.

"All safe and sound, thank Celestia. Should we collect them and place them in tents, your highness?" Ground asked as they stepped outside. Blueblood shook his head.

"No, constructing the tents alone would rob us of precious time. Find the largest buildings in town, then secure and convert them into our base of operations. Put the residents there and use the adjacent buildings to establish the base and a medical center further." Blueblood began while Nefrititi continued without missing a beat,

"While maintaining a perimeter and sending a squad to collect as many resources from the local stores. The rest of you will work with the unicorn guard to clear as much golden sand as possible. I want this town to be as safe as possible before we move to the Mirage. Remember what Pinkie and Sparrow told us, Sharp Shooter's goons might be close, so stay alert."

"Yes, sir!"

"Yes, ma'am!" Both soldiers saluted and moved to fulfill their orders.

"See? Now we have a little idea of what we are facing and what to expect." Nefi winked at Blueblood with a smile on her face as they looked around town, seeing their soldiers preparing a base and working together to place the citizens safely in a long event center with a dance floor inside, probably for significant events, with enough space to house all of them. "As well as to who exactly we are facing."

"What are you talking about?" He raised an eyebrow while Nefi looked at the horizon toward where the spa rested.

"Our objective is 20, maybe 30 kilometers from this location. Our foe made their move two and a half weeks ago, and yet this town? The closest one to them was left completely untouched, with no traps, no base, no obstacles, nothing other than the sand. Since entering the desert, we have yet to face a single problem despite coming so very close to our goal. Whoever we are facing either doesn't care about expanding or is overly confident with his hideout and didn't bother making it safer, and even that is debatable."

She lowered her arms and shrugged. "all that without mentioning the number of bodies just sleeping everywhere without being trapped inside plants."

"So what? You are saying we are facing the vice of sloth here?"

"Well, what else could it be? This isn't the work of wrath, I don't see how Gluttony could even add up to this, and this wasn't a caper concocted out of pride."

"No, you are right. Sloth is practically written all over the place. They didn't even initiate this; they took advantage of lust and shooed it into their agenda at the last second. Or rather stopped doing what they were doing." Blueblood admitted with a defeated sigh, "Yet that doesn't make it any easier."

Nefi brought him closer to her. "Are you sure you will be ok with this?"

"Not completely, but I still need to do this." He nodded once before looking at her. "They are my aunts, Nefi. Whatever family drama is going on, I need to at least try to solve it."

She smiled and nodded, closing her eyes before opening them again as they looked at the horizon. "So what's the plan?"

"First, we will reach the previous unit's camp and see what happened there. And find out if my aunt Luna is still there, and if so, her soldiers. A small detachment will split off to bring them back to town while the rest of us advance until we reach the spa."

"And once we reach it?"

He looks at her with a smile. "Then I will trust my sergeant and your men to take the lead and form a plan for us to get inside that building " She smiled and nodded.

"That sounds like a good plan. But before doing any of that, we should inform Sparrow about how we are progressing.

"Agreed" They activated their earpieces and contacted the base in Las Pegasus. "Team leader here in reporting, Captain Sparrow. Do you hear me?" Blueblood opened the link, but they both stood confused when they only received static in response.

"Captain Sparrow, come in?" He repeated.

"Anyone out there? Can you hear us?" Nefertiti asked as they started to get worried, and after some tense moments, they finally got a response.

"Not a good time, sugarcube," Applejack finally responded as they both heard the sound of fighting in the background.

"A.J.? What is going on" Blueblood questioned as the two tried to listen over the din.

"Heck if I know. Everything was going well this morning, but suddenly the sky turned cloudy, and light cracks started appearing everywhere." A.J. explained before dodging around a giant hand, turning around, and bucking the head of a faceless creature turning it back into normal sand. "Next thing we know, sand starts pouring in from everywhere, and when Triceps sent out a group to see what happened, the piles took a human appearance and started attacking us."

"What?!" Blueblood and Nefi exclaimed simultaneously in fear.

"Don't worry, Hestia and her griffins managed to gather up a twister to blow the bulk of these varmints away, but a good chunk of them still managed to get inside the hotel." She took cover behind a desk before another monster could grab her. "Triceps and his minotaurs are holding the line and pushing them back, but we have our hooves tied up at the moment, sugar cube. You will have to call back later."

Running away, A.J. cut the link leaving both royals alone as they looked at one another. "Nefi, you don't think..."

"I...I'm still deciding. If this was their plan, why would they attack our bases like that? According to Applejack, they have the advantage of appearing everywhere. Still, they are erratic, without a clear goal, and are easy to deal with." She started to think, "If I had to guess, I would say this sounded more like a reaction to an opportunity rather than a planned attack..."

Her thoughts are interrupted when a lightning flash briefly blinded them, followed by unusual crackling throughout the sky. Looking up, they saw a light crack starting to form, putting them on alert.

"Guards to me! Protect the royals!" Someone shouted, and before they knew it, a group of soldiers formed around both royals, weapons ready and waiting.

Everyone braced for whatever might appear as the breach grew larger and larger until it finally split open. Showing through the cracked portal, an equine figure jumped out to land in front of them. The portal closed, and the guards kept their weapons at the ready while one of them slowly approached the intruder.

When they heard a groan, everyone tensed and waited for the figure to stand up, revealing a mare with light orange fur, a two-toned yellow and red mane and tail carrying a purple saddleback, wearing a lab coat, and having a cutie mark of the sun with red and yellow on it, as well as a strange silver device acting as a wristband on her right frontal hoof.

Holding her head in pain, she tried to stop her head from spinning as she rubbed her forehead "Dear Celestia, how did Starswirl make a portal work smoothly and painlessly? Please tell me it worked." She said to herself as her eyes finally adjusted, and she realized all the ponies around her were pointing their weapons at her and eyeing her worryingly.

" Ahhhhh...Don't worry, everypony, I'm not an enemy," She tried to de-escalate the situation. "You could say I'm here to help? Something tells me we are all having the same problem right now."

"Stand down. Men," Blueblood ordered, surprising the mare as he slowly approached her along with Nefertiti.

"You know this mare, Bluey?" Nefi asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Just by the descriptions from my cousin, orange fur, mane and tail of fire and sun type cutie mark. Excuse me, madam, by any chance, are you Sunset Shimmer?"

"I...am?" Sunset questioned, equally confused to see him of all ponies right now. "And not to be rude, prince, but can I speak with the pony in charge here? I'm kind of in a hurry."

"You are looking at him, Ms. Shimmer" Ground was quick to answer with some anger at her informality. "So whatever you need to say, you can tell our prince."

"Wait, what?! You?! No, no, no, what about the princesses? What about Twilight?!" She asked in fear drawing the ire of the guards.

"They are all captured, and watch your tongue, mare. You will address our prince with respect!"

"Calm down, everypony." Blueblood once more ordered them to relax. "Her confusion is understandable." He then turned to Sunset with a sorrowful look. "But I'm afraid my guardstallions are correct, Ms. Shimmer."

"Ah, Sunset is ok," She corrected him.

"Right, Sunset, Twily has told me a lot about you, and if what half she told me is true, then your help would be greatly appreciated during these trying times, for you see," he stood to the side so she could see all the sleeping ponies being carried into the event center. "Equestria has been struck by a powerful foe that has captured even my aunt's and cousin. That is why we are here, actually." He points to the sky, and Sunset finally notices how the sun and moon appeared simultaneously, startling her even more. "You landed right in the middle of our rescue mission."

"What happened?" She managed to utter once she recovered from the initial shock as Blueblood shook his head

"Not here, come. We discuss this at the base." He invited her to follow. Once she nodded and stood, the guards escorted everyone into the improvised camp they had made. In the local rodeo arena, some soldiers converted the V.I.P. room into their command center. And closed the rooftop to turn the place into a fortress completely.

The moment they entered, the royals spent the better part of the next hour explaining all that had happened since they arrived at the hotel up until this very moment—opening the links to the rest of the channels so everyone available could hear of Sunset's situation.

By the story's end, Sunset tried her best to process everything that happened by recounting the order of the significant events. "So, to sum it up. All this time, Discord had six siblings, all with the same level of power as him, whose names start with the letter D, and one of them captured Twilight."

"Desire, and not only Twilight, but she also captured virtually the entire world except for several strategic zones, and she did so with the help of her brother Dream." Blueblood clarified.

"Right, those two, which is the reason why the sky is like it is and everyone is asleep, and you are the ipso facto ruler of Equestria, which has been like this for two and a half weeks now...and you are saying that you defeated Desire all by yourself, too."

"Not exactly by myself, but she had everyone under her influence, so kind of?" He shook his head. "Not important right now. Why don't you tell us how you ended up here?"

"S-Sure but first, can you give me some water? I need a moment to process everything."

"Oh, of course, one moment" He stood up from his chair and headed to a mini bar where there was a pitcher with cold water and a couple of glasses. While pouring the water, Sunset turned to Nefertiti and got closer to whisper.

"Ok, he can't hear us now. Tell me, how did you manage to defeat that spirit?" She asked, intrigued, "Or is she still out there, and he is only gloating about nothing?"

Nefi could only blink in confusion. "Ah, that is what happened."

"Yeah, Sunny, Blueblood saved us all from Desi that one time." Pinkie confirmed, chiming in through her earpiece.

"I can also attest to that, darling," Rarity confirmed as well

"It was quite the fight, that much I can tell you" A.J., who manages to find a short break from her conflict, managed to join the conversation as Sunset could only remain quiet and skeptical.

"Come on, girls. You are not really buying this, are you? Sure he seems like a good pony now, certainly an improvement from the bratty, narcissistic snob I once met a long time ago. But defeating a monster as strong as Discord? When the elements just so happened to come to his aid? Him being some kind of swordmaster? Please, not even I gloated that much when I was evil. Now really, how did you win?" She asked, not believing the story, but before the conversation could go any further, Blueblood returned with the water.

"Here you go."

"Thanks,"

Blueblood served her and Nefi a glass before sitting again in the makeshift circle the three made in the middle of the room.

"So that is our story. After that, we decided to split into teams, and you ended up with us by chance. The team in charge of rescuing the princesses."

She almost choked on her water at that comment and had to cough to recover her breath. "I'm sorry...what was that again?" She managed to whisper in between coughs

"We are heading to where my aunts were last seen to try and wake them up. Pinkie is in the dream landscape too. We concluded that if we worked together, we could rescue them one way or another. We would love it if you could join us, Sunset."

"But before we do anything else, I believe you owe us a story too, dear Sunset," Nefi reminded her and Blueblood. "You know plenty about us, but you have yet to disclose your own situation, and you also mentioned how we could be having "the same issue." Earlier on, one of our groups told us about strange sand creatures that appear out of breaches in reality, the same kind you appeared from."

"Wait, they didn't come from here?" She asked in shock, gaining the royals' attention and that of everyone who was listening.

"Seems like we both have problems in our worlds. Tell us, Sunset, what happened in your realm?" Blueblood asked calmly, trying to make sense of her situation and see if hers and his were connected somehow.

"That would be fair, after you explained everything happening here" Sunset nodded in agreement before sighing and looking out of a window. "I suppose it all started two weeks ago. At first, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, just your regular day at school with my friends when suddenly our phones got this alert." she explained by taking her cellular phone from her saddlebag and tried to open it until she remembered that she had hooves now.

"What is that?" Nefi asked curiously at the odd device.

"I will explain later." Blueblood replied, earning a confused look from Sunset before she used her magic to turn it on and showed them a captured picture of a storm cloud alert.

"At first, we didn't think much of it. Just a sudden storm was heading our area, and to be on the lookout for lighting. We have had those before, so nobody paid too much attention. But the next day, this happened." She slid the picture away and revealed the second. That of a statue outside a school with one side buried in the same golden sand they saw before.

"Wait, I think I know that statue. Twilight told me about it. Is that...the portal that connects to Equestria?" Blueblood questioned, and Sunset confirmed it with a nod earning the attention of Nefertiti.

"You will have to explain that, too, once this is over." She demanded gently, and Blueblood nodded in agreement.

"Anyway, the next morning, a sand hill burst out of the portal and blocked the way back to Equestria. And no matter what we tried, it didn't stop coming. What is worse, when someone tries to get close, this happens." She then showed them a video of the same humanoid creature emerging from the sand when someone that looked like Big Mac approached. It lunged forward and attacked him, putting him to sleep soon afterward.

Sunset, look at the video in sorrow. "We call them sandmen, and they have been terrorizing the town ever since then. I tried to call Twilight multiple times, but she never replied. Now I understand why. Things got worse when breaches in reality started appearing all over town, from which even more sand was pouring, creating more sandmen. It was clear that they came from Equestria, and without the mirror, my friends and I were forced to improvise a portal using one of the many breaches formed inside the school."

She chuckled briefly. "It was a stroke of luck that one of them happened to appear in the school lab. It took a couple of tries, but we managed to create a stable portal for me to seek help. That's when you found me." She ended her story with a tired sigh and a sorrowful look staring down at the ground. "Now I see things are much worse here, and what's worse, it seems the sandmen are starting to invade here as well."

"True, but it also shines a light onto various questions we have been having." Blueblood started to ponder along with their companions.

"Yeah, like how the amulet you gave me keeps moving around," Pinkie mentions. "I didn't notice it before, but there are sand holes in the desert dream," she said, looking around.

"They are the same color and seem to be acting the same way as they do here, plus the added sandmen reaction," Sierra concluded.

"Twilight once told us that magic in that world acted differently than ours or didn't react at all." A.J. mentioned. "it seems to be one of those kinds of reactions."

"Remember the timing. It all started with that storm warning," Triceps reminded everyone "Sunset, that picture you showed Nefi and Blood. By any chance, does the warning mention where it formed first?"

Sunset's eyes went wide in realization. "I never thought about it, but you're right. It should say." She inspected the picture again. "I didn't pay close attention because I didn't pay much mind to it, but now that you say that...No!" She froze in fear once she read the article more carefully. "I should have realized it sooner."

"What is it, Sunset? What did you find?" Skystar asked, intrigued.

"It says that the storm formed over a secluded desert island in what is essentially the middle of the ocean" She went pale and slowly looked at them. "And I recognize that island. I ended up there once during a school trip. There is a portal to Equestria hidden beneath some quicksand."

The royal's eyes went wide, and they looked at each other. "A doorway comfortably hidden in what he is made out of." Nefi observed.

"Into a world where he doesn't have to risk disappearing for not doing his job." Blueblood added.

"And with the world asleep, I'm pretty sure he has enough force to make the trip or move the portal to the spa," Hestia concluded. "It makes sense, plus Luna and Celestia are probably the only ones that could undo his work, so he would have to take them with him for safety, which explains why Pinkie can't find them."

"But I don't get it. If he is there, how come his magic still affects us?" Pharynx questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh! Oh! I know, I know, Desi told me while we were talking about her dreams. She told me that all of them could detect each other through some weird cosmic connection, and right now, Dream seemed to be stuck between two dimensions. Maybe Sunset's one is the one where he went, and he isn't stuck but rather put himself like that on purpose."

Everyone went silent at that revelation and thought. "So that's where he went," Nefi mentioned dryly, breaking the silence.

"That is the least of our problems." Sunset suddenly said, standing up. "Nefi is right. This is what is causing all the breaches, my Twilight once did something similar, trying to force open a portal, and the same thing occurred but not nearly as destructive, and that is not the biggest issue. How tall is this griffin again, exactly?"

"According to Pinkie, he is the size of a large hill or a small mountain," Blueblood answered.

Now all the colors of Sunset are drained from her body. "That's what I feared. When Twilight did it, it was roughly the size of a chariot, which was enough to start tearing reality apart. If we don't move that bird soon with how big he is, the stars only know the damage he could cause."

"By the great Bastet," Nefi, as well as everyone else, realized what she was saying.

"I'm not a quantum physicist, but I'm pretty sure a tear in reality the size of a mountain can't be good in any way." Blueblood nodded in agreement "it seems like the plan just changed everypony." He informed the open line, "This rescue just became our top priority, with two worlds at stake." He glared into the distance, in the direction of the spa.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to morbiusgreen, for suggest an idea of including EG into this little adventure

Thanks Morbius

PreviousChapters Next