• Published 19th Jun 2018
  • 2,469 Views, 45 Comments

Broken Family, Healed Family - Amos Anon



What do you do when your entire family is forced into Equestria because of a Nuclear apocalypse? Well, for me, the only brony in the family, I guess it means I'm now a guide... Albeit a really, really poor one.

  • ...
6
 45
 2,469

Revelations of Earth and Equestria

“No, Pinkie.”

“Oh, come on, pleeeaaaasseeee?”

“No.”

“I’ll only do it once! I promise!”

“I. Said. No.”

“But I really wanna!”

“Too bad. I don’t wanna.”

“But it’ll be a bangin’ good time!”

“I don’t do that kind of stuff, Pinkie. We’ve discussed this before. If I wanted to do THAT, I’d only do it with very close friends.”

“Aww, you’re no fun!”

I glared at Pinkie. “You’re not throwing me a ‘Welcome to Equestria’ party, Pinkie, and that’s final. And besides, I’ve lived here for over a year now, isn’t it a little late for that?”

Pinkie pouted. “Only because you keep avoiding me!”

I groaned, and dragged a hoof over my face. “Pinkie, I’ve told you before that I only do parties with my immediate family and close friends. I’m just not comfortable in large crowds of people for any length of time.”

“Then let me throw a party for just your family!”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because the parties that you throw have cake, and candles, and streamers, and balloons...”

“Yeah, and?”

“Pinkie, my idea of a fun party is a potluck dinner with my friends and family. I don’t need all those fancy decorations to have a good time. Also, alcohol.” Not to mention I can’t handle your hyperactivity for too long. Pinkie as a cartoon character was fun and cute. Pinkie as a real-life being is just plain scary.

Pinkie’s eyes welled up, and her mane seemed to deflate.

Uh Oh.

“You… you think I’m… scary?”

Did I say that out loud? “Pinkie, I didn’t say that.”

“You didn’t have to. It was in italics.”

… bloody 4th wall breaks.


Meanwhile…

The portal flashed, and Rose and Ixisten tumbled out. Twilight immediately flashed her horn to rid them of any radiation while Twi caught Rose, letting Ixisten fall to the ground with a grunt of pain.

“Where’s Percy?”, asked Twilight as Rose pushed Twi off her, insisting she was fine.

Ixisten scrambled to his hooves. “He stayed behind to talk to that mysterious person! The idiot!” He tried to force his way to the portal, but was stopped by Twilight’s magic field as Twi quickly placed her forehooves on a lever, forcing it downward. The portal flickered out of existence, leaving the bare surface of a mirror standing in the library of Twilight’s castle.

Ixisten whirled on Twi, his face twisting into rage. “Why did you do that?! Percy is still over there!”

Twilight's expression was pained. “There’s nothing we can do, Ixisten! Unless you want a lethal dose of radiation to cover every inch of Ponyville!”

“But Percy will get ripped to pieces by that storm!”

Rose held up a hoof. “Didn’t that guy say that he had a shelter? What if Percy managed to make it there before the storm hit?”

The group turned and looked at her, expressions worried.

“Are you sure? Is that what you heard?” Twilight placed a hoof on Rose’s wither, her gaze intensifying. “Are you 100 percent sure that’s what he said?”

Rose rubbed her shin with a forehoof. “Well, I’m pretty sure...”

“I heard it, too.” Interrupted Ixisten. “Dang it, Percy. Taking risks like that. We don’t know who that guy is, who knows if he was telling the truth!”

Twilight brushed her forelock out of her eyes, sighing. “Well, we’re just going to have to trust that Percy made it to the shelter in time. Who knows, maybe there are more survivors on Earth. If that’s the case, then we have to find a way to save them. I don’t see how anyone could survive in conditions like that for long.”

Ixisten grunted, still not happy with how things had turned out. “Moto’s not going to like this.”


Meadows reached out, poking Percy’s face with an outstretched finger, not seeming to believe what was before him.

“It… Percy?”

Percy nodded.

Meadows moved his hand over his mouth, tears welling up in his eyes. “You’re alive?”

Percy smiled. “I’m here, in the flesh.”

“…and your family?”

“Everyone’s alive and well.”

“But… how?”

Percy rolled his eyes. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

“After what I’ve survived, you’d be surprised.”

Percy decided to ignore that comment for now, instead opting to pull Meadows into a hug. Meadows erupted into tears, sobbing into Percy’s shoulder. It was at this moment that Percy noticed that Meadows was quite a bit thinner than he remembered from a year ago. What happened to you?

“I thought you were all dead. After what happened to Mom and Dad, I thought...”

Percy’s heart sunk at that news. “It’s okay now. There’s a safe place that we ended up. Everyone there has been really nice to us, and we’ve been living there for the last year. I could take you with me when we go back.”

Meadows pulled away from the hug, and wiped his nose with the back of a hand. He chuckled through his tears. “Man, I’m a mess. You know you’re the first human contact I’ve had since...” He trailed off. “Well, you know.”

Percy winced. “Yeah.” Awkward silence fell between the two, and Percy took the opportunity to observe his surroundings. The concrete-lined room that they were in was small, but efficiently laid out for a few occupants. A few bunk beds took up one corner of the room, while the rest was filled with metal shelving which held a dwindling supply of canned foods. Percy stood, and went over to one of the shelves. Ravioli, canned soup, bottled water… Not much left here. Suddenly, Meadows’ thinning frame made sense. He’s been rationing his food.

“Yeah, I'm running out. I was just about ready to go find another shelter before you guys showed up.”

Percy glanced over at Meadows. “How long before you're out?”

Meadows winced. “Probably about a month. It was supposed to be thirty years worth, but a bunch of it was spoiled when I got here. Probably another reason why this bunker was so cheap.”

Percy frowned. He’s been surviving on… he made some mental calculations. 2000 calories a day? That’s just on the edge of starvation for a guy of his body type.

Percy swore. “We’re gonna get you out of this, Meadows. I promise.”

Meadows tilted his head. “Speaking of, I could’ve sworn there were others with you. What happened to them? Hopefully they’re not out in this storm.” He winced. “You won’t find much left of them but a bloody smear if they were out in that.”

Percy smirked. “Oh, don’t worry, they’re fine.”

Meadows frowned. “Another bunker? I’m pretty sure I would’ve seen that in the last year if that was the case.”

“That’s because we didn’t come from a bunker.”

Meadows just blinked, a quizzical expression on his face. “Stop messing with me.”

Percy laughed. “Alright, but don’t be surprised by what I’m about to tell you.”

Meadows shrugged. “Not much that can surprise me at this point.”

Oh, just you wait. Well, here goes. “Have you ever heard of My Little Pony?

Meadows rose an eyebrow. “Well, yeah. I was a fan for a number of years before...”

Percy’s smile disappeared. Wait. Seriously? “What? You, too?”

“Oh yeah, I guess Moto was a fan, too.”

Percy’s mouth dropped. “You knew?”

Meadows snorted. “Of course I knew! You think we didn’t talk about it? Kinda hard to keep it from another fan.”

Percy facepalmed. “Well then, what if I told you that before… you-know-what, we found a portal to Equestria?”

Meadows’ eyes widened. “Seriously? Wow.”

“You seem awfully calm about this.”

“That’s because Mom was an Equestrian.”



...Percy.exe has stopped working.

“...”

“...”

“SERIOUSLY?”

“Yeah, It was hard for me to believe at first, too. Turns out she ended up on Earth after somehow getting sucked through some sort of dimensional rift. She didn’t tell us anything about her life over there, seeing as how she only had so much time before...”

Sweet Celestia. Percy sucked in a breath between his teeth. “You’re part Equestrian.”

“It would seem that way.”

Percy scratched at his scalp in agitation. “How are you not freaking out about this?”

Meadows shrugged. “I’ve had an entire year to come to terms with it. Kinda hard to worry about inconsequential stuff when you’re too busy trying to survive.”

Fair enough.

“So, you’ve met Twilight, then?”

Percy waved a hand. “Yeah, both Twilights, actually. And the ‘Mane Six’, as Moto likes to call them.”

Meadows smirked. “Yeah, he was always a bit of a nerd that way.”

Percy barked a laugh. “Aren’t you a brony, too?”

“Well, yeah, but there’s different kinds of bronies, you know. I was more of a casual watcher; Liked the show, but didn’t really get involved in the community beyond that. Moto, on the other hand...”

Percy chuckled. “Yeah, he kinda got into everything, didn’t he?” The two shared a chuckle, before they realized they were still wearing their radiation suits. “Well, I guess we should take these off. Getting kinda hot in here.”

Meadows agreed, and the two removed their suits in silence. After stacking the suits neatly on shelves seemingly designated for that purpose, Meadows and Percy chatted for the next hour or so, well aware of the storm raging above them. They talked of their lives, though Meadows seemed far more interested in Percy’s life than Percy did of his. After a short while, he began to understand why. Beyond basic survival, and the periodic storm, post-apocalyptic life on Earth was pretty monotonous. That being said, Percy did find out some interesting facts, such as the storms’ predictability; They came every three days, and always lasted for a day at a time.

As luck would have it, the portal wouldn’t be able to be opened for another 23 hours.

Convenient.

After much prodding, Meadows finally spoke about what had happened directly after the bombs had landed.

“Yeah...” Meadows sighed. “Not gonna lie. Those first few weeks were rough.” Percy waited patiently. “After the explosion, Mom and Dad, they... they’d only been able to afford the one radiation suit, and they insisted I wear it. They...” Tears streamed down his cheeks. “They left the bunker with no suits. They knew there wasn’t enough food for all three of us to survive for long. They chose to...” He sobbed. “They chose to save me by sacrificing themselves.” Percy offered Meadows a tissue, which he gratefully took. “I never saw them again. An hour after they left the bunker, a storm came through. I wanted to go out and look for them, but I knew I wouldn’t survive in those conditions. I… I considered ending it all a few times, but I couldn’t, you know? It would be a betrayal of the hope they’d placed in me.”

Percy’s eyes welled up. Uncle, Aunt; you two were the bravest people I’ve ever known. “Meadows, I… I’m sorry.”

Meadows snorted, and wiped away his tears with the now-damp tissue. “Don’t apologize. I’m proud of my parents, even though I wish it had been me instead of them.” He sighed. “I’ve been so focused on survival this past year that I never really took time to think about it. Now that I know I have somewhere to go, I can’t help but relax, and then I get thinking about it...”

Percy wrapped his arms around Meadows in an attempt to console his cousin. “We had a funeral back in Equestria for all those who’d died in the explosions. There was a statue erected in Ponyville so no one would forget what happened here. Your parents’ sacrifice wasn’t in vain, Meadows.”

Meadows pulled away from the hug, hiccuping. “Thanks, man.”

Percy nodded.


One day later

Ixisten stood nervously off to one side of the portal, his radiation suit freshly cleaned and restocked with absorption crystals. “How long?”

Twilight zipped from one contraption to another, making multiple minor adjustments to the mirror. “Patience, Ixisten. An extra minute or two won't make Earth disappear.”

Rose bounced in place beside Ixisten. “You don’t know that Twilight. We have no idea what might be on the other side of that portal.”

“Precisely, which is why no one will be going through the portal until we’ve established that it’s safe to do so. We got lucky last time that we didn’t open the portal while a storm was happening, so, IF YOU DON’T MIND, I would very much like it if you didn’t stand next to the portal when we open it. Starlight and I have erected a barrier that should stop any radiation from getting through, but better safe then sorry.”

Rose and Ixisten glanced at each other, the same thought echoing through their brains; SHOULD stop any radiation? They nervously shuffled away from the mirror, trying desperately to avoid getting in the Twilights’ way.

Twi gave Twilight the hooves up, and Twilight nodded before flipping the comically large lever. The room’s lights dimmed as electricity arced between the two ball thingies (The name of which escaped Ixisten at the moment. Hey, give him a break, he’s under a lot of pressure, alright?) on either side of the mirror. Then, with a final pop, the mirror’s surfaced shimmered, and began to swirl.

“Twi, check the power output levels.”

“Holding and steady, Twilight.”

“Starlight, can I get a radiation level?”

“Within normal parameters.”

Twilight breathed out a sigh of relief. “Good. Looks like we’re good to go, everypony.”

Rose uncharacteristically whooped, while Ixisten stood off to the side, looking nervously at the mirror. “I hope Percy’s okay.”

The atmosphere in the room sobered at that, and the group looked at each other, nodding resolutely.

“Okay, everypony, you all know the rules. Stick together, watch your radiation levels, and if anyone has any issues, don’t be afraid to speak up.” Twilight turned to Ixisten. “Since you have the most experience of everyone here of Earth, you’re in charge. What you say, goes. Is everyone clear?”

“Yes.”

“Aye.”

“Mmhmm.”

Twilight furrowed her brow. “Okay. Ixisten, you’re first.”

The yellow unicorn nodded, and stepped up to the portal. “Here goes.”

He stepped through the portal, his nervously swishing tail disappearing from sight.


Meadows stared at Percy, who’d just taken a sip from a water bottle. “You didn’t just drink that, did you?”

Percy blinked. “Uh, yeah?

Meadows covered his mouth with a hand, his eyes growing wide. “That’s not good! That’s Nitroglycerin!”

Percy froze. “What… what do I do?”

Meadows held up his hands, his voice growing desperate. “Don’t move, don’t breath, don’t do anything. Except pray… maybe...” Meadows suddenly slammed his hands against Percy, shouting “BOOM!”, and then fell over laughing.

Percy jumped back with a shout, before swearing explosively. He placed a hand over his chest, trying to calm his beating heart. “...You (Censored)!!! I thought I was going to die for a second there!”

Meadows continued to roll on the floor laughing, clutching his stomach with both hands. “Oh, the look on your face! You know how long I’ve been waiting to do that? Oh, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!”

Percy rolled his eyes, and shook his head, though a small smirk began growing at the corner of his mouth. “Alright, you got me.” He swung his pack over his back, offering a hand to Meadows. “Come on, we need to get going soon. Twilight will probably have the portal open soon, and I plan to be there for the occasion. I want to spend as little time here as possible.”

Meadows took the offered hand, still chuckling as Percy hauled him to his feet. The two suited up as quickly as they could, and stepped through the hatch into the anti-radiation chamber. Meadows stepped up to the outer hatch, and placed his hand on the locking wheel. He paused, and looked back at the room they’d just left, hesitating.

Percy waited, watching Meadows with a concerned expression.

Meadows sighed, shaking his head. “This is harder than I thought it was going to be.” Percy pursed his lips, but didn’t say anything. Meadows grasped the wheel harder, bracing himself against it. “Percy, can you close the door to the bunker?”

Percy tilted his head. “Are you sure you don’t want to take one last look?”

Meadows stood up straight, and puffed out his chest. “No.” He stared straight ahead, not turning his head either way. “I don’t ever want to see that room again.”

Percy nodded, and slammed the inner hatch behind them, sealing them into the room. He gave the thumbs-up to Meadows, who put his weight against the wheel, allowing the outer hatch to open. The two climbed the ladder, and after briefly struggling to get the final hatch open, stumbled out into the sunlight. Percy immediately took stock of their surroundings. He could see the brick outline of the portal ahead of them, though it didn’t seem to have been activated yet. I wonder how that arch has managed to stay standing through an entire year of those storms. He relegated that particular mystery to the back of his mind. It’s not important right now. I’ll let Twilight figure that out.

Broad Meadows closed the hatch behind them, sealing it away for the last time. Percy glanced at him in concern. Meadows simply shook his head, and began to determinedly stride toward the stone arch, Percy following along behind.

They didn’t have to wait long for the portal to begin to spark and fizzle, arcs of electricity working over the surface of a now-glowing swirling pattern. A startled Meadows jumped back from the portal, but quickly recovered as the glowing seemed to stabilize.

A hand pushed its way through, followed by the arm, and before long Ixisten, clad head to foot in a radiation suit, stood before Percy and Meadows. He stared at Meadows suspiciously, but didn’t say anything until the rest of the team piled through the portal. His focus switched between Percy and Meadows, his gaze narrowing into a glare.

“That was a stupid thing to do, Percy.”

Percy scratched the back of his head. “I won’t deny that. Sorry.” He broke into a smile. “Just you wait until you find out who this guy is, though.” He pointed at Meadows, who remained silent.

Twilight stepped up to the two, and glanced between them. She then turned her attention to Percy.

And slapped him.

Hard.

The 6’3” Man stumbled back from the force of the hit, clearly surprised at Twilight’s ferocity.

Meadows blanked. “Uhhhhh, did Twilight just hit Percy?” No one answered him, everyone too stunned to respond. Twilight stood before Percy, hands on her hips.

“You idiot!” She pointed at him accusingly. “Do you have any idea the decision you forced me to make?” Percy blinked. Twilight threw her hands up. “Seriously?” Percy shrugged apologetically. Twilight groaned, and facepalmed. “You don’t get it?” Percy shook his head no. Twilight sighed. “I’m a princess. As a princess, I have a responsibility toward the people of Equestria. When you chose to stay behind on Earth the last time we were here, I had to weigh the ponies of Ponyville against your life! Do you have any idea the kind of stress that placed on me?! I had to trust that somehow you would survive! If you’d died out here, I would have that on my conscience!”

Meadows looked on in confusion. “Royal duties?”

Everyone ignored him.

Twilight continued her tirade. “I expected something like this from Motodrop, not from you! I put you in charge because I trusted you to make good decisions, not spur-of-the-moment decisions that place you in danger!”

Meadows sighed. “Is she going Twilinanas?”

Twilight whirled on Meadows. “I am NOT going Twilinanas!” Meadows lifted an eyebrow. “Okay maybe a little Twilinanas, but that’s beside the point!”

Meadows shrugged. “Can we finish this after we go through the portal? I don’t want to spend another moment on this planet if I don’t have to.”

Twilight visibly deflated. “Right. Sorry. I guess Percy told you everything already?”

Meadows nodded. “Yeah; Princess Twilight. Mirror. Portal. Equestria. Ponies.” He held up a hand, index finger and thumb placed together in the ‘ok’ symbol. “I’m more or less caught up to speed.”

Ixisten stepped up, supporting a still-unsteady Rose with a shoulder. “Well, now that we know Percy’s okay, I guess we should send him and… Who are you?”

Meadows grinned. “Broad Meadows.”

Ixisten.exe has stopped working.

“...MEADOWS?! I thought you were dead!”

Meadows’ grin widened. “Likewise.”

Ixisten’s face paled in shock, while Twi, Rose and Twilight looked on in confusion.

“Do you guys know each other?”

Ixisten barked a bitter laugh. “Know each other? This guy’s our cousin!”

Twi stepped up. “What are the odds of that happening? It must be multiple billions to one!”

Percy chuckled. “Well, whatever the odds are, I’m glad they were in our favor.”

Twi placed a hand against her head. “But… for the portal to open up here, no more than twenty feet from someone’s bunker. The odds of that alone are staggering, let alone that it was inhabited, and by a relative no less! It doesn’t make any sense! It’s scientifically improbable!”

Twilight stepped over to Twi. “Sometimes there are wonderful things in this universe you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them.”

Meadows leaned over to Percy, and whispered; “Feeling Pinkie Keen.” Percy laughed, and whispered in return;

]

Ixisten, who happened to overhear the conversation, chuckled, and clapped his hands together. “Okay, for now, let’s just all go back through the portal. I don’t know when the next storm might pop up, so I’d rather we all just go back for now.”

Meadows raised a hand. “Actually, you guys should be safe for today and tomorrow. Those storms come every three days give or take a few hours, and generally last between 20 to 24 hours.”

Ixisten shook his head. “I think we should still go back. At least for today.”

Rose interrupted. “Hold on, that’s it? We’re not going to at least do some exploration?”

“Actually, I agree with Ixisten on this.” All eyes turned to Twi, who wilted slightly under Rose’s narrowed expression. “I mean, this particular trip was always a rescue expedition, not an exploration expedition. We’re not equipped to spend a few days out here, not to mention that Meadows here can give us enough information on the current climate for now. We can always come back later to gather more data.”

Rose pouted, but gave in. “Fine, but I want first dibs on the next trip.”

Twilight nodded. “Then it’s settled. Ixisten, if you will?”

Ixisten sighed, and turned. “Alright. Everyone back through the portal!” He unceremoniously pushed Rose through before following.

Meadows turned to Twilight. “Who was that girl? I don’t think I ever caught her name.”

“Oh, her? That’s Rose Williams. She’s a friend of Motodrop’s. She’s also his stylist.”

“His… what?”

“His stylist. Motodrop’s a… or he was a backup singer for Songbird Serenade. Rose works with him to prepare him for shows. She’s a human from Earth the same as you guys.”

Meadows grunted as Twi stepped through the portal after Ixisten. “A human from Earth. I have a lot of questions about that, but I guess they can wait until we’re through the portal.” He gestured to the portal. “Ladies first.”

Twilight smiled, and stepped through the portal, followed by Percy. Meadows paused, and took one last look at what had been his home for the last year. He snorted, turned his back to the world, and stepped through the portal.


Meadows stumbled as he emerged from the mirror, falling flat on his face as he tried to adjust to walking on four legs. “Okay, this is a little weird.” He managed to get his front hooves under him, though he was still wobbly.

Twilight and Starlight immediately cast a spell over everyone, removing any residual radiation as Twi pulled the lever to shut down the portal.

“Okay everypony, it’s safe to remove your suits now. Ah, Meadows, hold on.” Twilight smirked as she watched the now-quadruped attempt to remove his suit. “I can get that for you.” With a glow of her horn, the suit that was previously obscuring meadows’ form from the room disappeared, reappearing in a neatly-folded stack beside him.

Twilight gasped, as did everyone else in the room.

Meadows blinked. “What?”

Twilight pointed at Meadows with a hoof. “You’re… you’re a...”

Meadows looked down at his hoof, a lock of hair obstructing his view, almost as if he had a mane on his.. chest? “What the…?”

Author's Note:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh, you guys have no idea how long I've been waiting to do this reveal! Oh, sweet, sweet cliffhangers. I am now satisfied. I'm thinking one more chapter, and then I'll conclude this arc. I want to focus more on Motodrop's life in Equestria, and his relationship with Rose. I'll probably do a spinoff story focusing on a team of selected ponies who travel to Earth to rescue the people stranded there. Would that appeal to you guys? Let me know in the comments.

Anyways, I am Motodrop, and I'm steadily running out of Unique things to say...

Comments ( 10 )

First! Bahahaha!

9844536
Hahaha, we shall see.

9844555
Cackles evilly. All shall be revealed...


...in the next chapter.

X'D :rainbowlaugh:

Oh that was clever, Atlantis will always be an animated classic.

Also, Meadows as a Kirin? PLOT TWIST... :pinkiegasp:

:pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

nooooooo too good must have more please

With such a big family, the main character must be Italian.

11422498
Lol, Dutch actually.

11423315
I thought the protagonist was an immigrant from Italy.
Do the Dutch have a family tradition?

11423487
Oh, yes. My dad has six siblings, my mom has four, and I have five siblings. Our extended family Christmas before the pandemic was well over 100 people between all the cousins and their children.

Login or register to comment