• Published 19th Jun 2018
  • 2,469 Views, 45 Comments

Broken Family, Healed Family - Amos Anon



What do you do when your entire family is forced into Equestria because of a Nuclear apocalypse? Well, for me, the only brony in the family, I guess it means I'm now a guide... Albeit a really, really poor one.

  • ...
6
 45
 2,469

Chapter 9: Time for a Decision (Edited June 15th, 2021)

I can see a rainbow

in your tears as they fall on down

I can see your soul grow

Through the pain as they hit the ground

I can see a rainbow

In your tears as the sun comes out

As the sun comes out.
Sia- MLP Movie 2017


Sweet Apple Acres was oddly quiet. Everyone was going about their business as usual, but the cheerful conversation and friendly debate that usually accompanied our work was absent; everyone seemed to be thinking the same thing.

Stay or go?

Applejack and her family respectfully kept their silence, opting instead to leave us to our brooding. I, on the other hoof, after making a quick stop at Twilight's castle to send off a dragonfire letter, decided to go for a flight to clear my mind.

There was something about the open sky, the feeling of the wind through my mane that cleared my head and allowed me to think. It was eerily similar to the feeling of being on a motorcycle on Earth; that sense of freedom that allowed me to let off steam and relax my anxieties and stress.

I passed over Ponyville, watching the inhabitants go about their afternoon in seeming bliss. I smiled as I watched the CMC leave Sugarcube Corner with Blaze following after them, and wondered how hard it would be on him if Maelstrom and Anima decided to move to the other world. I thought about Chwerth and Vivid, who had both been ecstatic about meeting friends in their new school. I sighed.

Ultimately, It’s not up to me. Of course, if I’d remembered to inform everyone about the EQG world in the first place, we wouldn’t be in this situation. Yep. I was still feeling guilty about that, despite Twilight and Karra’s assurances otherwise. Maybe that was the real reason I was out flying, and not spending time with my family.

“Hey Moto. Out for a flight?”

I smiled at Rainbow’s sudden appearance beside me. “Hi Rainbow. Yep. I just needed some time to think.”

“... You want to talk about it?”

I looked at her askance, grinning mischievously. “You? Offer sound advice?”

She looked offended, and flipped around, pulling me up short, forcing me to hover. “Hey! I may not be an egghead like Twilight, but that doesn't mean I don't have life experience! And besides," She crossed her forehooves over her chest. "I never said anything about offering advice, I just asked if you wanted to talk about it."

Can’t argue with her there. I should know that better than anyone. “Right. Sorry... In all honesty, I could actually use a friend right now. I’m... a little afraid to face my family.”

Rainbow frowned, but spun around to fly beside me once again. “Why would you be afraid to face your family? Aren't you guys, like, really close?"

I hummed in thought. “Yeah, we are, but sometimes the people we're closest to are the easiest to let down... Especially with the kind of mistake I made."

"...Mistake?"

"It's a long story."

"I have time, and seeing that you're up here flying around, and not down at the farm helping out, I'm thinking you do, too."

...Rainbow is a lot smarter than I gave her credit for.

Rainbow caught my surprised expression, and glared at me cooly. "Just because I'm awesome, and am too cool for school doesn't mean I'm an idiot, Moto."

I winced. "I'm sorry. I haven't really been giving you enough credit."

"S'a'ight." She replied. "Sooo..." Rainbow rolled a hoof.

"So what?"

"So what happened? What mistake did you make?"

I sighed. "You know how we came through the portal, right?" Rainbow nodded. "Well, you're also aware of where that portal originally went to?" Another nod. "Well, Twilight, Starlight, and Starswirl got it working again."

"Okay, and...?"

"Well, guess who neglected to tell everyone that there was another world out there that was somewhat similar to their old home, because he was too excited about getting everyone settled in here in Equestria?"

The cyan mare winced. “Oh. Ouch. You seriously didn't tell them?”

"Well, it's more like I forgot to tell them."

"What... but how?"

“...Bad writing?”

“...”

We continued to soar around Ponyville, using the thermals to lazily drift above the clouds.

“So, how did they react? Were they angry?”

I sighed. “I think they were. At least a little. Like, how could I have forgotten about something so important? Of course, they’d never outright just tell me that they were angry at me.” I snorted. “My family isn’t exactly vocal about that kind of stuff. Sometimes I wish they’d just confront me and get it over with.”

“Is that why you’re avoiding them?”

“...”

“Of course, I could be wrong, but if you want to get something out in the open, that usually involves actually talking to them, not avoiding them.”

You know what... she’s right. But... “To tell the truth, Rainbow... There's more to it.”

“If it’s about your creepy knowledge of us six friends, Twilight told me about that already.”

I shook my head. “No, this is something completely different. You remember when Coloratura was here?”

She eyed me mischievously. “Oh yeah. I remember your little ‘friendly hug’ moment.”

I rolled my eyes. She’s never going to let that go, is she? “No. Look, Dash, Rara offered me a job.”

That got her attention. “She what?” Her mouth hung open, her wings flapping by instinct alone. “She offered you a job?!?” Like, a secretary job?”

“No, like a singing job through her agent.”

Rainbow stopped completely, coming to hover. “That’s so cool! So are you going to take it? Please tell me you're going to take it!"

I sighed in exasperation, coming to a stop beside Rainbow. “Believe me, I want to. But... I’m afraid of how my family will react."

“How could you not take that offer? That kind of thing is unheard of! That’s like... Getting into the Wonderbolts without having to go through the academy!”

Is everything about the Wonderbolts with you, Dash? “I know.” I felt like pounding my head against a wall. “I know, but what about my family?”

“What about them?”

“Are you serious? My family means everything to me! And if they decide to leave Equestria, then I’ll be stuck here on my own if I take that offer!”

“Sounds to me like you're more worried about being left alone than you are of what your family thinks of you." I raised a hoof to object before I realized that... she was right.

"...Is it pathetic that I think that?"

Rainbow snorted. "A little, but I wouldn't be too worried about being left alone in Equestria." Rainbow pointed downward. My eyes followed her outstretched hoof to see a yellow stallion with a brown and black mane sitting on a bench in the park...

Ixisten next to... Octavia? What..? When did that happen?The two seemed to be having a pretty serious conversation. “Yeeeaaaah, hey Rainbow, maybe we should give them some privacy.”

She shrugged. “Meh, they can’t see us up here. Why don’t we go closer and listen in?”

I glared at the rainbow-maned menace. “Not. A. Chance.”

“Aww, you’re no fun.”

“Rainbow, I take my siblings’ privacy very seriously. I would never jeopardize their trust in me like that... And don’t you even think about going down there behind my back. Seriously, Dash, I will break your neck if you even so much as try it.”

“That assumes you can even catch me.”

“Rainbow...”

“Alright, alright, fine. I won’t go down and spy on them.”

“Also, me getting an offer from Coloratura stays between us for now.”

“Not a problem. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." Rainbow performed the motions of the Pinkie promise. "Happy now?”

“Absolutely delighted."

“Whatever, dude.”

We continued our flight, taking a turn toward the Everfree Forest.

“Hey Rainbow...”

“Hmm?”

“I know this might seem a little out of nowhere, but do you trust Princess Celestia?”

“...Um, yeah?”

“I...” I placed my hoof on my chin. “Well, it’s just that I met Princess Luna in my dreams a while back, and she seemed...” Rainbow raised an eyebrow, as if expecting me to continue, so I complied. "Well, she was kinda mysterious, and dark, I guess? But also friendly in a motherly sort of way. I know from what I've seen of her that she can be mischievous, too, but I have to wonder if Celestia is like that, too, or maybe she's completely different?”

"...Don't you usually know this kind of stuff from your creepy..."

"...From my creepy knowledge of this world, yes, but I'm talking on a deeper level. I've only ever seen her on television, but you've actually met her. What can you tell me about her? I just don't know what she thinks of us; is she worried about us taking over? Is she actually concerned about us, or will she put the good of the whole of Equestria before the wellbeing of our family? I know the rest of my family doesn't really think about this, but I've seen enough of Celestia dropping all her problems on Twilight to know that she always has an agenda. I guess I'm just wondering what plans she might have for our family."

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. "Tele-what...? Dude, how would I know what Celestia's plans are? Look, there's only one thing I can really tell you from personal experience; Celestia will do anything to protect those she sees as her little ponies. I don't know if that includes you guys, but I don't see why it wouldn't."

I sighed. "I don't really know what I was expecting, asking you that. I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a little worried."

Rainbow snorted "Hey, don't worry about it. It sounds to me like you're just stressed out. We all need a break from time to time, like come on, you guys are always so serious about everything. You need to chill out! Take a chill pill every once in a while, you know?"

I frowned. "Rainbow, there's a reason we are the way we are. It's fine and dandy to say that we need to relax, but when you've lived through a war like we have, it changes you."

Rainbow froze. "I'm sorry... I didn't..."

"No, it's okay. I don't expect you to understand, Rainbow, and I can't blame you for not knowing. I know you're just trying to help, and I'm sorry for putting all this on you all of a sudden."

"So.. are we cool, or...?"

"Yeah, we're good. Just... in the future, it might be a good idea to tread a little carefully around my family when it comes to... that. I think we're all just trying to put it out of our minds, you know? Like, maybe keeping busy is our way of coping. It's our way of putting up a wall."

"You know, that gives me an idea.... Like, you can take or leave this if you'd like, but the only two ponies in Equestria who have ever gone through war like you guys have are Celestia and Luna. Maybe you should talk to them?"

I lost my balance, and nearly plummeted to the ground before I managed to catch myself. "That's... actually a really good idea."

“Well, Celestia puts up a better wall than most, but you know what they say about walls; the bigger they are, the more stuff there is behind them."

I smirked. “Speaking from experience, are we?” That got just the reaction I expected.

“What? It's not like that! I mean, that's not what I...”

I chuckled. “Hey, look at the pot calling the kettle black.”

“...”

“Consider it payback for the constant teasing about me and Rara.”

Rainbow smacked me topside the head with her wing, but smirked. “You’re good company, you know that?”

I shrugged. “I have my moments.”

A bug flew into one of my nostrils, and I began to gag and sneeze, much to Rainbow’s amusement. “Plegh. Stupid bugs.”


A hill covered in an endless field of green wheat, with a stormy sky as backdrop.

I breathed in the warm sweet scent of the growing plants, and surveyed the scene before me, the wind caressing my almost-white fur and brown mane, bringing me a sense of peace amidst the storms of life.

“We meet again, young Motodrop.”

I turned, and dropped my head in acknowledgement of the royal mare before me.

“Thank you for doing this, Luna. I don’t think I would have had the courage to bring everyone together without someone to guide me through it.”

“It is no problem.” Another figure appeared beside Luna, and I recognized the other monarch as Celestia. “Sister.”

“Hello Luna.” The tall white alicorn then turned to study me, casting her eyes up and down my trembling form. I nodded respectfully, but did not kneel.

It’s as if I can taste the power that she wields. It was a daunting feeling, and I couldn’t help but feel slightly cowed by her presence.

“Hello, Motodrop. So we finally meet." Celestia regarded me with a warm smile. “So you’re the one that has the ‘creepy knowledge of this world’ that I’ve heard so much about.”

I groaned. “I really need to tell Twilight to stop telling everyone that.”

The white mare chuckled. “My former student can get a little overexcited sometimes when it comes to the pursuit of knowledge.”

I agreed wholeheartedly.

“So this is where the meeting will take place?” Celestia glanced around the stalks of wheat, brushing a hoof through the heads in a similar manner to what Luna had first done when she had first beheld this dreamscape. "It is beautiful in its simplicity."

...Simplicity?!?

“It is a reflection of Motodrop’s subconscious.” Luna glanced around at her surroundings. “It is indeed beautiful.”

Oh, compliments will get you nowhere now. Not after calling me simple. I huffed in annoyance. Beautifully simple my tattoo-riddled flank.

Luna tilted her head. "Is everything alright, Motodrop?"

I waved her off. "I'm fine. Can we just get started already? Do you know when they'll start to arrive?"

“This dream realm is not relative to time, Moto.” Luna smiled. “We have as much time as is needed. Do not worry. They will be here soon enough.”

“I know, but I’m just a little jumpy. I did this without telling them, so I’m not sure how they’ll react to suddenly being in a shared dream with me.”

Celestia placed a hoof on my shoulder in assurance. “That is why I am here. I will offer any assistance that is needed, and help mediate in any way I can.”

“Indeed.” Luna stepped up to stand beside her sister, her form shorter than Celestia’s, and yet still taller than most ponies. “Your idea of a shared dream was an impressive one, Motodrop. When you had Twilight send that message detailing your plans, I was admittedly somewhat skeptical, but quickly saw the logic in such a stratagem.”

I exhaled nervously. “I just hope they’re alright with us invading their dreams.”

“I’m sure they’ll forgive you. Have faith in yourself, Motodrop. Your family does not seem like the type to hold grudges.”

“Mhmm.” Silence fell on the dreamscape, and I found myself studying Celestia. Just what is your endgame? Celestia happened to glance my way, catching me staring at her. I quickly glanced away, but not before seeing Celestia smile in amusement.

"..."

“What... Hey, I was enjoying that dream!”

Ah. Our first customer.

“You are Ixisten, correct?”

“Yes. Um, where am I? I was having a really nice dream about... well, that’s not important right now.” I turned to face my younger brother, and he regarded me with a raised eyebrow before turning his eyes back to the two princesses. “Who are you..? Wait, hold on... Alicorns, which means you must be princesses."

Luna stifled a giggle. “I am Luna, the Princess of the Night. This is my sister Celestia, who raises and lowers the sun. The rest will be explained when the rest of your family arrives. For now, it would be best to have patience.”

The yellow stallion blinked, but settled himself down to wait. I strode up, and sat myself down beside him in the sea of green.

“Hey.”

“Hi. This is a dream, isn’t it?”

I chuckled. “Yep.”

“So this is all just a figment of my imagination, then.” He glanced around. "I have no idea how my subconscious came up with this."

I chuckled. “Nope. This is a shared dream, which means my consciousness is actually here, as are the two princesses.”

“Huh. Shared dreams. Is that a pretty common thing?”

“Only when Luna sets it up.”

“Oh.”

A gust of wind caused the unripened stalks of wheat to ripple like the waves of the ocean.

“So...” I smirked at my brother. “You and Octavia?”

Ixisten’s head jerked my way. “What... how did you..?”

I stifled a laugh. “Rainbow and I spotted you two in the park this afternoon.”

“Ugh.” His head dropped into his arms, and I patted him on the back with a hoof.

“How long you guys been dating?”

My brother turned to look at me, his expression unimpressed. “Look, we’re not dating, alright? I just... she happened to be playing her cello when I stopped by to tune her and Vinyl’s piano, and we got onto the subject of instrument construction. After that, we’ve been meeting up every once in a while to talk. As friends.”

Yeah. I’ll believe that when pigs fly... Actually, that already happened thanks to Discord. “Whatever you say, bro.”

He rolled his eyes, but our conversation was cut short by the arrival of Maelstrom, Anima, and their kids. They all blinked, disoriented by the scene presented to them.

“Hey.”

“What... Moto? Ixisten?” Anima’s eyes were then drawn to the two princesses. “Uhhh...”

“I’ll explain later. For now, let’s just wait for everyone else.”

Anima and Maelstrom nodded dumbly, while Vivid squealed her delight at the sight of the two alicorns. She immediately ran over, and attached herself to one of Luna’s legs, who was initially surprised, but soon grew a large smile on her muzzle.

“Hi.”

“Hello there, young one. What’s your name?”

“I’m Vivid. This is Chwerth, and he’s Blaze.” She pointed at her brothers in turn, introducing them to the much delighted Luna. “CHWERTH! LOOK AT THE BIG HORSES! CHWERTH! HEY CHWERTH!”

I smiled. Maybe I should stop her? Meh, Luna doesn’t seem to care.

“Okay, okay, I’m coming!” The little pegasus buzzed over to where his sister was still clinging to the midnight Princess’ legs. He gazed up at the two monarchs in pure awe, and then: “You guys are really big.”

Heh. Subtle, buddy. Subtle.

I watched in amusement as the two foals ran around the two princesses, who didn’t seem to mind the attention. Blaze, meanwhile, came over to where Ixisten and I were resting, and joined us.

One by one, the rest of the family appeared in the dreamscape, all gazing around in confusion. Ixisten and I stood, and made our way to the group.

Looks like we’re all here. I looked over to Luna, who nodded sagely... or at least attempted to as best she could given the pink clingon that seemed content to hold on to her legs.

I chuckled, and quickly cleared my throat. “Hi everyone. Can I get your attention? I promise I’ll explain everything, but first I need you all to calm down and listen.” I waited until everyone was looking at me. Here goes.

I breathed in deeply. “Okay, first thing; Yes, this is a dream. No, I’m not a construct of your mind. This is a shared dream, which means all our consciousnesses are here. Two; The two alicorns standing over there are Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. I’ll let you figure out which one’s which. Three; What you’re seeing is a dreamscape; It’s a reflection of my subconscious, so don’t break anything, alright? Four; ...I set this up with Princess Luna to talk about what happened today. Celestia is here to moderate and offer her advice. Five; Because this is a dream, time has no meaning here, so we can spend as much time as needed here without losing any time in the real world.” I paused, letting the information sink in for a moment. “Look, guys, I really need to apologize to you. Not telling you about the EQG world was an oversight on my part... a really stupid, really selfish oversight. I just assumed you’d all be fine with living in Equestria, and didn’t even consider the possibility that maybe some of us would have a harder time adapting to this world than others.” I bowed my head in shame. “I’m very sorry, and I’m sorry for invading your dreams without your permission.”

Silence.

“Moto. What makes you think we were angry at you?”

What? “But, I... I forgot about the EQG world. I... failed all of you.”

Otto and Panara pulled me into a group hug. “Moto, we weren’t angry at you. Maybe a little frustrated and conflicted, but not angry.”

“Yeah, but I...”

“Moto, none of us regret the time we’ve spent in Equestria.”

I looked around for confirmation. Everyone was nodding or grunting their agreement. Karra was giving me a look that said: “See? I told you so.”

“Sure, it was a little weird at first, but we have food, shelter, steady jobs, and a place for the foals to go to school. We’re blessed to have spent the time we have here. Knowing about the other world sooner wouldn’t have changed that anyways. Either way, we’re all here alive and well.”

I... Never thought of it that way before. “Huh.”

“So Moto, you still haven’t exactly told us why we’re all here. You said you wanted to discuss what happened today?”

I shrugged. “More specifically, I want us to figure out what we’re going to do. Do we all go to the other world? Do we all stay in Equestria? Do we split up and go our separate ways?”

Panara and Otto glanced at each other, and then dipped their heads in accord. “Moto... Everyone, we discussed our options before we went to bed, and we’ve decided that the two of us are going to go to that other world.”

I studied their expressions, waiting for them to continue.

Otto lifted a hoof, inspecting it sadly. “As much as we like this world... It’s... Just a bit too much to adapt to. Panara and I have lived on Earth for over half a century, and it’s hard to break out of those old habits. I’m sure we could make a life for ourselves in Equestria, but... I don’t think we’d ever really be comfortable.” He lowered his hoof, and then beheld the entirety of our family. “Whatever you guys all choose is up to you. We won’t force you guys to come with us or stay in Equestria. You’re all adults now, and can think for yourselves.”

Celestia stepped forward. “A very noble and wise decision, Mr. Otto and Mrs. Panara.” She turned her attention to the rest of us. "Before the rest of you make your decision, keep in mind how your decision may affect your children. I'm not going to force you one way or another, but as someone who has seen war for myself..." She shook her head. "Always remember the next generation." Celestia stepped away, and I found myself once again studying her. Why would she say that now?

I didn't get the chance to finish my thought, because it was at that moment that Anima and Maelstrom began to speak.

“We’ll stay.” Anima looked at Vivid, who was still clinging to Luna’s legs, and smiled. “The kids seem to like it here, and they’ve already made friends in Ponyville. It wouldn’t be fair to them to force them to leave so soon after we’ve just settled in. It’s a little uncomfortable being in these bodies, but for the sake of our kids, I think we can make do.”

Percy then stepped forward. “I’d like to go with Mom and Dad. Not that I hate it here, Moto, but I don’t really have anything keeping me here other than family.” He grinned. “And if that world is anything like Earth, then I’ll finally be able to have a proper steak.”

We all chuckled, and Percy went over to stand by Otto and Panara, giving Otto a hug.

Can’t say that surprises me. It’ll suck to see him leave, but he’s always stuck with and supported Mom and Dad.

There was a moment of silence as we all waited on the next person to speak. Hawk and Tumak were in deep discussion, so Karra and Eren stepped forward.

“We’ll be going with Mom and Dad, too.” Karra looked lovingly at her husband. “We like it here in Equestria, but it just doesn’t feel like home to us. If we lived in a world similar to Earth, Eren could utilize his computer skills toward our living. I like my job at the Ponyville Day Spa, but I can just as easily get a similar job in the other world, too.” Eren wrapped a hoof around Karra, and they nuzzled.

Admittedly, I was somewhat surprised, but it made sense to me. Eren had always been a computer guy, so obviously a world with computers was a better fit for them. And Karra’s studies in reflexology and nursing were better suited to bipedal creatures.

Heh. Guess those skills don’t really translate to equines.

Hawk and Tumak seemed to finally have come to agreement, so they stepped forward, Grove shyly hiding from the two princesses behind Hawk’s legs.

D’awwe.

“We’ll be staying in Equestria.” Tumak looked somewhat uncomfortable with their decision, but spoke with conviction. “I’ll admit that I’m having a much harder time adapting to this world than Hawk and the kids are, but I’m willing to make that sacrifice for the sake of Grove. The war really took a toll on her, but this world has been bringing her out of her shell. I don’t think that we could leave without hurting her again.” They moved to stand next to Maelstrom and Anima, and I nodded at them.

Celestia smiled gently at Grove, and the little pegasus smiled shyly, but stayed behind Hawk.

And now... I guess it’s between me and Ixisten. The two of us looked at each other, waiting for the other to go. I almost lost my nerve to speak as the butterflies in my stomach caused a lump in my throat. Has he... not made his decision? I walked over to him, and leaned over. “You need some time to make your decision yet?”

He nodded, his eyes clouded with indecision.

I hear ya, bro. Alright. “Okay. Take as much time as you need, man. I’ll go first, then.” I turned to face the group. “To everyone who’s leaving... I’m going to miss you.” I shrugged. “I guess it’s not much of a surprise that I would stay here in Equestria, but I have a good reason for doing so. I’ve kept something hidden from most of you this last month, but I didn’t want to say anything until I’d made my decision. Honestly, I only finally decided a few moments ago.” I pulled the note from Coloratura out of thin air. Dreamscape, remember? Heheh. “I got this note from Coloratura when she left a while back. I’m seriously considering taking her offer.” I handed the message to Panara, who scanned it with Otto reading it over her shoulder.

“This is...” Panara looked up from the note, her eyes wide in disbelief. “This is an offer to start a career in the music business... Moto, how did you keep this hidden for a month?”

“The same way I hid the fact that I was a brony for over five years.”

I was suddenly engulfed in a hug from my mother, who had tears streaming down her cheeks.

“I am so proud of you, son. You can’t pass up this opportunity.”

“I know, but...”

“Go, Moto. We’ll be okay.” She pulled out of the hug, and gave me a maternal peck on the cheek. “And this isn’t goodbye forever. We can always visit through the portal.”

I nodded dumbly. “That's true... Okay... Okay, I’ll do it.” I smiled, taking back the note from Panara, and went over to stand with the others who’d decided to stay in Equestria.

Our attention turned to Ixisten, who looked to be desperately trying to come to a conclusion, his expression pained. I moved to go to him, but Celestia beat me to it.

“Ixisten, correct?”

My brother looked up at the tall figure, and bowed his head respectfully. “Yes.”

“I’ve heard of you. The canterlot nobles have been pleased with your business there. It seems that ponies who can tune a piano correctly are in short supply, and according to them you do good work.” The yellow equine smiled slightly at the compliment, and Celestia continued. “Losing a talented individual such as yourself would be a shame. I would be willing to help you out, if you were to decide to stay.”

“...Help out?”

Celestia placed a hoof on her chin, wearing an unreadable expression. “There’s not much more valuable to a business pony than a royal endorsement.”

Stunned silence, all of us speechless at this proclamation.

“You... you’d do that?”

“Only if you were to decide to stay. Of course, the final decision is up to you, but this offer stands for however long you decide to stay in Equestria.”

Oh, you sly devil, you. I trotted over to Ixisten, slightly amused by the cartoonish smoke rising from his ears. “Don’t let her pressure you, bro. It’s a good offer, for sure, but don’t let that make your decision.” I glanced up at Celestia, unamused. “Celestia is thousands of years old. She knows that having you around is good for PR with her nobles, which in turn makes her job easier.” Ixisten turned to me, an dubious expression adorning his features. I patted him on the back. “She’s a nice pony, but she has a nation to think about, too. If you’re going to stay, do it for yourself, not because you were pressured to.” I elbowed him in the ribs playfully. “And maybe for a certain mare...?”

At that, a smile crept over Ixisten’s muzzle, and he elbowed me back. “I have no idea what you're talking about.”

I smirked. "I do."

Ixisten rolled his eyes, and then turned to Celestia. “I’ll take your offer, but I’m not moving to Canterlot. I like Ponyville, and would prefer to stay there.”

Sure. You want to stay in Ponyville because you like it there. Right. That’s the only reason, I’m sure.

Celestia nodded sagely. “That can be arranged.” She regarded me with a look akin to... amusement, and leaned over to whisper in my ear; "You're a thousand years too young to outwit me, young man."

I growled at her. "I don't know what your endgame is, Celestia, and I don't like you meddling in the affairs of my family, but for now it seems that I have no choice but to trust you." I glared at her. "Let me get one thing straight between us; pride is cheap, but trust is expensive. That's especially true for my family, after the things we've seen. If you ever cross us, your 1000 years of experience will mean nothing, because you will never receive our trust again." Celestia's expression turned from one of amusement to one of troubled contemplation. "I don't dislike you, Celestia, but I've seen how you constantly unload your problems onto Twilight. I won't let you do that to my family. You need to remember that, as much as we resemble your little ponies, we still come from a different dimension. We've seen things that none of your pony subjects have seen, and experienced grief and pain far beyond what any of them have ever even conceived of. Don't ever forget that, because we sure won't."

Celestia schooled her expression into one of calm serenity. "Very well, Motodrop Hillberry."

That doesn't sound like a promise to me, but that's probably the best I'm going to get. I decided to let the matter drop, and turned my attention back to the rest of the family. I looked at the two groups of ponies; One staying, one leaving. Well. That’s that, I guess.

The rest of the dream was spent making preparations. Who would be living where, how we would all support ourselves, and what we would do to visit each other. We decided that the final move would take place after Coloratura had returned from her tour, and I accepted her offer. I left the rest of the decisions to the rest of the family, and instead stepped back to enjoy the view of the dreamscape, my eyes tracing the outline of the distant clouds. I was finally... at peace. I had made my decision. I was nervous, sure, but at the same time hopeful.

“It was wise of you to do this.”

I turned to Luna, who unhurriedly strolled up beside me. I bowed my head appreciatively.

“It was necessary. My family isn’t the best at taking the initiative when it comes to decisions, so I needed a way to get us all together and figure this out once and for all. Otherwise everything would happen at the last minute, and we’d be unable to say our proper goodbyes.”

“There is still one more thing to deal with, Motodrop.”

I tilted my head in confusion. “There is?”

Luna pointed a hoof at my chest. “Your heart. You still haven’t dealt with the pain of your losses... None of you have.”

I sighed. “You’re right. It’s just that we’ve been so busy...”

“Business is no excuse, my friend.” Her expression hardened. “If you don’t gain closure soon, this will consume you”

I dropped my head in defeat. “Yeah... but how?”

The midnight blue mare smiled gently at me.

“I may have an idea.”

“I’m all ears.”

Author's Note:

(Updated June 15th, 2021) Whew, I'm not gonna lie, this one took a lot of work. I fleshed out the dialogue way more than in the first draft of this chapter, and pretty much rewrote the conversation between Moto and Rainbow at the beginning of the chapter. The first draft just felt a little OOC for Rainbow, so I wanted to bring back some of that brashness that she's known for, while still retaining her intelligence. I'm fairly happy with the way this turned out, and I'm especially happy with the way my character's distrust of Celestia is growing. As I stated in the story, I don't dislike Celestia at all, I just think that if I were one of her subjects, I would find her conduct to be super sus.

The idea for the shared dream in this chapter actually came from my sister for this one, so to you, sis, you have my thanks! :twilightsmile:

As always, I am Motodrop... and with great Uniqueness comes great responsibility :trollestia: