• Published 19th Jun 2018
  • 2,469 Views, 45 Comments

Broken Family, Healed Family - Amos Anon



What do you do when your entire family is forced into Equestria because of a Nuclear apocalypse? Well, for me, the only brony in the family, I guess it means I'm now a guide... Albeit a really, really poor one.

  • ...
6
 45
 2,469

Interlude 2: Life in EQG World (edited v1)

Hi Dad, Mom, and Percy. I’m a little unused to writing letters. Kinda sucks that we can’t text each other back and forth across the dimensions, eh? Maybe I’ll get Twilight to look into that. Anywho, it’s been a while since I saw you guys, so I thought I’d give you a bit of an update on what’s been going on with me recently. As it turns out, I’m going to be a backup singer with a singer called “Songbird Serenade.” She’s basically the pony version of Sia back on Earth. Percy, you can explain who Sia is to Mom and Dad. Think ‘Titanium’, ‘Cheap Thrills’, and ‘Chandeliers’. So yeah, I’ve had to had my whole look changed (see inserted photo), which brings me to my next topic. I was assigned a personal stylist and assistant. Her name is Rose, and as it turns out, she’s from Earth, too! It’s kindof a long story, but I’m hoping to speak to Twilight, and maybe Discord to figure out how she ended up here 20 years ago. I know it’s exciting information, but she’s asked me to keep it under wraps for now, so if you guys could not tell anyone about that tidbit of information? I was only given permission to tell you three and Coloratura for now.

A few weeks ago Coloratura and I started looking for a place for me to stay, and the good news is that I moved into my new house yesterday! It’s a little ways out into the country near Manehatten, but there’s a small town nearby has all the essentials, and it’s only a few minutes walk to the bridge that takes me into the city itself. It’s the perfect place for me because I’m still out near nature, but also conveniently located near where I work.

Singing with Sia Songbird is interesting... and a lot more work than I originally thought. Turns out my equine muzzle is a bit different from my human mouth, so I’m having to learn some new vocal techniques that I don’t think would be possible for humans to do. It’s really fascinating stuff, and I’m excited to keep learning whatever I can! My only regret is that I wish I’d spent a little more time honing my vocals when I was a human, so that I could compare my chest, head, and falsetto voice from before to now. Did you know that I can sing what’s called a ‘combination voice’ where I combine my chest and head voice together? Yeah, me neither!

So what’s up with you guys? Have you been keeping busy, Mom? Have Dad and Percy found employment yet? What about your housing? Did Sunset help you guys get settled in? Have you guys met Sunset’s friends yet? I would suggest avoiding Pinkie... of course, she probably threw you guys a welcome party when you got there so... too late? Sorry. Also, don’t question anything Pinkie Pie does. That’s just how she is. Alcohol helps when dealing with her. Ask Applejack for some of her hard cider if you’re desperate, lol. (Am I allowed to use ‘lol’ in a letter? Meh, whatever.) So anyways, I have a rehearsal to get to, so I’ll catch y’all sometime soon? We should probably start thinking about how we’re going to celebrate Christmas. They call it Hearth’s Warming here, but I think it would be a good tradition if we continued to call it Christmas within our family. Kinda reminds me of home. Anyways, I’m rambling now. TTYL!

Motodrop Hillberry

Panara set the letter down on the counter in Sunset Shimmer’s kitchen, the words she’d just read out to Otto, Percy, and Sunset Shimmer still ringing in the room.

“WHAT?” Percy and Otto frowned as human Twilight stepped into the kitchen, a look of disbelief on her face. “You mean there were MORE humans that ended up in Equestria? The possibilities! Oh, this opens up so many questions! Are there more humans that made their way through? What about other dimensions? I NEED MY LAB EQUIPMENT!!!” The adorkable purple-skinned human-lookalike rode a wave of geekness, fairly humming with excitement.

“Um, Twilight? Were you eavesdropping on us?” Sunset’s query broke Twilight out of her nerd-induced reverie. She looked around the room, seeing the stern looks on everyone’s faces, and blushed heavily.

“Sorry.” She squeaked. “I didn’t mean to overhear, I just happened to be in the next room, and when I heard about another human ending up in Equestria, I just couldn’t contain myself! I... I’m sorry.”

Sunset placed a hand on Twilight’s shoulder, and smiled gently. “Yeah... I don’t think I was supposed to hear this information, either.”

Percy snorted. “Well, the letter DID say ‘you three and Coloratura’.” He glared at Twilight, his eyebrows raised.

“What?”

“I’m trying to decide how we’re going to break it to Rose that her secret is out, and how we broke her and Motodrop’s trust. I’m willing to forgive you for eavesdropping, but it doesn’t change the fact that you heard information you weren’t supposed to hear.”

Panara and Otto nodded their heads in agreement, and Otto addressed the two teenagers.

“Well, what’s done is done. Now we have to figure out how to apologize to Rose and Motodrop. I’d try to stop you from doing anything with this news, but I get the feeling that you two will go ahead and start doing tests anyways.” He sighed. “Maybe it would be best if we all wrote letters of our own.” He rubbed his forehead. “Moto’s going to be really angry.”


Panara and Otto sat at the kitchen table, both of them looking over Moto’s note. Percy leaned against the fridge door, a look of concentration adorning his features.

“What do we tell him?”

Otto shook his head, placing an as-of-yet unused pencil down on the table beside a blank piece of lined paper.

“Ah... I don’t know.” Awkward silence filled the room, the sound of gears whirring in everyone’s minds almost audible in the thick atmosphere. Otto picked the pencil up again, and held it over the paper, the tip of the pencil moving in a distracted, circular pattern before he placed it back down on the table. He leaned back in his chair, folding his arms behind his head.

Panara smiled, and scooted closer to Otto. “I have an idea.” She took up the pencil in her hand, and began writing.

Hi Moto! It’s nice to hear from you again, and it’s great to hear that you bought a house (You did buy, right? You’re not renting?). Your father and I are living at Sunset Shimmer’s house right now (how does a girl in high school own a house?) Anyways, about your warning about Pinkie Pie... too late. Let’s just say that Sunset keeps strange company. Alternate dimensional, high-school-aged company. I don’t think a day goes by that at least one of her friends isn’t here for something or another. Twilight is here today. Speaking of Twilight...

Panara paused, lifting the pencil from the paper. “That doesn’t seem a bit weird to you does it?”

Percy shrugged. “Seems okay to me.” He pushed himself away from the fridge, and sat down on the other side of Otto. He gestured for Panara to hand him the pencil, which she did reluctantly.

Speaking of Twilight. So yeah, the Twilight of this dimension is definitely a teenager. A far cry from a princess of friendship, that’s for sure. She thought it would be a good idea to eavesdrop on us when we read your letter, so that means she knows about Rose being from Earth. She’s going to be sending you and Rose both and apology letter. Yeah, we’re just as angry about it as you probably are. Sunset happened to be there when we read the letter, so she knows as well, but I think we can trust her to keep the secret.

Percy handed the pencil to Otto. “Want to finish?”

Otto smiled, and nodded.

I’d like to apologize for allowing Sunset to read the letter. We should have made sure that nobody else was in the room when we read this letter. Twilight, on the other hand (or hoof in your case, haha), is probably going to start conducting some sort of tests. She was yelling about needing her lab equipment, so... Expect a letter from her soon. Your one saving grace is that we’ve managed to extract a Pinkie Promise (yes, we learned what that is.) from her stating that she would not speak about Rose’s human origins to anyone who does not know about it already, so at least the pony-Twilight shouldn’t hear about it.

Anyways, about what we’ve been up to recently...

Otto’s writing was interrupted by a knock at the front door. The pencil once again found its place beside the piece of paper, which Panara quickly folded in half, tucking it into her pants pocket.

“I’ll get it!” Sunset called from the living room. Sounds of a door opening filtered into the kitchen, and then the muffled greetings of two very familiar voices.

“That sounds like Eren and Karra.” Panara and Otto glanced at each other, then quickly stood and made their way to the front door, Percy trailing behind.

“Hey!” Eren called out, his arms flung wide as he caught sight of Panara and Otto. The group exchanged hugs, and Sunset closed the door behind them. She smiled as Karra embraced her in a hug, followed by her losing her breath at Eren’s bearhug. She thought for sure she heard a few ribs cracking from the strength of the embrace.

“Okay, okay! Need to breathe!”

Karra looked around, as if searching for something. “Where’s Twilight? Wasn’t she staying at your place today, Sunset?”

The bacon-haired girl breathed in deeply, trying to recover from Eren’s over-enthusiastic hug.

“Twilight was here a minute ago... Where'd she go?" She looked around, and then sighed. "How long ago?"

Otto checked his watch. "Ten minutes."

Sunset turned back to Karra. "Twilight's probably downstairs working on a lab project of some kind."

Karra raised an eyebrow. “I see... So I can assume that she’s in your basement, cackling like a mad scientist while playing with her portable chemistry set?”

Sunset shrugged. “Probably.”

Karra smirked. “Typical Twilight.” She turned to Eren. “Honey? Should we go and say hi to Twilight?” The devious glint in her eyes bespoke a diabolical plan.

Sunset cocked her head in confusion, but followed along behind Eren and Karra as they made their way to the stairs leading to the basement. Panara and Otto worriedly glanced at each other, but kept their silence.

The group descended the stairs, and sure enough, a bespectacled girl wearing a lab coat stood behind a chemistry set, along with an assortment of electronic gadgets, and a screen with a sine wave that looked suspiciously like a heart-rate monitor. She had her hair tied up in a bun, and she seemed to be closely examining something that was obscured from view.

“Hi Twilight! Look who’s here.” When Twilight didn’t respond, Sunset sighed, and turned to Karra. "When Twilight gets into her ‘sciency’ mode, even I have a hard time breaking her out of it.”

Karra smiled evilly, and rubbed her hands together.

“I think we can fix that. Honey? Can you give Twilight a hug?”

At that very moment, Twilight’s hair stood on end, and a sixth sense told her that something bad was about to happen, and if she ignored the warning, it was likely that she would regret it.

But... Science...


Twilight sat on the floor of her improvised ‘lab’, struggling to get her breath back while Sunset patted her on the shoulder sympathetically. The yellow-skinned teenager glared daggers at Karra.

“When you said 'I can fix that', I wasn't expecting you to sic your husband on my friend."

Twilight gasped dramatically. "Is he some kind of monster?"

Otto, Panara, and Karra all looked at each other, and shrugged. Sunset's jaw dropped.

"You mean to say he hugs all of you like that?"

"Um. Yeah."

Twilight gasped for air again. “What witchcraft is this?!?”

Panara shrugged. “We can handle the hugs just fine.”

Sunset blinked. “I’m beginning to think that the Hillberry family is born crazy.”

“Nope, just years of practice.”

SMACK!

Sunset’s palm met her forehead.

Author's Note:

There will be more Interludes in the future continuing the stories of my family, including this one. I know this chapter ended suddenly without much happening, but I needed to have this info in place before I can move on to the next part of what happens to Otto, Panara, Percy, Karra and Eren in the EQG world. I also have plans to continue Ixisten's story, and will also have other chapters dedicated to Anima and Maelstrom's family as well as Hawk and Ente's family.
In other news... I’m back! Again! Finally, yes, I know. Frankly, I ran into writer’s block. I know what I want to do with this story, and I have some idea of the plot, but getting to that point is serving to be a bit of a sticking point for me. Doesn’t help that my computer has been down for the last few weeks because of a burnt-out bulb in my projector, leaving me without a monitor. Luckily Ixisten saved my sorry tushy and let me use one of his monitors until the new bulb for my Projector comes in.
Hmm... been a while since I wrote a unique thing...
I am Motodrop, and Uniqueness can cause writer’s block.
...
Meh, It’ll do.