• ...
3
 10
 897

Chapter 11: Happy Birthday!

Author's Note:

Happy Birthday my beloved Angel, I love chu so much :twilightsmile:

Starlight noticed the faint sunlight going through the curtains of her room, telling her it was time to wake up. She didn’t want to, since the last few days were quite strange for her liking, the new responsibilities that came with taking care of a certain little vampire was something she wasn’t prepared to tackle.

Especially when it was her friend’s job to take care of Flan and not hers.

She slowly opened her eyes, knowing she had to go downstairs and prepare breakfast, “You could have waited ten more minutes, princess,” she told to the sunlight from the window.

After her mental prayers for a more normal day, her mind wandered a bit at the recent events. How all of this started when she bumped on the little vampire on her way to the mines, how painful the subsequent bite was and how angry she was at Flan.

But then as she spent time with Flan to help Trixie out, the little interactions and bonding moments she and the others were part of.

An image of a happy smiling Flan flashed for a brief moment, bringing a smile of her own, “I guess it hasn’t been that bad after all, heh,” she remained in bed watching the ceiling, “it’s way harder than just being a princess’ student, but I don’t regret being here. Well, enough self reflection, time to make breakfast,” she sat and stretched her limbs when suddenly her ears caught a subtle sound coming from downstairs.

“What is that?” clanking sounds and shuffling around were prominent, “more importantly, how did I miss it?” after a moment she shrugged, “I guess it wouldn’t be Flan’s home is something weird didn’t happen.”

With that she jumped off bed and made her way downstairs.

On her way there she noted that the noise was coming from the kitchen, poking her head on the doorway she saw Flan sitting at the kitchen counter munching on some leftover cookies from Fluttershy’s meal the day before. She was also watching Trixie trying to do… something.

“Hmm… Trixie what are you doing?”

“Gah!” the focused mare let out a surprised yelp and quickly turned around, “oh Starlight, good morning… hehe, I was just hmm… making some breakfast, yeah!” she said very convincingly as Flan waved at Starlight in a friendly manner.

Looking behind her friend Starlight saw the unspeakable horror of Trixie’s craft, “I see that, yeah…” then looked at Flan, “Good morning, Flan. I’ll make you something in a minute, just let me fully wake up first.”

Trixie relaxed a bit not being the center of attention, until Starlight pointed at her.

“As for you, Trixie. Clean all this mess,” Starlight ordered.

“Oh come on Starlight, Trixie didn’t do that bad!” Trixie whinned.

“You managed to put water inside fire somehow, how did you even do that!?” Starlight asked in exasperated confusion.

Trixie lifted a hoof as if to explain but then nothing popped up in her mind, “Emm… Trixie has no idea…”

After a nice breakfast, caffeine free this time, Flan went outside to feed the few birds that nested close to the house. Meanwhile Trixie begrudgingly cleaned the big mess she made in the kitchen, feeling sympathetic for her friend Starlight went to help Trixie after sighing.

“Next time ask me for help Trixie, ok?” Starlight said as she tried to unstick some unknown substance from the oven.

“Trix…” Trixie sighed, “I thought I could at least do this for Flan, you know? Make her a good meal to start the day in a positive way,” hints of sadness present in her voice as she cleaned the counter.

Starlight gave Trixie a sideways hug, “I know what you mean, even I warmed up to her despite our unfortunate meeting, but you don’t have to try and do everything on your own if you’re unsure Trixie, you can rely on me to help. After all we both want Flan to be happy,” they both looked out the window and saw Flan talking with Fluttershy, the latter giving a gentle wave to them which they returned.

“Hmm…” Starlight rubbed her chin on thought, “what if we prepare her a good lunch together Trixie? How does that sound?” She proposed.

Trixie let out a giggle, “Sounds good to Trixie.”


“Oh, so you want me to help with that, Flan?” Fluttershy asked receiving a nod from Flan.

“Alright, I’m not the best at it, but I can do it,” Flan then hugged her thankfully.

Fluttershy then left with a wave and smile. Soon after Flan saw Starlight leaving the house with her saddlebacks.

“Oh, did Fluttershy leave?” Flan nodded, “Ok, I’m going to Twilight’s, if something happens come let me know, alright?”

“Uuuu(I will, have a nice day)” Flan held a fist on her chest confidently.

Starlight just stood there staring at the small vampire, ‘did she just…’ she shook her head some, “Ok, I’ll see you later, Flan.” With this said Starlight left aswell.


Trixie was sitting on the living room with a cold towel over her eyes, she tend heard the door open and poked an eye out, she saw Flan coming back in.

“Uuu,” Flan sounded a bit worried.

“It’s ok Flan, Trixie is ok. But next time I will avoid doing five things at once in the kitchen,” Trixie said regretfully.

“Still, we a couple hours before lunch, is there something you want to do Flan?” Flan thought for a moment and then nodded.


In the Central Plaza, Flan was looking for a particular store, but there was no luck.

“What are you looking for, Flan?” Trixie asked, sensing the annoyance in Flan’s behavior.

Flan pointed her ever helpful chalkboard to Trixie, while still thinking.

“Magic props? Like magic canes and hats?” Flan looked at her and nodded giving her a hopeful look.

“Well, Trixie doesn’t think there are anything like that on Ponyville, seeing as how Rarity’s boutique is the main source of costumes for festivities. Magic props aren’t very popular around here, the few that could possibly be here are made by order. I have some because of my work, but if you’re looking for a magic wand I don’t think I have one, never found a good trick to play out with one,” the news were a bit of a disappointment for Flan but nodded thankfully regardless.

Not having any other options, Flan took a piece of paper out of her pocket, wrote something on it and used the low rank spell material transfer to send it to Patchy.

“What was that?” Trixie didn’t really know what Flan just did.

Flan wrote on her chalkboard and showed it to her again, it read, “If there isn’t one, then I’ll just have one made by my friend Patchy.” Getting an “oooh” from Trixie.

Having nothing else to do but wait, they went back home.


Starlight came back home at mid-day, together with Trixie they made lunch and enjoyed a nice meal, around two hours later Flan received the package she wanted, decorating it with a cute red bow she went out with the others in tow.

On the way to their destination they found Fluttershy carrying a simple cake with white frosting and some strawberries on top on a small cart.

Soon enough they arrived in a house in the middle of town, Flan knocked at the door, an amber colored mare with a long black mane looked down from the second floor window noticing who was at the door she waved and both nodded.

The door opened and the mare was covering the eyes of a light bourdeax mare with disheveled pink mane and appaloosa spots on her flank, then she uncovered her eyes and then...

“Happy Birthday Speckle!” they shouted at once.

Smiling Flan gave Speckle her gift. Inside there was a pink magic wand with a blue crescent moon on the tip.

Squeeing, Speckle scooped up both the wand and Flan, giving the little vampire a big hug.

The rest of the afternoon was spent having some cake, and it wouldn’t be a party without Pinkie Pie spontaneously appearing, the pink mare bringing boardgames and even a pinata.

Comments ( 1 )

Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah~ :heart:

I love you too, sweetie! You're the best! 😍

Login or register to comment