• ...
3
 10
 897

Chapter 9: Breakfast at Flan's

Starlight was in the kitchen early in the morning, preparing some coffee and looking over the sleeping figures of their guests.

Rainbow and Applejack were sleeping in the couches; Twilight was in the guest room by Flan’s petition. They stayed the night after the mini party held for the successful magic show the day before. Spike was invited to stay alongside Fluttershy and Rarity, but they declined mostly due to lack of beds for everypony, even though this didn’t matter for the other two and stayed anyways.

‘This doesn’t seem that bad after all,’ Starlight let out a sigh, ‘I guess I was worrying too much,’ she thought and let out a giggle.

Soon after, she hears little footsteps coming down the stairs and very faint yawns.

Flan made act of presence in the kitchen, noticing Starlight in the corner she gave her a wave with a sleepy smile.

Starlight pointed to the bathroom door while replying with a smile of her own, “go and wake up, Flan. I’ll handle breakfast…” she let out a sigh, “again.”

Flan nodded, and yawning once again, made her way to the bathroom.

Starlight sighed again, “Trixie’s supposed to do this,” she mumbled as she took the toasts from the toaster. “Oh well,” she shrugged.

She then arranged cups for everypony. But in doing so, she mistakenly filled Flan’s cup with coffee as well.

At that moment Applejack woke up and stretched her legs as she sat in the couch.

“Good morning,” Starlight greeted. She glanced at Applejack, “this is quite unexpected though. I thought you always woke the earliest.”

Applejack rubbed her head, “Ah’ was very stressed these days, when Ah’ got the feeling that Flan was in trouble Ah’ just couldn’t stay in home anymore.”

“How did you know about it, by the way? Was it just a hunch?” Starlight asked with curiosity.

“Ah’ don’t know how ta explain that, Ah’ just felt an ache in mah heart,” Applejack placed a hoof on her chest, “and Flan crossed mah mind at that moment.”

“You guys are too loud,” Rainbow said with annoyance, “can’t an awesome mare sleep in peace here?”

“That’s curious, how you didn’t wake up when the whole situation with Twilight happened just mere inches away from you, but this casual conversation did?” Starlight asked with a raised eye-brow.

Rainbow shrugged, “beats me.” She then saw Flan coming out of the bath room, “good morning, Flan,” both waved at each other. “By the way, Applejack just experienced a bond ache.”

“Bond ache?” Starlight and AJ asked, not noticing Flan made her way to her coffee filled cup.

“Yup, I named it myself!” Rainbow boasted.

“We would like an explanation instead of ego boasting, please.” Starlight stated, not amused at all.

Rainbow frowned, “You are no fun.”

AJ was about to join the ridiculous exchange when she finally noticed Flan sipping from her cup, “enjoying yer hot choco, Flan?”

This caught Starlight’s attention, “hot choco? I didn’t make…” she paused momentarily as what she did before dawned on her, “…hot choco…”

Rainbow didn’t like the expression on Starlight’s face, she herself was starting to sweat by the implications of this situation, “Starlight… you didn’t just gave Flan coffee, right?”

“Emm…” Starlight started with a nervous demeanor.

“You totally did, didn’t you?” Rainbow interrupted her with a deadpan expression.

Before anypony else got the chance to say anything, a red blur was bouncing all over the place.

“Oh horseapples,” the three of them said at the same time.

At this moment Twilight was coming down the stairs, “good morning girls, I heard the commotion here, what is goi…” she got interrupted the red blur slightly nudging her, making her lose her balance and was about to fall down the stairs.

The sudden movement took her off guard so she didn’t think to stabilize herself with her wings.

“Watch out!” AJ yelled.

Rainbow was about to fly to catch her friend, but the blur did it before she could and left Twilight on her hooves and unharmed at the feet of the stairs, stumbling on her hooves and dazed yes, but safe nonetheless.

The others sighted in relief.

“At least she still cares it seems,” Starlight said as she made her way towards the dazed Alicorn.

Rainbow let herself fall backwards into the couch, “she got me worried for a second there.”

“Ah’m still not sure what really happened here, isn’t Flan round’ 500 years old? Why did coffee affected her like tis’?” Applejack wondered with genuine curiosity.

Rainbow perked up, “Oh, that’s easy. Vampires like Flan don’t really mature until they are way older than that, so she’s still a kid,” she explained with non-before seen knowledge.

The others looked at her with blank stares for a few seconds.

“Might tell, how do ya’ know that, Rainbow?” AJ voiced her disbelief while rubbing her head.

“Miss Remilia told me, once when I visited Flan’s home I asked why they drank so much tea and stuff like that. Also Flan’s situation may be a reason for that too,” Rainbow shrugged, “but what do I know, I’m not a magic egghead like Twilight.”

“Hey, I’m not an egghead!” Twilight protested.

Rainbow just snorted amusingly.

Twilight left out a sigh, “anyways, what happened with Flan? Why was she so hyperactive?”

“I… kind of accidentally put coffee on her cup,” Starlight admitted with an awkward giggle.

Twilight looked at her for a moment, “so…” she started.

“Yeah,” Rainbow replied almost immediately.

Twilight facehoofed and the room stood in silence for a few moments.

Applejack decided to go towards the bathroom to refresh herself, but noticed the strange quietness, “Uh… where’s Flan?”

At that the others noticed the strangely quiet room too and started looking around for the chibi vampire.

“Flan?” Rainbow called, “Flan! Where are you?” she then flew around looking for Flan.

Twilight’s sight then passed by the entrance and noticed the door slightly open, “the door!” she exclaimed.

Rainbow quickly flew there, saw an envelope and a little box in the table located by the door. Then something clicked in her mind, “Derpy!”


Minutes Before:

Derpy was doing her route as usual, but was given a special package for Trixie alongside her new address.

Arriving at her destination she knocked at the door, almost immediately the door was opened by Flan, she also overheard a bit of the conversation inside.

“She got me worried for a second there.”

“Morning Flan!” She greeted the chibi vampire with a smile and a salute, “I have mail and a package for Trixie.”

Flan nodded and pointed at herself.

“Do you want to receive it?” Derpy asked receiving another nod, “Okay! Just sign here,” she presented the delivery form.

Flan swiftly signed and put the mail and the package in the table.

“Sorry that I can’t stay for a chat, today is quite hefty heh,” Derpy admitted and turned to leave, “see you later!” then she flew away.

But she didn’t notice the chibi vampire following her with a big smile.