• Published 12th Mar 2019
  • 410 Views, 8 Comments

Why Are We Dancing? The Flash Mob Fever - Zephyr Spark



After the town sings yet another random musical number, Twilight goes on a quest to discover how they can do a flash mob at any moment. The truth may terrify all of Equestria. Or it may just may just bore everyone. What do I know?

  • ...
 8
 410

Chapter 3 The Pickle Thickens

“Well, that was pointless,” said Twilight as they made their way to the hot air balloon.

“But why’d we leave?” asked Spike. “I wanted to know more about hot mares in waiting and the hoe houses.”

“Please stop saying that word.”

“What word?” Spike asked with a frown. “Houses?”

“No, the other one.”

“Hot mares in waiting?”

“Just, forget it. That whole talk was pointless anyways.”

“Talk? He was singing like 90 percent of the interview.”

“That’s my point,” she said.

“So, he caught the musical flu too?”

Twilight paused, opened her mouth to speak, but then considered the question.

“Actually,” she said, “I don’t know, Spike. Maybe, if we went back and talked to him, he wouldn’t even remember most of what he said.”

She opened her journal and scribbled down some notes.

“So, we’re going back?” asked Spike.

“I’m not listening to him sing nonsense again. Besides, he’s got an appointment.”

“Well, I still think we should split up and check out all the hoe houses. Ooo, I got it! Let’s go talk to a hoe-expert! I’ll bet they know something useful about hoes.”

“Spike, so help me, if you say that word one more time I am going to ground you for a month.”

“Alright, geeze,” he said, raising his hands defensively. “I’ll just be quiet.”

He managed to be quiet for a whole five seconds, before he stopped in his tracks. Twilight noticed he was no longer by her side and looked back, realizing he was trembling, eyes wide with apprehension. The moment passed and he stopped shaking.

“Spike? What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know,” he said. “It felt like I just walked into a cold space.”

“A cold space?” Twilight put her hoof into the space around him. “Well, it feels fine.” She then put her hoof on his head. “You’re a little warm, but still fine.”

“Yeah. Maybe I had a brain fart or something.”

They continued walking, but Spike seemed shaken, preoccupied. Twilight found it disconcerting.

“Spike, is something bothering you? I know I kind of forced you to come on this mission, but you don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“What? Oh, no, no. That’s not it. I was thinking about…something else.”

“Like what?”

“Usually, when we break into song and dance, we kinda forget what we’re doing and we don’t completely remember it afterwards? Right?”

“That seems to be the pattern. I’d also add that it seems like we don’t have total control over ourselves at the moment it happens.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

“Why?”

Spike was silent for moment. “Never mind. I’m just being crazy.”

“Whatever’s bothering you, just tell me.”

“Promise you won’t get mad?”

Twilight blinked. “I’ll try.”

“It’s kind of a weird idea but … when Princess Celestia made you an alicorn, did she… you know…?” He did a little shoulder jig and hummed.

She turned around so sharply it made Spike flinch, raising his hands defensively. He was sure she was going to scold him. But then, she started trembling. It started from her lips and worked its way up to her eyes.

“I’m sorry!” he said. “It’s not like—”

“Not like what? Like Princess Celestia never really wanted to make me an alicorn?”

“Twilight! That’s not what I said!”

She took a deep breath, trying to calm down. “I know, Spike. I know. I’m just a little upset.”

“I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”

“That’s not it,” she said.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m a bumbling failure who couldn’t make friends for most of her life. Princess Celestia would never choose me to be an alicorn. I know you’re right. I’ve always known it. Ever since I got these wings.”

“Twilight,” Spike said. “Have you been feeling this way after all this time?”

She nodded without looking at him.

“I’m sorry,” he said quickly, “No pony could’ve made a better alicorn than you. Look at everything you’ve done! Beating Tirek, stopping Discord, and rescuing Princess Luna. Look at all the lives you’ve touched! Starlight, Luna, me. Equestria is a better place because of you! Heck, I wouldn’t be alive if it weren’t for you.” Spike hugged her leg tightly. “If you asked her, Princess Celestia would tell you that she’s so proud of you.”

“But you have to wonder …” she said, “if she wasn’t completely in control of herself when she made me an alicorn.”

“Well, even if she was,” he said, “she made the right choice.”

“Spike, I…” she found herself tearing up even more. She hugged him back. “Thanks. I needed that.”

“Just promise me you’ll talk about it when stuff’s bothering you, okay?”

“Promise.” She said with a smile, as she wiped away her tears. “You’re the best, Spike.”

“I guess I have my moments.”

She chuckled and rolled her eyes. “Come to think of it, I think she sang an aria just before she changed me. But I don’t remember her dancing.”

“See?” Spike extended his hands emphatically. “All is well. Now, what do you say we head to Yakistan and talk to some Yaks?”

“Sounds good.”

The two walked off, side by side, failing to notice the trench coated figure who followed them. As the two headed into the square, the figure pulled out their walkie-talkie and spoke.

“Orion, this is Delta. The target’s on the move, headed to a hot air balloon. Yes. I think the Princess is starting to realize the truth. Understood. I’ll tell Kappa to watch them in Yakyakistan. Hopefully, he can make his move before they get in too deep. … For the last time. I’m not buying you anymore pickles. Just get your own. Hey! Don’t yell at me! You don’t exactly pay any of us. … Don’t worry, I’m sure Beta and Alpha can get you the pickles. Just, try not to eat them all at once this time, okay?” The figure hung up the walkie-talkie and grumbled. “Cheapskate.”

Comments ( 6 )

The age old question...

To live Zephyr... TO LIVE:fluttershbad:

I'm pretty sure that it's "Yakyakistan," not just "Yakistan".

9509042 Dang it. I knew I misspelled it, but I wasn't positive.

This is funny and interesting

Login or register to comment