• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,152 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,152

PreviousChapters Next
41: The Price You Must Pay, Part 2

Chapter 41: The Price You Must Pay, Part 2

Olman pulled out a card from his pocket and placed it face down before me. "Your action here will be your answer. Flip this card, and we will null our previous agreement. We will then create a new contract officially." Behind me, I heard a door click.

"The other action is getting up and walking away," he continued. "You will forfeit the game, and the Stalfos body, and awaken in your world. It goes without saying, but I feel it must be said; once you've made your choice and performed the appropriate action, you cannot change your mind."

I mulled over my choices, unsure of which was better. No matter which way I went, I was leaving behind friends or family. This wasn't going to be an easy way out, especially considering both sides had at least one person I liked. I sighed as I looked at the table, examining the card. Blue border, a face on it. Half of the face was black, the other white. Yeah...looks just like the Persona tarot card, I thought.

If I kept the human body and went back to Earth, what awaited me? Almost nothing. I could claim I was living on my own if someone asked, but it rarely felt like it. But I had family that really cared, who'd bend over backwards to keep me going, to help me get what I wanted. But with how long I've been here...what did they think happened to me, if they did at all?

What if I kept my Stalfos body and stayed in the other world? Who knew how long it would be before I could get back in the action? I had enemies that were well known, and wouldn't hesitate to come after me again. Was it a lie, and I'm not even in the same world as I was promised?

I looked at the door, which had swung open. Whichever path I chose, the others would never see or hear from me again. The choice I had...was I making the right one?

I sighed and stood up. "I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm fit to continue fighting in your name," I said. I walked to the door and put a hand on it, ready to close it behind me.

"Think carefully on your decision," Olman reminded me. "It is yours to make, but once you leave the room, you cannot change your mind."

I closed my eyes and, without answering, kept walking. As the door shut, I heard it click.

"Very well. Not everyone can handle the call of duty. You will be returned to Earth, and this will never be mentioned again. Farewell, Daniel," the voice rang out. From there, a wave of nausea hit me and my vision became distorted...


I groaned as I awoke from my slumber. I leaned forward, noticing that my covers had fallen off again. Not paying it any mind, I decided to get ready for the day. One Japanese Culture Club shirt from college? Check. It’s even stylized with my nickname on the back: Texaphones. Blue jeans that fit just right? Check. Old white tennis shoes that were hand-me-downs from my parents? Check. After confirming I had my keys, wallet, and cell phone, I packed up my laptop and opened the door to my apartment. The only time that passed was the moment I slept to the moment I woke up the next day. Locking the door behind me, I walked into the foyer where I saw my neighbor.

"Morning. Going to work?" he asked.

"Yeah, same as always," I replied. "I'll see you in the evening."

"Okay, have fun." That was our conversation. Same as before, same as it will always be, it seemed.

It felt weird how little time had passed, almost as if it was all a dream. It was still summer, which was nice when you're up north. I was walking to the library, my usual haunt, when I heard someone call out to me.

“Al! Over here!” Looking in the direction, I saw Eduardo. He’s the town’s carpenter, and if you asked anyone, the only thing keeping this city alive since there isn’t a better one in this or any of the surrounding counties.

“Eduardo, how’s it going?” I asked.

“Fixing up the shop,” he replied. “I’m putting in some new walls, but my coworkers all called in sick! I know you’re busy, but can you lend a hand for a moment?”

Now for those that don’t know, living in a small town means not many full-time or even part-time jobs exist. Those that do are usually set aside for family members or volunteer work. How does one get around this? My path is simple; become an odd-jobber, walk around and assist other people with their work. The pay isn’t as good as a true job, but it pays the bills.

Setting my bag down, I nodded. “I’ve got plenty of time. What can I do for you?”

Today’s first odd-job was simple: Eduardo was cutting some drywall, and needed an extra pair of hands to keep it steady so he didn’t cut it crooked. Then after it’s cut, we’d get it aligned, drilled in place, and boom; job well done.

After an hour or two, some of the coworkers came in, so Ed dismissed me and thanked me for helping him. With an extra $20 in my pocket, I left the carpenter’s shop, hearing Eduardo chew out the late workers.

Just at the library’s door, I heard my name called out again. “Excuse me, Al?” Turning, I saw an unfamiliar face. I guess it was inevitable, seeing as I’m here all day and sooner or later, everyone learns your name from hearing you talk to someone else. Our mystery person was pale skinned with dark red hair and freckles on her face. A strange combination of orange sweatshirt with Hello Kitty in the center, blue jeans, and sandal slippers made me think the poor girl didn’t see the light of day very much.

“I’m sorry, do I know you?” I asked.

“N-No, we haven’t,” she replied. Her response seemed far quieter than when she asked for me. “Alice Tolan. I, uh...heard you do things for others?”

I raised an eyebrow. “Depends...what’s the job?”

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a small figurine. “A friend of mine, Rachel...she left this at my house. I-I’d deliver it myself, but...her neighborhood is dangerous. You take risks, right? Can you get it to her?”

I groaned at the request. It wasn’t the fact that they needed something delivered: it was almost always “the neighborhood’s dangerous and I don’t want to get hurt, but you’re expendable.” They’d never say expendable, mind you, but the sentiment was always there. It annoyed me to no end. Why not just go to the post office and mail it back? But...to deny it would mean to turn down possible rent money...

“Okay, Miss Tolan, I’ll deliver it for you. Where’s her address?”

Alice gulped. “W-Well, it’s...from the Quik Trip, three blocks east and one block north.”

“That would be the graveyard,” I deadpanned.

She blinked a few times before blushing and smiling...were those braces on her teeth? “S-Sorry...that’s three blocks WEST and one block north. It’s a white house with...a brown roof?”

I sighed. “I’ll find it, just give me a full name for your friend.”

That slight outburst made her winced. “R-Rachel Forsythe. Her last name is Forsythe.”

Forsythe? I don’t remember someone with that last name. But with a simple nod, I headed to Quik Trip. It’s a gas station, but for our town it doubles as a grocery store, since we’re too small to have a proper one. Let’s see, if I approached from the library, west would be...to my right. I looked both ways before crossing the street, examining the figurine given to me once I was in the clear. It was weird...a dark blue horse with wings and a horn, its mane and tail both a lighter shade. On its flank seemed to be a crescent moon. If I didn’t know better...

I shook my head. Not everything revolves around ponies, Al. It’s just a coincidence, I thought to myself. After getting to the right street, I realized why Alice described the building’s look; no two houses on this block were the same. Bad news was that the house I was looking for was on the other side of the street. Once again, I looked both ways before running. Despite this, I heard the loud honking of a car. I jumped and hit it, sliding off the hood and onto my feet as it kept driving by. Could’ve sworn I saw the bird, too.

Stupid drivers...they’re inside the city limits, they can slow down just a bit. As if to answer my sentiments, I heard police sirens soon afterwards. Giving a simple smirk of (moral) victory, I went to the white house and a brown roof. Standing at the door to compose myself, I nodded and knocked. *knock knock knock, knock knock-knock knock*

A young woman opened the door, a bit rotund and uncaring of her appearance. A cigarette rested between her index and middle fingers, her long brown hair a mess, and pajamas with Coca-Cola patterns on it. “Listen, you’re cute, but maybe you should come by when I’m a bit more...”

I coughed and replied, “N-Not here for that. Are you Rachel Forsythe?”

She blinked. “Oh. One moment, I’ll get here down here.” She closed the door and shouted something. I didn’t wait long as the door reopened. I had to rub my eyes (by way of making it look like I was pinching the bridge of my nose) to make sure I wasn’t seeing things. Rachel was a slender woman. Her hair, which was in a ponytail and stopped at her shoulder blades, was a multi-colored hue of pink, cream, and purple. Her jeans seemed a size too big for her, but a belt kept them firmly in place. Her t-shirt had a blue heart that reminded me of the Blue Enigmas from Resident Evil 5, on a pink background.

Her voice even sounded a bit heavenly. “Yes, sir? You wished to see me?”

It took me a moment to realize I was staring. “Y-Yes...are you Rachel?” She nodded curiously. “I have...a figurine from Alice Tolan, if you know her. Do you recognize this?” I revealed the mini-alicorn, eliciting a gasp from Rachel.

“Oh, god, I thought I lost this!” She snatched it from my hands and suddenly hugged me. “Oh, thank you for getting this back to me! You have no idea how much it means to have this again! But please, come inside!” Without waiting, she actually yanked me inside by my shirt and shut the door.

As the door shut, the other woman’s voice bellowed, “RACHEL, ARE YOU TAKING HIM UPSTAIRS!? MAYBE YOU'LL BE QUIETER ABOUT YOUR-”

Rachel blushed and shouted, “Mooooom, don’t tell him about THAT! He’s just a friend!”

“AREN'T THEY ALL!? YOU SAY THAT ABOUT EVERY BOY THAT'S HER FOR YOU AND NOT ME! THEN YOU TWO GO UPSTAIRS AN-”

“That’s enough, Mom! Be nice to our guest!” She turned back to me and chuckled sheepishly. “S-Sorry about Mom...she’s always loopy in the mornings.” This was punctuated by pointing to her ear and making a circle motion.

“Every parent is. But they’re the reason we’re even here, so I just grin and bare it with my own,” I replied. “So, um...why DID you drag me inside?”

Rachel put the figurine on a table. “Do you know who this is?”

I blinked and said the first thing that came to mind. “Princess Luna of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?”

“IS YOUR NEW FRIEND A DUMB BRONY!? I THINK WE STILL HAVE SOME OF THOSE CUPCAKES YOU MADE FOR YOUR LAST FRIEND!!!” Geez, does that lady have volume control when she’s out of sight?

“CAN I TALK TO HIM IN PEACE, MOM!?” Rachel shouted. She turned back to me. “Sorry again. Anyway, you are right. But maybe we should talk where we have more...privacy.” Trust me, though her mother gives you thoughts, Rachel’s own tone says it IS for privacy, nothing more.

As we headed up the stairs, there was another shout. “HEY, BOY, DON’T REMOVE ANY OF YOUR CLOTHING! SHE’LL STRIP EVERYTHING ELSE OFF THE MOMENT YOU TAKE OFF THE HEADPHONES!!!”

Putting a finger in my ear to get some hearing back into it, I asked, “Is she always this loud?”

“Sadly. But it’s only when she’s out of sight,” Rachel replied. She turned at the top of the stairs and put a hand up, signaling to stop. “Give me a moment to, um...clean it up. Stephen isn’t the cleanest boyfriend.” She went into her room, and I heard a bit of rustling.

Another shout. “HEY, BOY! WHAT’S YOUR NAME!? HAVE YOU LIVED IN TOWN FOR LONG!?”

“Uh, about a year and a half, if that’s long enough!” I shouted

“ARE YOU A SEXUAL PREDATOR!?”

“MOTHER, WILL YOU QUIT ASKING EVERY NEW BOY THAT QUESTION!? NONE OF THEM WANT TO DO THAT TO EITHER OF US!” Rachel shouted inside of her room.

“MAYBE NOT YOU, DEAR, BUT I’VE STILL GO-” I took this time to put hands over my ears and begin humming random songs to drown out the shouting. This continued for minutes until Rachel opened the door and beckoned me in. Without wasting another moment, I quickly dashed inside.

Closing and locking the door, she chuckled sheepishly once more. “Again, sorry about my mother. One day, gonna have to find a nursing home for her...”

“Not to sound rude, but is she that old? You both look...”

“Young? Yes, we do. And...technically, we are, really...but it doesn’t hurt to start looking now. I mean, in a few years, she’ll get THOSE letters, y’know the ones, right?”

I shrugged. “Hey. You know family better than me.” I took a look around the room. While every bit as feminine as I thought, there were a few things that caught my eye. Those that know me would realize when I see a console, because I become focused. And my acquaintance (because friend is a bit too much right now, honestly) happened to have a Nintendo Wii. She seemed to catch my gaze, as she went over and kneeled in front of it.

“Oh? Have I found a gamer boy at last?” she teased. “Well, if you have some time, let’s play a game.”

Wait, what? A girl was asking me to play video games with her? Am I dead? Or is this a dream? Oh, god, please be neither. I nodded. “Sure...what games do you have that we could play?”

“Well, since it’s just me, I usually don’t have many ‘hardcore’ games that most people play. Just things like Brawl, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Party, and I recently acquired Dokapon Kingdom.” She quickly added, “Never play that game alone, the computer ALWAYS wins.”

“I’ve...never played Dokapon Kingdom...so yeah, let’s play that.”


Ladies and gentlemen, I call myself one of the BEST gamers out there. While I don’t compete because I don’t want to others to prove me otherwise (and yes, there are PLENTY that can prove otherwise), I still act a bit annoyed when I lose games, whether by a huge portion, or more often, by the skin of my teeth.

Dokapon Kingdom with Rachel, however, was NOT one of those times where I was annoyed to lose. In fact, I had more fun than I’ve ever had playing four-player-free-for-all Super Smash Bros. She informed me that the game can be played on Playstation 2, if you can find it, so it wasn’t a total lost cause to have to leave and find some more things to do. Namely, let Alice know I delivered the item safely.

Before I left, though, Rachel stopped me. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

“Um, sure. What can I do for you?” I asked.

“Two things. One, can you drop by again? I had fun playing games. Two would be...take this.” She held out her hands, obviously holding something in them. I put out my hand under it. When she opened her own, she placed the Luna figurine from before in my hand.

“It’s a gift. From a pegasister.” She looked away before adding, “I mean, if you want it. If not, I can...”

“No, it’s okay. Thank you very much, Rachel,” I said. I pocketed the figurine in my jacket pocket. “But why give me Luna? I thought you missed her?”

“I did. But...wanting is sometimes better than having. And if you keep her with you, she’ll watch over you in your dreams. At least...that’s what I believe.” She whispered, “Also, Stephen is a nice guy, but the poor boy can’t press A to save his life in a game.”

I was about to ask about that when Lady Loudmouth bellowed, “RACHEL! ALL OF YOUR FRIEND IS HERE!!!”

The look on Rachel’s face was very annoyed. “So glad you POINTED THAT OUT, MOM!!!” To me, she added, “She makes that joke every time Alice is here. She doesn’t think the ‘boy’ friends are true friends.”

“So glad I can be approved of,” I commented. We both left the room and descended to ground floor, with Alice waiting in the living room.

“Y’know, if you were going to drop by later, why didn’t you wait and bring the figurine then?” I asked. Alice jumped at the comment and attempted to hide.

“I-I didn’t know...you’d still be here...” she squeaked.

“I didn’t plan on it, really. I’d better get going.” I picked up my belongings and walked to the door.

“W-What about payment?” Alice asked. “I d-didn’t...”

“It’s okay, Alice,” Rachel replied. “I paid him.”

“I THOUGHT SO! YOU STOLE ANOTHER BOY’S INNOCENCE, YOU LI-”

“Wellwouldyoulookatthetimethingsmustbedonegoodbye!” I quickly shouted as I left as fast as I could.

I decided (or rather, my stomach decided) that now would be a good time to pick up food at Quik Trip. Well, it would’ve been a good time. I grew careless in my walk when another horn alerted that I was about to be hit. And, unlike the last one, this one signaled bad things.

It was a semi’s horn. And tire screeches. And everything went black.


Just like last time, I felt queasy. Moving anything hurt like hell. Even thinking hurt like hell. And the fact I was falling sucked like hell. The last thing I heard scared me like hell. So, with all of this in mind, I asked myself, “Why am I not burning in hell?”

“Because you are not dead,” a soft, matronly voice answered.

From my pocket, the Luna figurine jumped out and flew. She grew taller, her wings and horn growing larger, and her mane becoming dark blue with stars within. At least it seemed like it. When her transformation finished, she landed in front of me, gazing at me curiously. My gaze was less in awe and more ‘slack-jawed confusion.’

I finally blinked and closed my open mouth. “Princess...Luna? What are you doing here? And...what happened to my home?”

“It was not your home. It was an illusion, cast by your mind. That is what dreams do. They make you feel at home. Or...in the case of a nightmare, make you wish it wasn’t happening.” She lied down, prompting me to mimic the movement. “Your dream, though...we felt it, but t’was difficult to locate. Almost as if you weren’t in Equestria.”

“Wait...I AM in Equestria?” I asked. “I wasn’t lied to?”

“No,” was her simple reply. “But how far are we from Canterlot? Are we in the Dragon Badlands? The old Griffon Dominion?”

“Um...I think he said I was in the Black Marsh,” I offered. “Pretty wet place, and very untamed. And did you know necromancers lived there? Because they do. They’re jerks.”

“We would never have guessed,” she said, dropping the motherly tone. “In fact, we are amazed one such being even exists anymore. Please tell us he is no more.”

“Would you simply like me to SAY it, or say it and sincerely MEAN it?”

Luna sighed. “Never you mind, then. However...if you’re wishing to enter Equestria, the Black Marsh is far from Canterlot.” She closed her eyes as if to guess our location. When she opened them, however, her gaze was very death-giving. “Dost thou believe us to be foolish?” she asked.

“Um..what?” I asked.

“Thy soul cannot be located anywhere in the Black Marsh. Nor on Equis itself, for that matter! If thou wishes for the help of thy saviour in dreams, THOU SHALT DROP THE ACT!! WHERE. ART. THOU!?” Her voice became so loud, I was shot back a good five yards, landing on my back. Dreams hurt a lot, did you know that?

I got up, grunting. “I’m not lying! My body really is there! My soul is...” I realized the problem. “My soul...is in turmoil.”

Luna regained her motherly tone, but her posture still proved she was skeptical about my words. “Explain.”

“Well...my body is pretty much near death...and I have to choose between going home and pretending this never happened...”

“Or choosing to stay and complete the mission your god set forth?” she finished.

“Or choose to st-wait. How did you know?” I asked.

“In case he, or she, didn’t tell you, there are others like you,” she explained. Her horn glowed as a globe appeared. Was that their world? “Others, chosen by gods to protect the world of Equis. Or in some cases...” The globe turned red and exploded into nothing. “...they wish to destroy it.”

“...wow. Way to make my choice even harder. Now I choose between a normal boring life on my old world or come back to Equis on a quest to either save or destroy it,” I deadpanned.

Luna laid beside me. “We know it is a difficult choice. Your old life didn’t have curves, did it? A simple life, a simple path, a simple...you. And this new life...full of wonder, new opportunities, and everything you could hope to achieve.”

“Like it’s a dream,” I sighed. “How do I know my life there isn’t a dream? How do I know I’m not in a coma and my life there may end without warning?”

I felt a wing wrap around me. “Simple. If you were dreaming in your world, we would be unable to visit you now,” she responded. “We know you may want nothing more than to go back now. But you being in Equis...it means you’re needed here. Besides, you can always go back home.”

“If only,” I muttered. “I can’t go back if I choose to stay here. Otherwise I would’ve chosen to stay in a heartbeat. And I can’t see my future for either path...so I don’t know if I would be making the right choice or not.”

We laid there in silence. Luna had closed her eyes, though I couldn’t tell with her mane blocking my view. “...your real name is Al, yes?”

“It’s...short for my real name, but yes. Why do you ask?”

“I...rarely give such direct answers. I believe in my sister’s way of guidance, which is in riddles. But...you should help the god who guided you here. Change Equis. Show us, not just me, but my sister, my niece, everyone in the world, that you can make a difference.”

I looked to Luna. She had a determined look, and some kind of fire in her eyes. “You are one of the chosen few to have received the call,” she continued. “Do not deny it! Show that you deserve to be a champion!! A HERO!!! THE PROVERBIAL LIGHT TO PENETRATE THE DARKNESS!!!” she bellowed as a finale. I couldn’t help but smile at the Moon Goddess’s energy. She’s right; even though I was the seventh chosen by Olman, I was the first to take up the call. And if I didn’t step up, who would take my place? Earth could stand without me. Though my friends and family would mourn, they would live on. Equis needed me.

I jumped to my feet and nearly hugged Luna. Keyword; almost. I realized before I did so that she was still a princess. She seemed to note my hesitation, and voiced it. “As long as we are in the Dream World, only two beings rule here; myself and Morpheus himself. You are allowed to hug, if you so wish.” I didn’t waste a second hugging her.

“Thank you for your words. I...don’t know what lies ahead, and it honestly scares me to no end,” I admitted.

“I do not know, either,” Luna consoled, “but that’s the fun in living. Now go; your god awaits your decision.” With a nod, I saw myself disappear. With a final wave, I was gone.


Luna watched the human disappear, her motherly gaze turning stoic. “You could have introduced yourself to him, too, Morpheus,” she stated.

Another human, one with neat, long curly blond hair; pale yet healthy-looking skin; and a simple dark-blue suit with a tie, stepped beside her. “I shall, in due time. But he needed a mother figure at that moment. To join in would ruin that precious moment.”

“I...should apologize to Igor when I see him next. I shouldn’t push his piece in a direction he doesn’t wish to go,” Luna replied.

Morpheus made a motion, showing an image of Earth. Near a gas station, multiple people crowded around a large semi, blood on the front grill. The driver had come out, talking to police on the scene. Most people weren’t concerned with him, though. They were focused on the young man that had been hit by the truck. He wore a now-blood soaked black shirt, with a blue fox and JCC on the front, the back reading Texaphones. His blue jeans were torn, showing broken bone and muscle, his tennis shoes either torn or unable to be found; no one quite knew.

Luna gasped at the sight. This was just the boy she was talking to.

“There are some things that should be avoided. You pushing him to stay allows him to travel a different path. One that will not end in such a swift demise,” Morpheus explained. “Do not apologize for saving a life. Even if they are unaware it needed saving.”

Author's Note:

Okay, ladies and gentlemen. This chapter was LONG overdue. I had hoped to complete it before the New Year came, but...well, it's here now, not then. But hopefully, this proves I am NOT done with this fic quite yet. And believe it or not, I toyed with this ending here and leaving you to think it's over before it even began. Can't be that heartless to my loyal readers, though, so...hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next