• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,146 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,146

PreviousChapters Next
33. Mansions and Skaterparks

Chapter 33: Mansions and Skaterparks

Okay, so I bet you're dying to know what the inside of the mansion looked like. Well, imagine the fanciest mansion you've ever been in. ...never been in one? Then just imagine the fanciest house you’ve managed to see the inside of. It can range from a rich friend, a video game, a movie, etc. Got the best? Good.

Now increase the beauty of it tenfold.

As I picked my jaw up off of the floor, Drac stomped his hoof twice. Immediately, two unicorns had ran over to him, heads bowed. "Yes, sir?" they asked in unison.

Shiira stepped forward, Morva still on her back. "The lion and the unicorn are fighting for the crown," he muttered.

He knows the password, Bard said. He has to die.

Did I mention having no eyes has its perks? Because it does: no one knows when you roll them. Perfect if you're crazy and have voices in your head that say the dumbest things! But I'm steering away from the story.

Drac lifted the lizard off of Shiira's back with his magic, setting it on the right unicorn's back. "This guest was poisoned. He's cured, but he needs some rest, so I need you two to take him to one of the guest rooms. Can this be done without a problem?"

Both unicorns nodded in sync. I guess I should mention that every unicorn looked the same: light-blue mane, fuschia coat, wearing a black and white maid outfit. If there was a way to tell them apart, I couldn't tell. As Morva was taken out of sight, Drac turned to the rest of us. "While he's being taken care of, why don't I show you around?" he asked, gesturing to the doors under the stairs.

The tour was pretty long, considering the size. There was a room for EVERYTHING: a ball room, a kitchen, a work-out room, a room full of armor, a room for tea time, a room full of nothing but clothes (for mares AND stallions), and so many other rooms that I thought could not exist. Although, some of them I actually wondered why he had in the first place, like a freaking conservatory.

Apparently, Drac DID build this topside: where the shack was, in fact. But, according to the big guy himself, 200 years after it was built, it sank into the swamp. So he built the shack as a disguise and dug his way back to the mansion. Of course, this was difficult as it was only himself and you had to dig the hole, drain the water, build a staircase and line the walls up with torches...yeah. When he finally found it, it was just as bad as the shack; maybe even worse.

So, he set out north of the marsh, into Equestria. NOW he had my attention. He had traveled the lands and picked up ponies of all kinds: usually orphans or street rats, those that society wouldn't miss should something happen to them. But he treated them with care and respect, and gave them shelter in exchange for restoring the mansion to glory and keeping it tidy.

If you ask me, they succeeded greatly.

Our tour ended in the hallway, with multiple doors leading to guest rooms. As everyone chose a room and retired, Drac stopped me from entering the one I wanted. "Get some rest, because tomorrow, you're going to start a bit of training. You may have beaten me because I let you, but others aren't so kind." I nodded and entered my room. After stretching my limbs, I climbed into bed and nodded off.

---The Mindscape---

I had a good silence for about fifteen minutes before a familiar figure entered my vision. You know, tweed suit, Flim and Flam-style hat, and cane? Yep, Olman had deemed it a good time to see me finally.

"Good evening, Daniel," he greeted.

"Likewise, Olman," I returned.

"Good to see you're doing well, my champion. I'm actually glad the others rejected my offer now."

I rolled my eyes. "You say that as if putting me on your team was a bad idea at the time."

Olman shrugged his shoulders as he waved a hand. It showed my fights; against the cyclops, chupacabra, Wisp, Drac, Morva, Shiira, Shanoa, Highwind's forces, Highwind himself, and Albus. Each one only played for a moment, showing the highest and lowest points of the matches. After each passed, Olman waved his hand again, revealing a sphere.

"You did as I wished," Olman said, "but your skill is...very lacking. You need training." He handed me the sphere as he finished the sentence.

"Yeah, Drac agrees with you, because he's having me start training tomorrow," I revealed. The sphere disappeared into my hand, but I didn't notice a change of any sort. "I don't know what kind of training, though. And that worries me."

The geezer tapped his chin for a moment before nodding. "Well, I have an idea. How about a bit of training in your sleep?"

Training in my sleep? That's new. Wonder what I'm going to learn?

"I bet you're wondering what you're going to learn," he said.

Oh, he's good, Bard chuckled. Oh, great, he's entered my dreams, too. I shall never have a good night's sleep again.

"You shall learn two things in your sleep: sword training and freerunning. While it's obvious why you need sword training, I have a reason for freerunning."

"And that would be?" I asked.

"That, I cannot reveal yet," Olman chuckled. "But I will say this: if I can get my way, you'll get to see someone you've known since the day you were born."

"...why aren't you going to tell me?"

"Because I don't want to get your hopes up. Though you will agree that when you see him, he's the best there is."

I nodded before a thought entered my mind. "Just how long am I stuck here? I mean, I know I came here of my own free will, but can't I leave the same way?"

Olman tapped the floor with his cane. "Sadly, that is not how it works," he answered. "Your adventures in the underground city were just the beginning. You will be able to go home, that much I can assure you. But I wouldn't hold my breath for it being anytime soon."

I closed my eyes in thought. When I opened them again, the land changed from empty space to a warehouse. Multiple ledges, a wooden halfpipe, rails...it looked like it was ripped from a Tony Hawk game.

"You'll spend most of your training, sword and freerunning, here in this warehouse," Olman instructed. "You can stay as little or as long as you like. Just remember that you can't heal until you wake, so careful of injuries. Understood?"

I nodded. As I examined the room, I found the Beam Sword hilt lying on the ground. I picked it up and clicked the button, the pink blade showing itself.

"Ah, also I hope you don't mind that I've taken your Beam Sword and kept it in here. I know you like it, but I've enchanted it to where it won't leave your mind. After all, you have the other sword, right?"

"And the shield," I added, swinging the sword and getting a feel for it. "Not sure if I still have MC, though. It'd be nice to have a two-handed weapon."

Olman was behind me, so I couldn't see his expression. "Then I would suggest a lance: they have a good reach. Plus, lances over sword, remember?"

I performed a small spin attack, facing Olman as it ended. "Yeah, but axes over lances, and swords over axes. I know the weapon triangle. Not many people uses lances."

"But even fewer rely on axes," Olman pointed out. "Therefore, by mastering a lance, you have a huge advantage over opponents. It's up to you in the end, however. If you don't want to, you don't have to."

After a while longer, I finally clicked the button, returning the Beam Sword back to just a hilt. Q&A time, I believe. "So, the gods saw fit to have fun here. But just what are you the god of?" I asked.

Olman tapped his cane again. "Hmm...a blunt question, my champion. But a good one. I guess you can call me the god of cutscenes."

"...what," I deadpanned.

"Oh, don't write it off as rubbish JUST yet," he countered. "Think of every single cutscene you've witnessed. Ever wonder how one gains so much power when you're not in control? I give them that power. I can also take it away, hence why others can't seem to catch a break when you're not controlling them. Then there are the events that happen where you need to press a button to gain an advantage, prevent a disadvantage, or even to avoid kicking the bucket. Though it seems trivial, it is what I am."

Well, he certainly has the charisma. I wonder, though, if he was telling the truth. I mean, c'mon, video game cutscenes? He's gotta be pulling my leg. Or...he's not ready to reveal it just yet, and that's what he's gonna stick with until he IS ready to tell me.

"So why did you accept the offer?" Olman suddenly asked.

His question caught me off-guard. I hesitated before saying, "Had nothing better to do on Earth. It was boring, and this seemed like an interesting option."

"That's not your only reason, is it?" he questioned.

I stayed silent for a while. "...my life isn't really one I wanna talk about, okay? Besides, if you're a god, you should know what my past was like."

Olman pulled on the top of his cane. Slowly, it detached to reveal a sword. Sword cane. An old man's gotta have defense somehow, I guess, Bard observed.

He pointed the blade at me with a smile. "Point," he said. With that, he thrusted the blade at me. I hit the button on the hilt and side-jumped, glaring at the god.

---One Training Match Later---

*pant, pant, pant*

"Well, you're pretty skilled for someone not trained," Olman remarked, sheathing his sword. I couldn't reply: our session left me gasping for air from trying to keep him from hitting me. I dropped to my hand and knees, my sword dropped to the side. He helped me back to my feet and put my hands behind my head. "Remember what your athletic coaches taught you," he said. "You'll get more oxygen this way."

I breathed in, held for a moment, and breathed out coughing. "What was...that for?" I asked.

"Had to gauge you somehow. I know now where to start you off. Now wake up. It should be time." A bright flash erupted from the sword cane's gem, blinding me. When it faded, Olman was gone.

I sense a lot of fun in your future, Bard laughed.

I sense a lot of pain in my future, honestly, I muttered. I closed my eyes, letting darkness take me again.

Author's Note:

Yay, I finally have another chapter made. And yay, I finally have new coverart! The one responsible is in the story description, in case you want to see more of their work.

PreviousChapters Next