• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,146 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,146

PreviousChapters Next
7: Wisped Away

Chapter 7: Wisped Away

Wisp made the first move. As soon as the signal was given, he dashed forward, steel mace in mouth. I blocked with my shield and countered with a quick thrust. Unfortunately, I went right through him. He didn't suffer any kind of pain. He gave a small, evil chuckle. "Sorry, but you're going to have to do better than that to land a hit on me," he commented. I felt the mace slam against my spine, sending me right into the ground. I rolled to the right as Wisp stomped the spot where my head used to be. I got up, shaking from the previous attack.

Ghosts were always a bitch to harm, much less kill. Of course, I didn't plan on taking away lives of the dead. ...did that make any sense whatsoever? Anyway, I only know a few ways to harm one, mostly all from video games. First, normal weapons do nothing. If you have a demonic weapon, one made of silver, or one imbued with magic of any sort, it will hurt. Others will simply go right through them, like my trusty swo-oof! Maybe I shouldn't be thinking on random things right now, I thought as my head flew off my shoulders. Thankfully, my hat was still attached, so no one saw my face.

For some reason, Wisp took this time to appeal to the crowd instead of capitalizing on my situation. As he got the other ghosts to start doing the eerie howl (y'know oooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo), I had my head hopping back to my body while my body felt around for my skull. Thankfully, we reunited within half a minute. I spun my skull onto my neck, just because I could. As soon as my head stopped spinning, I was face-to-face with Wisp once more.

"I really thought you'd be a bit more of a challenge," he sighed. Once again, he smashed his mace against my ribs, strong enough to send me right into the wall. Damn! What's that mace imbued with?!? Knockback?!? I thought angrily. Timeout...is it imbued? I took a look at the mace once more. It had a clear aura. It was almost unnoticeable, but it was there. The air around the mace was distorted! That meant I could use it to my advantage! Only one problem...I had to find a way to get it out of his hooves.

Wisp looked ready to end it all here and now. He moved fast. Really fast. Too fast to turn, as I sidestepped and made him crash into the wall. Damn, he didn't drop his mace. And, most likely, he wasn't going to fall for that trick again. He shook his head and glared at me. I just couldn't resist. "I'm over here, Everclear!" I shouted. He charged at me again. This time, I held up my shield to take the brunt of the impact. It slightly worked, but it still didn't disarm him. It really made me wish my weapon was enchanted: then I didn't have to take his. "Hey, wanna see what your spine looks like? Oh, wait, YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, COWARD!" I taunted. I shoved him out of the way and stayed defensive for a moment. Strangely, I saw a white light in the corner of my 'eye.'

Glancing, I smiled inwardly: my sword! It was glowing again! I knew Wisp was still going strong, so I had to do some big damage with this hit. But what could I use against a ghost? Maybe...freeze him? Yeah, that could work. As soon as it came to mind, the aura once again changed, this time to a light-blue color. I saw Wisp was now seething with anger.

"I've played around LONG ENOUGH!" he bellowed. "STOP STRUGGLING!" He charged lighting fast, mace at the ready. "Maybe you should chill out," I suggested. I tried to sidestep, swinging my sword as he passed. Keyword: tried. Though I did connect with my blow, his mace still hit me, completely shattering two of my ribs. Wisp, however, was not so lucky. My blade had managed to connect with his wing, and though it wasn't severed, it was frozen solid, preventing him from taking to the skies anymore. He faceplanted, dropping his weapon close to his side.

I glanced at my weapon and was saddened that the glow had disappeared again. Was its magic only temporary? I didn't have time to think it over as Wisp shook off his pain and picked up his mace again. This was going on for a bit longer than I expected, and I'm pretty sure it was going on for much, MUCH longer than Wisp believed it would. I decided to sheath my sword and tossed my shield into my right hand. There was a certain move I've been wanting to do ever since I got this thing...

Wisp was now seething with anger. "That is the LAST STRAW!" he bellowed. "I'M GOING TO TURN YOUR BONES TO DUST, AND SCATTER THEM TOPSIDE!" Wow. I really rustled his jimmies. How about I rustle them some more? "You can try," I offered. He galloped towards me, which was far slower than using his wings, as I ran to meet him. Mace met shield as we fought for dominance. I figured now would be as good of a time as any to use that move. I backed off, forcing Wisp to tumble forward.

Before he could recover, I grasped my shield and shouted, "For freedom!" I then did a quick 3-uppercut combo on his jaw, where he held his mace, punctuating every hit with, "STARS! AND! STRIPES!" The second hit knocked the mace out of his mouth, while the final hit sent him right through the arena wall. Quickly, I tossed my shield back to my left arm and picked up the fallen mace. When Wisp returned, I held the mace above my head. I expected him to charge at me, just so I could send him flying as he did with me. Instead, he collapsed to his knees. He said something, but I couldn't quite make it out.

"Um, once more? I didn't get that the first time," I said.

Wisp complied. "You win. I concede the match."

"And there you have it, everyone! Daniel has forced Wisp to concede victory, meaning Daniel moves on!" The crowd roared as I approached Wisp.

"Quite a match you gave me," I commended. "I believe this is yours." I put the mace back in his mouth, which he proceeded to place onto his back. (Seriously, I have GOT to figure out how ghosts do these things)

"You, too," he sighed. "But if you don't mind, I'd like to have a chat with you."

PreviousChapters Next