• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,137 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,137

PreviousChapters Next
12: Alliance

Chapter 12: Alliance

"I don't think you should've won," Jack said.

"I don't think you should even be standing," Melody added.

"I don't think I should be conscious," I finished.

My sword, sheathed, was laying by my bed; my shield, shrunk back to normal, was leaning on the wall beside the door; Jack and Melody were reattaching my broken bones and relocating the ones that moved to places they ought not be; and I...I was a complete wreck. Let's face it: that last match? The only reason I even walked out of there on my own two feet was because Dracula didn't finish me off with that last attack and tried to get me to bend to his will.

"That should be it," Melody said, patting my bones. "The dislocated bones have been placed where they belong, the broken ones are starting to restore themselves, and you're just about back to normal."

I gave a soft laugh. "Normal? Please. The moment I came here, 'normal' decided to retire from the business."

"Trust me when I say it'll come back." Jack held out my blue robes. It looked like Swiss cheese and Bleu cheese combined themselves to create this thing. "Unlike this ragged robe of yours. You're going to need a new look."

"Yeah. I should get a look actually says 'Daniel Fortesque,' not 'Vivi,' y'know?" I asked. A few blank expressions answered that. "...actually, don't answer that, you don't know Vivi. But a new look's not a bad idea, considering next is the semi-finals."

"How about a RED robe to go with your yellow hat?" Melody suggested. I could only stare at her, while Jack raised his eyebrow in confusion. "...right, palette swap won't work so well."

"Hell, why not just go out like that?" Jack asked, gesturing to my current look. (If you need help, just take a look at the story's current picture, minus the metal cap)

"But what about staying...um...what's the word?" Melody tapped her chin thoughtfully.

"Incognito?" I offered. "At this point, I no longer care. And, who knows, maybe no one will notice." Yeah, fat chance of THAT happening, if Wisp could figure it out!

"Actually, I have an idea! I'll be back with your new wardrobe!" And like that, Melody shot off through the walls. Jack coughed something, but I didn't quite catch it.

"Well, I'll leave you to prepare for the semi-finals," Jack said. "You're doing well, don't stop now." He opened the door and walked out. I guess I could use this time to meditate.


Was my meditation interrupted? Yes. Was it by someone I expected? No.

"I must say, I was very impressed with your last minute comeback."

Light reentered my vision as a dark gray unicorn with a white mane appeared before me. Now how did he get in here? Door's probably unlocked. "Ah, hello. To what do I owe the honor of meeting you, Lord Dracula?"

He chuckled at my courtesy. "At least you are as respectful as my servants. It's a shame you turned down my offer."

"My victories, whether they be through skill, strength, or sheer dumb luck, should be earned and not given to me," I said, "nor should they be, with all due respect, part of a deal."

He nodded in agreement. "So I must ask: how did you get here, and why do you not look like a human?"

Oh, boy. I'm gonna have to explain it a third time. "If I answer, will you tell me what you're doing here?" I believed it to be a fair trade. And he believed so, too. With that, I recounted my tale for the third time, this time actually revealing Olman, but still not saying my true name.

"So...a game that the gods play. What exactly is Olman the god of?" the vampire inquired.

"I wish I knew. He'd make it a lot easier on me," I sighed. "So anyway, what are you doing here? I thought you'd be in...is it Transylvania or Castlevania?"

"It's a long story, if you're willing to listen," Dracula replied dejectedly. He then went on to reveal that yes, he lived in Transylvania, in a huge castle called, you guessed it, Castlevania. (Seriously, the castle was allowed its own zip code) After multiple consecutive defeats among the Belmont Clan (and friends such as Eric Lecarde, Grant Danasty, and Shanoa, to name a few), he decided to move Castlevania to this little town called Suburbia, allowing a rising actor named Lawrence Thompson to be the tenant while he was away.

"As for being here in the Black Marsh..." he started, but was interrupted by a knock at the door. The draco zombie entered the room once again.

"Well, Daniel, you're on the final stretch. Your semi-final match is against Morva. Try to make it as exciting as your match against Lord Dracula." That was all he said as he left. The kid didn't even bat an eye at me!

"Um...wow. Kinda expected a bigger reaction. Anyway...about you being in the Black Marsh?" I motioned.

"Um, oh yes. The Black Marsh. Actually, you've noticed the plant monsters that I keep in my lair, yes?" If it's anything like the games, how could I not? They were all deadly and could tear you a new one as they ate your old one. "The Black Marsh is where I gather the seeds. From there, they grow wherever I plant them in my castle. I simply participate in the tournaments whenever I feel the need to test myself. After losing to...those brats...I had to practice. This is the first time in 7 years I've come to Necro City and fought in a tournament."

"I say you did good, all things considered," I complimented. "But why did you ask for my loyalty instead of turning me into bone dust?"

"I have an explanation. But that is for later. Right now, you have a match." He opened the door and walked into the hallway. He stopped and said one more thing: "Necro City is unknown to the world. I am one of the few who wish to make it known."

Unknown? Why would the undead wish for this place to BE known? I thought. I picked up my sword and focused, allowing it to be charged when I fought Morva. Actually...what was Morva? I completely forgot. Sheathing my sword with a frown (that I couldn't make, curse my form!), I picked up my kite shield. I opened the door to find Melody with a new set of clothes.

"Here you go, Mr. Fortiskay!" she said enthusiastically. Ugh...here we go again... "I think you'll like this outfit! It suits your 'warrior' side perfectly!"

I have sides? That's news to me. "What do you have?" I asked, unfolding the clothes.

............

God help me, I think the real Daniel Fortesque is now up, about, and searching for his own way into Equestria, just to find and murder Melody and me.


He has passed the quarter-finals, my lord.

Against Dracula? That old vampire must be slipping to lose to such a weakling.

Or Fortesque is stronger than we thought.

DO NOT DARE SUGGEST THAT WORTHLESS SACK OF BONES IS STRONGER THAN THE LORD OF DARKNESS HIMSELF!

I-It was only a suggestion, sire! I didn't me-

Be silent! Hm...

What is it, my lord?

His next opponent seems to be...different somehow.

Morva, the Dragon Prince? He is a rare creature, like that undead drake that keeps giving everyone their match updates.

No...he has an...otherworldly aura around him. Amazingly, it is one I see on Fortesque, as well.

Otherworldly...aura? What do you mean?

I had believed they had stopped that thing 30 years ago.

Stopped what, sire?

...it need not concern you. Keep an eye on Fortesque, remember the plan, and make sure to have everyone on standby.

By your orders. ...your majesty.

This had better be important if you are not yet gone.

What should we do about...Dracula?

...nothing. He is no longer a threat, if Fortesque was able to defeat him.

B-but, if he was holding back, or F-Fortesque actually IS st-

Finish that sentence. I dare you.

.........

I thought so. Relay the orders.

Y-yes, sir.

...he is one lucky bastard to make it past Dracula. But Morva will stop him. And if not...the finals are guaranteed to be in my favor.

PreviousChapters Next