• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,134 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,134

PreviousChapters Next
25: Insert Witty Title Here

Chapter 25: Insert Witty Title Here

In hindsight, I should really plan out my parts a tad further. Y'see, the only thing I said about my plan was that I was storming the castle. What I failed to realize, however, was that the castle was...pretty heavily guarded at the front, the windows were very high, making climbing a dangerous task, the guards were on high alert...pretty much, every problem I could face, it was there. Thank GOD no one was aware I was there. What else could...no, Daniel. Don't say that. Don't even THINK that.

"That kind of thinking will only get you more trouble," I muttered to myself.

"What are you talking about, love?" a voice piped up.

Without thinking, I turned in the direction of the voice and answered, "I was thinking about how my operation could go MARCY WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!?"

The gryphon chuckled sheepishly. "I saw you trying to sneak into the castle and I thought you could use some help." I noticed she had some saddlebags on her, one on each side. Was she on an errand?

“How did y-”

“You stick out like a sore thumb with the yellow hat, hun.”

“But...the hat is me...”

Marcy removed my hat and placed it in her left saddlebag before I could protest any further. "Which is why you need to leave it for now. If I could see you, they could. Maybe it's why they're on higher alert than before."

Higher alert than before? ...fuck me and the horse I rode in on. (Don't. It'll only get you in trouble with the authorities.)

I tapped my foot silently, wondering just how I was going to get in without getting everyone after me. I couldn't, however, think straight after the first five minutes because Marcy kept poking my skull trying to get my attention, whispering, "Hey, Daniel. Daniel, you there? I have a plan. Hey, Daniel. Daniel, you there? I have a plan." Repeat ad infinitum.

Finally, she got to me. I turned to her and yelled (as quietly as I could so I didn't alert the guards [don't wrack your brain trying to figure that out]), "WHAT?!?"

"I can get you in there. But you've gotta make a promise," she smirked.

Please don't be what I think it is, please don't be what I think it is! I sighed before I replied. "What would you have me do?"

"I want to spend as much time with you as I can. Take me with you on this crazy adventure you're on." Oh. So it WASN'T what I thought it was. I can live with this. ...I've really gotta stop that.

"Deal," I said, grasping her claw and shaking it to seal the deal. "So what's the plan to get in?"

Marcy grabbed my head, pulled it off of my body, and stuffed it into her left saddlebag. I could hear her pulling off the other parts and stuff them into the right side, while she threw the sword hilt and warhammer into the left side with my head. "You okay in there, sweetie?" Marcy asked.

"I'll be fine," I replied. "And don't call me 'sweetie.' Nor is my name 'darling,' 'honey,' 'smoochum,' or 'love.' I'm not a fan of pet names."

Marcy rolled her eye (if you MUST know which side her eye was on, it was the right side) as she relayed her part in the plan. Simply put, I wasn't fighting ANYONE until the throne room. She would walk in like she owned the place, converse with guards, then leave a 'gift' for King Griffon. And before you ask, yes, there actually WAS a gift for King Griffon in Marcy's possession, I was just an added 'bonus.' She'd leave the saddlebags in the throne room, and from there, I'd reform myself (somehow) and we'd have our epic showdown.

Honestly, of all the things I should be worried about, I worried the most about if I made the right choice in taking Marcy into my group.


*inside the castle*

Marcy sighed. Sometimes, being a courier was...well, it wasn’t a pleasant job. She much preferred running the bar’s karaoke nights. Sadly, those nights only came once in a blue moon. She came to the throne room doors and was about to open them when two ghost guards appeared. One looked like an old, grizzled gryphon in his past life, while the other looked like a greenhorn pegasus.

“Hold it right there!” the pegasus guard shouted. “What business do you have in the castle?”

“I have a package for the king,” Marcy replied in as nice of a tone as she could. “It’s urgent he gets this.”

“It is, huh?” the old gryphon asked, a hint of doubt in his voice. “I’m going to have to take a look at it, then.”

“NO!” Marcy shouted. She coughed, clearly embarrassed about her actions. Trying to recover, she continued, “I mean, um...it’s not something the king wants anyone else to see. Private things, you know?”

“Really?” the gryphon chuckled.

“Now what could a pretty young woman like you have for the king that’s so important, it has to be private?” the pegasus added.

“If I told you, then it wouldn’t be private anymore,” Marcy said, her tone carrying a hint of annoyance. “Also...” She looked around for any passing guards before she whispered, “...you know what he does to guards that don’t do their job.”

The gryphon looked at his comrade. He knew full well Marcy was not speaking the truth, but he wanted to see how the pegasus reacted. “Uhh...well...” the pegasus stammered, “I just can’t...”

“It’s nothing dangerous. I promise.” The zombie gryphon crossed her heart as she spoke the words.

After a moment’s contemplation, the old ghost nodded. “Alright fine. But watch yourself. There’s some strange stuff going on.”

“Strange stuff?” Marcy did her best to look confused. “Like what?”

“The king’s been acting weird,” the greenhorn answered. “Ordering double security on everything, and triple in high value areas. I think something's about to go down.”

“Do you have an idea what might be the cause? Maybe a...ghost from the past, pardon the pun?” She managed a small blush.

“Dunno.” The grizzled one dropped his voice to a whisper, “They found a bunch of guards unconscious in the dungeons, though. Whoever they were keeping down there must be big trouble.”

Marcy let out a soft gasp. “Then the sooner I get this to the king, the better. Thank you for the information.”

“No problem, ma’am,” both ghosts said, in unison.

The doors to the throne room opened slowly, allowing Marcy to enter the room with her saddlebags. Usually, she wouldn’t be so keen to skip procedure, but this wasn’t one of her usual deliveries. Another sigh escaped from her beak as she saw the king sitting in his throne.


"Marcy!" King Griffon shouted. He stepped off of his throne and met the courier in the middle of the room. Marcy bowed as she reached the meeting point.

"I have your package, my king," Marcy said.

"Good. Very good," the king replied with a smile. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for it. But..." He looked around the room before whispering, "you didn't show the guards, did you?"

Marcy shook her head. "No, sir. The guards didn't see it. Do you...want it now?"

"Leave it in my chambers for now. But before you do, I want to show you something." He motioned to the balcony overlooking the city. Taking Marcy by the claw, they walked over and looked at the city.

"It's...Necro City. But what about it?" Marcy asked.

"I never told you, but Necro City is the only thing under my rule. Everything we've earned, everything we've worked for, and everything we've defended, even in the...time of Igos...the kingdom was simply this city, and nothing more. I've spent two years running it, but we need to expand."

"Expand? But...everyone here is just happy with Necro City alone. Only a few know what lies beyond the stone door that separates our world from the Overworld. And even they refuse to tell what lies beyond."

"It is because they've forgotten," Highwind stated. "The only thing we've agreed on what lies beyond is The Black Marsh. But I want to go beyond that."

"Beyond the Black Marsh? Can we do that?"

“I believe so. I’ve read in books of the past of areas past the Black Marsh. A land of ponies, ruled by a goddess. A dominion of gryphons, just like us. Maybe even draconic lands and diamond dog burrows!”

“A land ruled by a goddess?” Marcy asked. “That sounds like something...but does it really exist? And even so...won’t expanding our kingdom mean interacting with them?”

“I’ll walk that path when the time comes.” The king sighed. “Thank you for listening, Marcy. I really hope to make Necro City a proper capital city.”

Marcy turned her gaze to the bedchambers. “It could happen.”

“Hopefully...” Before she could hear what else Highwind had to say, she grabbed her saddlebags, dashed into the bedchambers, and shut the door.


For this chapter, I have to give special thanks to Fordregha for helping me with the scene for the guards. And an apology for taking so long. Some crazy redneck thought it was a good idea to punch my laptop. (Spoiler alert: it wasn't) It took me three weeks to get it fixed, and longer before I could work up the motivation to write this one. So enjoy, and once again, I am sorry this wasn't out sooner.

PreviousChapters Next