• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,152 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,152

PreviousChapters Next
10: Sweet Symphony

Chapter 10: Sweet Symphony

I woke up to...actually, I don't remember what I woke up to. I yawned and tried to go back to sleep, like I usually do when I wake up. I fluffed up my pillow before trying to close my...HOLYSHITMYHANDSAREBONES!

The result was me falling off of the bed, scattering myself all over the floor and reminding me that yesterday was, in fact, not a dream. The door to my room opened, revealing a grumpy, zombified Diamond Dog. You remember Jack, right?

"Can you keep it down? You'll wake the dead." Undead jokes, how original...

"I think I woke myself up with that. Hey, since you're here..." my hand (couldn't tell which one it was) motioned to the jumbled mess that was me. Jack simply shook his head and closed the door. I sighed as I began putting myself back together.

5 Minutes of Reattaching Myself Later:

I left my room, hoping I didn't sleep in and miss my match. I quickly grabbed my stuff, gave a thanks to Jack for allowing me to stay, and bolted to the arena. I slowed down as I remembered that the stores opened at 9 a.m., and my match was at 10. Wouldn't Jack be at the forge if it was 9? Actually, now that I think on it, I was just given my clothes and weapon, and I found my shield, but what if I wanted to actually buy something? Did they use bits as currency? And if not, what WAS the currency they used? How was I going to earn it?

Focus on that whenever you need to get something from them, I reminded myself. For now, you need to get to the arena.

The trip there was actually lengthy. Not because of the distance, but because I was constantly being greeted by passerbys. Some wished me a good match, others tried to strike up a real conversation (like how I managed to freeze a ghost's wing), while a handful of jerks threatened me with "deader than death" threats if I chose to climb all the way to the top.

It was around 9:30 by the time I finally reached the arena's main gate. I know this because I greeted the ghost gryphon, named Rick, who told me my match was in 30 minutes. I didn't bother to go to my bunk, instead hanging around the gate that lead to the main area. I'd better review what I know about Dracula, I thought.

Let's see, what I've got on him so far is that he's a tall unicorn, dark gray coat with a white mane, and has a castle as his mark. ...no, I refuse to call it a "cutie mark." It's simply a mark unless they specifically refer to it as a cutie mark. Besides, there's nothing "cute" about a castle. You can try to make it cute, but it's...sickening.

Where was I? Oh, yeah. He has a love of the fireball spell, and fires off three in rapid succession. He can teleport out of harm's way, which he usually does after an attack. When the chips are down, he'll fire dark energy, which is kinda useless to most undead, isn't it? Lastly, he seems to be able to hover in the air whenever he damn well pleases, so he could stay above ground and make my life hell. Then again, this is all from the video games that I play and this guy could have nothing to do with any of them, therefore I have no clue what he'll do.

Yeah. This match was going to be beautiful.


"Welcome back, everyone, to the Great Tournament! We're down to our final 8 contestants, and they've all worked hard to make it this far! Now, without further ado, let's get on with the first match!

"Introducing first, sponsored by Jack's Weapon Emporium, christened the Skeleton Knight by his own fans, entrant 72, Daniel!"

The crowd roared as I stepped into the light. As much as I wanted to act like a fool, I figured I had a reputation to uphold now. Didn't stop me from going to the edge of the arena and giving a random skeleton pony a brohoof. As I turned, the lights suddenly dimmed. Big time.

"And his opponent, sponsored by Necro Blood Inc., the self-proclaimed Lord of Darkness (and we're not about to contradict him), entrant 63, Dracula!"

The crowd roared again. The vampire tilted his head, making a sickening CRACK! as he did so. He then glared at me with blood-red eyes. Just saying this for the record, I couldn't resist this next part, and I'm sorry.

I pulled out my shield and sword, ready to fight. "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!" I yelled.

Dracula looked confused for a moment. But he quickly regained composure and actually went with it! "It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute!"

Wait, he's quoting the line, word for word. Could this be THE badass himself?!? I have to keep going. "Tribute?!?" I used my shield hand to point an accusatory finger. "You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!"

My opponent conjured a glass of red wine with his magic (or was that blood?) and took a sip. "Perhaps the same could be said of all religions..."

I can't believe this is happening! I need to hear the story behind how HE got here! "Your words are as empty as your soul!" Now I'm just hamming it up, swiping my shield arm in front of me. "Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!"

"What is a man?!? A miserable little pile of secrets!" He threw his glass at me, which I blocked with my shield. Suddenly, he was in my face. "But enough talk," he finished our scene with a sharp jab to my chest, sending me into the wall, before shouting, "HAVE AT YOU!"


Meanwhile...

I bring a report, your majesty. We found him.

I knew my spy wasn't mistaken. Where is he?

It seems he is a contestant in the tournament. The crowd seems to love him.

But which one is he?

He goes by the name of Daniel Fortesque.

...interesting. He must be seeking an audience with me to slay me.

Is he that foolish? No one in their right mind would dare try to harm you. The finest warriors guard you with their lives.

No one in their right mind would dare to befriend a creature such as him. And yet...you did.

He is merely a means to an end. He can lead us to Keeta. From there, we can finish what you started two years ago.

Has my reign been that long already? How the time flies...

What do we do now?

Let this...Daniel Fortesque...finish the tournament. Once he reaches the finals, send a group to apprehend him.

By your word.

Oh, and one more thing.

Yes, your majesty?

Don't spare Melody, either. She sheltered him, and is therefore a sympathizer to them.

.........

Is that a problem?

N-no, sir. She will be dealt with, as well.

Good to know. Don't fail me...my faithful subject.

PreviousChapters Next