• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,145 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,145

PreviousChapters Next
37: Flowers for Daniel

Chapter 37: Flowers For Daniel

Funny enough, the library was on that second floor, and was near the window we had flown in through. Now for the difficult part: figuring out how our vampire lord sorted his books and if the information we were looking for even existed in here. Something told me it did NOT, but hey, no harm in looking, right?

I just hope my library card hasn't expired yet.

I took the left side of the room while Marcy took the right. While she had her wings to help, I had to rely on the rolling ladder to get me to the upper levels and look around. Hmm...this wasn't helpful. His sorting method was by author, not by topic. I could already tell this was going to be a painful endeavor.


"Hey, Daniel!" Marcy called out.

"Does whatever you are about to tell me have anything to do with that flower we found!?" I shot back.

"Not really, but I found some useful information on relaxation techniques!" was the reply.

"Throw it in the pile, we'll read it later!" Our 'pile' must have had OVER 9000...chapters combined. I was guessing that was our 127th book since we started looking for info on our mysterious item, and not a single damn book referred to it AT ALL. The two hours we spent in here has been, so far, fruitless.

"Geez, ANOTHER Kama Sutra book!?" I shouted incredulously. "Just how many of these things ARE there!?"

"Volume number?" Marcy called out.

"Um...oh, god, it's volume 69!" I shouted.

"Toss that one in, then! I haven't read that!"

"Marcy, you haven't read the first 68, either!" A moment passed before curiosity got the better of me and I added, "Can you even DO that anymore!?"

"I'll find out when I read them all!" Think she's a bit TOO excited to read those books?

Enough that it's distracting her from finding what we're loo- "FOUND IT!" she called. TIMING! She has it!

I slid down the ladder, stealing a glance at the bookshelf for a last minute pick-up before finding Marcy with a book: "Strange Flora: Flowers Found in The Strangest Places." She tapped her talon on the open page, which showed our mystery flower. She flipped it back to where she could read it and said aloud;

"Something Something, or the Crimson Nirnroot, is a rare flower that is found in the Black Marsh, either in the marsh itself or in caves where sunlight can gain access. Its red hue stands out in its environment, though it is uncertain why it is to bring color to an otherwise bland landscape or to lure the uneducated to itself.

"The Crimson Nirnroot, like its normal emerald-colored self, can be used to create poisons or, when brewed correctly, extend life. However, if even one thing is out of order, the patient will suffer a fate far worse than the original outcome. While some have tried to grow the flower outside of the marsh or cave, or even build a greenhouse where the Crimson Nirnroot is known to grow, these properties cannot be replicated in a domestic environment, making it the familiar green Nirnroot.”

"That’s pretty nice. But that just means it’s nothing special, doesn’t it?” I asked.

Marcy sighed. "Yeah. It wasn’t what I thought...but at least I have this for reference now! I wonder how I can convince Dracula to let me borrow this?”

“You can always ask,” I pointed out. “So anyway, we got a good bit of information about our mysterious flower." I looked over our huge pile of books. "Now, what to do with all of these...?"

"Well, you can start by putting them back where they belong," a voice answered. My head quickly shot around to find one of the unicorn maids glaring at me. "What are you two doing in Lord Dracula's library, anyway!?" she asked, her anger seeping through her words.

I pointed at the book Marcy was holding. "We were doing reeeseeeaaarch!" I said, imitating Uncle the best I could. Marcy faceclawed while the maid's expression remained unchanged.

After a moment, the maid sighed. "Next time, ask before you do your, as you put it, reeeseeeaaarch! I am NOT paid to clean up after the two of YOU."

What happened next, I could not stop. And I deserved what had happened afterwards.

"Wait, you're getting PAID!?"

My body was thrown out of the window and into the Crimson Nirnroot bed below. At least it wasn't as dangerous as I thought.


It was several hours later after I pulled myself together, climbed back up to the library, entered it (with permission), and replaced all of the books. All except 71 of them, one of which went with me, the other 70 with Marcy. You can guess what books Marcy had, but my book was far more practical. After all, I was about to enter foreign lands...oh, wait, I already have...ANYWAY! As some people say in America, "If you're gonna enter this country, you'd better speak the language!"

If only they applied that line when THEY flew to OTHER countries. Fucking tourists...

So, lying in my bed, Aldous laying beside me (not surprising, he must've smelled where I was sleeping previously), I began reading a book on speaking and writing in Equestrian. What got me, however, is the book was written in Equestrian. So how come I could understand what every word said, in spite of never seeing it before in my life? Another question for Olman.

Wisp phased through my room, his face neutral in expression. "Daniel," he greeted.

I looked up from my book. "Wisp," I responded.

"We have trouble."

"Rating?"

"Scale you're using?"

"1-10, high is bad."

"Eight."

"Weapons?"

"Possibly."

A moment. "Familiar?"

"No."

I tossed the book to the side and got up. Grabbing my weapons, I followed Wisp. Aldous was right behind me, sensing something wrong in the world. I expected him to lead me to the foyer where I believed the trouble was. Instead, we went to the third floor. Namely, Drac's private chambers.

As we entered, the dark grey unicorn nodded. "Daniel. Wisp."

"Dracula," we said in unison.

"Daniel, remember when I said Aldous was your responsibility?"

"I do. What's this have to do with him?"

"Well, according to the vermin standing in front of my mansion," he answered, motioning to the window. I looked and saw a group of huge bipedal rats. Apart from that, it was difficult to make out what exactly they were. They also brought a foul stench with them.

"...it has everything to do with him," the vampire finished.

Author's Note:

Been meaning to get this chapter out for a while now. Sorry for the wait, gang. But here it is! Chapter 37 of the story! Don't worry, next two chapters will have a healthy dosage of carnage.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt there exists 69 volumes of Kama Sutra. If anything, probably 4 or 5 exist. It was just for the sake of a stupid joke.

PreviousChapters Next