• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 7,152 Views, 716 Comments

Dark Body, Light Soul (Or the Tale of the Stalfos) - Garino



Another pawn in the Chess Game of the Gods takes the stage in the land of the dead

  • ...
30
 716
 7,152

PreviousChapters Next
30: Dead End

Chapter 30: Dead End

Well, this was, by far, the most interesting day of my life. Then again, considering my previous life, it would be a HUGE understatement. But all things considered, today wasn't so bad. I reflected on everything I've done since I came here while I reattached my bones bit by bit. Wasn't like a random Reverent Dawn paladin had a say in the matter, right? I mean, the gryphon was dead, the unicorn was dead, and the pegasus was dead from the explosion! Or, I thought he was. I couldn't quite go back up and confirm the body.

Wait, gryphon, unicorn, pegasus...that doesn't equal four. That means...

Damn it, fate! You piss on my unfound grave again!

Quickly putting myself back together and uncaring of how I looked, I was about to get up and run to the arena when a glint caught my sight. Don't ask how there was a glint, because I don't rightly know myself. I turned to it and praise Olman, it was my shield! I picked it up and held it to my chest, happy to have my line of defense back. Putting it on my left arm where it belonged, I rushed back to the arena.

---Moments later, The Arena---

I actually had to be air-lifted into the arena on account of the doors being barred. Kinda stupid, since you can fly in, dig in, or for ghosts, phase in. Actually, a good plan for something like me, who couldn't do any of those things. As I landed, Shiira flew towards me, a smile on her face.

"You did good, bonehead," she said. "Thanks to our efforts, we're ready for anything."

"So the situation is good?" I asked.

"Depends on how you define a good situation," Drac responded, walking towards us. "There are other forces topside that required Morva's attention. He's up there with Melody, trying to keep them from breaking through. Zombies found the gate, so Highwind took a team and is heading there now. We lost a good chunk of ghosts getting their leader to the castle, so we can't use them for recon anymore. How is he, if I may know?"

"Took an explosion to the face before I left." I explained everything that happened as quickly as I could without dropping important details. As I wrapped up everything, the king himself flew back in.

"Citizens of Necro City," he announced. "I am glad to announce that the gate to Tartarus has been found!" There were cheers from everyone present. "However, I am afraid that the trip is to be one-way. The Reverent Dawn, as you have seen, has found us. We cannot stay here any longer." There were a few gasps, groans, and angry shouts. "We have only delayed the destruction of the city. They are sure to send reinforcements, or worse, an entire platoon to wipe this place out. I ask you to gather the things you need and be at the gate in two hours time. And be careful: there is still two paladins still unaccounted for."

"One," I corrected. "We have the gryphon, killed by Shiira, the unicorn, killed by Jack and Marcy, and the pegasus, killed by me. We've yet to see the remaining enemy."

There were murmurs as I made my statement. Even though one still lurked in the shadows, it was still one paladin. You can look at it as overpowering him, or just setting yourself up for a massacre. Highwind must have realized the same thing, as he began speaking once more. "Very well. Flyers, keep to the skies and look for the paladin. Keep him away from our people! Diamond dogs, take to the skies with them. When we see the paladin, if he can't fly, you will drop down and start digging holes. We'll bury him alive. Everyone else, as I said, gather your things. GET TO IT!"

There was shouting as everyone dispersed. Wisp joined my little group as the king approached me for one final speech.

"Stand still, Stalfos," he ordered. In spite of everything that happened before, I stood stiff as a board. His eyes pierced into my eyeholes, as if looking for something. A moment later, he closed his eyes. I could only guess what he was thinking. He didn't keep me waiting as he opened his eyes, a certain spark to them.

"You're not of our kind," he said. "Not a skeleton, nor a normal Stalfos. Your body here is dead, but your soul still has the resonance of the living." Wisp and Shiira gave me an incredulous look as Drac simply nodded at the statement. The king didn't stop, though. "You were brought here by an outside force. One that even I cannot begin to comprehend. You came to cross swords with me and free the criminal known as Keeta." I looked down. So many conflicting ideas with one skeleton. Whose words should I trust?

"And yet..." he continued, "when we did, and were interrupted, you fled." I winced. Probably shouldn't have ran off when we got interrupted. "And when you came back, you did so and protected me. Why did you do that when you could have teamed up with the Dawn?"

"The enemy of my enemy isn't always my friend," I stated. "From what I heard, the Reverent Dawn consider all dead as abominations that need to be destroyed. If I helped them, they would simply eliminate me immediately afterwards because of my body. Or worse, destroy me before the job is done."

The king smiled. Removing his crown, he turned it until there was a dark green gem. He grabbed it and, using all of his strength, removed it from the royal headgear. He then gave it to me. "This gem will remove the barrier keeping Keeta in his prison. Whether or not you use it is up to you."

"So I guess I'm not going with you through Tartarus?" I asked.

"Someone's gotta deal with the Reverent Dawn," Shiira piped up, slapping my back with a hoof. "And you can't deal with them in hell, no matter how hard you try!"

Suddenly, Jack dug up from the ground. "Phew!" he breathed. "It's difficult to cover your tracks when digging a hole."

Highwind picked Jack up out of the ground. "Ah, perfect timing, my boy!" he exclaimed. "Our good Stalfos needs a good spy, and I say you're it!"

Sweet, I get my own spy! ...wait, what?

"Um, are you sure?" I asked. "Don't you need him for other things?"

"That's what I thought," Jack agreed. "My king, what use can I be to you if I'm with him?"

"All will be revealed in due time," the king answered. "He needs stealth more than I do, and you're the best of the best. And this IS an order, boy. You're not about to disobey your king, are you?"

I swear I could hear him sigh in contempt. "No, sire. By your command." Jack took his place beside Shiira. It almost seemed like the gang was complete.

"I guess it's time to head topside and help Morva and Melody, huh?" I asked. The group nodded their heads in agreement. Before I got to the door, the king stopped me for the last time. "ONE MOOOOORE thing," he said, not unlike a certain old antique store owner who could surely kick my bony ass across this arena.

As I turned, I was met by two sharp talons smacking my skull. I winced in pain as the king sent me off with one last sentence: "Change your name so others don't think you're imitating the great Gallowmare hero!"

Great, just what I need to be thinking of: a new name.

---Necro City Entrance---

Using our strength and magic, Jack, Drac, and I moved the boulder blocking Necro City from the upper world. I took in a deep breath of fresh air. Or...outside air, I should say. After all, the air of a swamp mixed in with the smell of decaying flesh doesn't really smell that great. I looked around, trying to focus on something. Geez, I can't see shit in this darkness, captain! Bard snarked. But soon, I caught something moving. It was Morva, leaning against a tree, breathing heavily as fake scars dropped off of his body.

Ha! I knew it! He was only PRETENDING to be dead! I thought. I ran over to the collapsed lizard, only to find he had real scars as well as fakes. And let me tell you, the real scars were close to killing him with how much blood he was losing.

"Damn...that was...way more...than I thought," Morva gasped.

"What is all of this?" I asked. There were a lot of bodies, but none I really recognized: it seemed like a lot of bugs, plants, and animals mutated and tried to enter the city.

"Seems like...someone learned...mutations," Morva wheezed. He shook his head before continuing. "Didn't...pay attention. One of them...really messed...me up bad..."

"Ugh," I groaned. "This isn't good...does anyone know first aid?" The whole group shook their head. Doing a quick head count, I quickly realized: Melody isn't here!

"Morva, where did Melody go?!?" I asked. Probably shouted it, but I didn't care at the moment.

The lizard coughed a bit before he answered. "Went into forest...said something...about a rose..." He pointed to the treeline. "That way..."

I looked at Wisp and Jack and nodded. Neither of them had to be told, they simply took off. Shiira and Drac started examining Morva's wounds. "We'll keep him alive as long as we can," Shiira said. "You go to Keeta and make your decision. We hope it's the right one."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure of it," I said. I left the three alone as I searched for the area I had woken up in. It wasn't that far from the city entrance, as I found the puddle. Seemed like those monsters came by here recently. As I approached the puddle again, the gem King Highwind gave me began to give off a soft aura. In the pond, I saw Keeta once again.

"Ah, there you are, Daniel!" Keeta said happily. "I admit, I was about to lose hope. And you have the key, too! Happy day, indeed!"

"Yeah, yeah. So, ready to be released from your prison?" I asked.

"Why, of course I am!" The Stalfos seemed to stretch as I held the gem above the water. "Finally, after five millenia stuck in this confined space, I'm gonna be free!"

I dropped the gem into the water, causing it to shatter. A bright light came from the pond, illuminating the dark sky. As the light faded, Keeta pulled himself out of the pond, laughing all the way. "Ah, it feels good to be out!" he shouted. He turned to me and continued, "And it's all because of you, Daniel! Thank..." I dodged a quick punch to my face. Angered, I returned the favor with a roundhouse kick, sending him a few feet away.

"Damn!" he shouted. "You were supposed to take that hit!"

"And if you knew anything about Keeta, you'd know that he's a helluva lot taller than YOU!" I shot back. "So who are you to steal his name?!?"

'Keeta' got up onto his knees, keeping his hands on the ground. "You're one to talk, 'Daniel.' But I guess true formalities are in order." Slowly, his body began to morph. His bones rearranged themselves into that of a pony's. Four hooves, a curved back, and a horn adorned his head. His body then began to grow essential living items: a heart, a set of lungs, stomach, intestines, all of that. His bones were covered in nerves, then in muscle, before finally becoming skin. From there, pitch black fur grew over the skin. His head and rear sprouted a sickly green mane and tail, respectively. And to top it off, his mark became a hexagonal shape with a jade skull in the middle.

His eyes opened, revealing gold eyes and an evil demeanor. "Thank nothing, faker! You have released the great Mordroc from his prison!"

Author's Note:

Am I evil?

...yes. Yes, I am.

So, finally, we are OUT OF NECRO CITY!!! Thank god, right?!?

PreviousChapters Next