• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 9,184 Views, 24 Comments

Dazzling Sunset: Sunset Amulet - Snowflake Dissonance



The three Sirens were waiting at the edge of their lives. They did not expect to see Sunset Shimmer while knocking at Death's door.

  • ...
4
 24
 9,184

New Beginning (Edited 19/12/2022)

Sunset picked at her lunch as her friends chatted around her. She hadn’t told any of them about her run-in with the sirens the night before, fearing they may not have the strong feelings on the matter that she did. Admittedly, her own feelings about the ordeal were confusing her a bit. The sirens had been brainwashing people. People were arguing and just short of coming to blows because of the sirens’ songs. The group had stopped them to save people.

That’s what Sunset kept trying to tell herself, at least. In order to save the student body and probably the world, she and her friends broke the sirens’ gems. The chain reaction of that was sacrificing three lives for everyone else’s, but they had been doing the right thing.

The problem was that Sunset didn’t think so anymore. She had been willing to fatally hurt people plenty of times before, but it didn’t seem fair that those three had to die when she didn’t. She had brainwashed people, too. She had been willing to hurt people. She had nearly killed Twilight. It just… didn’t feel fair for her to live and get a second chance when the sirens had mostly been trying to gain adoration and eat.

Fluttershy glanced at her silent friend and gently asked, “What’s wrong, Sunset?” The others turned their attention to their friend as well, realizing something was wrong.

Sunset sighed and pushed her tray away. It was probably best to get this out of the way, now that they had asked directly. “Uh, last night… I saw the sirens.” Rainbow Dash stiffened but Sunset waved down her worry. “I actually kinda just came across them. They looked… weak. And sick. When I asked them about it, Adagio told me…” Sunset dropped her face into one of her hands as she fought back tears. She couldn’t bring herself to utter the words.

Thankfully, she didn’t have to. “She told you those pendants weren’t just for letting them brainwash people, but they were also the only way they could feed on emotions, and without them, the sirens are doomed to starve to death, right?” Pinkie stated in a slightly calmer manner than usual. Her cheerful voice contrasted eerily with what she was saying, but it got the point across regardless.

The group’s jaws dropped and all eyes found Sunset, who nodded sadly. Rarity’s hands flew to her mouth in horror as Applejack removed her hat in shock. Rainbow Dash stared between Sunset and Pinkie as she tried to think of something to say in response and Fluttershy gently placed a comforting hand on Sunset’s back. None of them really knew how to move forward from that kind of information.

Once again, Pinkie came to the rescue as she chomped a cookie. “Don’t worry, Sunset. They discovered a new way to feed last night. They probably needed to rest for a while so their bodies could heal, but they’re okay now!”

Everyone breathed sighs of relief and Sunset’s head shot up. “Seriously?” she asked, hope shining in her eyes. “H-how do you know that, Pinkie?”

“I bumped into them this morning while they were taking a walk around the park,” the pinkette responded. “They wanted to be sure whatever new way of feeding they have wasn’t temporary and they weren’t going to drop dead out of nowhere.”

“That’s a relief,” Applejack muttered, pressing her hat to her chest. “I was scared we’d done even more damage.” Her friends murmured agreement as Pinkie ruffled Sunset’s hair affectionately.

Just then, the cafeteria doors opened, and the sirens strode in, glamorous as always. The students glared at them and ignored their entrance, but unlike with Sunset Shimmer, none of the trio seemed to care. They took a bit of pleasure in the animosity, which only served to aggravate the student body. The six people near the back of the room were far too relieved to care about their peers’ irritation, though.

Sunset Shimmer stood and trotted over to the three women with a massive grin. “You’re okay!” she cheered, pulling Adagio into a hug.

The lead siren’s eyes shot wide at the contact and Aria and Sonata stared in surprise. Could she do that? No one touched Adagio. They barely touched Adagio. As Sunset pulled back, Adagio felt warmth flood the areas the orange woman had made contact with, wonder coloring her expression. Only her sisters made her feel similar to that…

“I was so worried last night,” Sunset murmured, rubbing her arm nervously. “I didn’t know how to help, and I felt so bad leaving you there like that. I should have stayed-.”

“We’re glad you didn’t,” Adagio cut in smoothly as Sonata and Aria stepped forward to flank her. “We’re not very good with thank yous. The gem you gave me is exquisite, Sunset Shimmer.”

“I-it’s not,” Sunset said softly. “It’s not even the same color as your old one.”

Adagio laughed softly and purred, “Which only makes it that much more special. Thank you.”

Sunset nodded with a wide smile, a small blush creeping up her neck. “So, you’re going to be okay, then?” she asked.

“We can pick up the energy in the air now,” Aria told her as she glared at some students nearby. “So, the pendants just suck up whatever is there. Though, I don’t remember something this… sweet in the air before.”

“We’re picking up on more than just hatred and anger,” Adagio explained quietly to a puzzled Sunset Shimmer. “We have to learn to differentiate the tastes in the emotion to understand what will be healthiest for us.”

Sunset nodded in understanding and gestured to where her friends were waiting. “Since you three haven’t fully figured out the new diet, maybe you can grab some human food to keep your strength up? Would you like to join us for lunch?”

Aria and Adagio shook their heads as Sonata nodded enthusiastically. “We’ve got a few things to attend to,” Adagio stated. “We just wanted to come relieve you of your worry.” Placing a finger under the slightly shorter woman’s chin, she cooed, “We’ll see you soon, dear.” With that, the trio sauntered back out of the cafeteria, winking and waving to those they passed.

Once they stepped out of the cafeteria, Aria crossed her arms at her big sister. “Alright, so what’s the plan?”

Adagio shrugged slightly. “I’m not certain yet, to be honest.” Both of her sisters raised eyebrows at her in surprise. That was a first. “However, returning to school allows us to keep an eye on her. An odd phenomenon has occurred with our pendants and I want to find out as much as I can about it.”

“This is going to be fun!” Sonata beamed at her sisters excitedly as they all strode down the hall. “I mean, yeah, we gotta go to stupid classes and all, but we still get to watch sports and join clubs and go to prom-!”

“Prom is for juniors and seniors, dummy,” Aria grunted. “We enrolled as sophomores.”

The blunette blinked. “Well… I’m sure there will be other things to happen! We always find some way to have a good time!” She pulled the other two sirens into a quick hug. “And besides, in the meantime, we can have some fun with the humans, right, Dagi?”

Adagio chuckled as she patted Sonata’s head. Her sister’s child-like enthusiasm was always a pleasure to behold. Looking forward as she led the way, Adagio allowed her signature smirk to slide into place. “Yes, Sonata,” she responded calmly. “While we gather info, you can have all the fun you want with the humans.”

There was a squeal of happiness behind her as Sonata jumped and did a fist pump. Adagio cast a last glance to the cafeteria, her fingers rubbing idly at the violet jewel adorning her choker. Perhaps, going to this school wouldn't be as boring as she had initially thought.

Back in the cafeteria, Sunset’s blush crept over her cheeks and she fought not to think too hard about it. Adagio touched everybody that way, even back when the Sirens had riled up the cafeteria. Shaking her head to clear it, the orange woman went back to her table as the students around whispered about the sirens’ return.

“How are they?” Rarity asked once Sunset took her seat. “Are they still…?”

Sunset shook her head with a small grin. “They said they can feed again. Even better, they can feed on more emotions now, not just hatred and anger.”

“Thank goodness,” Fluttershy breathed. “I was worried.”

“I hear ya,” Applejack added, using her hat to fan herself. “I wanted to stop’em, but I didn’t sign up fer killin’ anybody.”

“Agreed,” Rarity nodded. “Especially considering they still have the potential to change.” Her eyes glinted mischievously as she added, “They seem quite fond of you, Sunset.”

“Huh?” The woman in question raised an eyebrow in confusion. “What do you mean?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged as she explained, “The second we stood up to follow you over, the purple one glared at us real hard and told us to stay where we are.”

“I didn’t see that,” Sunset murmured.

“It was while you were huggin’ the yellow one,” Applejack told her. “Speakin’ of, I didn’t know you were that close with’em.”

Sunset gave a quick shake of her head. “I’m not. I was just so relieved that we hadn’t killed them, I didn’t really think before acting.” She blushed slightly at the memory of her arms wrapping around Adagio’s waist. Sunset ignored how nice it felt and instead focused on what Rainbow Dash had said.

“I guess they have to warm up to us a little at a time. I think all of us going over to check on them would have made them really uncomfortable.” Her friends nodded and went back to their lunch.

Sunset dug into her own lunch as she thought on the interaction. She really was glad the sirens were alright. She wanted them to have the same chance to become better people that she received. Remembering back to those months before the Battle of the Bands, Sunset glanced at her arms nervously. She rubbed them gently to ebb some of the anxiety at the memories of isolation and bullying she had endured. Perhaps the sirens didn’t need the exact same chance she received…

Thankfully, the hostility of the student body didn’t appear to have that big of an impact on the sirens. With any luck, they would be able to walk on a new path to being good with less bumps than she endured. The most any of them could do for the moment was keep an eye on the trio. CHS would be more interesting with them around, that was for sure.

Author's Note:

And there's the end of the first one! Hope you enjoyed that. I'll try to have the next first chapter of the next installment posted before the end of the week. Now allow me to run from the masses coming after me for not working on my other two fics.

Comments ( 12 )

The use of the fanon term 'the Humane Five' is an immediate immersion killer.

'dual-haired' is a really awkward phrase. Makes it sound like Sunset has two sets of hair, as opposed to dual colored hair.

Other than that, looks good. I know you said this was something you wrote a while back,so you might want to scan over them again for little quarks like that. I'm not trying to be nitpicky, just pointing out a couple of nails that stuck out to me.

8231460
Thank you for the tips! Do you think I should just replace it with the band name instead? I'll give it another quick read when I get back to my laptop. Glad you were able to enjoy it nonetheless!

8231478
I would suggest referring to the group of characters by the band name, or occasionally as just Sunset's friends, to mix it up. We'll know who you're talking about and that will tidily differentiate them from the Sirens as a grouping of characters.

explained lowly

Slowly.

8688859
No, that's correct. She's explaining it in a quieter tone than usual, a 'low' tone. But thank you! I'm glad someone's got my back with the mistakes I can't catch.

8775137
Thank you!

Comment posted by fanreader999999 deleted Jun 11th, 2018

Having Sunset return the Dazzling's magic feels so right.

8231460
Maybe two-toned hair color?

9288186
Yeah, 'two-toned' would be the proper phrase to say that the hair was composed of two colors.

“Sad” ?... yeah, I can see why sad. Not imp, but I understand.

That out of the way, I really liked the story. I think this is the first time I read something about the gems being needed to keep the 3 of ‘em alive. That’s actually kinda surprising when you consider the connection between magic and gems, but whatever.

Fav, like, comment. Anything I forgot?

Login or register to comment