• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 27,023 Views, 7,129 Comments

Message in a Bottle - Starscribe



Humanity's space exploration ultimately took the form of billions of identical probes, capable of building anything (including astronauts themselves) upon arrival at their destinations. One lands in Equestria. Things go downhill from there.

  • ...
85
 7,129
 27,023

PreviousChapters Next
G5.01: Settling

They didn't ride the same train all the way to their destination. The “Crystal Empire” was apparently half a continent away, and to take too direct a route would make them too easy to follow. They hadn't exited at the end of the route Dust negotiated, but instead slipped off the train while they waited in other cities.

James couldn't help but feel paranoid and a little shy as they walked through a few other small towns, even though each one was as different from Dodge Junction as Dodge Junction had been from Stormshire. With one notable exception: most of the residents in each city they visited didn't have wings, or at least didn't seem to be using them.

Much more importantly, none of the other ponies they spoke to stopped and stared at her, claiming that she was really some dead relative returning to them after months in the grave. They spent nearly two full days in travel, and in that time not a single pony acted towards her with anything worse than indifference. Sweet, marvelous indifference.

James had joined the Pioneering Society to be an explorer, but just now she didn't feel up to doing very much exploring. She didn't keep a journal of all the different city configurations and make guesses about the underlying social foundations. She didn't even improve her language skills by trying to talk to as many of the natives as she could. Full immersion might be the fastest way to learn a language, but James wasn't up to it. She needed a rest, and she took it.

Mostly the travel was boring and isolated, exactly the way she wanted. Mail carriers were not vehicles of speed, nor were cargo trains. That meant long hours riding along with ordinary countryside blurring past the openings, spent either resting alone or nestled against Lightning Dust's wings.

She kept meaning to get out her transmitter and ask what had happened to the last generation, but in the end decided against it. She could do that once she got time away from Dust. If the pegasus decided that she wanted to destroy James's communication equipment this time, it might be a far more arduous task to get her a replacement. Delivery drones with solar coating could make journeys of nearly indefinite length with satellites to guide them, but when those journeys might also involve being detected by native creatures who could fly, then whatever was being delivered had to be worth the risk incurred by traveling there.

For the last leg of the journey, a northward passage up from a city called Vanhoover, Dust booked them a few tickets on a passenger train. Instead of restless sleep or nervous pacing on a metal floor, James relaxed into a comfortable chair clearly designed for ponies, with a raised cushion that supported her belly without putting too much pressure on it. Compared to the cold that had begun to penetrate every vehicle they rode into the north, the heated cars were an unimaginable luxury.

She felt a gentle nudge against one of her legs, light enough that she almost missed it. James sat up, blinking and rubbing the moisture from her eyes. "W-what?"

"We'll be coming through the shield any second," Dust said. "I think you'll want to see."

James had her doubts about that. The windswept wasteland of snow and ice had continued unbroken for hours. One snowy wasteland started to look much like another through the glass. She got up anyway, crossing the comfortable train car to the windows on the other side. Propping herself up on the seat, James braced herself for disappointment.

The train had nearly crested a hill, and she could feel their motion begin to slow as they neared the top. James searched, and found a towering archway set up around either side of the tracks not far ahead, glittering in the weak northern sunlight. It looked to be made of colored glass, or perhaps an enormous quartz crystal, like those in underground caves in Mexico, with geodes gigantic enough for people to climb. Impressive for such an apparently primitive society to cut without shattering, but nothing that incredible.

Certainly not worth getting up over. But then they passed through, and the air all around seemed to shimmer, what had seemed like an endless expanse of snow and ice melted away in a fraction of a second, and the train continued downward into a rounded valley.

There was no snow within, no trace of the cold. The train turned sharply to the right, riding along the rim of the valley, almost as though the route had been specifically chosen to give the best views.

It was like nothing on Earth. At the very center of the valley was a towering structure of blue-white crystal, without apparent seams or cracks, towering so high into the sky it rose above the edges of the valley itself. "H-how..." James stammered, her mouth opening and closing. "Th-that shouldn't... it's so heavy!"

A whole city of glassy-looking buildings had been built around the tower, though the rest she could see from this angle resembled those she had seen in other pony towns. They didn't seem to be built with any greater technical skill than that demonstrated by the skyscraper. The rest of the valley was taken over by fields and crops, swaying along to a gentle breeze. There were ponds, lakes, parks, orchards... everything that James imagined a self-sufficient little city might need that was otherwise surrounded by ice and snow.

"I came for the games once," Dust said from the seat beside her. She'd been looking out the window the whole time, apparently without James noticing. "I felt the same way when I saw it. The castle goes as high as the foundations of some low cloud-buildings.”

"How—" James tore her eyes from the window, turning back to Dust. "I didn't think you had... the technologies to build something like this."


Lightning Dust shrugged. "It's an ancient city, built by unicorn magic from long ago. That's as much as I know."

James looked back out the window, staring at the spire, at its sloping peak, and the smaller towers that glittered alongside the central structure. She could only imagine how impressive it would seem when standing at the base. If ponies were anything like humans—and so far, they'd often proven they were—there would be a museum she could visit somewhere in the city where she could learn more. How wealthy was this empire that they could build their monuments out of crystal?

Maybe this place was a hint at some long-lost history of pony society, lingering back to an ancient golden age. Humanity's climb to civilization had been rocky, so it stood to reason that the ponies' had been as well. "We're really gonna live here? On the ground?"

Lightning Dust nodded, whispering into her ear. "Ponies will be looking for us. Everypony who knows me knows how much I hate the ground. They'd never think to look for me here. Plus, the Crystal Empire has its own services, separate from the rest of Equestria. I'm crossing my hooves they don't pass records."

I'm a fugitive, James thought, smiling faintly to herself. Bet nobody at the Pioneering Society expected that. "Will we be... okay?" she asked, struggling for a more descriptive word but not finding it. "You worked at a... factory, before. Are there more factories here?"

"We'll be fine. We've got plenty of bits to hold us over until I find something to do. Don't worry about a thing." She reached over, messing with James's mane. "I'm used to this kind of thing by now."

James found she didn't really mind, though she pushed Dust's hooves weakly away with her own. At least Dust knew what she was doing. That made one of them.

The rest of the day passed in a blur after that. Lightning Dust found them a single tiny room in an old building on the outskirts of town. James couldn't tell if it was an apartment, or a hostel, or if those concepts even had any meaning to the ponies. They seemed to have private property and a currency and something like capitalism, but she couldn't be sure. Not even really my job. Once I figure out the language I'm done. Maybe she could ask for a few more advanced language textbooks. She'd just about finished with the basic Eoch. Maybe a dictionary too, so she could start memorizing vocabulary.

The room wasn't very large, around three meters on either side, with crude wooden furniture and a single tiny window that was too high up the wall for James to reach. There wouldn't be any room for privacy while living here. James might not get another chance to communicate with the probe for days if she didn't use it now.

She didn't bother with the armor—she wasn't going out into the snow, and she wasn't going to have another fight. Hopefully.

The new transmitter still had all three of its legs, not that it needed them. The dish wasn't damaged this time, nor were there any cracks in the casing leaking radioactive fuel.

James set up the tripod on the bare floor in the center of the room, then extracted the computation surface and paired it with the transmitter. The dish spun until it pointed at the window, flashing a green laser out into the afternoon sky a few times.

Connection Successful, the screen said. You have one new message.

I have... She shivered, tapping the screen with one hoof. What the hell? She reached out, and with a little nervous prodding she managed to tap the correct part of the screen to get the message to enlarge.

Greetings linguistics team.

My name is Major Olivia Fischer, as of this moment I am directing the colonization effort. I am led to understand you have been successful thus far, but the Forerunner probe indicates you have not been logging reports as specified by the SPS Handbook. I expect you to begin filing reports immediately, and to provide me with a summary with your progress thus far.

The Forerunner indicates you are the only surviving members of your generation. While the stupid AI might not care about our lives, I assure you my attitude will be very different. Your safety, as well as the safety of my team, is of chief interest to me. To that end, please include in your summary any information you might have regarding any possible threats to our lives present on this planet.

Also, I don't give a shit what the Forerunner says I should do if something happens to you. If you're in any danger whatsoever, I will use every available resource to recover you.

Invictus Maneo

Major Olivia Fischer


James read over the message several times, though of course there was no place in her mind for doubt. Forerunner probes could do many things, but write convincing letters were not one of them. She shouldn't have been surprised—it was foolish to assume the probe would be content doing nothing for years while she studied the language. It would still be advancing towards its goals in other ways. It doesn't have other linguistic teams, right? At least the probe gave me somebody who cares about our lives... The way the Pioneering Society Handbook sometimes talked about them, they were just resources. Organic tools sent across the void, like the probes Earth had once used to explore its own solar system. They didn't really have a purpose beyond the one they were sent on.

"Computer, I would like to use voice dictation to compose a reply."

"Dictation ready."

The screen cleared, replacing itself with a blank pad of paper and a flashing cursor. James began to speak in English, finding the words came with a little difficulty after so many weeks without using them. It was a good thing her memory for languages was so good.

"Olivia,

“I apologize for not being able to file my reports—until a few days ago, my equipment was lost and I had no way of communicating with the probe. I recently received replacements, and should be able to make regular reports back to you, and be able to exchange brief messages. I have been living for these many months completely submerged in the native society, learning the language as I struggle to survive. Upon my arrival, I was stripped of all my machinery and left to fend for myself.

“You aren't going to believe this, but the society here closely resembles one from back home. The aliens call themselves ponies, live in a country called Equestria, and speak a language called Eoch. This nation is a monarchy organized around a religiously revered princess who is ceremonially responsible for the night and day, like ancient Egypt. I would have a hard time giving you a good idea about their technological abilities... obviously they have not followed the same developmental path humans did.

“I have yet to encounter anything truly dangerous, except occasional mentions of ‘monsters.’ I fear they may see the humans of some previous generation of explorers as some of those monsters, but I don't know what happened to cause that. Something serious seems to have happened in the town nearest to the location of Forerunner Base, an alien settlement that resembles an old-west town named Dodge Junction. Do not enter it under any circumstances.

"The aliens do not have firearms, or much else in terms of military technologies, though they seem to have the understanding required to create them if given the incentive. There are few natural threats we haven't known from Earth—the area immediately surrounding the probe is prone to serious flash floods that even the Forerunner could not predict.

“I am currently living with a native who has... accepted me. Her instruction is greatly speeding my learning process—I may complete my mission in under six months at this rate.

“The Equestrian government is searching for me, though. For some reason, they're trying to collect our technology. I don't know how much they know about it, but they stole my last computer and knew what my gun was when they saw it.

“The native I am living with now protected me from them, and we have relocated to another part of the country; I don't know exactly where, but you can get my positional information off this transmission. I am not currently in any danger, but I appreciate the offer for help. I do not expect that any further intervention would be needed until I'm ready to come back.

“Regards,

“James Irwin."

End of Act 1

PreviousChapters Next