• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 27,012 Views, 7,129 Comments

Message in a Bottle - Starscribe



Humanity's space exploration ultimately took the form of billions of identical probes, capable of building anything (including astronauts themselves) upon arrival at their destinations. One lands in Equestria. Things go downhill from there.

  • ...
85
 7,129
 27,012

PreviousChapters Next
G4:05: Transitional State

“You want to what?” Mayor Capital Ledger stared at her from across his desk, eyes widening with shock.

“Exactly what it says.” Lightning Dust pushed the form a little closer to Ledger with one outstretched wing. “I’m applying to be a temporary foster parent. I know Stormshire has a pony in need.”

“That’s…” Ledger glanced down at the form, flipping it over and reading over all the information she’d scribbled there. Lightning Dust had everything in order, she’d made sure of it. “This is… most irregular, Miss Dust. I know the factory is happy to have your help on the weather team. Having you as our unofficial Wonderbolt lets everypony sleep a little safer at night. But… adopting a foal?”

“Not adopting,” Dust corrected. “Just fostering. It’s not the same thing.” And it wasn’t. Equestria’s policies of adopting orphans were quite strict. Only couples were eligible, couples who had been together for at least two years and had lots of financial resources she did not. Lightning Dust might’ve got a parasprite up her flank into pursuing this crazy plan, but she wasn’t prepared to go that far. Besides, she didn’t like any mares or stallions enough to commit to that. And by the time I did, it’d be too late anyway.

“Stormshire doesn’t have the facilities to care for a foal with her specific… needs,” Ledger said, his voice halting. “I know you want to help her, that’s a noble endeavor. But she’s… we don’t even have a school, Dust. Only a day-care.”

“That’s not a problem,” Dust said. “Updraft on the weather team has his teaching certificate, and he says he’ll homeschool her. I know there’d be a budget from the Family Services Department to pay for it.”

Ledger’s frown deepened. “We don’t have a flight school either, Miss Dust. I had to read her report before I forwarded it on to Dodge City. She can’t fly at all, not even gliding. In a city like ours…”

“I’ll teach her,” Dust snapped back, leaning across the table, glowering at him. “Come on, Mayor Ledger. Haven’t I done right by Stormshire? Haven’t I been the best damn weatherpony you ever had? Why are you fighting this?”

“There’s, uh…” He retreated a few steps, shifting uncomfortably on his hooves. “Liability concerns. Having a child her age—”

“Those are my problems,” Dust said, voice flat. “Is there anything wrong with my form? Is there any reason I can’t do it?”

“Well, uh…” He turned back, flipping the form over. “You have a single resident domicile, you’ll have to remodel and provide her with all the required accommodations.”

“Well it’s a good thing we live in the clouds then,” Dust said, sitting down on her flank, and glaring across the desk at the mayor. The longer this conversation went on, the more she was starting to smell slime. But why? “I can do that easy. Before nightfall. I’ve got the bits for some new furniture if I need it.”

“Why?” Ledger stared at her, bafflement on his face. “I understand why you’d be unhappy with her accommodations in City Hall, but that’s only temporary. A week from now and we’ll have drifted close enough for Dodge City to send her transport to the ground. She can grow up in an orphanage there, around ponies her own age. She isn’t your problem, Miss Dust.”

Dust felt her blood starting to boil. “I’m sure. Here’s my form, here’s my fee.” She dropped a large sack of bits onto the desk between them. “Everything should be in order.”

Ledger sighed a long, hard breath. “Look… I’m… Miss Dust.” He turned back to face her. “I’ll match those bits on my desk if you take that form and pretend we never had this conversation. No questions, no guilt—you just take the bits and never mention this again. If you don’t… we’re going to have a problem. Not today, not this minute… but we’re going to have a problem. Do you understand me?”

Dust’s eyes narrowed. Her wings flexed instinctively, and she could feel the charge of static building up around her wings, ready if she needed it. She wouldn’t, of course. Violence wasn’t the pony way. But she remembered her foalhood, when conversations like this had been more common, and getting hurt wasn’t as rare. “Oh, I’m sure, Mayor Ledger. How about instead you take my form, and I pretend you didn’t just try to bribe me. No charge.”

Their eyes locked, and Dust could feel the static. A deadly silence persisted for nearly a full minute before Ledger finally spoke. “Alright, Miss Dust.” He reached down into his desk, drawing out a black stamp and a pad of ink. He took the stamp in his mouth, dropping it over the center of the form. “You’re approved. Take this form and these bits to the clerk downstairs.” Each word came slowly, laced with venom. “She’ll handle everything.”

Dust rose quickly to her hooves, taking the form and her little bag of bits with her. She turned her back on the stallion, wings splayed in triumph and defiance.

“And Miss Dust,” the mayor called, as she pushed the doors of his office open again. “I won’t forget this. You have my word.”

Lightning Dust didn’t give him so much as a backward glance. She snapped the door shut with a slam, stomping off down the hall for the stairs. The mayor probably wasn’t lying or exaggerating. He might have power to make her life difficult. But she didn’t care. If she could survive her foalhood, survive climbing to the top of the ranks only to be dismissed from the Wonderbolts in disgrace despite being their best new recruit, she could survive his petty vengeance. Let the stallion rot for all she cared.

* * *

Dr. James Irwin was not having as bad a time in the basement of City Hall as might’ve been expected. A part of her realized being treated this way was completely unacceptable, and she would’ve been furious at her own government had they done the same to a child in need. But she was far too engrossed in her studies to think much about it.

The alien, the pony who had rescued her from drowning had also saved her from ignorance. Spending the time to teach individual words through painstaking trial and error had been kind of the nurses back in the hospital, but it had also been painfully slow. James’s rescuer hadn’t stayed to try and help her through individual words. She hadn’t even given her a dictionary. Instead, she’d been provided with a book specifically designed to teach children how to speak.

Though the book was old and had mildew on many of its pages, it was exactly what Dr. Irwin had hoped for. Each page was filled with illustrations, each concept was taught more than once over the course of a chapter, and there were wonderful guides to the alphabet and sentence construction placed throughout. With another few weeks and some time with the aliens to practice, James didn’t doubt that she would soon have a mastery of this alien language.

In the two days since she’d been given the book, James had learned a great many things. She’d learned the name of the language was Eoch, learned the aliens called themselves Ponies, learned they had at least three distinct subspecies that each lived in different parts of the world. She had learned the country was a monarchy, its capital was a castle high on a hill, and it had some fantastic mythology. The book had been written from the perspective of the “pegasi” mythology, which described an intricate economy of weather production and supply as though it were factual. Not just flight, which was patently true… but far more. Whole cities built on clouds, and out of clouds. Truly preposterous concepts, yet to which whole sections of the textbook had been devoted.

Working with a heavily religious species will be a little trickier. Hopefully they don’t have anything negative in their mythology about alien visitors. Even if they did, that was a problem for someone else. All James had to do was get her translation back to the computer. Do that, and maybe spend a few years teaching newly-instanced diplomats how to speak Eoch, and then she could retire. Retire to live among the aliens, or help build the colony? She wasn’t sure yet. It would depend on whether she could get more of those burgers…

The ponies set to watch over her mostly left James to her own devices, so she did her best not to be a bother in return. The ponies coming in and out of her basement changed over the few days she spent there, but not meaningfully. None of them treated her the way her rescuer had. None of them bothered to so much as learn her name. That was all right, though some part of James wished they had. She’d never have admitted that, and certainly not while she had such important work to do.

The aliens, or ponies, or whatever she wanted to call them, appeared to have neglected many fundamental aspects of her care. They didn’t give her a change of clothes, they didn’t even give her soap or a place to shower. She was lucky the building had what passed for a toilet, or else conditions would’ve been much worse. Without the XE-201 to keep her clean, Dr. Irwin was conscious of a general stench and griminess that grew during her three-day exile in the basement of some large pony building.

None of it matters. Just leave me alone long enough to memorize everything in this book, and it’ll be fine. Dr. James Irwin told herself this every few minutes. Sometimes she even believed it.

James could feel the book on her face. She wasn’t tired! It wasn’t as though she had a real bed to sleep in anyway. There was no point getting up. Eventually she slept.

* * *

“James!”

He jerked suddenly awake, sitting up in his metal chair.

The regular grid of the holodesk was pressed into the skin of his face in regular lines, like the worst job at a tattoo ever. Half a dozen different datapads scattered around him as he jerked into an upright position, tumbling onto the ground at his feet.

James looked up, staring into the stern face of the janitor. “Building closed an hour ago, James.”

“Y-yeah! Course it did.” James scurried about like a squirrel cornered by a cat, scooping all his pads, and stuffing them away into his gray satchel. “Sorry about that. Guess I dozed off again.”

The janitor, Roman, sighed. “Come with me, then. I’ll let you out.” Roman held the door a little wider, gesturing for James to follow.

They passed Roman’s cart of computer parts, past where the diagnostic interpreter was still connected to one of the other holodesks. James nearly tripped on a puck-shaped vacuuming robot as they went, eyes adjusting poorly to the gloom. None of the automatic systems were running at night, naturally. “So you’re still studying for that test, huh?” All Roman had to do was wave his card vaguely towards the doors, and they swung open for them, unlocking a clear passage to the exit. “Didn’t you already flunk it once?”

“That’s normal,” James snapped back. “The CADFAT is meant for those at the top of their fields. It’s not uncommon for people to take it every few years until they pass.”

They passed into one of the central classroom buildings, under a dome of glass and cascading curtains of water. In the dark of the early morning, the fountains had only the light of the stars coming through the windows for illumination. The building was nearly deserted, though James did spy a dark-haired woman sitting in one of the chairs along the wall, pretending to read. Why wasn’t Roman asking her to leave?

“I don’t think the Pioneering Society needs translators, James.” He kept speaking, switching seamlessly from English to Mandarin. “Everybody already speaks every language there is. What’s the point?” They stopped at the exit doors to the building, but Roman didn’t open them.

Through a single layer of glass James could hear swamp insects, the buzzing of mosquitoes and the croaking of frogs. “It wasn’t always like that, Roman.” He held up his satchel, shaking it so the datapads would rattle together. “I’ve got two dozen languages in here.”

The janitor reached to the side, flashing his card along the scanner. The doors slid open, and they were both blasted with a wave of Florida humidity. James’s glasses fogged up, turning the world into a blurred mess. “So, what? If there’s really something living up there, they won’t speak some dead language.”

“I know that.” James walked through the opening, onto the plastic walkway. It was suspended mere inches above the wetland, so close he could see the lilypads floating and the motion of fish beneath the water. “It’s not about any specific language, it’s about selecting for the talent to learn them all. They want a polyglot, and that’s what I am.”

“If you say so.” Roman’s silhouette looked washed out under the single amber light outside the library. His old features looked even grayer—closer to two centuries than one. “You give me a call when you figure out where you’ll go after you get in,” Roman said. “You know you’ve still got a life after they photocopy you, right? Said it yourself… most people who do this do it as part of their career. This isn’t ancient history—you’re not joining NASA.”

James turned away from the door, lowering his voice to a whisper. “It won’t matter what happens after that. I won’t be here.” He walked away from the library, nodding politely to the alligator watching him through the transparent repulser fence, little more than a pair of dark yellow eyes just above the surface of the water. He pressed a single button on his phone as he walked, glancing down only long enough to see that the signal had been received.

He passed several more classrooms, each one suspended over the wetlands on concrete pillars just like the library. From ground level, it was very easy to forget his university even existed, it blended so well into the natural environment. The mosquitos were a little harder to forget—he felt several of those landing on his skin, and he was only fast enough to kill a few.

Eventually, he made it back onto dry land, to the arrival platform. There were no cars parked here, but his own little delivery van rested on the ground, its four large fans silent and still. The paint was peeling along the door, and rust crept up from the bottom of the frame, but otherwise, the van looked intact. The door swung open for him as he approached, revealing what passed for his house inside.

Cold air washed over him, the delicious feeling of conditioned air giving relief to his skin. He flopped inside onto the carpeted floor. He lifted the satchel over his head, covering it even as the lift motors started to spin. The interior of the van was a mess of blankets, pillows, and dirty clothes. Only one chair remained, the others had been ripped out to make room for his propane stove, his collection of old books, and not much else.

“Welcome back, James,” said the car, through his phone. “We are parked in an illegal zone. Where would you like to go?”

“I don’t care,” he answered, reaching up above his head for his pillow. His hand found the headstock of his guitar instead. It took all his concentration not to slam the stupid thing into the wall.

“Response invalid,” said the car, its voice even and emotionless. “It’s currently 3:24 AM. Would you like to get coffee?”

“No!” he shouted. “I want to go somewhere out of traffic so I can sleep until six.”

“Searching… Destination accepted. Time to Plant City Recreation: nineteen minutes, eight seconds. Enjoy the flight.”

The floor listed under him, and several heavy books slipped off the counter above him and smacked him in the face. James didn’t care. Shoving the guitar out of the way, he crawled back through the mess until he found his mattress and curled up against the wall.

Author's Note:

A huge thanks to the pre-readers who helped proof this chapter before publication, I think I can see a measurable uptick in quality thanks to your hard work! (oh, and I'll add them to the story description in another week or so, once we see who sticks around). Thanks so much!

PreviousChapters Next