• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 27,016 Views, 7,129 Comments

Message in a Bottle - Starscribe



Humanity's space exploration ultimately took the form of billions of identical probes, capable of building anything (including astronauts themselves) upon arrival at their destinations. One lands in Equestria. Things go downhill from there.

  • ...
85
 7,129
 27,016

PreviousChapters Next
G5.05: Deadlight

Lucky Break concentrated on her music.

There had been a time, months ago now, when she had the puzzle of Eoch to distract her when she was upset. The Crystal Empire had many libraries for her to visit, many books for her to read, and she could always go out onto the streets to try out unfamiliar words.

But gradually that mystery had been solved. She could no longer rely on that puzzle to distract her when she was stressed or worried. It was a good thing she had her guitar.

When Lucky Break first received her second instrument, she had worried that she would never be able to play it. All those tiny strings, so close together—how was she supposed to use hooves on those?

The answer, of course, was that she wasn’t. The natives could do incredible things; even with half a year to learn, Lucky couldn’t approach that kind of skill with the lumpy bricks on the ends of her limbs that ponies called hooves. Fortunately for her, she had wings.

So she rested on the old kitchen chair, holding the guitar in front of her with her forelegs, and strumming with her wings. She still wasn’t sure exactly how she made it work—it seemed like the less she concentrated on her playing, the better the music sounded.

Considering all she had to think about, Lucky’s guitar covers of Beatles discography sounded great. Better when she sang along, but just now she needed more of her mind than she would have if she distracted herself with singing.

Equestria wasn’t on a planet. A large moon of a gas giant would’ve been fine—she would’ve noticed it in the sky ages ago, but that would’ve been fine. She could’ve accepted that.

There was no denying the satellite picture on her screen, sitting beside her chart of chords. The pony who had given her the information couldn’t be dismissed as a liar—that pony was her. Dr. James Irwin would do many things, but lying about something so critical to their mission was not one of them. Not a chance.

Earth could not have built a ringworld, she thought as she played. And ponies can’t even build computers, let alone something like this.

That suggested an obvious conclusion: someone had put the ponies here. Someone eons more advanced than her own culture. Lucky couldn’t imagine how such beings might think—but it wasn’t like Equestrians. These ponies were just humans with slightly different diets and less advanced technology. Much of what she’d seen and done among them would fit in historical fiction novels—apart from the month she’d spent living in the clouds.

But there was one insight her other self had lacked the information to make, one that complicated the picture: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were said to control the sun and moon. That could still be mythology, as she had always thought. Or maybe they’re just sending radio commands to remote satellites. Switching off whatever gigantic spotlights are pointed at us.

Even Lightning Dust seems convinced they really move the sun and moon. Her mom was too smart to be fooled by an easy trick. It couldn’t be as simple as the princesses pointing a hoof at the sky and saying some magic words at the right time.

Behind Lucky, the front door to the apartment rattled, then opened. There were no locks on it—ponies didn’t really seem to care about those.

Dust had her mouth full of groceries—never as many as they needed, but enough that Lucky rarely felt that hungry. They didn’t even have to eat grass that often.

Lucky made to put the guitar down, but Dust put out a hoof. “Mope mop on my macomt!” she said, her voice muffled by the bags she carried. She continued over to the kitchen area, watching as Lucky played.

The filly wasn’t self-conscious about being watched, at least not by her mom. Other ponies would cause her to choke up and stop, as though their watching robbed her wings of whatever dexterity let her play.

Still, she switched to one of the shortest songs as she sang along. Dust seemed to enjoy her playing, and she would be more willing to answer Lucky’s question if she finished a whole song before she stopped.

Golden Slumbers took just over a minute to play. Lucky felt herself relaxing into the music, forgetting about whatever had disturbed her about Equestria’s rulers.

Nothing existed but her guitar, and a song composed by a band who were all dead before she was born. For all she knew, this song might be one of the last cultural artifacts left of her former home.

The more she played, the smaller the revelations about Equestria became. None of that mattered because she had friends and ponies that loved her and she belonged. Who cared what her clone was doing—she could play her guitar forever.

Then she heard lightning Dust stomp her hooves, the pony equivalent of a clap. She realized she’d just been sitting there. How long had it been since she finished the song?

“You’re getting really good, squirt!” she said. “I’ve heard professional musicians who don’t sound half as good as you. And none of them know the songs you know.”

“It’s nothing,” she said, carefully setting the guitar on the ground beside her. Her computation surface had gone dark to conserve power, so it was no longer displaying the image of Equestria as viewed from the side.

Dust went back to the kitchen. She wasn’t a very good cook, but she’d started something in the pot. One of Lucky’s own recipes, from her time in college. Beans and potatoes could go a long way, and both were as cheap in Equestria as they’d been back on Earth.

“It’s not nothing,” Dust argued, tossing a few more peeled potatoes into the pot. “Were you training to be a singer when you were still living with your… the others like you?”

“No, it was just a hobby. I used it to pay the bills sometimes. There were lots of coffee shops and cafes that would let me play for a few hours a week. Kept my van juiced up that way…” She trailed off, finally remembering why she’d been so distressed in the first place.

“Lightning Dust, can I ask you a question?”

“You’re always asking me questions, squirt.” The mare paused as she settled the pot firmly onto the stove, then twisted the knob on the bottom. Like their old residence in Stormshire, the range used “magic” to cook food. “What is it today?”

Lucky took a deep breath. “Where is Equestria?”

“Huh?”

“Like… Equestria is a country, right?”

“Yeah?”

“Where is it?”

“The center of the world,” Dust answered, matter-of-factly. “It’s where the princesses rule. The best place to live.”

Lucky whined in frustration. “No, that’s not what I mean! What do you call…” She gestured around them, in a wide circle. “This.”

“The… Crystal Empire? Lucky, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Did you ask your teacher?”

“No!” She stomped one hoof. “I will tomorrow after class, but this is too important to wait.” She paused, collecting herself. “Okay, so Equestria is on the ground. That ground is floating in space. Like with stars, and moons and stuff. Right?”

“Well, one moon. And the stars are far away, but fine. In space.”

“What do you call the thing that land is part of?” Lucky asked. “If no ponies were here, and Equestria had never existed, what would it be called?”

Dust made her way over, sitting down on her haunches a meter or so away from Lucky. “Do you mean… Equus?”

“Yes!” Lucky had never heard that word before, but it was certainly a proper noun. “That must be the name of your place!” There was no Eoch translation for the last word she had wanted to use. “What does Equus look like?”

That seemed to confound Dust for a minute. She looked around, as though she were searching for something. Then she picked a sheet of paper up off the table, ignoring Lucky’s notes all over it, and went to work.

It didn’t take her long. Dust laid the sheet out longways on the table in front of her, drawing crude mountains along the top and bottom. She added a few lines to the sheet, marking the national borders of Equestria, which placed the country almost at the middle of the sheet. She drew oceans on either side, and wrote, “too cold!” on the top and bottom. On either side, she put arrows that read, “wasteland.”

“It looks like this,” Dust finally said, looking very proud of herself. “We live in the best part of the world, Equestria. Ponies take care of their land the best… other things don’t know how to take care of it as well, so if you go too far west or east, it gets worse and worse. Too dry, not very many animals… that kind of thing. And we’re here.” She pointed up towards the top, only a little way down from the folded section and the words “too cold!” “We’re as far north as anypony could be. Which is why we’re safe. If we lived with civilized ponies up in the sky…” She shook her head. “Where are your ponies from?”

Lucky ignored the question, staring at the map. “Does this… go on?” She pointed at the arrows leading to “wasteland.” “What happens if a pony goes that way?”

She shook her head. “Griffons, dragons, minotaurs… eventually the end of the world. I guess it’s probably another Nibiru where it’s too cold and magic doesn’t work right. But nopony’s ever gone that far and come back to say for sure.”

They don’t know they’re on a ring. Lucky let that sink in. But would we have thought it was weird if Earth was a ring like this, if we hadn’t had other planets in the solar system to look at?

“Okay. One more question. Where did Equus come from?”

Mom looked confused. “Where… where did it come from? What does that mean?”

“Like… what created Equus? Before there was a time where it didn’t exist, then it did. How did it get here?”

“I think you need to pay more attention in class, squirt.” Dust mussed Lucky’s mane again. “There’s no before time. I don’t know why… but I remember that much. Maybe you can ask your teacher about it?”

She did, the very next day. Knowing Look showed her a map, similar to the one Lightning Dust had sketched, only bigger and with all the important cities and regions of Equestria marked on it. When she pressed him for explanations of why the north and south sloped the way they did, or why they were so cold, he could only answer with an old legend about something called the Windigos and vaguely religious nonsense.

After submitting her university application, Lucky began using all her spare time to research everything she could find about the history and configuration of Equus. The Crystal Empire had some of the most ancient books in all Equestria, left over from the time before ancient King Sombra had ruled with blood and horror over one thousand years ago.

Ancient Eoch was tough, but not impossible for her. There had to be something.

* * *

When James made her way back to the deck, she wasn’t entirely surprised to find Olivia still embroiled in angry conversation with the others. James didn’t put her headset back on; she couldn’t focus on whatever they were talking about. She was so lost in thought, she almost didn't notice the shape moving towards them through the air. It didn't fly in a straight line like they did, but in a gentle up and down cycle, with different periods each time. Like someone worn out but still trying to fly.

James squinted, and found that either the implants or the natural eyes of this species gave her enormously powerful sight. Even at this distance, she could make out the outline quite clearly. It had dark wings and a dark coat, and was flying directly towards them.

James struggled to get her headset on. "Major!" James turned, counting on the headset to deliver a shout over the roar of sound on the deck. "Major Fischer, you need to see this!"

She turned at once, striding away from the others. She walked over with the same stiff, unnatural gait that all of them used with the magnetic boots, lifting hooves high and only two at a time. Otherwise the safety systems would engage, bringing the traveler to a jerking halt.

"Shit," the Major said. "It's actually flying towards us. Forerunner, prepare the main gun."

"No!" Karl shouted, lunging towards the Major, only to jerk back violently towards where she'd been standing. She paused, collecting herself, then began walking deliberately to avoid getting stuck. "How about instead of shooting them, we talk? We could park here, let them land..."

"That is completely stupid." Major Fischer scowled around at them all. "We're trying to remain hidden from Equestria, remember? If that alien saw our ship..."

The pony wasn't flying very fast. The Sojourner, on the other hand, was closing distance rapidly. So rapidly James could start to make out more details about the pony. It had a different look than they did, a different shape to its body. A male of the species, perhaps? Another minute or two, and they would be right on top of him.

"It will be this planet's version of a crazy UFO story," Karl said. "A flying metal ship with a crew of identical twins. But we'll get to learn from him."

"He's not coming from the right direction," James said, making her own careful way to join Karl and the Major near the center of the deck. "He's coming from outside. Carrying something—might be from a different country. Do we want to interfere with the local politics?"

"I couldn't care less about their politics," Olivia said, but her expression had changed. She relaxed, looking colder and more calculating. "Is there any point? You haven't learned their language this quickly, have you Dr. Irwin?"

"No," she admitted. "Only a few words. But the computer has everything I ever sent back. It could probably do real-time translation for us using the headsets."

"But we should stop," Dorothy called from the other end of the ship. "If that alien flies towards us thinking he's going to land, he'll smack into the shield over this deck and break both his wings."

Shield was a bit generous a term for the curtain of high-speed air forced to go over them by a cleverly designed airfoil, protecting them from the worst of the gale outside. But Dorothy was probably right about what it would do to a pair of fragile wings traveling at this velocity.

"Slow to a hover, Forerunner," Olivia barked. The ground under them lurched as they began to decelerate. "The rest of you want to talk so bad, you can deal with this. I need to get something from below decks."

She turned, stalking away down into the bowels of the ship, leaving them alone. They didn't have long to wait. The pony moved much slower when they weren't also blazing towards him, but despite his apparent tiredness, he was still flying quickly. Soon enough he was banking for a landing, and his hooves touched down noisily on the deck.

The wind had stopped blasting them, though there was still a stiff breeze. Not enough that the magnets had to engage, though they still would if anyone tried to jump or move too quickly. At the very least, it was quiet enough that they could get a good look at the new passenger.

He was a male all right, taller than all of them, with a dark coat and a gray mane. His wings weren't feathered as they had first looked from afar, but covered with dark skin instead. A series of jagged scars ran down one side of his body, disrupting the growth of his coat, though they also looked old, and healed over.

The pony opened his mouth to speak, revealing sharp teeth that none of them had. Maybe a tropical subspecies. He was flying up from the south. James already had a spare headset ready, and she held out the device to him, pointing to her own with exaggerated gestures.

That was all the pony needed. He didn't have anything in his hooves, didn't have metal boots on like they did. James stared in wonder as he managed to grip the slippery plastic with just one hoof, and settle it comfortably onto his head. His eyes widened as the headset settled onto his ears, and he spoke rapidly. There was a little more delay between his words and the machine-sounding voice in James's ear that was the (flawed) translation.

"How do get up here without? Bad lifting for sound almost went the other way." He pointed backward, through the entrance to the ship and towards the direction they'd come from.

"Easy there," Karl said, raising one hoof in an imitation of a human placation gesture. "Slower than that. Can we start with names? I'm Karl. This is Dorothy, and James. Who are you?"

"I’m Deadlight,” the stallion said, eyes lingering for a moment on Dorothy's open uniform. James had no frame of reference, but he suspected a typical male reaction was taking place. The newcomer wore nothing beyond the satchel he carried, so left little to their imaginations. "Sisters? Triplets? Woah. Unimportant, though." He pointed again. "What is this thing? Air service advances so quickly to be doing this. Metal how much weight can fly? Where’s the balloon?”

James winced at each botched word of the translation. Their own language would be sounding just as strange by comparison, perhaps moreso. At least the Forerunner knew what proper English was supposed to sound like. If it couldn't even do that, how butchered would Eoch sound? But she couldn't take off the headset and try to use what (little) she'd learned in a week, not with the roar of the props. She'd never be able to hear a pony voice over the din.

"It’s not as advanced as it looks," James said, approaching the pony closer than the others dared. Much of what she saw in him mimicked what she had been reading in the notes. What are you doing so far from home, pony?

"This is amazing!" the pony shouted, or at least James guessed it was a shout from the sudden increase in volume from the translated voice. "You have to show me into the into. Does having find from earlier?”

"I think you must be mistaken about our identity," Dorothy said, speaking slowly. "Do you see aircraft like ours all the time? You thought it was typical to be able to drop in as you did?"

"Yeah," James spoke before he did. There was no way to use a private channel, though of course that technology would be simple. But they hadn't been designed for that. Deadlight would hear every word she spoke. "Equestria has flying cities. They have airships too... balloons, zeppelins..."

"Equestria and I terminally avoid co-location," said the bat-winged pony. "Everything is everything where ponies live. Interesting things get lost. But further away… further away we find everything. Everything we forgot."

Behind James, the door to the lower decks slid open. She ignored it, focusing on the speaker.

Deadlight was grinning at them. “I hope strange sisters don’t mind another back to Equestria. Long flight from the south… longer than you know! Having something to ride is to be having what needed from the rest. I have bits—”

Deadlight began to twitch and spasm, and a faint clicking sound passed up through James's hooves. The pony in front of her fell, smashing his face against the observation deck, his whole body convulsing out of control.

Major Fischer stood rigid, still aiming her stun-pistol at the pony's chest. She lowered her leg, nodding towards the still-twitching pony. "Get him below decks," she ordered. "Forerunner, prepare to resume course. I no longer care about efficiency—I want to be up where the air is too thin to breathe."

The floor jolted under their hooves, and they immediately began to rise again. James hurried over to the unconscious pony, helping Karl to roll him towards the door with as little damage as possible. "I'm not sure if you were listening, but this pony was—"

"I heard every word." Major Fischer marched right back towards the doorway. "Get him below decks. We can keep interrogating him there, where he can't fly off."

Author's Note:

Sorry if this chapter is a little shorter than lately. I ended up cutting out several scenes from this and the following chapter that took the focus away from the narrative I wanted to tell. I've caught up after that, so lengths should return to normal.

PreviousChapters Next