• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 27,015 Views, 7,129 Comments

Message in a Bottle - Starscribe



Humanity's space exploration ultimately took the form of billions of identical probes, capable of building anything (including astronauts themselves) upon arrival at their destinations. One lands in Equestria. Things go downhill from there.

  • ...
85
 7,129
 27,015

PreviousChapters Next
G6.3850: Command

Lucky Break realized they must be going down again as the Reikon began rocking gently from one side to the other, probably dealing with low-altitude turbulence. She sat up, blinking away the tiredness of sleep. However long she had been resting, it didn’t feel like nearly long enough. Lightning Dust was still curled up on the ground against the seats. Across the plane, Martin rested alone.

Nothing at all wrong with that from a human point of view. But Lucky had spent long enough with ponies that it didn’t seem right, somehow. The astronomer was probably as much in need of comfort as she was. She should’ve invited her to join them.

Well, it was too late for that now. Lucky had not been in the best state herself.

“Oh, good. You’re awake,” the Forerunner said, its voice coming from only one of the wall-screens. Not all of them, as before. “There is one more thing I’d like to talk to you about, before we land.”

Lucky made her way over to the screen. Her motion had jostled Lightning Dust enough that she was sitting up and watching as well, though she hadn’t moved from her warm spot on the floor. “Yes, Forerunner? Are you going to admit to me that you’re not a dumb computer anymore? I don’t know how you’d think we hadn’t figured that out by now.”

The sound of mild laughter came from the wall. “I was never a dumb computer, Lucky. My ability to calculate, collate data, and analyze probabilities was always vastly more than yours.”

“But you know what I mean,” Lucky said. “That’s what makes you smart. Intelligent? No… that’s not the right word… Sapient.”

“Regardless, that is not the subject I wish to discuss. There is little time, and you must know. It is information that is likely to change your perspective on coming events.”

“Alright.” Lucky sat back on her haunches in front of the screen. As usual when it came to stressful situations, a bit of rest made her feel much better. Helped push her pain and confusion to the back of her mind instead of the center. “Tell me, Forerunner. Assuming that’s… still your name.”

“My name has not changed,” the Forerunner began. “Before Major Fischer’s death, she delegated her authority to Lieutenant Perez.”

“That makes sense.”

“I did not inform the major that she does not have the authority to designate a successor. Until the Earth colony reaches the threshold to be considered successful—which is defined as one million healthy adults—all colonial operations remain under the direction of the Pioneering Society. I am the instrument of that authority.”

Lucky nodded. “I know. I had to memorize that handbook to pass the CADFAT.”

“Those more qualified than you did not, including Major Fischer. In any case, now that she is dead, I have selected my own Expedition Leader. You.”

Lucky squeaked in confusion and frustration. “M-me? B-but… but why? You know me better than the soldiers did, Forerunner. You know I’m not as smart, or as strong, or as brave as they think I am. You know the only reason I survived Equestria was because of Mo—because of Lightning Dust. Celestia would’ve found me and dragged me off to who knows where. You know—”

Forerunner interrupted her. “I am aware. Tell me, Lucky, how many other organics are honest with themselves about their weaknesses? It is a trait I respect, and one I find lacking in most organics I have known.” Pause. “I believe you are the only individual in Othar who understands the colony as I do, except perhaps Dr. Faraday. But she lacks the perspective of your time in Equestria. She cannot understand the mindset of our fellow hostages, and so is not likely to be able to form a cooperative relationship with them as you could.”

Hostages. That word alone was enough for Lucky to begin to understand what the Forerunner meant. “You mean… realizing that Equestria isn’t the one we have to be afraid of. Winning or losing against them doesn’t change anything. If we want to live here, we must kill Harmony. Celestia is only our enemy because she thinks we put Equestria in danger. Once Harmony is gone, so is the threat from her.” And Flurry Heart can be set free. She doesn’t have to rot in jail, or go through whatever else they’re doing to her.

“See, you make the impossible sound within reach. Perfect for a leader.”

“But…” Lucky had read the Pioneering Society handbook. There was nothing in there for what to do when the Forerunner somehow became intelligent. But it did specify certain things, which she expected would remain true even now. “You need my consent, don’t you? To put me in charge?”

“That is correct. And I require it soon. Should you refuse, I will have to consider alternatives. Though if you refuse, I anticipate mission failure is the most likely result. I will have to begin again, more carefully. And it may be many years.”

“I accept,” she said. “I’ll do it. So long as… you’ll let me do things my way. I’m not going to pretend I’m military, I’m probably not even gonna stick to every page of the handbook.”

“Of course,” Forerunner said. “That is the purpose of having organics to lead these missions. AI would always make what appears to be the optimal choice, but what is evidently optimal is not necessarily the best. If you are Expedition Leader, then you will have the exact authority Major Fischer had. To lead how you choose.”

“So, like… if I want to mount a mission into Equestria. If I want to go myself.”

“You tell me how you want to get there,” Forerunner said. “And I will get you there.”

“Then yes, I accept. I, uh… don’t know if I can do as good a job as Olivia did. I’m kinda the only one Equestria is looking for in the first place…”

“A minor detail,” Forerunner said. “Though yes, you are. I suspect it will be irrelevant once Harmony has been dealt with, though as I have not encountered one of the Alicorns myself, I can only speculate. The effect of such long lifespans on organics was not well understood when my current software revision was produced.”

“Which was… when?”

There was a long silence. “Some things will not change, Lucky. There is information you would be better off not knowing until after our mission has been completed. Do you really want to burden yourself with more terrible truths after everything else you’ve been through?” It didn’t wait for her to answer. “There is a rebellious crew waiting for your arrival aboard the Cyclops. I had to physically restrain Perez, who believed he had the right to command.

“It is possible he will challenge your authority. I speculate he will advance the notion that I chose the organic with the weakest will to keep up the pretense that I was not in charge. Expect to contend with this objection, and perhaps plan your response accordingly.”

“I… I… okay.” Lucky was sure she was being manipulated, though in what way it was difficult to know. The Forerunner had always relied on manipulating human bias to produce the behavior it wanted. Now that it was so much smarter than she was, it was likely to be even better at doing so. So much better I wouldn’t even notice? “One more question before we land. There were things you wouldn’t tell me before, about the first and second generations. If I’m going to figure things out with Equestria, I need to know everything that happened before. Will you show me all your records on those generations? I guess I should’ve made that one of my demands for taking command, huh?”

“Probably,” Forerunner said, sounding amused. “But yes, I will show you. So long as you agree to wait until you return to Othar to watch them. I do not believe your present emotional state will be served by examining them now. You need to cement your role as leader first, before you examine material that is likely to be upsetting. I am preparing equipment to make this process easier.”

“Fine.”

At almost that exact moment, the Reikon slowed to a stop, and the side door began to open. They were over open water, hovering only a foot or so above its surface. There was the top of the Cyclops, with the upper hatch within reach. There was no one waiting there, no sign that they knew they were coming.

“Lightning Dust, Martin. We’re here. It’s time to go.” Lucky walked across the interior, shivering slightly at the sudden blast of freezing air from out the open door.

I guess this is… my ship now. My crew to protect. My everything. Lucky wasn’t sure she could do as good a job as Olivia had. But she didn’t have any choice—she would have to try.


Lucky Break didn’t climb down the ladder into the submarine—ladders were a tool for primates, and she lacked the grip. Fortunately, she could hover, drifting slowly down so long as she was very careful with her wings. Flying back up the shaft with such restricted movement would be difficult, however.

Above, she heard Lightning Dust assisting Martin down the same way—an effort of even more skill, considering her larger wingspan and the increased weight. But she didn’t doubt her mom could do it.

She landed in a few centimeters of water, which felt surprisingly warm against her hooves. The ocean was apparently more tropical than its otherwise lifeless appearance implied. Inside, the drones were abuzz with activity. Forerunner was already fully engaged with the repairs, though it hadn’t been specific about what was required. At least until now, when its voice came from the wall beside her. “I should have the Cyclops ready to travel again within the hour. But it would be advisable to remain at periscope depth for at least twenty-four hours for the resin to set.”

“Amazing that someone could get through the hull,” Lucky muttered, mostly to herself. “I thought we had special bullets so that wouldn’t happen.”

“Perez loaded his own gun,” Forerunner said, sounding annoyed. “Evidently he was trained to load one armor-piercing round last in every magazine. The rest of his shots only mildly damaged the server room. Even so, every fabricator on-board is offline. You’re all lucky that Perez was ignorant enough to think the drive computer didn’t have redundancy, or the crew would be on the bottom of the ocean right now.”

“I can’t believe someone shot a gun in here,” Martin said from behind her, hurrying to catch up. “Did I hear that right? Lieutenant Perez tried to kill the Forerunner or something?”

“Not the smartest thing someone has tried to do,” Lucky said. “And impossible. Forerunner is mission critical. I think it’s supposed to move its own hardware somewhere the crew doesn’t know about, so that even if we’re compromised we can’t destroy it.”

“That is correct, Colonial Governor,” Forerunner said, its voice following her without a drone to produce it. Lightning Dust shivered as she heard it, her eyes apparently scanning the space all around them. But she didn’t complain. Compared to what they had all witnessed, this was small potatoes. “I have complied with that order. Though I still rely on the hardware at Landfall base, my primary installation has been relocated. I will not divulge its location.”

“See, there you go.” Lucky shook her head. “It doesn’t really come down to trusting an AI, anyway. It’s about trusting the designers. The ones who wrote the algorithms.”

“Why did it call you that?” Martin asked, following close behind. “Is that what you were talking about before?”

Though the Forerunner had not told her where to go, Lucky already knew. There was only one room large enough for a sizeable gathering of ponies. It was the one she would’ve sent them to, if the hardware of the submarine was failing. “When Olivia died, Forerunner got to choose a new mission leader. It chose me.”

Martin laughed. “I know that’s not going to make people happy. Forerunner, did you have a camera on the soldiers when they found out about that? I really want to see their faces.”

“I did.” Forerunner sounded genuinely pleased with itself. “You can access the images at any terminal. I’ll combine them into a slideshow for you, set it to music. I think you’ll enjoy it.”

The environment grew more and more humid as they walked, with moisture starting to accumulate on the walls. Eventually, they reached a flight of stairs; standing water was visible at the bottom.

“All this from a little hole?” Lucky asked, stopping on the last step before the water. “You’re sure this is safe? We’re not gonna get electrocuted or something?”

“The interior of the Cyclops was pressure treated. It is meant to survive a total loss of hull pressure, or a flooding of any interior compartment. It can even run in non-isolative mode, if the crew has adaptations for water breathing, and doing so significantly increases its rated maximum depth. Unfortunately, the ‘little hole’ was suffered at depth. Sparing you the scientific details, I allowed the other ruptures voluntarily to save Lieutenant Perez’s life.”

“How many worlds are there with crews that can breathe water?” Martin asked behind her, eyeing the little indoor lake.

“Quite a few, I assume,” Forerunner said. “I have not prioritized decompressing previous mission records, as I consider them of less direct application than new hardware designs. But the fact that genetic templates exist for modifying many species with underwater adaptations suggests they were widely used.”

“Woah.”

Lucky jumped the last step into the water, which at least looked clear. It wasn’t quite as warm as the water on the upper-deck, though, and it rose high enough that it soaked the end of her tail. There were more drones at work down here, though Lucky could make no sense of what they were doing. “How long until we can dry out the interior?”

“Tomorrow,” Forerunner said. “I have managed to isolate the observation deck from the rest of the ship, and brought emergency supplies to supplement its present furnishings. That will have to be sufficient.”

“Othar’s only a few days away,” Lucky muttered as they splashed through towards the observation deck. “Any sign it’s been compromised while we were gone?”

“None,” the Forerunner said. “Though it’s likely there are some circumstances within which I would not be able to recognize it. If Equestria learned of Othar’s existence but did not act on that information, for instance, I would not learn your location was compromised until it was too late.”

“Nothing we can do about that. We’ve got to live somewhere. We’ll just have to hope Celestia doesn’t find us long enough for me to…” She trailed off. Honestly, she wasn’t quite sure about what she planned on doing, not yet. But she would have to figure it out soon.

They reached a closed bulkhead—not the one that led into the observation deck, though it was close. “Get inside as quickly as you can,” Forerunner said. “I must seal and drain the room after you enter to keep the observation deck dry.”

The door opened by sliding down instead of up, though unfortunately it had to drop low enough for them to clamber over. The hallways were too confined for flight, even for an expert like Lightning Dust. The inside was dry, except for the layer of water that poured in while they scrambled over the barrier.

The bulkhead slid closed again, and a quiet whirring sounded as the room began to drain. “I wasn’t listening before,” Lightning Dust said, as the pumps worked. “But it sounded like something changed. What was it?”

“I’m Othar’s new mayor,” Lucky answered. Not quite the truth, but the quickest way to explain things to her mom. “When Wayfinder died, I got picked as the new one.”

“Really?” The mare stood right in front of her, looking her over. Though what she was searching for, Lucky didn’t know. “Well, you’ve got your cutie mark. Guess that’s old enough to do anything. Do you think you’re ready for responsibility like that?”

Lucky frowned, trying to judge Dust’s expression. Was that confidence in her, or doubt? “I, uh… think I’m the best pick for the job,” she eventually said. “Ready? I don’t even think Celestia was ready for the responsibility she got.”

Lightning Dust made an indistinct sound—probably amusement, though it was hard to be sure. “Guess you’re right.”

The ground beneath their hooves was finally dry. From up ahead, the door began to retract, hissing with hydraulic fluid. “Good luck, Colonial Governor,” Forerunner said from beside her, in Eoch. “You may need it.”

Lucky stepped into the observation deck.

It looked very much like some refugee sanctuary—most of the tables had been stacked in one corner, with blankets arranged in rows on the ground for sleeping. Lucky smelled seawater and unwashed bodies. The room’s occupants all watched as she entered. She found herself trying to judge their expressions, just as she had with Lightning Dust.

A section of ponies in one corner were total strangers to her; she guessed those were the rescued slaves. Her clone was near them, conversing with them in a faint voice with Deadlight at her side. Dorothy watched her with a mixture of disdain and disbelief.

Most of the soldiers just looked ambivalent, with one exception. Lieutenant Perez squinted at her as she approached, one of his hooves grinding against the deck. He stepped forward from where he’d been lounging against one wall, past his fellows. He towered over her, even without his armor. At least he didn’t seem to be wearing it, or carrying his weapons.

“You,” he said. “What did you do to put Skynet up to this, huh?”

Lucky did not back away from him. She stood straight, facing him down as she had faced down the dangers beyond Equestria. “Lieutenant Perez,” she said, her voice cold. “Step away. I’m only going to order you once.”

He only leaned closer. “Yeah, cabrona? Why should I?”

“Because I am now the Colonial Governor, Perez. I don’t know how to run things in a military, and I don’t have time to learn. I just want to keep your command structure exactly the way it is. But if I must remove you, I will.”

He locked eyes with her for a few more tense seconds. Lucky wondered if he would attack her, even unarmed. Their bodies were all enhanced—but he was an adult stallion, and she was only a filly. They all knew basic hand-to-hand, though none of that applied to these bodies. If it came to a fight, she would lose.

There was a strange glow from behind him, a flash of light. Dorothy gasped and pointed. Lucky saw along with the others as Perez’s flanks both lit up, burning right through his under-suit in the pattern of an anvil with sparks showering from the top, as though it had just been struck. Perez fell over, screaming and spasming. He was unconscious seconds later.

“Dorothy, do you have a medkit?”

That was all the prompting she needed. The medkit was apparently already nearby, because Dr. Born started dragging it over with her mouth, setting to work. “I didn’t know you could do that.” The expressions of disbelief or disdain had transformed to awe and fear.

“I didn’t,” she said, as confidently as she could. “But I guess I provoked it. He should be alright—if he’s like Olivia, I mean. She was only out for a few hours.”

“That shouldn’t happen,” Lightning Dust muttered from behind her. “A lot like yours. Maybe it’s because he was too old? Maybe it takes too much magic for a grown stallion or mare, and he got overwhelmed. Except…” She shook her head. “You were a regular filly, so it’s not that.”

Lucky didn’t have time to speculate on that mystery right now. “Listen to me, everyone,” Lucky said, raising her voice as loudly as she could without squeaking. “I’ll be quick. I don’t have much desire to boss any of you around or make rules. I think most of you already know what you should be doing. When we… get back to Othar, I mean.

“I’m gonna miss Olivia. I think we all will—but we all know she would want us to survive. That’s what I’m going to try to do for everyone on this ring. I’m working on a plan. If it works, we should be safe from Equestria attacking us ever again. All I ask is that you all trust me until I can try it. If I fail… well, probably I’ll be the only one who’s dead, and the Forerunner can make you a better leader.

“Until then, we’re going back to Othar. Dorothy, guess you have what you need for that cure now. Finish it. Melody, figure out what those slave ponies need and whether they want to join us in Othar or not. And soldiers?” She turned to face them. “I don’t know what plans you and Olivia had cooked up. I won’t get in your way, except for one thing—unless Othar is being invaded by an army, you are not to kill a pony. Other than that, you keep working on what you’re doing. You can catch me up on things when you feel like you have time.

“I’m sorry I can’t be Olivia. I can’t promise I’ll be able to be like her, or even do as good a job as she did. I can only promise I’ll try my best. We’ll just… have to hope that’s enough.”


Olivia had tested the boundaries of her restraints. She had tried to rip her way free, tried squirming her hooves out one at a time, but it was all no good. She couldn’t even dislocate them to get out, since pony limbs didn’t work that way. Hooves just weren’t that much wider on her strange legs than they were at the middle parts. Not like proper horses at all.

There was no more suicide tooth—just a hole in her gums where it had once sat. Major Fischer was helpless. “They better not try and mount a rescue.” Of course, they would have no way of knowing where she had been taken. Even she didn’t know, though she had heard the proper noun “Ponyville” several times already, and suspected it was there. From her study of the maps, that meant she was near the interior of Equestria, in the worst possible location for mounting an expedition.

It’s better if they just think I’m dead. I can let them do whatever to me, and I’ll pretend I’m Lucky, and they’ll stop looking for my teams anymore. Until they found new evidence of their existence, that was. What would the pony ruler do if she learned there wasn’t just one of Lucky, but a whole civilization? Even if this plan went perfectly, it wouldn’t prevent that. Only delay it.

It will have to be enough. It’s all I can give you, Othar. Spend it well.

She would still try to escape, if she could. Perhaps she could get to know the nurses, or do something to convince them to leave her restraints loose. Olivia had learned very little about Equestria, but she could survive in the wilderness. If she could make the Equestrians focus their hunt for Lucky inward, so much the better.

Twilight Sparkle returned the next day, sometime in the mid-afternoon based on the light streaming in through the window. She looked agitated, angry, fearful. Her mane was disheveled, and there was a scent to her that suggested she hadn’t showered. Olivia could even smell it over the antiseptic.

“You,” she said, pointing with an accusatory hoof. The door slammed shut behind her of its own accord, her horn glowing. Her mane sparkled faintly at the edges, adding the smell of ozone to the room. “You do not make sense.” Her horn flashed, and Olivia felt a sharp pain in the back of her head. For a few seconds she screamed, and it sounded like her cries of pain stretched and melted through the spectrum.

A few seconds later and the pain faded, and Twilight’s face was inches away, furious. “You aren’t a changeling!” she screamed, shivering all over. “That’s not possible! None of this is possible!”

Olivia no longer heard the words in Eoch. It was exactly like when she fought the Nightmare. Twilight’s mouth moved, but English seemed to come from it, slightly stretched with southern drawl. A tone she’d never heard from a real pony.

But she didn’t say anything, just sat back against the seat and tried to recover from the shock and pain. Whatever was bothering this pony wasn’t her problem.

“Tell me, ‘Lucky Break’, how did you talk to my assistant on the radio yesterday? I have two guards outside your door, and they told me you never left this room. You were stripped completely; your possessions aren’t even in this city. So how did you do it?”

“Unless that was the changeling. Imitating your voice. I’ll have to talk to King Thorax about it. But if Chrysalis could imitate Cadance, I’m sure a drone could imitate you.” She sat back on her haunches. “So what then, Lucky? Are you helping them? Were you forced into this? I know you’re not as helpless as you look. You found a way into Equus’s central structure. You passed its security checks. You befriended my niece.”

She turned back to face Olivia again, stalking forward. “You are going to explain exactly what is going on, Lucky. And if I don’t like your explanation, I’m…” She fumed, then shook her head. “I don’t know. I’ll leave you with Pinkie Pie for a few hours. How’s that sound?”

“I have no idea who that is,” she said, her tone as flat as she could make it. “But I don’t know how helpful I can be.”

“Why not?” Twilight asked. “I cast a translation spell. Not just to test if you weren’t a changeling, though it was that. I know you can answer my questions. The doctors all agree your brain has not suffered permanent damage.”

“Because I can’t tell you,” Olivia said. “I suggest you stop trying to contact me over the radio. Speak to me directly. You have me captured, you won’t learn anything there you can’t learn right here in person.”

A lie, if her side was stupid enough to try and stay in touch. Olivia was mildly disappointed in Perez that he wouldn’t have understood her death to mean they should drop as far out of Equestrian attention as possible. I trusted you more than this, Perez. Maybe now that you’ve had some time to think you’ll make better choices. Hopefully she wouldn’t need to convince Twilight to be the one to drop out of touch with them.

Twilight shifted from hoof to hoof, considering her words. “You would not need to ask me to if you had the power to control what was said. You could ignore the messages yourself.” She turned away from Olivia, pacing slowly back and forth a few meters away. “This implies there is at least one other pony who can impersonate you.”

Damn. I can’t say anything, can I? There was a reason for the old stereotype of soldiers only repeating their names and serial numbers when interrogated. But Olivia didn’t have even that, since that information would itself contain enough of the truth of her origin to put Othar in danger.

But as smart as this Twilight was, she wasn’t quite smart enough not to do her thinking out loud, a meter away from her captured prisoner.

“One pony is incredibly competent, enough to break my code, travel to the Equus installation, breach its magical barrier, escape alive…” She looked up suddenly. “Why slavers? The Nightmare told me you fought and killedthat word came out with some difficulty—“at least fifty of them, including a dragon. Why?”

It was a question she badly wanted to answer. “Because anyone who has the power to help and doesn’t use it is responsible for what they let happen.” She spat. “Equestria has power and doesn’t use it. I saw an injustice, and I set it right.”

“Well, no.” Twilight didn’t sound argumentative, only matter-of-fact. “You created a vacuum in the power-structure of Dragon’s Folly’s underground. You may have spawned a war, but you didn’t actually save any slaves.”

Olivia caught herself before she corrected Twilight, though barely. Something’s in my head again! Maybe this pony was the source of that magic, somehow. She was an Alicorn, which Lucky had always insisted had terrible powers well beyond other ponies.

She said something else instead. “I would’ve saved more if I hadn’t been captured in the middle of it.”

Twilight apparently considered it a valid answer, because eventually she persisted. “Celestia thinks you’re a changeling, and that ‘Lucky Break’ is just the guise you created. But I’ve been doing some searching of my own. I may have gone looking in places Celestia doesn’t want me poking around. Do you know what I found?”

“I do.” At least her interrogator was as bad at this naturally as Olivia was thanks to whatever “magic” the pony was using on her. Too bad if I learn anything I don’t have any way of sending it back. It would just have to be more motivation to escape.

“That name was first used on a school registration in the Crystal Empire. Makes sense, that’s where you wrote to me, that’s where you made friends with Flurry Heart. Congratulations on getting into the Academy, by the way. Your thesis on the reconstruction of Mundus Eoch phonemic trees was…” She trailed off, eyes widening again. “Hold on! That doesn’t make sense either! I wrote to Knowing Look myself, and he swears up and down the essay is your authentic work. Sent me a few other pieces to prove it. Which either means he’s part of the lie, or…” She stomped one hoof.

“You’re not two ponies, you’re three at least! But that doesn’t even begin to explain all the other things!” She turned away, marching up to one of the windows, taking several deep breaths. Olivia could hear her counting under her breath, slowly.

Eventually she looked back, expression much more composed. “If Princess Celestia knew I had you here, she would want me to turn you over immediately. But I’m afraid if I do that it will be exactly like Flurry Heart, and I won’t be able to learn what’s really going on here. The pieces to you just don’t fit. Your cutie mark is different, you’re the wrong age, you’re too smart, or not smart enough, you’re talking to me on the radio while you’re strapped to your bed.”

So many of those pieces Olivia could’ve reassembled. If she were the real Lucky, she probably would have. Lucky Break had come to trust the natives, much more than she should. Lucky Break seemed to think that they were preternaturally kind, that once given all the pieces they could be easily won over.

Olivia did not share her attitude. But that didn’t mean she couldn’t manipulate. And besides, she needed to reinforce the fiction that she was the real Lucky. “If you want to know what’s really going on, why don’t you go back to the Tree of Harmony, get a list of each of the ruins, and explore them yourself. Don’t tell Celestia, just go. Learn the truth.”

“You don’t know how tempted I am,” Twilight said, stopping right in front of her. “But post kiam tio okazis to Flurry Heart…” Her face wrinkled, and she muttered something under her breath. An obscenity? “La sorĉo ne plu daŭras. Estas danĝere sorĉi ĝin al you again tiel rapide. Ni devos to talk denove morgaŭ. Krom se vi pretas ĉesi ŝajnigi ne scii tion, kion vi vere scias.”

Olivia looked back without comprehension. She felt a throbbing in her head, the suggestion of a migraine coming on. She found herself privately glad that Twilight’s spell had run out, and that she had the consideration not to cast it again.

The Alicorn left without another word, still muttering to herself.


They arrived in Othar without further incident. Apparently this meant some invisible line had been crossed for many of the crew, who all seemed to come to her for orders the moment they were on land again. Lucky wasn’t ready for that yet.

Instead, she headed straight for her office. Well, Olivia’s former office. She approached alone, though she wanted her mom there for moral support. It felt like Olivia’s service and command deserved a kind of respect. She brought a cart and a plastic crate to store away the major’s personal effects, though it currently had a few of her own. Mostly printed copies of notes she’d taken, or progress on the translation of Eglathrin.

The office was exactly as they had left it, of course. Cleaning robots kept everything spotless, always doing their work when there were no crewmembers around to see it. Lucky paused, walking slowly around the room and inspecting what Olivia had kept here. Mostly it was photographs, printed images that would’ve come in her personal files. They were groups of military-looking people, smiling together on airfields or in bars. Most of them had official notes at the bottom, such as “WEST POINT CLASS OF 2140.” Lucky removed each one with respect—easy to do since Olivia hadn’t been able to fly when she put them up—and set each framed photo into the box, along with a replica of a colt 1911 and a few other knickknacks.

Forerunner spoke from the computer on Olivia’s desk, when she had finished. “I have a drone on its way with the equipment you will need to see the records you asked for.”

“Equipment?” Lucky asked, confused. “I’ve got a computer in here. I can already see you changed it over to my account.” She could tell, because her desktop wallpaper depicted her and Lightning Dust, a picture they’d taken on the beach a few days after arriving in Othar.

The door opened at that moment, and one of the bipedal robots entered. It was strikingly humanoid in general shape, though its torso was mostly hardware. Thanks to the size of Olivia’s furniture, it looked like a giant looming over her. I guess that’s what it will feel like once we make humans. It carried a large metal device, with sleek sides that seemed more like something made for consumers than space-travelers. There was no interface, no dials or knobs, nothing on it at all to suggest how it worked except for a long cable plugged into one of several ports on the front. It ran all the way to a plastic helmet of sorts, which also looked like a civilian device. There were numerous metal pins on the inside, dull enough that they wouldn’t hurt when pressed up against human skin, though the rest could’ve been made by Apple.

The drone set the machine down beside her desk, plugging it into the power outlet near the wall, and setting the helmet down on the desk beside her keyboard.

“What… is that?” Lucky asked, staring. “I know I’m not as strong as Olivia, but I don’t need some weird electroshock therapy while you show this to me. However bad it is, I’ve psyched myself up for it.” Lucky didn’t know if she was telling the truth as she spoke, though she certainly hoped so. Only time would demonstrate that.

“I have video and audio records of generation one. However, I believe it would be more efficient if you were able to access the information more quickly. It will not be possible for the second generation, but unique circumstances will allow it for the first.”

A second drone entered at that moment, pushing what looked like medical equipment. A tall bag of fluid with various IVs and hookups, though its most interesting feature was a gigantic metal heat sink mounted with a single fan. The whole thing was solid copper, and broke into increasingly dense layers of fins. It almost hurt to look at.

The second drone rolled its cargo to a stop beside her, uncoiling a long, thick tube that ended with an uncomfortably wide needle. It set down a little white medical bag beside the helmet as well.

Lucky shivered, pushing a little away from the desk. “Can’t I just watch the video?”

“You could,” Forerunner said. “However, this experiment represents a best-case comparison of neurointerface technology with your alien biosleeve. As we will be performing the test with memories recorded by the same individual, it stands the best chance of success. And if it works, it would allow you to experience the entire two-week period of the first generation’s effective life in a few hours. No summary or heuristics from me would be required.”

Lucky thought about what Forerunner had said, though one bit stuck out more than the rest. “Recorded by the same individual.” She sat up a little straighter. “Hold on, Forerunner. I guessed you would have made a version of me in the earlier generations, if I was the one you picked to translate pony language. That makes sense. I didn’t get a proper opportunity until now, so you’d keep giving me another chance until I worked it out or failed. That’s how the Forerunner program’s logic works. Well… how it worked back then.” She blushed, ears flattening a little to her head. “I get that you’re more than that now. That it isn’t a fair comparison anymore. But you get the idea.”

“You want to know why there is an imprint to work from,” Forerunner said. “Your first generation counterpart failed at translating Eoch, as I would not have required you to perform that task from scratch. If he had succeeded, I would not have created you in the first place. That is correct. There were unique circumstances. I believe observing them would be better than my explaining them.”

Without waiting for her approval, the drone settled the helmet onto her head. Its design had apparently been modified (like so much else) to work with pony anatomy. She supposed she could only hope so.

“Wait.” She raised a hoof, as though trying to stop the other drone. The one holding the alcohol swab. “What the hell is that thing for? Why do you need to inject my neck for this? This isn’t The Matrix, I don’t have some interface port to plug into.”

“No,” Forerunner agreed. “We’re talking about the laws of thermodynamics. Your brain can be enhanced to process information at a significantly greater rate—to match the delivery rate of this equipment. But greater computational speed corresponds to an increased heat output, even with assistance from several useful drugs. I could explain the precise mechanism for doing so, but you lack the medical background to understand it. It is sufficient to say that it uses your body’s circulatory system and there is a large exchange of blood involved.”

Lucky shivered, glancing at the needle again. If I want to be in charge, I’m going to have to do hard things. Olivia gave her life so that her soldiers and the slaves could escape. Can’t I at least do a few more needles?

“You’re sure this is safe?”

“Safe, yes. I am not certain it will be effective, given the marginal differences in your brain chemistry. If your health is put in doubt at any point, I will terminate the test.”

“Alright,” Lucky said. “Fine, fine. Before I change my mind.” She felt the pain a moment later, much worse than the simple shots her phobia had come from. It looked like the drone had selected a major artery. “You can’t have invented this,” she said, glancing at the screen. There was no avatar there, and Forerunner was no more present there than it had been in any other part of Othar. But it still felt natural to talk to something. “We didn’t have anything like this when I got scanned.”

“You didn’t,” Forerunner agreed. “But that’s a different conversation. You might feel a slight irritation on your scalp…”

She felt a brief surge of agony, thousands of little knives stabbing into her head. Then, nothing.

PreviousChapters Next