• Published 22nd Jan 2018
  • 8,515 Views, 1,313 Comments

Her Royal Morning Coffee - Georg



Twilight has a secret coltfriend that nobody knows about. Not even her. And he’s not too sure either. Then Luna gets involved, and it only gets weirder.

  • ...
44
 1,313
 8,515

12. Fall In Love With Coffee All Over Again

Her Royal Morning Coffee
Fall in Love With Coffee All Over Again


~ ~ ☕ ~ ~

The ability to catch a nap anywhere was a real bonus for a coffee shop owner with early hours. It did leave Dry Roast a little disoriented when the train stopped in Manehattan and he helped Rarity get her extensive baggage to the waiting wagon, then helped again to unload the whole thing all over again when they got to the hotel. He did not realize it at first, but sometime during his nap on the train, Dry had gained a sharp black vest trimmed in hints of gold thread with a snappy fedora to match, which caught the eye whenever he passed anything reflective.

“I think I look a little like a groom,” he muttered mostly to himself while following Rarity into the bustling hotel. “Why did we have to stop by the photo store before coming over here?”

“Your outfit is unique, darling,” purred Rarity. “I photograph everything I bring to avoid having the design stolen.”

For a long moment, Dry Roast could see his picture on a milk carton somewhere, dressed in the new vest and hat, of course. It occupied his mind while waiting in line at the hotel desk, keeping an eye on the cart full of dresses and other fashion items involved in the setup of Rarity’s booth at the Bridle Star show. Even though the fashion show was not supposed to start until tomorrow, the hotel buzzed with activity, and the line to register was taking some time.

Since most of the ponies in line were beautiful young mares dressed in beautiful new outfits, Dry Roast had no problem with just standing around and admiring the view. And to his hidden pleasure, many of the mares had no problem looking back, although he suspected they were more interested in the suit than the stallion inside.

“Got the keys, darling.” Rarity came strolling back over to Dry Roast with an ornate set of keys floating behind her. “The bellhops are spread thin, so if you would be so kind as to bring my things up to the room, you can get a short nap before we start setting up. I know I’ve got you out past your bedtime.”

“Naps are good,” said Dry with a yawn, although he abruptly woke all the way up in the elevator when he noticed the keys Rarity was holding in her magic had a massive heart-shaped fob with ‘Just Married’ in large pink letters, obviously the keys to the Honeymoon Suite. He stayed quiet, however, because he did not want to make a scene, but could not help picturing what would happen when he returned to Ponyville. Possibly a three-way wrestling match for his body between two Equestrian princesses and a fashion princess.

I wonder how small the leftover bits will be when they’re done.

The hotel did not cut corners when it came to ensuring their newlyweds’ comfort, because the door going into the suite was large enough that even Princess Celestia could have been carried across the threshold without bumping into anything. Exactly why that mental image was the first thing that popped into Dry’s mind was a little concerning, but once the luggage cart was pushed to one side, he had more important things to worry about. In particular, another nap, hopefully alone in the bed.

Rarity was watching him from under hooded eyelids with little flickers of her long lashes. “Why Mister Roast. I thought you would have some sort of ‘dry’ comment about our room by now.”

“Too tired. Long train trip.” Dry Roast yawned and winced at the sound of a polite knocking at the suite door. “Who’s that?”

“No idea,” called back Rarity before she vanished into the opulent bedroom with a gasp of amazement. “This place has everything. Would you be a dear and get the door?”

“If that’s Luna…” Dry Roast tried to put on a happy and social face while strolling over to the door. He took a moment to run a hoof across his mane, just in case, and opened the door to find a beautiful, well-dressed earth pony mare looking up at him. Admittedly, she was not as old as Luna, but bastions of makeup and mane care products were engaged in a vigorous battle to protect the mare from the ravages of age, and seemed to be doing a good job of it too. Her dark brown eyes traced a path up from his hooves to his ears while her polite smile grew into a knowing smirk and two thinning eyebrows arched in appreciation.

“Hellooo. Where did Rarity find you and do you have any brothers?”

Dry Roast was flabbergasted beyond words, but he did shake hooves when the older mare offered.

“I’m Silk Inseam.” The mare’s lips parted just enough for her to run the tip of her tongue across the exposed teeth, which seemed sharper than he expected, although that might have just been a mistaken impression. “I presume you are the young stallion Rarity was bringing to the exposition? The one dating Princess Luna?”

“We’re not…” Dry Roast thought about just what his position with Luna was, and decided he could not explain it without a chalkboard and a few shots of rum. “I’m Dry Roast, Ma’am. Right this way, please,” he said instead, gesturing with one hoof inside the pink painted and heart decorated room. “Rarity will be right out.”

“Mama, we’ve got a problem.” A young mare, just barely out of college if that, came scurrying up the corridor and stopped just outside the honeymoon suite door. “Whoa.”

Silk Inseam nodded to Dry Roast and gestured with one flawless pink foreleg at the new arrival. “Mister Roast, this is my daughter, Buttonhook. Manners, dear,” she directed at her bright-eyed daughter. “No drooling over Princess Luna’s… young thing.”

“Sorry, sir,” said Buttonhook, bobbing her head. “Could you help bring our bags? One of the wheels on the luggage carts bent and dumped our stuff out back by the elevator.”

Dry Roast looked askance, but a glance back into the room showed Rarity greeting her friend with a hug and nuzzle, so her presence in the room must have been previously arranged. He went down the hall to the elevator with the young mare, who was fascinated with Princess Luna and had all kinds of questions about her mixed in with their attempts to straighten up the bent wheel on the cart. By the time they managed to move the crippled cart back to the room, several other mares had passed by and asked for directions, and the honeymoon suite was fairly filled with mares. After pulling the cart over with the rest, he turned and looked at the veritable wall of amused female eyes, of which one set in particular was quite familiar.

“Rarity, what’s going on?” he asked, still a little winded from having to practically float the heavy cart back to the room.

Before Rarity could say a word, a fluffy pink pegasus mare with the most flyaway mane and dark eyes strolled over. She was a little thing who just barely came up to under his chin, which she brushed underneath while she circled around him once, then called out in a husky voice, “Lock the door, girls. We only have a few hours before the expo floor opens.” She gave him a very inappropriate look from under fluffy eyebrows and added, “And I call first dibs.”

Thankful that he had been double princess kissed and been through a train trip to dull his nerves, Dry Roast regarded the young pegasus with a single upraised eyebrow. It took only a heartbeat to think of a quick rejoinder, which he had to credit to Princess Luna’s droll sense of humor rubbing off on him by close and frequent exposure.

Looking over the giggling crowd of mares, he shook his head ever so slowly and drawled, “Just a couple hours ain’t even enough time for one, let alone all you beautiful ladies.”

All of the mares fairly collapsed in uproarious laughter, hooting and whooping loud enough that Dry Roast found himself hoping that the Honeymoon Suite was well soundproofed, or the hotel staff was going to get the most unusual impression of what was going on. The young mare blushed brighter pink while being bugged by her fellow fashion designers, and once all the giggling and good-natured ribbing had calmed down to where Rarity could make herself heard, she called them all to order.

“Thank you, Puffball, for the entertainment portion of this evening’s events,” said Rarity while suppressing one last giggle. “I’m sorry for not telling you about this before, Mister Roast, but I just had to see your face.”

“And those flanks,” called out one of the other designers amidst a flurry of whistles.

“Yes, those too,” said Rarity with a smirk. “Every year the hotel is just so packed and I never get a chance to talk with the girls before we’re chasing things around in the expo center. By the time we’re headed home, we’re exhausted, so this year, I reserved the biggest empty suite they had.”

After checking the clock and giving a quick glance around the room full of mares, Dry Roast had to bring up the obvious flaw in the plan. “There’s only one bed.”

Rarity dismissed his objection with the flip of a fetlock. “Oh, we never get to sleep anyway before we have to set things up. The hall opens at midnight for the vendors, so we’ve only got a few hours to catch up on any last-minute changes, talk about how the fashion world is moving—”

“Exchange gossip,” said Silk Inseam with a very pointed look at Dry.

“Oh, don’t get too excited about that,” said Rarity in a dismissive fashion. “He’s a perfect gentlecolt with Princess Luna and Princess Twilight. They’ve barely kissed. Now scoot on off to bed, Mister Roast,” she added, pointing at the open doorway to the Honeymoon Suite bedroom. “When it’s time to get our displays put together on the expo floor, we’ll get you up.”

~ ~ ☕ ~ ~

One thing that Rarity had neglected to mention was that the fashion show was for wedding fashions, which was only made worse by all of her gossip friends wanting to borrow Dry Roast for ‘just a second’ in order to counterbalance a hasty photo shoot or watch a booth while the proprietor made a quick dash to the bathroom.

Then the doors opened.

Dry Roast had never been married, but he had taken his place during his older brother’s wedding, with his place being mostly “Stand there” and “Try not to frown.” Balanced Budget had been the bane of the old mare in charge of the festivities, resulting in her becoming the unwilling foster mother of six frogs by the time the whole thing was over and Bud had departed the field of conflict with his giggling spouse in tow.

The whole experience had only made Dry Roast more determined never to have to face another hatchet-faced mare with parchment-thin hide and dark squinty eyes again, or at least not without his big brother and a whole bag of frogs.

This morning, he had neither. Far worse were the beady eyes peering at him from every angle while suspicious wedding planners chaperoned their young mares through the displays, ready to spring into action should any threats wander within smooching range of their young charges. From the fluttering glances cast his way from beneath lowered lashes, the prospective brides would not have minded a few moments of practice before their own bridal occasions, but Dry kept thinking of Luna as a comparison to the lovely young mares. He was fairly sure she would not mind if he sampled a few kisses, but he had to wonder just what kind of competitiveness it would trigger, and if he would survive the resulting alicorn-powered kisses in return.

With the whole extravaganza in full bloom, Dry Roast found himself being ‘volunteered’ to stand in as escort to an entire wave of young, white-clad mares while they fidgeted about what kind of veil or dress train went best with the outfit they had picked out. To his surprise, there were other young stallions employed to fill in for the same purpose, all handsome young bucks with bright smiles and dashing manestyles, but for some reason, Dry seemed to be the most popular. It was not until near the end of the program when Dry Roast escorted several young brides down the runway in the final fashion show that he found out just exactly why the young mares preferred his company.

On the plus side, the number of business cards he accumulated from his fellow male models with variations of ‘Let me know when you’re in town next and we can have dinner’ written on the back was a little comforting to his ego, and explained the appreciative looks from them. But on the minus side, they came with more than a few cards from the young brides at the show too, and he was horribly afraid several of the wrinkled old prunes who were shepherding them through the fashion show had added their own cards to his collection.

The whole show took hours from beginning to end, but the time fairly flew past until the last calls went out across the intercom and the customers were all shuffled off the floor, including a few young mares who were having indecision fits about the perfect veil or bit of lace. A collective sigh of relief went across the participants when the big doors boomed shut, but before they could all begin tearing their booths down for the trip back to wherever they all called home, Rarity stepped up to the stage.

“Ladies and gentlecolts,” she fairly purred into the microphone. “Before we get distracted, I would like to direct your attention to the mare who made this all possible, Baroness Star Rose. Let’s have a warm round of applause for her, please.”

Dry Roast stomped along with the rest while an elderly earth pony mare took the stage with Rarity to nod at the gathering crowd. She took over the microphone to pass on a few encouraging words, then passed it back to Rarity, who smiled and gestured Dry Roast to come up closer to the stage.

He did, although with reservations.

“Ladies, we have a special treat for the sendoff this evening.” Rarity lit up her horn and the resulting spotlight made Dry Roast squint into the light. “As you may have noticed, my male companion for the day is wearing a special outfit I crafted just for this occasion. We will be auctioning it off for the Manehattan Orphanage Fund before we all head for home, and if the handsome stallion is willing, with a little something extra for the winning bidder.”

“A kiss?” he asked, more to himself than the crowd, although it seemed as if the microphone was far more sensitive than he expected when his errant words were amplified to the far corners of the convention hall, and the surrounding mares proceeded to give wild whistles and catcalls in response.

“Actually, I was thinking of throwing the hat in with the suit, but since you offered,” said Rarity. “Do I hear one hundred bits? Yes, over there. How about two hundred?”

At one time, Dry Roast had purchased a suit jacket for his brother’s wedding. It cost him just over two hundred bits, and was about the highest quality tailoring that had ever been fitted to his lanky form. The bidding for the one he wore now went over two thousand bits in a matter of minutes, and by the time Silk Inseam and Baroness Star Rose finished their bidding war, the price tag had exceeded six thousand bits.

Somehow, he suspected the kiss he wound up giving to Baroness Star Rose was not worth quite that much, even with the suit and hat she peeled off him to the admiring whistles and comments of the fashion crowd. But there were no complaints, and the baroness had an unbreakable smile while giving her brief closing remarks and a quick exchange of whispers with Rarity before departing. It was a little bit of a letdown after that to help pack up Rarity’s booth and put the remaining dresses and accoutrements into boxes and carriers for the trip back to Ponyville. He had never been a real focus of attention before, other than that tulip thing in Canterlot with Rainbow Dash, and Twilight Sparkle’s moping presence at that event had sucked all the joy out of the experience.

He was puzzling away at just why the memory bothered him during the trip back to the train station, only to have Rarity nudge him with a shoulder and knock the idea out of his head.

“I must say, Mister Roast, that I have never seen one of the auctions after our events go nearly so well. Star practically begged me to see about getting you to return next year, although I think she expects you to have a princess at your side at that time.”

“It could be,” admitted Dry Roast. He shifted positions on the carriage’s padded seat and tried to imagine Princess Luna where Rarity now sat. “I don’t think Twilight would be interested, but Luna…”

“You are serious about her, are you not?” Rarity lifted one perfect eyebrow and cast a playful look at Dry.

“I… um…” It was a long-term question, and Dry Roast had only considered the short-term consequences of having Luna as an employee. The idea of going beyond their friendly and playful morning banter into something ‘serious’ as Rarity had said, was a square peg that did not fit into his round peg mind very well without a great deal of sanding and shaping.

“You have to remember that Luna is an alicorn,” said Dry. “She’s had… several young stallions over the years. And as an alicorn, she has a… different way of looking at the male/female relationship. She can’t get too attached to a prospective… mate, because in a few centuries, all she will have is memories. And I presume the opposite is true of anypony who… mates with her.”

“Oh, my.” Rarity had much the same expression as a young colt who had added a drop of catalyst to a test tube, and was determining if the resulting reaction would destroy the whole building or just the room. “You are serious.”

Now that was worthy of some serious thought, and Dry considered the points and prickles of that thorny issue all the while through loading Rarity’s luggage onto the train and finding a seat for the trip back to Ponyville. It was a thought that fairly demanded coffee to go with it, and by the time he had settled down in his seat with a half-caf peppermint spiced latte, there was only one conclusion he could draw.

“Yes.”

“Oh,” said Rarity, obviously flummoxed for a second at the way their conversation was restarting. She shifted uncomfortably on the bench seat of the train car, biting her bottom lip briefly before added, “I suppose I should apologize for forcing that kiss on you yesterday morning.”

“No,” said Dry Roast. “Princess Luna… Alicorns have…” He took a deep breath and considered the substantial shortage of coffee relating to his current condition. Just one foam cup wasn’t going to do it. A few cappuccino shots with maybe some additional ingredients would have made explaining things much easier. “Alicorns compete for their mates, and in Luna’s opinion, Twilight… isn’t.”

“I see.” Rarity nodded, although with a worrisome thinness to her lips and a furtive glance out of the train windows at the newly risen moon.

“No, fighting over a stallion is not what caused Nightmare Moon,” said Dry Roast. “Luna has been talking to me about… things. Normal mares get jealous when their stallion starts nosing around other mares. Alicorns get… competitive.”

“You mean treating them as some sort of award in a fashion show for the best model?” asked Rarity with a note of disdain.

Thankfully, Dry Roast had been around town for quite some time, and had talked extensively with Applejack, thus giving him leverage he never thought he was going to use. In particular, he knew of one certain stallion who he had been told —in the most strictest of confidence, of course — had a small room dedicated to his memory inside the Carousel Boutique, despite having tried his best to romance Applejack.

“Trenderhoof,” he replied in a flat deadpan.

“Why, that’s…” Rarity paused, settled back on her train seat, and gave a ladylike sniff. “I don’t see the relevance of your argument at all.” She turned her back on Dry Roast and looked out the train window instead, giving little flickers of her eyes to Dry’s reflection in the glass and eventually adding, “I’ve moved on.”