• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 586 Views, 15 Comments

Bridle City Port - Magi Tail Welkin



The Star Ponies are the power behind the docks and waterways that make up Bridle City Port.

  • ...
 15
 586

Chapter 10: Regatta

Adjacent to the entrance of the port stood Founder Rocks, named after one of the most severe hoof diseases, severe enough to be fatal. To the early sailors of Bridle City Port these rocks were a disease, and most certainly fatal. The strong currents from the sandbanks underneath would drag ships onto the rocks trapping them within the jagged grips like the ancient sirens of legend. Over the years many vessels and ponies had been lost.

Thus, one family took it upon themselves to build a navigational aid, a lighthouse, with a loud foghorn and a bright light able to be seen for miles and miles around. Today a decedent of the original builders operates the lighthouse, her name, Lillie Lampard.

Captain Star had the contract to keep the lighthouse repaired and shining, which kept Ten Bits, accompanied by Blake, and Sunshine busy with the fuel wagons, without the fuel, the light would go out.

Sunshine walked out the front door and tapped Ten Bits, the teenage colt smiled "Ah well that's it Lillie, now you can show us the way home.", Blake barked and Sunshine added "What would we do without hey?"

Lillie sighed and leaned on the archway "Nice to be appreciated boys. You'll be in the Summer Sun Celebration Regatta parade I suppose? I never get to see much of it from out here."

"Uh," Ten Bits smirked "pity that. Will throw Sunshine in the lighthouse and lock the front door, that way you can come in and see."

"Hey," Sunshine said himself smirking "do you mind I'm in the parade too you know.", they laughed, Ten Bits pulled Blake's lead and pulled his cane from where it was tied to his reins, this way he could make sure where the edge of the causeway was so he wouldn't fall in the water. Blake sat up and turned towards the port, Ten Bits looked in Lillie's direction "Ah well, much try and get back in."

"Aye," Sunshine said pulling forward "bye Lillie will tell you all about it."

She waved as the two ponies and the guide dog walked away with the empty wagons in tow, "Bye boys, hope to see you soon."

Later that night a thick fog came down. Atop in the light room Lillie thought about the fun everyone else would have and the memories of being able to watch as a filly, after her father took seriously ill she took over and did her families duty with all the attention a lighthouse keeper would need, but she couldn't help but think.

She thought she heard something in the distance. The throb of a steamship. It quickly grew louder, meaning it rapidly approached. Lillie pulled on the cord to sound the horn, which she repeated several times, but no reply came.

Out of the fog the vessel appeared and looked as if out of control. It grazed the causeway with a metallic groan so load Lillie covered her ear. With a sicking thud, it took a glancing blow at the lighthouse cutting large hole in the lowest quarter. The boat then sped toward Founder Rock. It went too fast to avert disaster. It's bow tore into the rock. Rested for a moment. Then with an unhappy sigh slid backwards and sunk rapidly.

The lighthouse now stood in a perilous condition, and Lillie trapped within it. The hole meant the large waves from the rocks which regularly crashed onto the causeway seeped into the generator room, the electric discharged caused both a fire downstairs and the light to fizzle out. Stuck within the now pitch black room all Lillie could do was wait for help.

Dawn arrived and Lillie carefully went to the panoramic windows to look out with anxiousness for help. She treed carefully because she felt the lighthouse side slightly, she suspected the building could collapse, just to add to a stressful night.

She heard the flapping of wings, she looked seeing Grampus land. She lifted a hoof and called out "SOS, Grampus, SOS."

The small Pegasus turned around and a face of horror appeared "Lillie! The lighthouse."

"Please help Grampus please."

"Nasty hole Lillie, right on the waterline. And the mortar of doesn't seem to be all that safe either, strong enough wave or wind the whole thing could topple over."

"Well go get help quick.", the surveillance pony looked around a looked at the wreckages around the rock "Just a minute, I've got an idea," he flew off and grabbed beams and flagpoles "if I can prop up the hole it could do the trick."

"No! You endanger yourself."

"Don't worry about me." He said pushing the wood into place "I'm used to dangerous situations." He let go and saw the building settle "It's going to work." He put the next one up and spoke "That's keep the building up a while. But you've got a lot of water in here." He spread his wings out "I'll use my wings as shield to stop the bulk of the spray, I'll also keep the poles from slipping until real help comes."

"Thank you, Grampus. Thank you."

Help indeed would be on it way, while this went on a City Guard patrol pony saw everything and sped off to alert headquarters.


In the Star Building, everyone brushed off and put last minute touches to their new ceremonial uniforms. During their visit to Ponyville, Rarity offered to create one for the Star Ponies, something Top Hat greatly approved. Since it would be showcased during the thousand-year tradition of the Summer Sun Celebration Rarity choose a traditional look.

The Royal Equestrian Navy was formed initially by a collation of trading companies to protect one another and themselves from piracy, after the formation of the Royal Guard and the Wonderbolts. Princess Celestia saw the value in a force protecting ports and rescuing ships so allowed the formation of the Equestrian Navy and eventually gave it her approval making it the Royal Equestrian Navy. Later the most elite of the Naval Ponies formed a quick response subdivision, the Royal Marines.

Rarity choice to base this uniform on the first trading companies to voluntarily amalgamate into the first generation of the Navy. Instead of the sea blue coats tailed coats, the Star uniforms were coloured yellow, with a dash of white embroidery, they still wore their neckerchiefs. To add a modern touch were the yellow peaked caps with the star badge on the front.

Everyone aside for Hercules were present, the large Pegasus was away in Canterlot to be back in time for the parade, and he would be dressed in his Wonderbolt reserves uniform.

Top Hat assumed anyone with his antics when the doors to the reaction room flung open and a City Guard messenger ran through and into Captain Star's office. After a minute or two Captain walked out in his uniform, complete with fringed epaulettes and to acknowledge his former place in the Marines, pith helmet. He marched out and gave the grave new "There's an emergency the Founder Rock Lighthouse is on the verge of collapsing."

The City Guard messenger nodded and spoke hurriedly "The Captain is correct; it is about to collapse. The Zeroes can't help. So, address yourselves to the problem and get organised, okay?" and he quickly left. Captain Star nodded "That's it, you'll have to forget the festivities for a while."

Top Hat protested "I say this is an outrage.", Captain Star turned to him and like an officer shouted in his face "This is an emergency job!", Top Hat gulped "I see.", Captain Star nodded and turned to everyone else "OJ, get Mighty Moe and his crane."

"Right you are sir."

"Ten Bits, get timber and a group of engineers from Lucky's. You'll need this permit from the City Guard."

"Right." Taking hold of the piece of paper, he pulled on Blake's lead and the quickly made their way.

Zorran looked up, he Zip and Zug were waited at the Yard to collect a load, complete in black suits, with white pinstripes and fedora hats. The dark orange Pegasus rolled his eyes "That's all we need an interfering start. Zip, Zug block him."

The two Earth Ponies nodded and galloped out to the entrance gate. Their resolve was somewhat shaken when Blake started growling, Ten Bits spoke "My way you two. Zorran there's an emergency."

Zorran rolled his eyes "Always is with you." Zorran decided to treat Ten Bits the same way as before, no better or worse for becoming blind, just business as usual.

Ten Bits continued "The lighthouse is going to collapse. I need timber.", Blake pulled at the lead and barked and yipped, Ten Bits understood and nodded "That lot their will do.", Zorran turned to the workers carrying out a large thick piece of wood and laughed "Oh no it won't it's being unloaded for us."

"I'm taking anyway, the City Guard have given us permission, complain to Captain Star and the Guards if you want to."

"I'll do more than that, I'm reporting you to Captain Zero."

When he made it to the lighthouse Blake start talking to Ten Bits about the situation.

Already the City Guard were putting up barriers to keep the spray of the waves from disrupting the future construction work. OJ and Mighty Moe worked on rising the lighthouse back to its upright position and then about Grampus. And despite the seriousness of the accident Ten Bits could hardly believe what Blake told him, he thought it quite funny. "Well that must be a bizarre umbrella you've got propped up there Lillie."

"Very funny." Grumbled Grampus.

OJ looked at the Naval Pegasus "It's okay Grampus, we'll better secure the lighthouse so you can let go. Just hang out a while longer."

"Make it soon, I'm going numb all over."

"Now listen carefully," called Mighty Moe "I'm going to lift the lighthouse up a bit." He pulled to the crane back slightly and the lighthouse stood straight again. "Ten Bits, OJ, take the strongest of the timber and put them in place.", they did so and they helped Grampus out. They then started to put more pieces of timber in place to make sure.

Lillie walked out the front door and walked up to Grampus, laying down on the ground, she hugged him and gave him a small kiss on the cheek "Thank you Grampus my hero.", this caused the two Star Ponies to laugh.

One of the engineer ponies from Lucky's came out the door having gone in before Lillie came out, he shook his head "It's very bad in here, we'll have to pump the water out, not easy to do with saltwater, then rebuild the hole, put new brinks and cement where's there cracks and repair the generators. Not going to be a quick job."

OJ walked up to her "Lillie, we'll have to find you accommodation in the City. We'll take you to hospital first. Grampus you'd better have a quick inspection as well, just in case" He walked over to his yoke to help pull Mighty Moe back.

Grampus flapped a wing as if to wave him off "I'm alright, just a little tried and wet that all. It's a warm day so I'm not going to get pneumonia or anything."

Ten Bits leaving the timber wagon with the engineers walked up to Lillie and got her attention "This might be your lucky day Lillie; you might get seen at the Regatta.", she shushed him "Every-pony might think I caused the accident deliberately."

Laughing the group walked back along the causeway.


Whilst the rescue of Lillie Lampard went on, Warrior and Lord Stinker arrived at the City Dump with barge in tow and were surprised to see Zack Grappler, the garbage scooper operator, and the only Zebra in Bridle City Port, sitting on a deckchair and basking in the sun, instead of working on the heaps of steaming garbage behind him. The clumsy Earth Pony cleared his throat "Morning Zack, nice day for garbage."

"There's no garbage today." The Zebra said gruffly, little known fact, when Zebras only say very small sentences they have no need to rhyme.

Warrior however looked confused "What do you mean no garbage today? There's heap behind you."

"No garbage today."

"But I've got to have garbage, you know, I've got to have garbage," he turned to Lord Stinker "His Lordship needs garbage.", some ponies went further with the Lord Stinker nickname for Grubber Wings and treating him as nobility, Warrior finished his little rant with "We all need garbage."
Zack replied "It's the festival day or something like it. So there no garbage you twit."

A window of the small office building opened and the Garbage Master, not wanting to exit, called out "Is that you Warrior?"

"Uh yes sir, it's me sir."

"You got Lord Stinker with you?"

"He's here sir, barge empty and willing to work sir."

"Well there's no garbage today, alright?"

"Well," Warrior said looking behind the office building "I can see uh, heaps, uh piles, stacks, uh mountains of garbage."

The Garbage Master shout at him "You see no garbage Warrior! Jack will tell you there is no garbage hey Zack?"

"There's no garbage.", the Garbage Master returned to Warrior "Repeat after me Warrior. There ain't no garbage."

"There ain't no garbage.", Lord Stinker rolled his eyes and smirked.

"Good!" proclaim the Garbage Master "That is settled instead today is Municipal Garbage Day, a festival of garbage.", this confused both ponies and the GM explained "Municipal Garbage Day falls on the day before the Summer Sun Celebrations and the same day as the Celebration Regatta, so to join in all the fun we the Garbage Cooperation are going to make our own barge float. No flowers or fancy bits just prime colourful garbage."
While Grubber Wings scratched his head, Warrior smiled "I don't believe this."

Zack got out of his deckchair and went to the ladder up to his crane "This going to take a very long time, so I'd sit tight if I was you. Must get started now, heaps to do."

As the GM shut his window Warrior turned to Lord Stinker "Things get stranger and stranger around here, suppose it is festival day."


In the hospital waiting the nurse and doctors were ready to examine Lillie, Ten Bits pulled on Blake's lead "Bye Lillie, got to help Big Jock now. Good luck with the examination."

"Thank you Ten Bits. Enjoy the Regatta."

"You bet.", as the teenage colt and the guide dog left OJ spoke "Looks like you might see the festivities Lillie, if you not to badly injured then you could probably help with the auxiliary light tonight."

"I hope this doesn't sound selfish, but I really hoped I could stay in the city a little longer.", OJ grinned but told her the facts "You've got expertise important to navigation."

Grampus exited the examination room and sat down next to them, OJ however got up and spoke to him "Come on Grampus, you'd better move out, or the Navy will be after you."

"Don't worry they know where I am, I think."


Ten Bits arrived to help Big Jock, he began to explain the morning's events when a voice called out, they turned and a Unicorn in naval uniform walked up "Excuse me you sir."

"Hello," Big Jock said "sorry but I can stop for long I'm afraid, there's loads urgent."

"Oh, quite understand good sir, it's just I'm looking for a member of the Naval Surveillance and Espionage Corps, called Grampus. Grey Pegasus about so tall." He indicated the height, only just higher than a foal, with his hoof.

Ten Bits shook his head "Yeah I ain't heard from him since we left the hospital. He helped stop the Founder Rock Lighthouse from collapsing, so he's probably taking a well-deserved break somewhere, probably on his hobby of watching dolphins."

The Naval pony hummed "That maybe so, but he's a member of the Royal Equestrian Navy, he is not a civilian playmate. He's a part of a royal authorised organisation over two-hundred and fifty years old, and will be proudly going after we all pass on."

"Okay mister," Big Jock said "that's enough. We haven't seen him. So, make way, my works important."

"Your work's important? If it wasn't for the Navy protecting this port and those like it, you wouldn't be able to work."

Ten Bits narrowed his eyebrows "Who are you anyway, you sounding like Bluenose."

"I'm called Quartermaster, and I am simply stating fact. Unlike Bluenose I make sure I have all the facts and follow all orders to the letter and with great pride, unlike him who made things up think he could. That mentality only ever leads to trouble. And I did."

The sound of fluttering wings sounded and they turned as Grampus landed. He saluted Quartermaster and turned to the others "I'm being discharged today."

"You're leaving the Navy?" Ten Bits asked.

"That is correct." Quartermaster said "He's reached the end of his eight-year minimum. And thus, he'll be given the full discharge ceremony of his type."

"His type?" Ten Bits asked.

"You civilians won't know this but Surveillance and Espionage can lead to some very stick tactics, often at time unhanded, unfair and unsporting."
Ten Bits scoffed "Sounds like the Z Manes to me."

"You may joke, but we in Navy do not, we take great offense to this piratical behaviour, as you should know the origins of our glorious force was to combat pirates. So as part of the discharge ceremony the individual is the target of a mock battle, up to Marine standards meaning live fireworks."

Behind his sunglasses Ten Bits felt his eyes widened "But that's horrible. What happens if he gets killed?"

"Some-pony with the skill of be of the SEC should be able to out-manoeuvre the shots." He turned to the Pegasus "Come on Grampus, back to base. Ceremony starts at fourteen-hundred hours.", Grampus frowned slightly and nodded, then saluted "Yes sir." He flapped his wings and started following the Naval Unicorn.

Ten Bits called out "Grampus don't go. Fly off and hide!"

"It's no use. They'd catch up with again somewhere. And I plan to survive. Thanks for all the fun we had together. Bye Ten Bits. Bye."

Ten Bits sniffed and felt a tear rolled down his face "Bye.", Blake howled.

Big Jock spoke "Listen we can't let this happen. I'll handle the wagons. You go off and find OJ and maybe your old stallion. Tell them about Grampus, they should know what to do. We'll save our mate Grampus if it the last thing we do."

"Right Big Jock. Come on Blake, back home fast as we can.", Blake barked and the two rushed off.

Every minute was valuable as a plan needed to be devised. Ten Bits used every ounce his speed he could muster to get across the port and soon entered the Star Building.

The door to the recreation room flung open catching every-ponies attention. Both Ten Bits and Blake virtually fell apart as they collapsed to the ground. Captain Star came out of his office, dressed fully in his uniform "Ten Bits? What's happened."

"The Navy, they could kill Grampus." He then explained.

Captain Star frowned his eyebrows "I did hear this was a possible thing done during my time as a Marine. But it also depended on the officer in charge, you said Quartermaster?", his son nodded "What are we going to do?"

"I say." Top Hat spoke up "I don't know if we should interfere really."

"But we must." Sunshine said "He's my friend, friends are valuable stallion."

Captain Star nodded "I was about to meet the Princesses as they arrived. I'm sure I can convince them, Celestia always listens." He turned to Ten Bits "And I sure Princess Twilight wouldn't mind speaking with you again."

Ten Bits nodded and stood "Let's get going, times running out."


"Well Grampus." Quartermaster said at the start of the long field "You've done the Navy a great service these last eight years, we're all said too sad you go. But as you know, the Navy cannot overlook such hypocrisy within its ranks."

Grampus saluted "Proud to have been of service sir. Thank you. Now if you don't mind I'd like to prepare myself for the battle."

Quartermaster laughed "Very well, and good luck laddie." And the Unicorn trotted back to the bunker to give the command. He took hold of a megaphone and went to the window. He turned to one of the sailors "Raise the flag and sound the alarm.", the sailor nodded and went to the flagpole, raised the red flag meaning stay clear and started the siren.

"Sir!" another sailor called "I'm picking up a message."

"Can it wait?"

"No sir. It's from Princess Twilight Sparkle.", Quartermaster turned "Very well read it out."

"Cease mock battle. Do not risk the safety of Grampus. Let him go."

Quartermaster blinked and sighed he turned to the siren pony "Stop sirens and lower the flag.", they did so and Quartermaster walked out to a confused Grampus, "It seems you've been given a pardon from the Princess of Friendship. You may go.", Grampus blinked but smiled, saluted and flew off, now a civilian.

He returned to Bridle City Port. His first thought was to find Princess Twilight and thank her, but he figured she would be busy with the tour before the Regatta started. Something told him to go and find the Star Ponies.

The Star Ponies were doing their last-minute preparations with their wagons floats.

Sunshine looked up and saw Grampus, he almost bounced as he trotted over and hugged his little friend "Thank Celestia. You're okay.", Grampus raised an eyebrow and grinned "I guess you have something to do with his."

"Actually," Ten Bits said walking up "me and Captain Star had something to do with it."

"Oh no." Top Hat said "Here's that awful Zorran and his cronies."

"Hello, hello, hello." The lead Z Manes said as he, Zip and Zug walked up "What's all this? What's going on?"

"Clear off Zorran." Top Hat said "It's our business."

"No, it's not." Called Zug "Deal's a deal. Ten Bits said he'd let us in on it."

"No I never!" Ten Bits yelled, Blake started growling. Zorran ignored this "You lot have been up to something. And anyway, you owe us one wagon of timber. Move side Top Hat and let me see." He said pushing forward.

OJ shouted at the Z Mane as he pushed though "Mind your own business Zorran."

"I am. This is my business. I'm looking for my timber."

"Well it isn't here." Ten Bits said "Just back off and leave us alone. We're putting away the spare part to our floats.", Zorran looked over the crates and laughed spying Grampus "Some spare parts. Kidnapping naval personal hey? Nice little number colts, very nice. That's the second crime to report today. Captain Zero will tell the Navy…"

"Move it Zorran old boy." Said a voice. Every-pony looked up as Hercules landed in his Wonderbolt Reservists uniform. Suddenly Zorran turned rather meek "Ah. Only a game you understand Hercules."

"I know all about your game Zorran." He put his hoof down "Beat it. And take your gelded lot with you."

"Oh, I'm going too. You'll hear about it from the Navy don't worry." And he and the two other Z Manes trudged off.

Top Hat hitched himself to his float "Yes well, I'm off as well, wasted far too much time already."

Hercules ignored this and spoke to the others "Alright my dears, I don't think I'll wait around for answers I need to be in the show today too. You can tell me all later." He then looked around "Now where's Warrior got to?"


"Warrior?" the Garbage Master called from his office.

"Yes sir?" Warrior replied.

"Right let's do a quick last check. Barge completed with colourful oil drums and streamers, yes. Lord Stinker spic and span, yes. Zack wearing colourful hat, yes." He laughed at the last one. Indeed, the barge, and indeed the office was covered with things looking like they belonged to Pinkie Pie, the GM finished "Good, well that is it."

"I just don't believe this." Warrior laughed "What are they going to say when they see this junk heap?"

Grubber Wing smiled look over the barge "Well I like the banner 'Municipal Garbage wishes you all a happy day.'" He laughed.

"Ah hey Warrior." The Garbage Master called "You can go now the Regatta is about to start. Just join it and be proud of the Municipal Garbage Cooperation, alright? On you way now and good luck!"

"Thank you, sir." Warrior called as he and Grubber pulled away "It's been, uh a most enjoyable day." Both ponies laughed.

Jack returned to his deckchair and adjusted his hat. "Nice job that, very nice job. I'm going to enjoy my day like a lazy colt. Good luck Warrior you dolt."


A crowd gather outside the town hall to watch the parade pass. Town hall stood next to one of the quaysides allowing barge floats to pass as well. The term Regatta was used more loosely since it was more a sceptical involving a port.

Inside the dome of the hall a couple of City Guard ponies prepared the ceremonial cannons.

On the stairs of town hall sat the five Princesses, Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Twilight and the youngest, Flurry Heart in her basket placed next to her mother Cadance, the Princess of Love and co-ruler of the Crystal Empire. On the row below Twilight sat the Council of Friendship, bar Rainbow Dash. On the same row below the Royal Sisters sat the Mayor of Bridle City Port and both Captains Star and Zero, both Free-ponies of the City because of their importance, along with the other Free-ponies. Below Cadance and Flurry sat Starlight and her old friend Sunburst.

The Mayor stood up and tapped the microphone before speaking "Hello every-pony this is your Right Honourable Mayor welcoming you to the annual Regatta." Everyone started clapping and cheering as the Mayor continued "Thank you. Now you know the drill, then the cannon fires the parade will start. This year Top Hat of Star Pony Company will lead on. And after the citizens parade we'll have march and fly passed by all the military forces, courtesy of our wonderful Princesses. And a special ceremony afterward."

After a moment or two a long bang sounded. A ring of smoke flew away from the dome of the hall and over every-ponies head. The Mayor beamed "Enjoy yourselves!"

In single file the ponies with wagons and barges passed as the Mayor commentated "There goes Top Hat, followed by crewmates OJ, Big Jock and Warrior, accompanied by Grubber Wings. All towing splendid wagons and barges, and dressed in some of the finest uniforms I've ever seen, all hoof-made by Rarity of the Council of Friendship.

“There followed by Zak of the Zero Mane Company, who would have been towing the Emergency lightship if not for an emergency. He come Zip and Zug, the Zero Earth Ponies, towing two important city trading commodities, Upriver timber and Izzy Bulmer and his bananas." He laughed as a bark and tapping sounded through.

“Following them is a colourful group. Ten Bits with his guide dog Blake and Sunshine, helping with Little Ditcher and Pearl, hello Pearl."

Then music starting filling the air “Coming from the famous Bridge Café is Zorran, towing the loudest barge of the day.", Zorran pulled with his wings and the Jazz band sitting in the barge played on as the Mayor called over "Nice music guys. Very nice music."

Once Zorran cleared the sounded of marching hooves the Mayor continued "To conclude the civilian section we first have a group of are esteemed City Guard. And the ever-vigilant Fire Department, led by Station Officer Defiant Steel, followed by the second-in-command and brute strength Jupiter, with Vesta hanging onto the back and finally Blazing Saddles.", after them came the marching of other ponies.

"To start are military muster we have four companies of all four EUP Guard, first Number One company, Princess Celestia's Day Guard made of Earth Ponies, Pegasi and Unicorns. Next is Number Two company, the all Bat Pony Night Guard of Prince Luna, amazed to see then so alert during the day.

“Thirdly comes the shining Crystal Guard of the Crystal Empire, commanded by co-ruler of said territory Prince Shining Armour. And finally, the most recent contingency of the EUP Guards, the personal guards of Princess Twilight Sparkle.", Flash Sentry marched in front flanked by an Earth Pony and Unicorn, following them an older Earth Pony stallion in a peaked cap and tunic, followed by three ranks of assorted ponies as the Mayor continued "Current only three fully trained Guard Members, Captain Flash Sentry, Chrome Blade and Dauntless Doo, the rest are voluntary reservist and good luck to them."

A fast whirring sound, almost like a small jet filled the sky as everyone looked up.

"Here comes the flyby, three full Wonderbolts, Commander Spitfire flanked by second-in-command Soarin, and Rainbow Dash and close behind them our own resident Wonderbolt reservist, Hercules of the Star Company." The four flew fast overhead, dived down and flew straight passed the town hall, leaving a thunderbolt strike, with a little hint of rainbow as they passed.

As the strike faded the last of the marching echoed through and the Mayor finished "And finally the most recent of the Equestrian Military forces, the Royal Navy. Today's company commanded by Captain Quartermaster.", as they passed Quartermaster darted his eyes at Twilight but only briefly before returning them to the front.

When they passed, the Mayor spoke up "Well done every-pony," he looked to the gather civilian parade ponies "you all look splendid. Myself and the other Free-ponies considers this to be the best year yet. This means, and hold it, yes! That you've all won a prize.", they cheered and the Mayor held up and hoof "Okay, okay, enough parading. Now we move on, Princess Celestia would like to call forward the Fire Department ponies, Zorran of the Z Manes, Ten Bits, Top Hat, Sunshine and Warrior of the Star Company, and if the next of kin to the sadly late Pulley can come forward as well.", as the called ponies assembled, baring wagons the Mayor stepped aside for Celestia to take centre stage floating several boxes.

The assembled bowed and Celestia smiled "Rise my little ponies. You must be wondering why I called you forward. It is to reward you for your actions within the recent fire disaster, to start, Top Hat and Zorran, though your actions were minimal you still did your parts. Top Hat you ensured the safety of many of my subjects. Zorran you willingly step forward when called to combat the fires to try and save the Quiet Chimera. For this I hereby bestow upon you two, the Order of Canterlot for gallantry, as Members of the Order." The Princess of the Sun opened the first box show two identical medals, she levitated them and pinned them to the two ponies' suits. They nodded their thanks and walked to the side.

Top Hat glanced at Rarity with a proud grin.

The other Z Manes gathered around Zorran and gave him a hearty congratulation.

"Jupiter, Blazing Saddles, Vesta, Sunshine and Warrior. You five fought the flames the longest, you risked yourselves to keep the fire from spreading beyond the old dock area, and succeeded. For this I award you five, the Hurricane Medal, Second Class." Like before she magically pinned them on.

"To the family of Pulley, the poor Unicorn who gave his life to keep his crane from falling in the most dangerous direction and killing dozens, thus posthumously I award Pulley the Hurricane Medal First Class." She floated the small box with the medal over to the family of ponies who bowed.

"Finally," Celestia smiled "to you Ten Bits, you sacrificed much in your actions, and you knew the dangers and did it anyway, if that wagon had not been moved away then it could have easily let the fire the spread, changing the outcome to the best. Your actions were the bravest I have heard of in decades and so to you I bestow the one of the finest of these awards, the Clover Cross, the highest award for bravery not in combat." A collective gasp went around as Celestia placed the medal, by hoof to Ten Bits jacket and she gave a nodding bow.

Ten Bits stood shocked, until Blake reared up and licked him on the face, the teenage colt laughed and then bowed at the Princesses both making his way to the other Star Ponies.

The Mayor retuned to the microphone "Okay, okay. Thanks to you all. Enough parading, let's get this party going." At that moment behind him an exploding stream of confetti and party whistle blew accompanying by a squealing Pinkie Pie.


When night time came and Princess Luna raised the moon to signal the beginning of the overnight celebration OJ gather all the other Star Ponies, baring Captain Star near to the Founder Rocks Lighthouse, none of them could really figure out what would happen.

OJ called over "Alright Lille, do your bit."

A hoof pulled a switch and the Emergency Lightship, anchored and tied firmly to keep it from being washed into the rocks, illuminated the area and Lillie spoke "Hello boys. My medical when swimmingly and I saw the regatta." She looked upon the medalled ponies, and Hercules in his Wonderbolt uniform and happily gasp "You look all look splendid."

"Just to be expected from my team." Captain Star said walking up "And I am proud to say we have a new recruit." He stepped out the way and Grampus walked up in his own Star Ceremonial Uniform, he turned to Captain Star and saluted him. The captain returned "From one former Naval Pony to another, it shall be an honour to have you with us." And there was much rejoicing.

The Star Ponies then returned to Bridle City Port to party away the last day of the year and wait for Celestia to raise the sun on the new year. New beginnings and new adventures for every-pony everywhere.

Comments ( 5 )

I've attempted to adapt TTTE stories into MLP settings. If this interests you, PM me.

Where are “Quarantine”, “Ghosts”, “Jinxed”, and “Bigg Freeze”?

9329628
I couldn't really think of a good way to adapt those episodes to fit what I had established and changed for this story.

Quarantine I didn't want Bruke and Blair sending OJ to the glue factory, too insensitive and sending him to a retirement home does have the same urgency.

Ghost I couldn't think of what to have instead of the ghost tugs and the galleon. I wondered about windegos and a sea monster. But I just didn't think it would work.

Jinxed I felt would be an almost repeat of Appleloosa's Most Wanted and I couldn't think of an ending for Boomer.

Bigg Freeze Again I wasn't sure how to adapt it. Also I don't really think is the true last episode timeline wise due to the winter, I feel it should be either before Ghost or between it and Upriver.

9329856
I see.

In all honesty, I feel Bigg Freeze should be the final episode. That’s just my opinion, you understand.

10486223
No worries. It's a good story, by all means.

Login or register to comment