• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 587 Views, 15 Comments

Bridle City Port - Magi Tail Welkin



The Star Ponies are the power behind the docks and waterways that make up Bridle City Port.

  • ...
 15
 587

Chapter 8: Munitions

To run a wagon way company of ponies you must be prepare to take on any job. One of the most difficult and dangerous was handling the big naval munition trains.

On these occasions the Navy was allowed into port and given and an area to load from, on this one the area of the old dock the steel company left since their move, where Pulley operated Big Mickey got used.

Hercules finished escorting the naval train, pulled by the locomotive "Quiet Chimera", from the base up the coast. He generally handled the escort since his become a Wonderbolt reverse, usually a familiar and safe routine, but recent storms made the journey rough.

And if not enough, Hercules would have to suffer Bluenose the officious Royal Equestrian Naval Officer. An average size grey Earth Pony with a blue strip down his nose. He marched up to the large Pegasus "Attention. Attention." He barked "You Hercules."

"Attention nothing," smoothed Hercules "I'm finished here old darling."

"Oh, no you don't. Not till I check things out."

"Check all you like sweetheart, I'm needed elsewhere.", Bluenose straightened up and peered at him "You're under Navy jurisdiction, obey orders and wait till I've made my inspection.", Hercules scowled at him "I am under jurisdiction, Captain Star's and the Wonderbolts, a little wake washer like you doesn't tell me what to do.", Bluenose laughed "We'll see about that laddie."

Hercules spread his wings out and took off. Must too Bluenose's annoyance and blustering "Stay right where you are, that is an order.", Hercules ignored this and flew off, he even waved a hoof at the naval pony saying "Toodle-oo."

Bluenose stared agape before muttering "Upstart civilian." And then shouted "I'll get you in naval convoy one day and I'll teach you a lesson or two. And you'll know what orders are all about."

As Hercules flew away he spotted OJ rolling a stripe tape on the edge of a jetty so he decided to have a talk. He landed as OJ tied a rope secure, "Yuck!" Hercules said glancing at the sidings with the naval personnel "That Bluenose, he's orders mad. Orders come before common sense in naval terms. I can see why Captain Star left when Ten Bits was born."

OJ nodded "I've had a barmy with him too Hercules." He pointed to the line of cones with the tape he rolled out along to tops "Keep those cones in line he shouts." He shook his head "As if I haven't done this job every naval exercise. Report to me when you've finished he says. Thinks I'm too old for this he does." The elderly pony looked to the train and saw crates and their content being loaded. OJ narrowed his eyebrows "Hey, do you know what they're doing? They're loading firework munitions and battery crystals onto the same train. Dangerous workmanship that is."

Hercules shrugged and took off again "Well OJ my dear I'm going to have me a bit of a rest at the Bridge Café. Been a hard escort and I feel a bit low. Could do with the cute waitresses cheering me up."

OJ waved his crewmember off while rolled his eyes, Hercules always acted the Ladies-stallion, when he heard a familiar rhythmic trotting and braced himself.

Bluenose passed and glanced to him "Keep them in line, straight as a row of marines. I'll check them after my inspection.", OJ groaned "We should work together not fight each other. That's the very foundation of Equestria. Never fought when I was a foal."

Bluenose meanwhile came up to the fire station and marched up to the fire pony with fire engine, Bluenose made himself large "Ahoy. Ahoy there. Oi you, red thing." He said commenting on the fire pony's bright red coat, the Naval Officer continued "Collect a fire engine and proceeded to the fire practice area now!"

The fire pony didn't move "I'm standing by waiting for orders to proceed to the old dock.", Bluenose stepped closer and glared at him "And those orders are cancelled. And I'm in charge. Fire practice now and don't leave till I tell you, do I make myself clear? Now move, fast as a flame, fast as a flame!"

The fire pony narrowed his eyes and frowned his eyebrows "Aye-aye," he then said "sir" with a small hint of venom.


In the reaction room of the Star Building Captain Star existed his room floating a clipboard with his magic "Right Star Ponies. We're on servicing naval manoeuvres again," he continued while his employees rolled their eyes and moaned and groaned "OJ is setting up barriers in the old dock area. Remember no shortcuts, use to the official entry." He then chuckled "You all know the Navy.", they nodded and muttered to one another, the captain spoke "Don't grumble it's a good regular contract. Just get on with it. Your loads are firework munitions, you're lucky, Captain Zero's company have got the proper explosive fireworks, so give them a wide berth. Do I make myself clear Warrior? No powerful slipstreams."

Warrior simply smiled "I don't make powerful slipstreams Captain Star. No sir." The other gave groans and laughs, Captain Star himself chuckled "Afraid I can't take the risk. Daily garbage detail for you."

Top Hat groaned and muttered "This means we'll have Bluenose faffing around us. I can't stand this pony. What a terrible bore he is with his orders," he glanced around at the other "isn't he?"

Warrior smirked "You do the garbage detail then."

Top Hat's monocle fell out; he would have said something as Warrior left the room but Captain Star cut in "Less talk from you Top Hat or you will find yourself on garbage.", the other laughed, Ten Bits grinned at his father. Top Hat placed his monocle back into place while saying "That is not funny. I would ruin my image.", the others again laughed much louder.

"Okay crew," Captain Star called still grinning "stow it! Top Hat,"

"Yes?"

"Car float work with Frank and Eddie you for, and don't argue, just go."

Top Hat nodded and left muttered "Do I have to earn a living with his motley crew?"

Once he'd gone the remaining pony groaned again, Big Jock muttered something. Ten Bits walked up closer "Hey Dad," with two ponies who already knew he could speak informally "we're just about had enough of Top Hat's insults he more trouble than he's worth."

"Aye," Sunshine said grinned "and you once said that wasn't very much didn't you Ten Bits."

Captain Star grinned but rolled his eyes at the two colts banter, he turned to his son "Ten Bits go to Lucky's, pick up the new Star brand tanker wagon and take it to the brewery, the Navy wants a supply of the Golden Russet's new Cider Beer for the officer's mess in at the base. Get it's filled and take it to the naval yard." He then grinned "You can get some apple juice for yourself while you’re there."

Ten Bits nodded and gave a salute while grinning "Right sir." And he trotted, almost galloped off. Golden Russet, one of the extended Apple Family, and very kind to Ten Bits whenever he came to the family brewery. Last time he'd been there was when Princess Twilight Sparkle came to discuss the Summer Sun Celebrations and Applejack from Apple-Smith family of Sweet Apple Arches of Ponyville, and the Element of Honesty entertained both him and her cousin.

After his son disappeared the captain chuckled and turned to the newest of the Star Ponies "Sunshine, go to the canal and help Mighty Moe with his crane, they've finished the work on the bridge."

"Alright, aye, good. I like Mighty Moe.", Captain Star walked up to the last Star Pony in the room and patted him of the shoulder "Big Jock thanks for winning us the steel contract."

"That's okay sir.", the captain nodded with a smiled "You pick up the last girder barge then back here."


The Z Manes were Upriver at the fireworks factory. There to collect explosive fireworks for the Navy. The difference between this and real firework was that these focus more on the explosion itself, not to look pleasing to the eye. The only local ponies allow to use them were the logging ponies and of course Billy Shoepack, those who understood the dangers involved. Dangerous the operation may have been, but worth a great deal of money to Captain Zero, because of this and the recent disasters of incompetent contract losing, the captain gave Zorran full authority of the operation.

The de facto leader finished yoking himself to his wagon and turned to the other two Pegasi who finished fastening themselves and put on his serious expression "Now listen you two. Towing this lot is the tricky bit. Zak your off first. Go slow and don't take any nonsense from the Star mob. Show them explosive don't scare us. If they come to close just…"

"Blow them up?" Zak asked excited.

"Yeah but with your warning horn dummy." He pointed to the small trumpet on Zak's yoke before continuing "No silly games okay? You don't have to be that brave.", Zak was about to say something else when Zorran walked up and snatched the cigar from Zak's mouth and threw it into the river "No smoking got it? One little burning cinder and you could go up.", Zak nodded and moved off seemingly unaffected by the removal of his cigar "Okay Zorran, sir."

As Zak start slowly Zorran continued "And watch out for the naval twerp Bluenose. You job is to deliver that wagon directly to Naval Locomotive One, Quiet Chimera. If Bluenose gives you different orders ignore him and refer him to me, just keep it steady. Keep flying those danger flags." He called pointing to the red flags fluttering on the wagons.

Zak flapped his wing to acknowledge. Zorran nodded and turned to the other Pegasus "Zebedee, next."

Zebedee seem unsure as his eyes shifted and he circled a hoof on the ground. Finally, he looked up "That Bluenose told me he was in charge and that I must obey orders."

"You are. Mine, remember that.", Zebedee gulped and started of slowly after Zak "I'll remember that Zorran, sir."

Zorran narrowed his eyes and gave a small grin 'Each your heart out Star Ponies. This trips worth twenty garbage barges, ferry trips or girder tow.' He chuckled before taking a deep breath and began moving 'If we don't get blown up. Right easy does it.' He slowly joined the other two Pegasi, and Zip and Zug formed a front and back guard checking left and right to see if anyone would try and steal the, dangerous, but valuable load.


A little while later Ten Bits sat on a picnic table outside the Apple Brewery, a glass of apple juice, with a straw, next to him. He sat beside a tank bolted onto a flat wagon, on it the word Star.

On the table sat Golden Russet, like all the rest of the Apple Family an Earth Pony, golden yellow coat, red-brown mane, with an apple press cutie mark. He spoke with Ten Bits "You know I'm not sure I can make the next Apple Family Reunion, since I learnt we've got a foal on the way, travelling down to Ponyville…", a military bark cut him off "Ahoy. Ahoy there." The two turned as Bluenose came matching in pulling his own wagon and he look straight at Ten Bits "Ahoy you with the tanker. You're in my way and you're idle. I don't like idle ponies. So, move and move fast that is an order."

A scraping sounded out and the two sitting ponies saw Bluenose's wagon scraping into the Star tanker, Ten Bits spoke up "Oi. Naval twit, you scraped a brand-new wagon, deliberately."

"I gave an order to move out of my way." He huffed "This harbour is the most undisciplined I've ever worked in. If I order you to jump, you jump. And that wagon is conscripted for a naval propose, and if I want to scrape it I will, I'll scrape you if you don't get to your post on time."

"I'm always on time, and you know it."

"You'd better be or I'll have you clasped in chains."

"Begging your pardon Mister Bluenose." Golden Russet frowning his eyebrows "But on the subject of orders, I heard a solider is able to refuse an order given if they don't think it's the right thing to do."

"Now where did you get that idea from civilian?"

"From my cousin, Applejack, and she heard it from Flash Sentry. Heard of him."

"I don't have time to play guessing games, who is this Flash Sentry, and what gives him the right to give such ridiculous ideas."

Ten Bits remembering Flash from the visit spoke "Flash Sentry is the personal guard to Princess Twilight Sparkle and Captain of the Everfree Guard.", Golden nodded "And Applejack, the Element of Honesty, told me Flash used to be under the command Prince Shining Armour."

Bluenose stood agape, his mouth twitching trying to come up with a response. Instead he closed his mouth and turned to look away before starting to move off "It's about time you fancy Stars began living up to you name. Go moving. Mobilisation, that is what I want. Mobilisation." As he moved off the wagon he dragged continued scraping against the tanker, Ten Bits shouted "Oi. Oi you come back here. Oi you just scraped it again.", Bluenose ignored this and continued on. Ten Bits shook his head and an annoyed scowl crossed his face "Z Manes are bad enough. But Bluenose, he's something else.", Golden Russet nodded.


Night came down first. Dock lights helped Pulley and the other dockworker ponies help the naval ponies transfer the explosive fireworks to the Quiet Chimera's vans. The Z Manes stood clear, all relieved of their dangerous loads except Zorran, whose wagon they started unloading, one last minute slip could mean disaster. Zorran gulped "I'll be glad to get rid of this lot."

Another voice called through the blackness "Attention. Attention."

Zorran rolled his eyes "Oh no here we go."

"I'm coming alongside." Bluenose barked "Move aside. That dark orange Pegasus move!", Zorran quickly turned to the naval pony with frowned eyebrow "Hey what? You mean me mister, do you?"

"Yes, you mister, move that wagon, my load's first."

OJ, who had remained at the old docks to look after the makeshift barriers he'd been ordered to put up earlier in the day, looked to Bluenose with the same annoyance as Zorran "You shouldn't move a wagon that's being unloaded."

Bluenose ignored this warning and turned to the elderly pony "Get pensioned off old timer, this is my pool I say what goes.", OJ sneered.

Zebedee found the exchange amusing "Go and draw your petition you're past it." And started laughing until Zorran snapped at his crewmember "Shut it, the grey mane's right." He turned to Bluenose "We're not moving that wagon mister."

"I want these battery crystals unloaded now." He looked up to Pulley in the cab of Big Mickey "Oi you gawky, drop you hook into this wagon. Leave the munitions right now. I'm in charge so obey orders!"

Zak, standing as far back from the munitions as possible lit one of his cigar and laughed.

Another voice sounded, as Ten Bits towed his tanker up and stopped beside Bluenose "Here what's going on? Schedule says I'm next.", the officer turned to the teenage Earth Pony "Now don't you start laddie. Wait your turn!"

"Watch him!" OJ called.

"It is my turn next; you should know that. I'm coming alongside, this tanker needs to be unloaded I've got orders too."

"Whose orders?"

"Captain Star's order. I'm coming alongside."

"Ah ha we'll see about that." He quickly started moving "Now just move aside and let me through."

"Bluenose," OJ called "stay back, that wagon is unsafe."

"Do not give me orders. When I want to move, I move." He quickly came up to the explosives wagon "I told you to move that!" His wagon crashed into the explosive wagon. A few battery crystals, crystal charge with magical electricity, flew out of his wagon. They crashed onto a crate in Zorran's wagon. It discharged. A fire started. Bluenose turned to the other "Now look what's happened!"

Zorran spoke first "You dummy!"

OJ called to everyone "Get moving quick."

Bluenose said otherwise "I'm in charge, stay where you are." He barked seemingly ignoring the inferno now beginning to engulf Zorran's wagons. Said Z Mane quickly responded "No way! I know what's in that wagon." He spread his wings and looked to everyone, Z Mane, Star Pony, Naval and dockworker "Get clear the whole things going to blow." As he flew off Bluenose called back "Stay where you are!"

Pulley charged his horn and used a voice amplifying spell and shouted to everyone in the old docks "Emergency, emergency. Clear the area immediately!"

Bluenose still didn't seem to see sense "Stay still and obey orders!", just as he spoke the wagon started exploding.

OJ ignored this and ran backwards calling to anyone "Move out. Move out save yourselves." He looked to the teenage colt "Ten Bits cut your rein and pull free."

"My wagon's clear but Bluenose his blocking the way."

"I know what to do. Stay till and…"

"Oh, come on Bluenose cast off and let's get out of here.", Bluenose tugged at this reins and grimaced "I can't!"

"Try harder go on."

"My leg gone!"

"OJ his leg's broken I'm going in to help."

Surprising Zorran spoke up "Don't be a fool Ten Bits get out of there!"

OJ nodded "He's right move!", Zorran continued sneering at Bluenose "He's got himself into this leave him.", OJ agreed "It's too dangerous Ten Bits."

Ten Bits however unyoked Bluenose and slung the naval ponies arm over his shoulder "You coming with me Bluenose."

From his perch, Pulley headed for the ladder to get down still using his spell. "Keep going Ten Bits. Keep going. The train is on fire. It'll blow any second!"

Ten Bits nodded and started trotting Bluenose away much to the naval officer's rampant disapproval "Don't you move me. I've got my orders, and those orders say I am loading battery crystals."

"You can load all you want after I get you out of here. Hey OJ what should I do with him."

"Put him at the back, out the way. We don't want any more of his orders."

"Oi! This is a munity! Take me back immediately! Obey order. Orders is orders!"

Warning sirens sounded drowning out Bluenoses blustering.

Suddenly a bunch of fireworks fell out of a van and onto the crates around the crane called Big Mickey.

OJ called "Move out everyone it's going over."

"Stay where you are!" Pulley called having reached the bottom "I'll move it clear."

Zorran muttered to everyone "Let's hope he gets it right otherwise he's crush us."

Pulley charged his horn and began weakening the wooden structures of the crane jetty furthest away. The dock collapsed sideways. Big Mickey fell, the arm hit the most solid quayside, crumpled and groaned. Then feel into the water and sunk. Nothing remained of the jetty, and no-pony could see Pulley anywhere. Only some bubbling in the water.

Both OJ and Ten Bits lowed their heads, the elderly pony spoke first "It took real skill to make that move.", Ten Bits nodded "He save us all for sure." He sighed then returned to the rest of the disaster, which calmed it first victim, "But the fire's getting out of control.", OJ nodded and turned towards the city "They would have heard the siren for sure. The fire ponies will reach us any minute. I just wish they were here now."

Zak, almost finishing his cigar, and surprisingly fast, spoke up "Fire ponies won't be much good. Look at that train." Indeed, there was little hope at saving the train now a ragging inferno still exploding.


Down at one of the inner-city stations Eddie looked up at the fireworks flying and nudged Frank and Top Hat having a cup of tea at the station café "Some-pony's having a dockside celebration!", Top Hat turned to look at the colourful display "Oh no, if there was a party I would have been invited."

Frank scoffed "Perhaps they don't need a long necked high-brow.", the two mules laughed and Top Hat rolled his eyes grinning "Very droll. Certainly, wouldn't want lowlifes like you there."

A loud ring bell echoed through the air and the three, plus the station staff went to the exist. Three fire ponies galloped passed, two pulled the fire engines and a mare stood on the back of one ringing the bell, the red stallion pulling the largest engine shouted "Emergency, Emergency. Get the civilians to remain inside and safe, then follow on Top Hat. Might need all hooves."

Sunshine galloped behind them and glanced at his crewmate "Yeah, follow on Top Hat fire at the old dock."

As the station staff muttered to each other and headed as far inside from the fire as possible, the green Unicorn raised a hoof to called back "Love to join you but these two are in a right state." He nodded to the two mules.

Eddie smirked "Always our fault hey Frank?"

"Never is hey Eddie.", Eddie nudged Top Hat "You could take us along. Liked to see a fire."

Top Hat stepped out and turned to look straight at them and spoke "The only fire you're going to see, I can tell you this for a fact," he then pointed to two railcar floats in the nearby canal "is the fire I will set under your tracks, if you don't get to safety.", the two mules faked "oh" groans and moans before Eddie started laughing.


Back at the old dock the gathered ponies could only watch helplessly as fire and explosions from the train spread to dangerous chemicals on the dockside.

Zebedee stared wide-eyed and mouth open "They were really big explosions."

"There's more to come." Zorran said "Just you wait. Quiet Chimera was nearly fully loaded before that naval twit arrived. What's aboard will rip her apart."

Ten Bits shook his head "Isn't there anything we can do?"

Zorran turned and raised an eyebrow "Like what dummy? Anyway, you've done your bit. Just sit back and watch."

"But it's spreading. That'll mean the hut where Puffer lives in will go up.", the dragon slept in a hut next to the old docks. Apparently, dragons could sleep through anything.

"You right Ten Bits." OJ said "Come on shout and warn Puffer."

In his hut the overabundance of noise finally awoke the dragon. He poked his head out of the window of his hut and his eye widened. Not at the fire, he could live through that, no the explosions startled him. Quickly he gathered up as much of his horde as possible into a sack and burst through the door.

An explosion blasted in front of him. For a moment, no-pony saw anything. Then a grey pair of wings wafted the smoke away and the dragon continued his flight.

A building behind the hut blew. The flames raced across the docks and surrounded Ten Bit's wagon.

"That's all we needed." OJ shouted "The cider's caught fire!"

Ten Bits frowned his eyebrows and stood determinedly straight "And that tank's fully loaded." He started moving "I must try and get it away from the city."

"Don't do it! Stay back!" OJ called "If that blows it'll take you with it."

"We've already had one death, if I can reduce number of future death I have to at least try."


Elsewhere Warrior and Lord Stinker pulled the rag-and-bone pony's garbage barge to the city dump. The messy Pegasus looked up at the bright lights "What's that?"

"What's what?" Warrior said looking at where Mister Wings looked at.

"That." Grubber pointed with a wing. Then Warrior walked into a lamppost.

"Be careful." Still since they'd stopped it gave Lord Stinker a chance to have a better look "It's a red sky. Uh red sky at night sailor's delight."
Warrior turned to his friend with frowned eyebrows "The sun went down ages ago." Another thought struck him "And that's north not west." He glanced at the red tank on his back and untied himself from the barge. He galloped off shouting "Fire!"


Ten Bits pulled the reins on the wagon but they came apart. He got close to it "Boy it's really hot. There's no chance of getting a line on it."
Zebedee turned to Zorran as they observed the teenage colt's effort "What does he think he's doing."

"Don't know." Zorran said "But rather him than me."

Ten Bits lowered his head and butted the wagon "Better push it. Got to get it as far from the city as possible."

A ringing bell echoed through the air and OJ turned seeing the fire ponies arrive he chuckled "It's about time you lot turned up. Give Ten Bits a hoof he burning up."

The red stallion turned and saw the burning tanker wagon. After talking with Golden Russet, a couple of hours before he knew what it contained "Get that thing out of here quick!" He called to Ten Bits, the light blue Earth Pony turned to him "What do you think I was doing? I'm not here keep warm you know."

The red stallion ignored this and went down to business as he passed the Z Manes he spoke "You lot stay back.", Zorran scoffed "I wasn't think of moving anyway mister."

The stallion then spoke with OJ "Whose responsible for this then?"

"Him behind me." The elderly Earth Pony said pointing back to the agape and twitching grey pony sitting still with the thousand-yard stare "Bluenose."

"Oh him. Him who gives all the orders? Well he won't be giving anymore now, he's in shock."

Another building blew, and another nearby started smoking. The red stallion turned to the brown Earth Pony with the smaller fire engine "Blazing Saddles start dousing that building it's going to blow any second. Sunshine help him.", the small white Unicorn followed the black maned fire pony called Blazing Saddles "On me way sir." He called. Blazing called as well "Starting the pumps Jupiter."

As Sunshine made his way he saw Ten Bits pushing the tanker, the colt looked to his friend "I'm taking this out of the city Sunshine. Take care, watch those flames back there.", Sunshine using his magic pulled out the hose and looked at Ten Bits "Hey what you've got there looks far more dangerous than me, hey that's a bomb stallion! Just leave it there!"

"I'll be okay."

Jupiter, the red stallion shouted "Cut the chat! Saddles, Sunshine, get the water going and swing the hose around the building."

"Yes sir!" they both called.

Out of the smoky mist Warrior came charging shouting "Fire, fire!"

Jupiter looked up unloading the hoses from his engine "Just in time Warrior. Use your fire horse on that barge and the oil yard, quick!", as the yellow maned Earth Pony passed he said "Yes sir. Right away sir. I'll do my best sir."

Zorran scoffed "There's two things wrong with that order mister. Warrior don't move fast. His lights may be on upsides but no one in." The other Z Manes laughed but Jupiter spoke "At least he's in there Zorran." He turned to the mare at the pumps of the large fire engine "Water on Vesta."
"Water on Jupiter." She called back turning the large tap wheel. The water streamed out and Jupiter reared up so he could douse the flames.
Sunshine called as he and Blazing Saddle continued on the building "Hey the building is on fire now. We can't seem to stop it…" the building went up and the two ducked away from the debris.

Jupiter gritted his teeth "Just keep pouring water on it. Stop the spread! Stop the spread!" he shouted as the explosions headed towards the oil yard and to Warrior who had put the barge fire and stood by Puffer. Jupiter looked to the yellow maned Earth Pony "Warrior, get out of there, it's going to blow."

"I can control it sir don't worry." He called as the oil yard started blowing up "Wow!" he uttered. A large piece a tank crash close by Warrior let out a surprised sounded "That bit almost hit us."

Jupiter called again as the last tank blew "Move back Warrior. Move back."

"No sir. I got to look after Puffer. He's a mighty valuable and a good friend. Got to look after you friends you know."

Jupiter smiled and nodded "Okay Warrior." He glanced back "Here Zorran, give me a hoof with the extra hose. We got to try and save that train.", Zorran walked up and took hold of the extra hosepipe "Can't see this hose doing much good mister. But you're in charge."
Zebedee grinned "Go on Zorran. Show them who's a real hero."


Out on the coastal road a few miles away from the old dock and outside the city limits Ten Bits continued pushing the flaming wagon, now he danger to worry 'This is getting too dangerous.' Then he started coughing 'The tank's blistering badly, oh no it's starting to smoke. It's going to go any second.' He started to back up 'I've got to get out of here.'

BOOM!


The far-off explosion caught Sunshine's attention his eyes widened "Ten Bits! It's Ten Bits. The cider tank. I must…"

"Stay put Sunshine." OJ called with a sad face "Your needed here."

"But he might need help."

"Just stay where you are."

As the word left OJ's lips the last of the van exploded, several the fireworks, already lit fell into the cab of the Quiet Chimera.

Jupiter turned to Zorran "Move off. She's going to blow any moment now. There's nothing more we can do.", Zorran nodded and landed, having used his wings to give him height to douse the flames. Jupiter stepped back and looked around "Stand clear every-pony. Stand clear. She's going. Water off Vesta!"

The final explosion tore the locomotive to pieces, much to their horror the boiler spilt apart with a metallic roar befitting the monster of the engine's name. To Bluenose it looked a nightmare. Finally, a blast escaped the funnel and the smokebox burst sending its door flying into the water. The only thing left standing, the twisted frames, melted wheels and shredded pipes of the Quiet Chimera's corpse.

OJ sighed as Warrior, Sunshine and Blazing Saddles finished with the last lingering flames. He shook his head "Just look at the state of the dockside."

"Yeah." Jupiter nodded wrapping the hoses up "That nothing compared with what could have happened. If Sunshine and Warrior hadn't helped us contained the fire it could have easily spread to the city." He turned to the two Star Ponies and to Zorran "Well done all of you."

Out of the smoky mists came a familiar figure and a slightly disappointed voice "Oh dear." Said Top Hat "Seems I'm too late to save the day. What a pity."

Zorran gave a bark of laugh "Well, well, well. Get a drift of that will you lads. Top Hat all dressed up and nowhere to go." The Z Manes laughed.


Morning came. Sunshine looked out toward the costal road. He turned to OJ "Ten Bits should have been back by now." A tear fell down his check. OJ held his head low and placed a hoof on the white Unicorn's shoulder "We must all salute a very brave pony." He began, even the three Z Manes looked down slightly as OJ continued "Who save us from…"

Another voice called through the mist from the coastal "Hello, any-pony there?"

Sunshine narrowed his eyes "Is that Grampus?" The shadows of two ponies appeared. Sunshine eyes widened "Who's that Grampus has got…" then they became clearer, Sunshine couldn't believe it "It's Ten Bits!" he ran to his friend but stopped just short of hugging him "Ten Bit's what a mess!", his friend's coat blacked, a back leg held up, more than likely broken, and his eyes shut tight. Sunshine cried with join "What happened?"

"Well," Ten Bits said with a smile "just after I started backing away it blew to smithereens. Nearly took me with it. Several burns. Shrapnel in my leg. The flash gave me spots in my eyes, they haven't gone yet so I can see a thing. The ringing in my ears have worn off. I didn't know if I could make it back. But thanks to Grampus I did."

Sunshine wiped his eyes and hugged his friend "Well you're the luckiest pony around."

"And probably the bravest too." OJ laughed.

The small grey Pegasus took hold of Bluenose's leg and put it of his shoulder much like he did with Ten Bits and he chuckled "Well I've been used for a few strange jobs before. But never have I brought in a switcher," he said using a boat term to describe Ten Bit's occupation "and taken away a twitcher." He laughed at his play on words as he helped the still shocked Bluenose away, accompanied by the other naval ponies. They would take him the local hospital. And the Star Ponies took Ten Bits there too.

The accident was caused by a few hasty words, and bad temper. Orders maybe orders but they don't supersede common sense. From a certain point of view Bluenose was right in his way. As were Ten Bits and OJ right in theirs'. But common sense from all three would have prevented the fire starting. Always respect fire. If you don't it will destroy you, your surrounds and your friends.