• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 586 Views, 15 Comments

Bridle City Port - Magi Tail Welkin



The Star Ponies are the power behind the docks and waterways that make up Bridle City Port.

  • ...
 15
 586

Chapter 7: High Tide

Bridle City Port never ceased working. Operations carried out throughout the night would continue in the early mornings. Goods stacked high along the docksides were brought into port by road and by rail, the carts and wagons were then reloaded with cargo from incoming shipping for delivery to inland Equestrian cities and towns throughout the length and breadth of the Kingdom. Good travelled to and from the Crystal Empire, to Canterlot, Trottingham, Ponyville, Appleloosa, Las Pegasus and Vanhoover.

Everyone and every method of transport played its part in moving goods into and out of the port. The work of the wagon ways ponies formed an important link in the chain, work went on non-stop and around the clock, all day every day.

The life blood of the whole operation were various sources, from the magically and electrically, to the wood supplied from Upriver and coal, most locomotive use this dirty stuff and without it a key part of industry would have ground to a halt.

Around six-thirty on one of these busy days most of the Star crew sat around the recreation room. Top Hat sat at a table reading the morning newspaper. Beside him Warrior tinkered with some backpack contraption with a red tank and a hosepipe. The green Unicorn glanced at the clumsy Earth Pony "What in Celestia's name is that your messing with Warrior?"

"It's a portable firehose with tank."

"I guessed that Warrior, just checking, but why do you have that?"

"Don't you know, I volunteered as a part-time fire pony. Need to keep this with me at all time, never know what might happen."

Before Top Hat could make any comment the outside door to the room opened and Big Jock walked in covered in soot and ash after working all night. The snobbish pony straighten himself and looked down on his crewmember "You know it never fails to amaze me. Every day I see something new. Today it's the sight of a walking sack of coal no less." He started laughing and the other Star Ponies chuckled as well.

Big Jock did not look amused "If you'd been shifting coal you'd be dirty."

Top Hat started smelling the air "At least you don't smell that something." And laughed again.

Big Jock narrowed his eyebrows "Look here Top Hat…"

"Cause do don't smell Top Hat." Warrior said smiling and shaking his head "Coal don't have a smell.", Top Hat smirked and rolled his eyes "I know it doesn't Warrior but he could clean himself up before coming to join us." He closed his eyes and put his hoof to his heart "We Star Ponies have a reputation to keep up." He opened his eyes again but kept them narrow and arched his head up making him stare further down at his colleague "Even you Warrior after a day in the garbage yards don't look too scruffy."

Big Jock turned to look at Top Hat "All you worry about his keeping that piece of glass in your eye clean.", the Unicorn narrowed his eyebrow "Not only my monocle all of me."

"You always get out of nasty jobs, don't you?"

Captain Star opened his office door and walked out slightly annoyed "Alright cut the back chat." He caught Top Hat and Warrior still laughing at Big Jock and responded "At least one Star Pony already been working."

"Ha," Top Hat burst out "well we can see that."

"Now that's enough Top Hat. You go and exercise you horn with Car Ferry duties with Frank and Eddie, then help Grubber Wings with his garbage barge work."

Warrior grinned and glanced at his crewmember "That'll be nice for you."

"Garbage! Me? Do I have to put up with this?"

"I have to put up with you Top Hat." Big Jock muttered, the other agreed and Captain Star frowned his eyebrows and tapped his hoof on the ground "Top Hat why do I always have an argument with you. Now move out." He clapped his together and shooed him out "Come on."

"I don't see why…", Big Jock interrupted him "Get on with it."

"Oh well here goes." He trudged out and muttered "Really, some Ponies are so tiresome."

Sunshine laughed "You know to be fair to him, he does work as hard as we do. Really."

"We know." OJ nodded "It's just his attitude gets too much sometimes."

Captain Star straightened himself and continued with the day's orders "OJ load up the coupling rods from Lucky's Yard and take it to the express engine in the station sidings. Sunshine, Ten Bits needs your help at the storage depo, when you've finished go help OJ.", as the young Unicorn walked to the door OJ sat up and spoke to him "Don't waste anytime Sunshine, I'll need all the help I can get with those coupling rods."

"Okay OJ, will be there."

Once the two left the captain turned his attention to the two remained Earth Ponies "Warrior, Big Jock. You're job's the most important. You know we're competing for the steel company's contract. Show that Star Ponies can handle big steel loads better than Z Manes. And Warrior see you get you load across the bay without any mishaps. Be careful, don't forget it's a very high tide today, don't try anything rash. Off you go." And the captain returned to his office.

Big Jock turned to Warrior "Right, quick wash down, then will show those Z Manes, hey Warrior.", his friend grinned "Yeah we will." He slung his backpack firehose onto his back "I'll hose you down as we travel along Big Jock, that'll save a bit of time hey?" he chuckled.

It was a very high tide, highest in years.

When Sunshine arrived to help Ten Bits he found his friend and the Ponies working at the storage depo contended with a flooded quayside, the water level over a foot high, they almost floated. The team would have to work twice as hard to save their wagonloads and the other items stored within the waterlogged building.


On the other side of the harbour as part of the reconstruction programme of the old docks, the steel company, locally suppling for Lucky's Yard and several constructions works throughout the Kingdom, prepare to move to its new works across the bay.

Pulley, a Unicorn, operated the yard's largest crane, affectionately called Big Mickey. He only just finished loading a very tall and heavy bridge section onto a barge, now loaded and very to move off. Zak and Zebedee of the Z Manes handled this operation.

Zak exhaled a large puff of his cigar smoke and glanced around before catching sight of a familiar pair "Well, well, well. The Star Ponies.", he brushed the ashes from the front of his cigar as he spoke to Big Jock and Warrior trotted up to them "Here, what time do you called this hey? You'd needn't have bothered. There's no work for you, we've got it all sown up." He suavely placed his cigar back to his mouth.

Zebedee simply nodded "Yeah. You said it Zak."

Big Jock scoffed "We've as much right to go for this contract as you have."

Zak did not look bothered "Think you'll do a better job big mouth? You ain't got no chance. Three against one see, no chance."

Warrior frowned his eyebrows in confusion "What do you mean three against one? There's only two of you."

"Well," Zebedee said "you don't do much to get in our way Warrior so we count you on our side." He snickered "Can't stop here all day, we've work to do." Both him and Zak started moving but Zak, started coughing slightly and wheezed as he said "So long, losers."

Once they were out of earshot Big Jock turned to Warrior "Zak doesn't sound too healthy Warrior." He then backed up and called up to the highly position crane pony "Hey Pulley, how about a really fast load up?"

"I'm ready for you." Pulley called down "I heard what they said, hope you beat them to it."

"We will no problem."

After one of the fastest loading Pulley ever did, Warrior and Big Jock harnessed themselves to the rope of their barges, Big Jock looked to his crewmate "You be careful Warrior, that's some high load you've got there, just take it easy. We'll catch those Z Manes you see if we don't.”

Immensely proud of his work Pulley called to them "You're all loaded up guys, good luck."

"You can bet on it." Big Jock called as they started forward "Thanks Pulley."

A little way down the bay the Z Mane had stopped. Zebedee looked concerned as Zak stood head low coughing so hard, Zebedee thought his lungs would drop out his mouth, the lighter maned Pegasus shook his head "Told you about your smoking habit Zak. You should have seen a doctor."

Controlling his coughing Zak held a hoof up and said "Nothing wrong with me." He stood up straight again "Away I've got an idea." He glanced back seeing the two Star Ponies nearing them "To fool those two, listen." He pointed to another route along the quayside "If we cut through the canal we'll get there first. Got to, if they follow us they can't get passed cause it's not wide enough, right?"

Zebedee grinned "Brilliant. I don't know how you do it. Hey go, wait till Captain Zero hears how we beat them."

Big Jock looked as they slowly came up to the Z Manes, he smiled and nodded to them and spoke to Warrior "See we're catching them." Then his eyes narrowed and he saw the two untie their yokes and walk over a bridge to an adjacent dock "Hello what are they up too?"

"There heading for the canal." Warrior said slightly surprised and confused.

"I know that." Big Jock muttered. His eyes went wide "That's it, their taking a shortcut!"

"Alright," Warrior said beginning to turn towards the Z Manes "we follow them.", Big Jock took hold of Warrior's reins and pulled him back to their route "No we won't. They won't get through its hide tide."

"So, what?"

"Bridges Warrior, bridges."

"So, what?"

"High tide, high load."

"Oh yeah, bridges."

"Ten out of ten, they won't get that load under, will they? Let them go, they'll have to come back and we'll be out of sight."

Several bridges spanned across the canal. The lowest one carried the railway.

The Z Manes failed to connect their tall load with the tide, the highest of the season.

Into this disaster waiting to happen trotted Top Hat accompanied by both Grubber Wing, also known as Lord Stinker, and twin Mules, named Frank and Eddie, the only thing telling the two apart was Eddie's moustache, they worked for the railway towing wagonloads along the tramways of the port and convenient routes, the canal happened to be one. Because of this the four equines pulled a wide load coming towards the Z Manes in the opposite direction. The load consisted of Frank and Eddie's rail barges, with several rolling stocks upon them and Lord Stinker pulled his daily garbage barge, usually Warrior help the rang-and-bone pony with this work and his usual rounds.

Anyway, due to the wide load the four pulled there would be no way the Z Manes and Top Hat's company could pass each other. When they did come face to face someone would have to go back the way they came.

They first saw each other at the bend leading to the railway bridge, the one with the lowest arch over the canal.

Top Hat stop when he saw the Z Manes and put his hooves in the way of his makeshift team, he made himself taller and hollered an order at the two "Go into the reserve if you please, it is our right of way. I repeat it is our right of way."

Zak argued "We're heavier."

Top Hat replied "There are more of us and more importantly, our load is wider."

The Z Mane still didn't move. Zebedee shouted "You've five seconds to back up."

"What? Well. So, have you then."

"Right." Zak called "Five!"

Eddie nudged the Unicorn "He means it Top Hat.", Frank nodded. Top Hat ignored this "I am coming through. Four."

"So am I." Zebedee hollered back "Three."

"We'll see. Two!"

"One!" Zak shouted and Zebedee charged forward flying, Zak nodded "Get to the bridge fast Zeb and you've got him."

"Watch my dust." Zebedee grinned "That Star's met his match."

Both Zebedee and Top Hat pulled forward with full force. They surged towards each other and the bridge. Lord Stinker being dragged along nudged the Unicorn "Top Hat look at his load." The Pegasus said through his clothes peg. Top Hat glanced up. The top of the bridge section Zebedee pull came nearer and nearer. Top Hat's eyes widened "He's going to hit." He charged his horn "Hold on, I'm teleporting us back.", the flash of Top Hat's magic covered the four of them and they disappeared, them and their barges. The reappeared further back along the canal.
Zebedee grinned and looked back at Zak "He's backed off. Didn't I tell you Zak?"

Zak nodded "Didn't even make a fight of it." He laughed and calmly and suavely manoeuvred his cigar to his mouth. However, he also glanced up. His cigar dropped from his hoof "Oh no. I see why now. The bridge Zeb. Back up. Quick!", Zebedee looked back realising "Oh no. I can't stop it." Even though he tried to drag the barge back, the momentum his flight towing gave it overpowered the pull back. The top of the steel rig hit the bridge and part of it fell off.

Top Hat shook his head "That's real Zero thinking dummy."

Zebedee quickly took off his yoke "I suppose Zak and I'd better go get some help."

As the two Z Mane ran off the way they came a loud whistle sounded. After a moment, it sounded again and louder, the train headed towards them.

Top Hat turned to the Mule Twins "That's a mail train isn't it.", the two nodded and Top Hat inhaled "Oh dear the bridge. Its, its. Wait a minute." He said straightening up quickly "I've got it. If I can get that steel rig under the bridge, maybe it will hold while the train gets across. It's worth a try."
Lord Stinker spoke up "Well do waste time waiting for us to get clear I'm coming with you."

"You'll take that risk Mister Wings?"

"Of course, I will, you mutter on about me being expendable.", Top Hat blinked and curled slight, but still he focused on the matter at hoof.
Top Hat tied his and Lord Stinker's harnesses to the barge with the steel rig and began pulling it back. The needed to work quickly, the train was signalled through and thus no one could stop it. The bridge had been weakened by the accident and pulling the steel rig into place would weaken it further, Top Hat could only hope his idea would work.

Just as they'd gotten it square under the middle of the bridge the train whistling loud like a screaming manticore and charging forth as fast as any Wonderbolt rolled onto the bridge. Passed over the damaged section and the rig. And steam away as if nothing happened.
Top Hat sighed and using his magic pulled out a handkerchief and rubbed his forehead, moving his monocle out of the way as well, "Phew. That was lucky."

Lord Stinker nodded "Well done Top Hat you saved…", a metallic groan filled the air they all looked as the steel rig fell to its side. What they handed considered was the weight of the train pushing the rig and thus the barge further into the canal waters. Thus, the barge listed and sink. Top Hat spoke the thought of the moment "Oh this is terrible."

The bridge lurched down, beams crack. Another whistle sounded. Top Hat's eye widened "Oh no! I know that whistle!"

"It's the goods train." Said Frank and Eddie together.

The bridge lurch down again buckling the rails and beams. Sparks flew. The bridge completely collapsed. The length of it landed on the edge of Lord Stinker's barge.

Top Hat put his hoofs to his face and shook himself "We can't save this one. It's impossible."

"No, it's not." Lord Stinker said harnessing himself to his barge "Help me get the barge under the rail, quick!", Top Hat looked confused before it dawned on him "Oh yes I see." As Top Hat pushed the side of the barge, Lord Stinker pulled. They turned to barge to face the track. Now the bridge and the rail formed a ramp going to the smelly cushion of Lord Stinker's rubbish.

The puffing of the train grew deafening. The blew long. The driver braked hard. Gravity played its part. The engine's wheels scraped the rails, like horseshoes against a blackboard. Plop went the engine. Clunk and splash went the trucks and goods. The driver shook his head as he looked out of the cab window.

Top Hat almost jumped for joy "It's worked Stinker! You're a smelly old genius nothing less!"

Eddie nodded "Took some brain to save that train.", Lord Stinker blushed as his unfurled his wings.

Top Hat bowed slightly "I'll never complain about your smell again."

"Rubbish can be valuable stuff." The rag-and-bone pony said lifting the driver from the cab and putting him safely on the quayside.


Evening came and the tide dropped.

At the storage depo Ten Bits wiped his brow and gave an exhausted sigh "Well that's been a hard day. But all cleared up now."

"Yep," Sunshine said clapping his hooves together "I bet every-pony else had an easy day waiting for the tide to go down.", Ten Bits laughed "Yeah. I bet Top Hat finished helping Lord Stinker then went and rested somewhere quiet."

"Yeah." Sunshine nodded "Somehow he always manages to take it nice and easy."

What a surprise they would get back at the Star Building.


Next day work started on the bridge.

The goods engine did not sustain any serious damage and its trucks and cargo were easily recovered from the canal.

The steel company were not pleased with the damage the Z Manes put on their steel rig. However, things came out alright in the end. The steel company got the contract for repairing the bridge. And Captain Star incurred on difficult in convincing them, the Star Ponies should get the contract for delivering the steel.