• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 587 Views, 15 Comments

Bridle City Port - Magi Tail Welkin



The Star Ponies are the power behind the docks and waterways that make up Bridle City Port.

  • ...
 15
 587

Chapter 6: Warrior

Not long after the spring thaw the plan to demolish the old dock were giving the go ahead, in fact since the Johnny Cuba incident they'd been pushed forward. They started with the abandoned residential area.

Because of the massive amount of work involved both the Star Ponies and Z Manes were in get demand to help pull down derelict buildings, pull the cranes needed, take away the loaded rubble and pull in the wagonloads of stone to make the new foundations. Captain Star needed to use the stronger of his workforce to pull the stone wagon, so he took Warrior of the rubbish work to help Big Jock with the deliveries.

The yellow maned Earth Pony waited at the quarry outside the port as the Rubble Hooves-Pie Rock company filled his wagon. They'd recently put in a conveyor belt to load the stones faster. Rubble Hooves-Pie himself (his relation to the Pie family of the Everfree Kingdom was a complicated matter) called out from his office "Here Warrior. What a promotion!" he laughed "Glad to see you of garbage detail."

"Thanks." The Star Pony called "Big Jock and I'll make a great team. We'll shift this quicker than the Z Manes."

Rubble laughed "I don't doubt it Warrior, but now accidents hay? Give Big Jock a brake."

"Me? I won't have no accidents. Promise." And he pulled forward.

Rubble smiled and shook his head look up at the skies "Right well good luck then Warrior. And remember, be careful."

The Star Pony stopped and looked back at the manager "What?" his cart however didn't stop and rammed into the back of him, he stopped it but he did grunt a bit "Whoops. Cause I'm careful."

Rubble chuckled "I hope that isn't a bad start to the day for you.", Warrior waved it off and started move again "I'll do my best governor." He looked back at the wagon and then at his own flank 'No damage done. Right,' he picked up his pass 'it' full speed ahead. I'll be back for another load before the Z Manes know what hit them.' He chuckled to himself 'Clumsy? I use to be, but…'

His thoughts stopped when several young voices called out "Hay! What were you're going." On the banks of a small lake next to the road sat a bunch of fillies and colts, all with fishing robs. They scurried out of the way as the big Star Pony raced passed "Oh sorry, it's you who should watch where you're going I'm in a hurry."

"Going us?" one of the fillies called "But we're always here. We're fishing Warrior."

"Can't stop to argue whose fault it was."

The filly turned back to her friends, they she looked around "Where's Bluebottle?"

One of the colts pointed to a Pegasus colt slashing about and said "He's fallen in the water."

Warrior meanwhile neared the train station and spotted a familiar cart and figure asleep and snoring on the top 'Hey, there Izzy. What a bonus if I could tow him as well.' He pulled up alongside and called up to the lazy Minotaur "Ahoy, Izzy Bulmer wake up."

Izzy flailed about as he got up "Hay, hay what time is it?" he shouted before looking down and sighed before rubbing his hand over his face "Oh Warrior it's you."

"What a tow? Give you a good price.", Izzy slumped back on his back "Good grief, you wake me up to tell me funny jokes."

"It's no joke I'll give you a special rate, say one-hundred?", Izzy waved him off "Not even for ten, dumbbell. Now you wake me up so early, I've got all this daylight and the traffic is very calm."

"What? You wouldn't go in on your own?", Izzy scratched his chin "Maybe I will. Maybe I won't."

"You're crazy Izzy, risking going in on your own for a few messily bits.", Izzy groaned and yawed before he waved Warrior away. The Star Pony decided to go muttering to himself "Anyway it's against port law. Even Johnny Cuba knew non-ponies have to have an equine to tow them in." As Warrior passed his heavy wagon bumped into Izzy's cart causing it to tip slightly, but enough that the Minotaur fell off his perch. Warrior did notice being so wrapped up in his annoyance at Izzy.

Izzy stood up and brushed himself down while shouting back "I think it is less risky than you towing me Warrior."


Sunshine, Little Ditcher and his friend Pearl, a mare who owned a barge the dredger pony would sometimes burrow for his work, sat by the roadside after an early mornings work of dredger in the estuary. Little Ditcher was an old and rather frail stallion so he would often travel about on a wheelchair.

Sunshine blinked his eyes open as he heard something, he nudged Pearl to wake her up and turned to Little Ditcher who read a newspaper, the white unicorn spoke "Hey sounds like someone coming." He looked to where the sound came from and saw Warrior making his way towards them, and not looking where he was going "Oh dear," Sunshine mutter getting up and called over "I say Warrior."

The large Earth Pony looked at them and stopped "Oh morning fellas, and Pearl. It looks like it's going to be a great day." Then his wagon bumping into his rear.

Sunshine surveyed the damage "Ah whoops. Hey what're you towing?"

"Oh, you noticed?" Warrior chuckled "No more garbage for me. At least for now. Captain Star's put me on the rock contract for the new dock foundation." He then bushed his hooves off, channelling his inner Canterlot Unicorn "Just what was to be expected really, me being such a strong Earth Pony and all. Well," he said start to move off "got to go, bye."

The three-other said their congratulations and wished him good luck. Little Ditcher turned concerned as the wagon lurched at him. To try and move out the way he lifted the front wheels of his chair up, but at the wrong time. The wagon clipped his chair. Little Ditcher found himself spinning around and around.

"Dear me." Sunshine said get Pearl out of the way of the whirling dervish "Little Ditcher you alright."

"Bit dizzy." The dredger pony said as he continued revolving, but his tone wasn't all that bothered.

Pearl raised her hoof to her mouth and giggled. Sunshine began to laugh as well and nudged her "Hey Pearl you got to laugh though." He then spoke a little louder "Look Pearl, he's going to become the first one pony merry-go-round." The two burst out laughing.

"Oh ha-ha," Little Ditcher snapped began "Thanks a lot Warrior!"

"Sorry," the clumsy Earth Pony called back from the distance "can't stop bye."


The City Guard pony, recently recovered from his injuries from Johnny Cuba, and put in charge of supervising the work on the old dock, backed away from the road and stop next to Ten Bits "Standby to receive deliveries." He called.

Zip and Zug, who Captain Zero sent to represent the Z Manes, looked on as they spotted who trotted towards them, Zip began laughing "Here comes Mister Demolition himself.", the Z Mane Earth Ponies started snickering.

Warrior seem oblivious to the joke "Hi you guys," he said then he stopped "Morning City Guard-pony, where do you want me to dump this little lot?" he asked just before the wagon bumped his flank again.

The Z Manes laughed a little louder. The City Guard ignored them and pointed beside himself "Right here. We'll have one of the cranes unload it.", Warrior nodded before looking around "Where's the empty wagon for the return trip?"

"You're the first in. You'll have to go back empty to the quarry."

Ten Bits smirked "You're too quick for us Warrior.", the large Star Earth Pony grinned "Great! I'll do a couple of deliveries before I go back, bring in some more money for Captain Star."


Izzy once again rested fast asleep on top of his cart.

Big Jock heading towards the quarry, hitched to his wagon, noticed the cart and Minotaur 'Well if it isn't my old friend Izzy.' He trotted up alongside the cart of called up "Want a tow?"

Izzy groaned but didn't get up "You Stars never let anyone sleep in peace. I already told Warrior I don't need a tow."

"Don't blow your horns off I only asked. You already promised a tow to another pony?"

"Uh," Bulmer said sitting up "see listen, I don't need you pony fussing all around me okay?"

"So, I asked." Big Jock said moving off "Go back to sleep Izzy."

The Minotaur just began to drift off when he heard a lot of rustling wings. He turned his head and saw the three Z Mare Pegasi flying towards the quarry with two wagons in tow, the Minotaur groaned "You want to tow me as well hey Z Mane."

Zorran snapped at him "Get lost Izzy."

Izzy scoffed "Sounds like you've been out in the sun too long." He laid back 'Who needs them. I think I'll try getting into port without a tow.’ He climbed down and the scrawny Minotaur starting pushing, with some struggle, his cart back up the hill leading into the port.


Big Jock tapped his foot on the ground whistling as he waited for Rubble Hooves-Pie and his company to fill his wagon, he looked a back at the load "Keep going I can carry more than that."

"When your loaded up say when." Rubble called, Big Jock nodded however he turned to the road just as the Z Manes entered.

Zorran observed the loading "You're taking on a lot there aren't you Big Jock?" he chuckled.

Big Jock scowled "Nothing to do with you, how much I carry."

"Just commenting that's all." Zorran as the three landed on the ground "Weren't we lads?", Zak and Zebedee agreed, the Pegasus with a light grey mane added "Up to him how much he carries."

Big Jock looked at the number of wagons "Three Zero Pegasi just to pull two wagon," he laughed "Warrior and I have got you licked. Two of us can pull that much."

Zorran sniffed "Quality or quantity. We'll see by the end of the day. We'll see." He chuckled and whispered "Watch this, fellas." He spoke louder to Big Jock "I see Warrior up to no good again this morning. He a menace to every creature in the harbour. Yeah, I mean why doesn't Captain Star just fire Warrior off? He's worse than useless."

"Useless?" Big Jock retorted "He's one of the best workers in the port, just you remember that Zorran."

The conversation would have continued but Grampus, Royal Equestrian Naval Surveillance and Espionage Pony, rather more carefully than usual landed beside the large Earth Pony "Hey Big Jock watch it," he said rather nervously "Your wagonload looks like it's going to topple over."

"What!" Big Jock cried before looking back, indeed the pile of stone gathers stacked quite some ways above the rim of the wagon. He'd been distracted by the conversation with Zorran he forgot Rubble and co were still loading. "When!" he called "Stop loading. You'll have to take some rocks back my wagon is overloaded!"

"Overload?" Zorran said with a slight chuckle "I thought you were as strong as all of us put together."

"Didn't say I couldn't handle it."

"Off you go then; let us weaklings watch in amazement."

Big Jock narrowed his eyes, Zorran's tone didn't surprise him, he suspected the on-field leader of the Z Manes would try and slyly trick him like this. Something that couldn't be completely traced to him, the landslide Upriver was a freak accident which Zorran took advantage of, and here ponies would say Big Jock was being careless if his rock pile collapsed and went everywhere or the wagon fell apart under the weight. Luckily both those time a more honest pony came to help, Shoepack for the landslide and now Grampus here.

Big Jock clenched he teeth, he had a bad feeling about this but decided to risk it just to rub it in the Z Manes' snots. As he moved off he looked to the small grey Pegasus "Stay clear Grampus."

Zorran nodded with a small chuckled "Watch he don't crush you Grampus."

Zebedee turned to Zorran "Hey we may laugh but with loads like that will never beat them."

Zorran leaned in and whispered "Don't be so stupid. He can't travel very fast with his load on the verge of toppling over. Any bump in the road or strong wind with knock it over, won't it?", Zebedee nodded in realisation "Hey yeah, that is devious."


At the old docks Ten Bits added his strength to the cranes as they pulled another building down.

Zug clapped his hooves "Very good Ten Bits. Now try pulling down that bigger one."

Zip chuckled and added "And we'll show you how it done." The two-started laughing.

The City Guard tapped his hoof on the ground and stared at the Z Mane Earth Ponies "Come on you two."

A horn sounded out taking them all by surprise, Ten Bits looked and blinked before frowning his eyebrows in both annoyance and confusion "Oi, what Izzy up to, coming in on his own?" then he saw which side of the road he travelled on "Doesn't he know we close that side of road off?"

Zip spoke next "No equine Izzy?" he called "That illegal.", Zug muttered "And stupid."

Ten Bits rushed out shouting "Oi Izzy you're on the wrong side of the road!"

"Ye Ha!" Izzy shouted taking no noticed and constantly honking the horn beside him in the cart "You guys are always telling me I need a tow." The Minotaur currently moved simply by the momentum giving to by rolling down the steep hill leading into the port. Izzy steered his horseless cart with a tight grip on the reins. He continued shouting out "Move out of my way please."

"But the road's a mess!" Ten Bits shouted.

The cart began to shake and rattle as his hit the rubble and debris from the demolition work, Izzy wailed in destress as he lost hold of his reins and thus lost what little control he did have. The cart swerved violently, Izzy held on as he head headed for the edge of the quay. Ten Bits knew they'd fall, in the cart would be a loss, but losing Izzy would a tragedy, he knew for a fact the Minotaur couldn't swim. "Quick!" he calld to two of the crane operators, or the crane operator and the dredger pony in this case "Scuttlebutt, Mighty Moe! Give me a line or I won't be able to keep Izzy from going in and drowning."

Zip started to move "I'll give you a hoof.", Zug however stopped his co-worker and pulled him back shouting "It's your salvage Ten Bits, you claim it all."

"Look," Ten Bits called throwing the ropes to the top of some of the old buildings and tying them to the cart "never mind salvage we need your help too. Come on!"

"You can do it Ten Bits." Zug called with a large, and seemingly fake grin, and he chuckled to himself. The light red Earth Pony with a white mane turned to his darker counterpart "We've got to help he can't manage."

"Your right." Zug said leaning in and whispering "And when we do we'll rescue both.", Zip gulped and turned away from his friend, a Z Mane he may be, but he really wanted to help. But he also wanted to live up to the Z Manes deviousness, he trusted Zug's judgment on the matter, behind Zorran and Zak, Zug had the brains for scheming.


Meanwhile Big Jock made slow but impressive going with his full load and made good conversation with Grampus who walked beside the Earth Pony, Big Jock shook his head "Shouldn't have let Zorran trick me into taking such a heavy load Grampus.", the little grey Pegasus nudged him lightly "You're doing alright. Just keep it nice and steady.", Big Jock nodded "Good thing there's no wind today, any breeze and this pile could fall apart and clutter up the road.", Grampus nodded in return "Yeah, your lucky." And turned back to the road ahead. He jumped and took off "Oh no!"

Big Jock glance up and his eyes widened "Warrior! Slow down!", the yellow maned Earth Pony galloped passed "Hey Big Jock we'll beat the Z Manes, I'll have another load in no time.", the older Earth Pony quickly looked to the pile, the rush of wind caused by the speed on Warrior began moving the rocks "Warrior watch out, your slipstream could topple my load!", no sooner did the words escape his lips did the very thing happened, the brunt of Warrior slipstream buffeted the pile and it fell to one side of the wagon, and with some much weight on one said of the wagon it fell over spilling its content all across the road.

"Warrior!" Big Jock shouted.

The clumsy Earth Pony came to a stop, and looked back 'What's happened?'

As if hearing the thought Big Jock told him what happened. Embarrassed Warrior turned feeble and curled himself up "Sorry."

Big Jock sighed as Grampus landed "Me and Grampus will clean this up. Warrior you go and tell Captain Star, hopefully he'll put OJ on the rock contract instead." He then muttered and he began pushing the wagon back onto it wheels "I wouldn't even care if he sent Top Hat instead."

Warrior sighed and slowing trudged back towards the harbour, passing Grampus gathering up the stones, the Pegasus shook his head at him, making Warrior sigh again and walk away a little faster but also with his head lower as if deflated.


Izzy scared witless held onto his cart for dear life. He now dangled of the edge of his seat with his legs almost touching the water. His cart front wheel already hung over the edge and neared tipping point. If Ten Bits had not been quick witted and fast enough to throw a couple of lines around the old buildings to keep the cart from falling forward the Minotaur and his bananas would be in the satly drink.

Ten Bits and the City Guard-pony started pulling the heavy cart away from the edge of the quay, Mighty Moe and Scuttlebutt Peter starting tightening the stability lines with their cranes, or in Scuttlebutt's case the winch of his dredger.

The tightening however had a side-effect, the fiction and strain of the ropes against the decaying buildings caused parts of said buildings where the lines meet to break apart.

The cart lurched forward. Ten Bit pulled on his rope. Wrapped it around a leg in a clove hitch. Then reached for one of the stabilising ropes. He barked out to the crane operators "Keep your lines tight or we'll both go down!", the crane ponies nodded and cracking up the lines. Another part of the building broke away. To add to this one of the ropes started to give way, unable to take the strain. Clear to everyone present, Ten Bits and the crane alone would be unable to save Izzy.

"Come on Zip," Ten Bits pleaded "Zug help me out."

Zug grinning replied "I'd have to go and ask Captain Zero, it's your salvage."

"Never mind salvage a life is at stake."

The City Guard member tied his rope tightly around a bollard on the quay "I'll get help. I'll get Big Jock." And he ran off.

"Ten Bits!" called a voice, the teenage colt turned seeing Top Hat rushing towards him, accompanied by a dishevelled and messy looking Pegasus with a wooden peg on his noise, Bridle City Port's resident rag-and-bone stallion, he also often worked at the City Dump, hence his terrible smell. This couple with his upper-class accent gave him the nickname "Lord Sticker", in fact every-pony called him that so offend most ponies forgot his proper name of Grubber Wings, his cutie mark, a pile rusted horseshoe.

"You alright?" Top Hat asked stopping at his struggling crewmember, he turn to look at the Z Manes standing off "Why aren't those two idiots helping you?"

"Zip and Zug? Their waiting for me to fall in so they can play the heroes."

Both Z Manes shook their heads and blabbering about not thinking about doing that.

Top Hat scowled at them "Yes well I'll report them for this."

"What for?" Zug called "Ten Bits said it was his salvage. He did, didn't he Zip?", Zip, looked at his friend a little unsure and sunk into himself, but still he feebly said "Yes. Yes, he did."

Ten Bits ignored their lying and pulled at the cart harder only responded by saying "Well you said that, not me."

Top Hat looked at the breaking rope and glanced at Ten Bits and Lord Stinker "I'll try and keep that rope from breaking Ten Bits. Mister Wings, if you would be so kind as to take hold of the rope the City Guard Pony left."

"Right you are Top Hat." Lord Stinker said untying the rope from the bollard and pulling it tight.

Izzy cringed "What a stink." He moaned and held his nose with his hand. Of course, not thinking about the consequences of this meant he only held on to his cart, while dangling over a watery grave, by a single hand, growing tired and increasing unable to keep hold of the impromptu ledge. The second rope started to snap. The cart lurched and angled itself further towards the salty drink.

Zug eyes widened "I think it's time we took over Zip."

Zip nodded profusely "Ready when you are." As you took a step forward another voice shouted through the air, "Ten Bits!" and blur of brown and yellowed rushed passed them as Warrior continued "Hang on Ten Bits."

Zip face-hoofed "Great timing Zug you've blown it."

Warrior throw another rope at the cart "Hang on Ten Bits I'll have you out of there in a jiffy." He wrapped the end of rope around his body.

"No wait Warrior," Ten Bits said "it's too risking. Too dangerous. Back off! Or you'll be pulled under with me."

"Not if I can help it." He started pulling back and all by himself started pulling the cart back from the edge.

Top Hat's eye widened, but used a hoof top keep his monocle in place "I do believe I'm saying this. But, good work Warrior." He then returned his attention to stopping the most damaged stability line from breaking completely. And Ten Bits and Lord Stinker joined Warrior and pulling the cart.
Zug looked on saddened "It looks like we've lost our salvage." Another snap sounded "Or maybe not.", Zip looked at this crewmember agape 'Dear Celestia we could lose at least one life, if not four or five and all Zug can think about is gaining from it.' He felt so ashamed he couldn't even bring himself to try and make up for his misguide wrongdoing by his initial backing off from helping.

Meanwhile Lord Stinker let go of his line and Ten Bits looked to Warrior "Let your line go Warrior. Look after yourself. Get clear!"

One line failed. The cart lurched forward again. Almost about to tip over. Izzy's hooves touched the water. Warrior face steeled and he put his hooves firmly to the ground "I'm not going to mess this up!" he shouted and pulled back sweating and began pulling the cart backwards once more.

A shadow appeared on the ground and a familiar voice called "Need a hoof here fellas?" Big Jock threw another rope onto the cart but laughed and turned to his fellow large Earth Pony "Warrior looks like he got it under control.", Ten Bits nodded "I couldn't have gotten this far without him."
Warrior smiled and turned to the crane ponies "Mighty Moe, Scuttlebutt. Take the strain on these ropes." He threw them over and the crane operators caught and secured them with their acknowledgements of the orders.

Top Hat now able to let the last old stabilising line go took a line of his own and pulled it with his magic.

Warrior tighten his own rope and called to the five ponies one simple command "Pull!"

With the combined might the cart's front wheels bumped onto the edge. Then rolled onto the quayside. Once far from the water Izzy final let go of the cart and collapsed onto the ground.

Grampus and the City Guard member can speeding up with smiles on their faces "You've done it!" they happily cried in unison.

Big Jock untied his rope and wiped the sweat from his brow "I reckon this makes up for toppling my wagonload Warrior."

Ten Bits himself collapsed and removed the clove hitched rope from his leg, he glanced up "I reckon it makes up for everything."

At that moment, the three Z Pegasi flapped their way into the scene. Zorran looked on eyebrows frowned and mouth open in confused astonishment "What's up here? Another of Warrior disasters hey?"

Warrior blushed and turned to the leading Z Mane "Now look here you guys. It wasn't…"

"Ignore them Warrior." The City Guard Pony said "We all know it wasn't your fault." His expression turned bitter and he turned to the Z Manes, all five of them "It's you Zeros who are the disasters.", when Zorran questioned this the purple navy coloured Earth Pony explained by simply saying "Zip and Zug's have lost you your chance at the rock contract. Their behaviour has been despicable."

Top Hat dusted his waistcoat off, stood up tall as a posh Unicorn could and narrowed his eyebrows "I couldn't have put it better myself." He sniffed.

The City Guard member then trotted around to the Minotaur "As you Izzy I'll report this. Coming in without a tow means a hefty fine.", Izzy groaned, banged the back of his head into the ground and face-palmed as the Star Ponies started laughing.


Later Warrior slowly trotted down the road with another load of rocks.

When he and Ten Bits had returned to the Star Building and reported on the mornings events the good Captain had indeed been proud with the both and the other who took part in the daring rescue.

However, the Captain did give Warrior some stern words over his recklessness, siting not only what happened with Big Jock, but also the complaints by the parents of the Fishing Club fillies and colts, and from Little Ditcher. Captain Star allowed Warrior to remain on the rock contract but gave him due warning about causing such things in the future.

The yellow maned Earth Pony sighed 'It would be nice to prove to Captain Star that,' he stifled a yawn 'that I can handle a lot more jobs only my own.' He gave a small yawn 'I've made fourteen trips today and no more mistakes since this morning.' He rubbed his tongue over his back teeth 'At least no more that I know of.' He yawned again 'Getting tired now. Can hardly keep me eye open.' They shut and thus he fell asleep as his continued to walk along the road.

Presently he bumped into something hard, at first, he didn't wake up, only when his wagon rammed into him did he wake with a jump. He shook his head and look straight at a stone wall "Where'd this wall come from?"

"What do you mean where'd the wall come from?" laughed a thin and raspy old voice, Warrior peered over the wall seeing an old mare sitting on a rocking chair on the porch of house, she chuckled "That wall's been there along with this house, since before I was born."

"Oh yeah." Warrior said looking around before getting back onto the road "Sorry. It's being a long day. Must have dozed off."

The Mare chuckled and shook her head "Clumsy young colt that Warrior. But wouldn't be half as boring without him." She continued laughing as Warrior trotted off, but now a bit more respected by the other Star Ponies, not only proving himself to have some brains after the log jam incident Upriver but also a determined and well-meaning pony willing to make up for his mistakes and willing to lay down his life if need be, very much a Star Pony.