• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 1,510 Views, 5 Comments

Sunset Impossible - kissfromarose2



Sunset Shimmer breaks into the Royal Vault. She may come to regret this.

  • ...
0
 5
 1,510

The Vault Heist

Sunset shimmer was a genius.

Not to spark her own horn, but nopony else could have stepped more than one hoof inside the castle without being immediately caught.

That she was currently strolling past the empty throne room without a care in the world only cemented this.

Of course it wasn't as easy as she made it look. Light refraction spells were no cakewalk after all, particularly those strong enough to trick the princess's wards.

For Sunset though they came as easily as breathing. After a little practice of course.

Mentally she plotted her route. Though the throne room, check; then past the main corridor and guard post; then turn right, and Bingo.

She'd made it this far. There was no turning back now.

Particularly with the impression she'd just put on the Princess's favourite cushion.

She exhaled heavily. The hardest part was yet to come.

One. Two. Three.

One deep breath then go.

Five. Six. Seven.

She glanced around the corner.

Buck it, her timing was off!

Instead of a blissfully empty guard-post a guard sat munching on a daisy sandwich halfway down the corridor.

He was supposed to be on break!

Resisting the urge to scream in frustration she took yet another deep breath.

The idiot just had to pick today to actually do his job didn't he? Couldn't he just pop off to the break-room like any other sane stallion? More importantly couldn't he get the buck out of her way?!

Months of training and planning. All undone by one daisy sandwich. Sunset made a mental note to smite him once she achieved ultimate power.

Mentally checking her wellspring she sighed. There was nothing for it. She'd have to Shimmer.

Pulling the sun's rays around her her coat faded from view, shifting to match the wall behind her. Not exactly up to changeling standards, but she'd have to make do.

Slowly she crept her way across the corridor, pressing herself behind pillars when the newest bane of her life got the urge to look up.

Inches from the guard she held her breath. Every second waiting spelled more and more disaster. Luna would only take so long to raise the moon after all.

She risked glancing up at the high window. The last rays of the Sun were disappearing falling beneath the horizon.

The pull from holding the Shimmer grew .

Sunset gritted her teeth.

The guard turned to fill up his flask.

Letting go of a breath she hadn't noticed taking, Sunset bolted for the door quickly casting a silent spell to lighten her footsteps. She made it.

Nervously she peeked around the corner. This was the hardest part. The princess was bound to have all sorts of seals and wards on the door which itself would be locked by a horn lock only the princess herself could open.

Silently she bolstered her resolve. She needed this. They needed this. No locked door could stand in the way of the great Sunset Shimmer.

The door stood open.

She couldn't decide whether to be relieved or disappointed.

Gingerly she prodded the room and doorway for wards. Nothing.

She smirked. It was almost like the princess wanted her to walk off with all that not so hard earned gold.

She walked in.

The room was empty. Or at least it might as well have been. It was full sure but full of worthless things. Motheaten teddy bears and paintings far to recognisable to fence. Completely useless for her purposes.

Who cared about the lost princess anymore anyway? Nopony with the money to pay for it, that's who.

She perked up at the sight of golden regalia. A quick prod with her magic and she quickly ascertained it was not only far too big and heavy, even for her substantial magic, but crawling with wards as well.

Growling in frustration, she was about to give up when she saw it. A Dragon egg.

Part of her rebelled at the thought of selling a living being, but she pushed it down. Twilight hadn't eaten in a week. The guards on the street were wise to her tricks now.

The egg would keep them fed for months, maybe even years. It might even be enough to start over. A small town maybe, somewhere where she wasn't already pony non grata to every business in a five mile radius.

Besides, she told herself. No unicorn has ever hatched a Dragon egg. It's not even really alive yet.

Somehow the words rang hollow.

Gulping she reached out to grasp the egg with her magic. The egg reached back.

Sunset tried to pull back but the grip stayed firm. She could feel the egg pulling more and more of her magic into itself an endless hole that was sure to suck her dry.

Desperately she tried to teleport.

Ripping her way through the castles wards in a way even an earth pony would notice she reappeared in the old factory she shared with Twilight.

No, No , No, No, No! Anywhere but here!

They were probably already on their way by now. A whole squadron of guards chasing her down. Right to Twilight.

An insistent pull on her magic made her turn around. That Tartarus damned egg had followed her!

And it was glowing purple.

Horrified, Sunset watched the closest thing she had to family reach out towards the egg.

She bolted towards Twilight.

A shockwave of energy ripped through the room.

When she regained her senses Princess Luna was standing over her, more imposing than any portrait could ever do justice to.

She looked down at Sunset, an infuriating look of sympathy on her face.

Sunset scowled right back.

They stayed like that in an invisible tug of war until the Princess was tugged away by an insistent pull on her ethereal mane.

"Princess, can Sunset come with us to the castle?"

The alicorn's aggravating smile grew even wider. "Of course she can Twilight, I positively insist on it."

As she begrudgingly followed Twilight, who was happily skipping along linking hoofs with the Princess, one thought was crystal clear in Sunset's mind. This would NOT be the start of a beautiful relationship.

Comments ( 5 )

So Sunset and Twilight lived together before Twilight became Luna's student? Really interesting take, but if so... what happened with her family and her brother?

7709818 Thanks. :twilightsmile:
Well that is the question isn't it.
Shining Armour at least gets addressed in the Solar Steward. In my head at least he was on active duty and thus out of contact.
What happened to Twilight's parents though is a mystery I may or may not end up addressing. Suffice to say they're no longer in the picture at this point.

This is an excellent prequel 1-shot to The Solar Steward.

7728966 Thanks :twilightsmile:
I've been planning this universe out for a while all the way from pre-Equestria all the way to the Cutie Re-mark.
Most of it isn't written or posted yet, but it you're interested I have a couple more set around the time of Nightmare Moon called The Cost of Harmony and Ready and Waiting to Fall.
Obviously there's no cute baby Twilight or Mane 6, but it does give a good view into the princesses without giving away too much of what's going on in the Solar Steward.

7729022 I've already tackled them, and they were quite satisfying.

Login or register to comment