• Published 7th Oct 2016
  • 4,533 Views, 73 Comments

Let's try again - Bru-swan-sen



Ever since their trip to camp Everfree, Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry has rekindled their friendship. All seems well and good but when the two begin to realize something about themselves.

  • ...
10
 73
 4,533

Chapter 11

“I can’t believe I’m doing this.” Sunset says as she stands around a beauty store in the mall completely lost on what to do.

After the event at the amusement park with Sunset asking Rarity for “help” the two agreed to meet each other at the mall.

Sunset felt very…very out of place as she is surrounded by extreme feminine products. Almost everything was pink with sashes and ribbons and about every single item was covered in sparkles. Looking in a mirror, Sunset looks like an elephant trying to hide in a group of swans.

To be honest Sunset would never ever find herself here even if her life depended on it.

She picks up a random perfume bottle that says the words try me. Giving the top a squeeze, it sprays out an air of flower scented mist though she accidently sprayed a bit too much causing herself to go into a coughing fit.

“Uh miss, are you alright?” A store clerk asks her.

“No, I’m ~cough~ okay I’m just ~cough~ waiting for a friend.” She says as her eyes get a little watery.

The clerk gives her a confused look, but still nods her head and walks away.

Finally taking in some clean air, Sunset moves away from the perfume counter and moves onto a different area. Her face scrunches up when she walks in front of a dress with colors brighter than the sun.

“Ugh why does everything have to be so…froofy.” Sunset groans as she picks up one of the dresses from the rack.

“Well darling everyone has their own taste and style.” Sunset turns around to see Rarity standing behind her with a small notebook in hand. A rather large purse is hanging at her side with more notebooks protruding from the opening. “Some of us prefer the more elegant looks while some such as yourself prefer the more...rambunctious look.”

It's been a few days since Sunset asked Rarity for her help and to say that the young fashionista is excited would be an understatement.

Walking through the mall the two teens begin to discuss Sunset’s situation. Starting from the first day Flash and she made up and all the rest that followed.

“Hmm I see,” Rarity says with a thoughtful look. “It seems this Somna character seems to be a negative factor.”

“Well the way you say it like that makes it sound like she’s some evil villain from a book.”

“Oh please,” Rarity waves her hands. “I’d call her more so like a love rival.”

“Love rival?” Sunset raises a brow at her. “I’m not in love with him…I just have this.”

“Extremely fast heart rate, reddening cheeks when you see him, your mind going blank as you speak with him?” Rarity crosses her arms. “I can go on, darling I have many more.”

Seeing herself at a loss, Sunset just lets out a sigh and just continues walking.

“Now we’re going to need to spruce you up so that when you and Flash go on your date he’ll be left slacked jawed.”

Sunset stops in her tracks and stares at Rarity.

“Wow wow wow hold on there,” She says waving her hands. “There were never any plans for a date!”

“How else are you supposed to grab his attention?” Rarity asks with a raised brow. “ watching him from the side lines like some background character?.” Rarity waves off the idea with a disturbed look. “Now we don’t have all of the time dearie come along.”

Already Sunset is beginning to regret telling her fashion craze friend.

The first store they visit is a hair salon, all around the room are pictures of overly artistic hairstyles, each one more creative than the last.

“Uh weren’t we going to look for clothes?” Sunset asks. “Why are we in a hair salon?” the teen next to her lets out a laugh.

“Don’t sound so surprised darling, first we need to get you a nice new hairstyle before we can find you a new outfit

Before Sunset can say anything to that she’s pulled over to an empty chair.

“Rarity sweetheart!”

Through the mirror Sunset can see a tall woman with an excessively puffy hairstyle.

“Pixie Sheers, it's so nice to see you.”

The two give each other a small hug as they greet one another.

“What brings you here?” Pixie Sheers asks. “Your next appointment isn’t until next week.”

Rarity turns Sunset around in her chair causing her salon friend to gasp.

“My word!” Pixie Sheers rushes over to Sunset and begins to inspect her hair. “How have you been living like this?”

Sunset raises a brow confused on what she’s implying.

“Excuse me?” her words fell on deaf ears as the two behind her began to talk and…strategize. Before she even knows what is happening the hair stylist begins to go at her hair.

With a single motion Pixie Sheers wraps Sunset in a stylist cape covering her front. She then spins her around to face the mirror once more.

First, she starts to spray water into her hair making sure every single strand of hair is doused in water. She then starts to take snips of hair here and there, cutting away any spot she sees unfit.

Sunset closes her eyes as strands of hair fall over her face.

“Uh Rarity…I’m pretty sure I don’t need…”

“Nonsense!” Rarity cuts her off. “Now hush up and let the master do her work.”

Pixie smiles and nods and returns to working on Sunset’s hair.

Seeing that she’s already too deep into this Sunset just lets out a sigh.

Thirty minutes past and finally it’s over, looking back at the mirror Sunset couldn’t help but stare with a confused look.

“Uh Rarity?”

“Yes darling?”

“I look the same…” Sunset turns to look at her fashionista friend and gives her a confused look.

“Sunset,” Rarity laughs and looks at her reflection in the mirror. “Subtly is the key.” She says, raising her hand in front of her and looks off into the distance.

Not really understanding her, Sunset just shrugs her shoulders.

After the salon Rarity begins to pull her along towards the clothing sector of the mall. Sunset saw the usual store she tends to shop at which was the store that gave out the most sales and discounts throughout the year.

Rarity knowing full well what her typical shopping store is she quickly drags her past it.

“Now now darling, we need to give you a little upgrade.” She says with a wink.

The day went on with Rarity and Sunset spending most of their time in the mall with Rarity “improving” Sunset’s attire. The ends with the two at Sugarcube corners with at least half a dozen shopping bags around them.

“Now for the finishing touches.” Rarity says. “Your phone please darling.”

Handing her phone to her Sunset watches as Rarity begins to tap away at it.

“And just like that we are ready to go!” the young fashionista cheers.

“Uh…what exactly are we ‘ready to go for?’ exactly.” Sunset asks.

Rarity looks up and gives her friend a big smile.

“Why for your little date with Flash of course.”

Sunset’s eyes grow wide at what she just said.

“You what?” She almost jumps out of her seat causing some of the other patrons to look at the two. She swipes her phone bringing it up to her face to see the message she had just sent.

“Oh, don’t worry darling it won’t be an actual date.” Rarity says waving at her. “I just set up a little get together for the two of you. Besides, I’m sure with your new look you two will be dating in no time.”

“But I don’t…we just…I mean…” Sunset drags her hands on her face and drops her head on the table followed by her hitting her head against its surface.

“Now now darling, no need to worry, all of this will be just fine, trust me.”

Instead of saying anything, Sunset just lets out a loud grumble

Just then a notification from Sunset’s phone caught both of their attention.

Rarity went for the steal, but luckily this time Sunset knew better and pulled it away and brought it up to her to read the message.

“It’s Flash…” Sunset says looking up to glare at rarity who only waves her hands at her to respond to the message. Looking back down at her phone Sunset is deciding how she should explain the situation to him on how all this was just one big misunderstanding. There are so many things wrong with the situation she’s in right now. She’s starting to regret asking Rarity for help, but then again, she really didn’t have a choice now.

“Well? What did he say?”

Opening the message Sunset reads over it and is caught off guard by what the message says.

“He says he needs to talk about something with me…he wants to meet up later today.” She says looking up at Rarity.

“Oooohoooh it seems a certain someone is perhap is feeling the same thing!”

Sunset gives her a strange look knowing well that her friend is overreacting, but she would be lying if she wasn’t feeling a small sense of hope.

“Well say something, don't keep him waiting.” Rarity says with a pushing motion of her hands.

Sunset taps away at her phone and shows it to Rarity.

“How’s this?” She asks as she watches her friend skim the screen.

“Darling please, you can do better than that.” Rarity takes the phone and deletes whatever it was that Sunset wrote and begins to type. “Now this will be a much better scene and mood to get you two going.”

“Um...what did you say exactly?”

“Nothing to worry about dear, just get yourself ready by seven and make sure you wear something nice.”

Later that day around six fifty, Sunset is waiting outside a rather fancy restaurant near the outskirts of town. It’s supposed to be one of the best...and one of the most expensive, but of course rarity has it all under control. How? Sunset has no idea, but she has to admit that she’s feeling rather excited.

She wore her typical leather jacket but instead of her normal attire underneath she wore a red button down shirt with orange trousers. For her shoes she’s wearing a nice pair of ruby heels along with some black leggings.

Lightly tapping on the floor, she waits patiently for Flash to arrive. Luckily it doesn’t take long as she sees his car approaching and parking. She makes her way to him unaware of the small skips to her step as she gets close.

She gets a good look at him as he closes the distance between them.

It's a rather semi casual attire: a normal dress shirt with a dark blue thin jacket and some jeans.

"Hey Sunset you're a bit more...uh...different tonight?" Flash says, giving her a bit of a confused look.

Sunset places a hand on her face and lets out a small grown.

"I swear it wasn't my idea." Feeling a hand on her shoulder she looks up to see Flash giving her a small smile. A little part of her felt a little giddy from his smile but her brain quickly told her to shake it off.

"So this place is pretty pricey," flash says, turning to the restaurant. "How'd you get us seats doesn't it usually take like a month in advance just to get seats?"

"Guess it's nice to have people with good connections." Sunset shrugs her shoulders nodding towards the entrance.

“Yeah, guess so.” He says following her inside.

They were given a table next to the window with a pair of menus and glasses of water.

Pulling up the menu Sunset uses it as a make wall so that she could hide her face. Currently her face was a light crimson from embarrassment, but maybe just maybe she’s a little nervous.

“Come on Shimmer you’ve gone on dinners with Flash multiple times already.” Sunset whispers to herself. “Just treat this just like those and everything should be fine.”

Taking a deep breath, Sunset places the menu down and smiles at Flash.

“So what do you think of the day out weather?”

“Dear sweet Celestia Sunset!”

Author's Note:

Wow been quite a while since I updated this thing...crazy. Not sure if anyone still reads this, but just rewatched EQG stuff and the new mlp movie and that got my juices for this flowing again.

We'll see how this goes.

To anyone still reading this...sorry for the rather late update. Hopefully I'll have enough juice to actually finish this thing. :D

Comments ( 8 )

I just discovered this story, so if it wasn’t for the dates by each chapter, I wouldn’t have noticed the 3 year hiatus. Well done! Though I wish you wouldn’t have ended this one on a cliffhanger.

I had seen this a while back but when I saw such a lOng hiatus I didn’t bother. If this is getting updated again I’ll have to put it on my list of stuff to read

Comment posted by Punsz deleted Oct 27th, 2021

Good to see this up again.

Excuse me. What new mlp movie?

Very nice. Can’t wait to see if you continue with this!

Please continue. That's all I have to say. PLEASE CONTINUE.

Man, can you pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssee continue this. This story is so good.

Login or register to comment