• Published 7th Oct 2016
  • 4,533 Views, 73 Comments

Let's try again - Bru-swan-sen



Ever since their trip to camp Everfree, Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry has rekindled their friendship. All seems well and good but when the two begin to realize something about themselves.

  • ...
10
 73
 4,533

Chapter 4

The sound of an alarm clock erupts in Sunset’s room, her hands waves around above her searching the accursed contraption. Her hand finally finds her clock relieving her of the early morning torment. Bringing it over her head, she pops one eye open and looks to see the time.

11:30am

Sunset lets out a groan as she places her clock on the nightstand and sits herself up. Letting out a yawn, she scratches her stomach while stretching her other arm.

With no other choice, she pushes herself out of bed and makes her way towards the bathroom. Finishing her morning routine, Sunset sat in her living room with a bowl of cereal in her hand and the TV switched on.

“Hmm looks like it’ll be pretty hot today.” Sunset says with a bored expression. She finishes her cereal and walks over to the kitchen sink dropping it off and filling the empty bowl with water.

Cracking her back, Sunset walks back into her bedroom and begins to dress into something more suitable for the weather.

Walking back out into the living, she holds a black coat hanger cover over her shoulder. Moving over to her dining room table she picks up her keys and walks out of the door. She grabs her helmet on the way out and stops at the entrance. Sunset was going through a checklist in her head making sure she had everything that she needed for the day. Nodding her head, she walks out of her apartment locking the door.

The warm summer breeze blows into her face, she sucks in a deep breath of air and walks over to her parked bike. Folding the cover in half, Sunset puts in the side compartment of her bike. The former equine gets on her bike and starts its engine.

The ride to town didn’t take that long, many of the stores were beginning to open and people were getting ready for their early morning jobs.

Sunset arrives at a café in town that was known for its breakfast menu, The SunnySide, better known for its egg related dishes.

She spots a blue haired teen standing next to the entrance of the café with one hand in his pocket and the other covering his mouth as he yawns. He wore his typical jacket and lightning bolt t-shirt, his expression grew as he spotted Sunset arriving on her bike, its engine roaring as it got closer to him.

Flash Sentry, waves a hand to her as he walks over to where she’s parking her bike.

It’s been two weeks since their little get together and so far on every other day they would meet up for breakfast or lunch. This was their way of starting over, it was a chance for the two friends to get to know each other and forget about their interactions in their past, mostly Sunset. Usually they’d just talk about what goes on and occasionally talk about their friends.

“Morning Sunset,” Flash greets with another yawn. “I already got us a seat inside.”

“Nice, I could go for some coffee right now.” She says.

The two teens walk into the café and get into their seats.

To Sunset’s surprise, there were already a good handful of people in the café talking or eating their morning meals.

Taking their seats, Flash orders the two of them coffee and some breakfast muffins. He makes himself comfortable in his chair and looks up at Sunset.

She had her phone in front of her face using it as a mirror as she was doing her hair.

“Never took you for the type to worry about your hair?” Flash says.

“Ugh, I don’t, but this new job of mind requires me to do my hair in a certain way.” Sunset responds with a small frown growing on her face as her hair becomes difficult. Letting out a grunt, Sunset unlocks her phone and taps on the screen to find an image of the hair style she needs.

Flash leans forward to see what she was looking at, to his surprise, Sunset’s phone showed images of foreign girls with their hairs made into a bun with two thin sticks.

“Is that some new trendy style?” He asks.

“No, but it is a mandatory hairstyle at the place I’m working at.” Sunset answers him putting her phone down, using both of her hands, she goes at her hair with both hands in hopes to do the style.

Flash watches in confusion as he watches the bacon haired girl do her hair with her eyes staring at her phone screen.

“How is it that you girls can do your hair without even looking at it like that?” He asks.

“It takes skills and mental strength.” Sunset says with a strained voice as she uses one hand to hold the Semi-bun hair and with her other pulls out a pair of black chopsticks from her pocket and pins them in her bun. Dear sweet Celestia, she has no idea what she’s doing, she picks up her phone again and turns her head to see the back of her head through the reflection of the screen.

A few strands of hair were sticking out at certain points and the chopsticks were tilted in different angles, Sunset lets out a sigh in defeat and just leaves her hair as it is. This was honestly the best she could do, hopefully her boss won’t be that bothered by it.

“Don’t look so down,” Flash says. “I think it looks…all right?” He says, tilting his head slightly.

“Shut up.” Sunset responds though she sounded more defeated than angry.

Letting out a small laugh, Flash pulls out a small jar of what seems like hair wax. Using his finger, he lifts a small glob and rubs it in his hands, once the substance was nicely spread out through his hands he pulls his hair back causing his original spikey do to be pushed down and pulled back to the back of his head.

“At least you don’t have to look like this when you go to work.” He says making Sunset look up to face only to have her trying to hold back a laugh.

“Oh my sweet Celestia, I completely forgot you had to do your hair like that when you work at your dad’s place.” Sunset says as she finally lets her laughs escape her mouth.

“Yeah yeah, laugh it all up,” Flash says he then gives her a smirk. “At least I don’t have a dead jellyfish that’s been stabbed on the back of my head.”

Sunset immediately stopped laughing and smirks back, lightly clapping her hands.

“Touché, well played Mr. Sentry.” She says with a snooty voice making her voice deep.

“I learned from the best madam Shimmer.” He says with a slight bow of his head.

The two held their posture for a bit before they both began to laugh.

Some of the other patrons of the café stare at the two teens who were making a ruckus so early in the morning, but they quickly went back to whatever they were doing ignoring the two.

As they both started to calm down, a server came and placed their order on their table. It only took them a few minutes to finish the muffins, leaving only empty crumbs and the cups of coffee in their hand. As time went by, both teens began to realize that they had to leave for work.

Leaving the café, Flash walks Sunset to her bike, walking behind her he sees that the bun on her head is bobbing up and down as she walks.

Getting on her bike, Sunset looks up at Flash who is standing next to her.

“I’ll see you later then?” She asks.

“Yeah, let’s meet up at donut Joe’s again tomorrow.”

“Sounds good,” Sunset says, starting her engine. “All right, see you tomorrow then.”

Flash nods his head as he watches the fiery hair girl ride off in her bike a loud roar erupts as her bike drives away him. Putting his hands in his pockets, he began his walk to work. He notices a pair of girls snickering at him, at first he wasn’t sure why, but a quick look at a reflection from a window answers his question, a frown forming on his face.

“Stupid hair.”

Sunset arrives at her new job twenty minutes after she left Flash. Its exterior design was simple and on its window were some foreign letters and symbols. The words “grand opening” were painted on a large white flag that hung on the door. She pulls out her hanger cover from her bike's side pouch and walks into the building.

A small bell jingles as she opens the door and walks in. The inside of the building was small, with a few tables arranged around the room and a bar sat at the right. Pictures of fish littered the walls and a few paper lanterns hung on the ceiling.

“Welcome!” Says a man who walks out of the kitchen connected to the bar. His accent was heavy and rough.

He was a man in his mid-forties, he wore a red and blue sushi cloth, he wore a black headband with some foreign words written on it. A large smile was on his face as he greets the former pony girl.

“It is so nice to meet you, Sunset Shiner.”

“Hi, it’s actually Shimmer.” Sunset corrects him politely.

“Ah, I sorry, I hope you ready for your first day?” He asks in a bit of broken english.

Sunset nods her head and shows him her hanger cover.

“Oh, let me see your uniform.”

Listening to his words, Sunset unzips the cover to reveal a blue white sushi cloth with a white shirt and shorts hung inside.

He looks from top to bottom and nods his head.

“Very nice, I see you ironed it too, good, you keep uniform clean is always good sign of worker.” He says as he nods head.

“Thank you, sir.” Sunset looks back at him with a smile.

“No sir,” He says, waving his hands. “You can call me, Silver Fin.”

She nods her head again as she takes back the uniform and zips the cover back up.

“Okay you change in back,” he says pointing at a room in the back. “I wait for you next to cash register and teach you, okay?”

“Sure, no problem.” Sunset walks past him and heads over to the room he spoke of. It didn’t take her long to change into her uniform, luckily there was a mirror in the room and she checked her look. She wasn’t going to lie, but she kind of liked the look.

She walks out of the room to see Silver Fin standing next to the cash register waiting for her. Walking over to him, he began to teach her how to use the machine and others. It was a little difficult to understand him at times, but she got the basic understanding of what he was saying.

She did a double check on all the equipment and where everything was making sure she knew where all the spares were.

Silver Fin then takes her to the kitchen which was next to the bar. Inside she saw various cuts of fish sitting on the cutting boards and other ingredients.

“You like sushi?” he asks.

“Uh I don’t think I’ve ever had it.” Sunset answers.

Nodding his head, Silver Fin walks over to the spot behind what Sunset learned was the sushi bar and began to cut up fish. His hands felt the fish before he brought a long sharp knife and began to slice the meat. He places three thin slices of red fish meat on the cutting board and reaches behind him and sticks his hand in a round container and pulls something that was clenched around his hand. He was now using both hands to morph whatever it was in his hand and place the slices of fish meat over it. Grabbing a plate from the shelf behind him, he places the piece onto it and repeats the process with the other two pieces of meat.

He brings the plate up to her and offers her the three pieces.

At first Sunset was a little nervous to try raw fish. Even before this when she first came to the human world it took years for her to try meat. She shrugs her shoulders and picks up a piece eating it whole. It takes her a few bites before her eyes grow wide and swallows the content in her mouth.

“Wow, this is pretty good.” She says taking another piece and putting it in her mouth.

“Good, I come to Canterlot to let people experience sushi,” Silver Fin says. “It is very popular in big city, so I open first one here.”

Silver Fin starts to give a small history of career and some about sushi. As they talk some of the other workers start to arrive most of them were the kitchen crew and one was a busser. Sunset greets them all and in return they her.

Sunset was in the back where the register was waiting for the first customer to arrive, but so far it was quiet. Sunset looks at her phone seeing that there was nothing else to do.

She taps on the app Flash Chat, it is a social media app that allows people to capture videos and pictures. Looking through her screen she sees images of her friends and what they were doing. Half of them were at their respective jobs while the other half were taking photos, some objects and occasionally food.

A small jingle catches her attention signaling her that a customer had arrived.

She grabs a few menus and looks at the small mirror next to the register making sure she looks presentable, she lets out a satisfied grunt and walks to the front.

“Hello, welcome to The Fly Tune!” She greets with a big smile.

Author's Note:

Hiya folks hope you enjoy this chapter!