• Published 7th Oct 2016
  • 4,533 Views, 73 Comments

Let's try again - Bru-swan-sen



Ever since their trip to camp Everfree, Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry has rekindled their friendship. All seems well and good but when the two begin to realize something about themselves.

  • ...
10
 73
 4,533

Chapter 7

The room was silent with exception for the clock above the couch, two teens were sitting a seat away from each.

Flash shifted the bag of ice around his eye making him wince a bit. His sudden noise causes Sunset to look up to see some water trickling down his hand as most of the ice in his bag was just about all melted. Seeing as his fiery haired companion wasn’t going to say anything anytime soon, Flash thought it was a good idea to speak first.

“Man, Rainbow’s got one hell of a right hook.” He says with a half-smile. Unfortunately, he gets no response from Sunset causing him to let out a sigh. Her hands were on her lap as she kept her eyes away from his. “Sunset, will you please look at me?” His tone slightly rises as he begins to get annoyed with her distant attitude.

This causes her to flinch and slide even farther away from him. But before she could even make her distance Flash grabs her arm preventing her from moving.

“That’s it! Sunset I’m really sick and tired of this dumb act.” Flash almost shouts but he did his best to contain his volume.

Sunset tries even harder to pull her arm away but with her being in the state that she is she just couldn’t find the energy to rip herself free from his grasp.

Seeing her distress causes Flash to quickly let go of her hand. The scared and painful look on her face causes him to drop his head.

“Sunset…please I…” he pauses, keeping his eyes on the ground. “I can’t stand to see you like this…it’s just not like you.” He brings his head up to look at her to which he sees that she was returning his gaze. “Whatever is bothering you I want to be able to help you.” This time he slowly places a hand on hers and to his relief she didn’t pull away.

Sunset stares into his caring eyes which brought back the flashbacks from last night. Tears began to swell up in her eyes and still being exhausted she couldn’t stop the flood gates from opening.

In one swift motion she lunges towards Flash wrapping her arms around his neck and sobbing into his shoulder.

Being that this was the first time he’s ever seen Sunset let out tears like this he became more worried as to what was bothering her. He responds the only way he sees fit for the situation, he wraps his arms around her and holds her tight.

The two teens were now in a soggy hug with Sunset crying herself to no tomorrow and Flash comforting her in his arms.

Time seems to have stopped for the two of them as they sat on the couch. The room stays silent with the only exception of a few sniffles from Sunset.

However, Flash feels that enough time has passed, so he gently pushes Sunset away allowing him to see her face. Her cheeks are puffy and her eyes almost bloodshot, Flash lets out a sigh and wipes away at her face with the sleeve of his shirt.

“You know you shouldn’t cry too much makes your whole punk girl look fade a little.” Flash teases a small smile forming on his lips.

A smile slowly forms on Sunset’s face followed by a giggle.

“Shut up.” She jokes punching him lightly on the arm.

Happy to see a smile on her face again, Flash laughs at her somewhat normal behavior.

“Hey if you hit any Harder I’ll get another bruise…it’s nice to see you getting a little better.” Flash says. “Oh, wait I almost forgot.” He gets up from his spot on the couch and walks over to the door where a single white bag sat. He grabs the bag and quickly makes his way back to Sunset. “You left before you could have your lunch.”

Having now gotten a tissue, Sunset blew her nose trying her best to get rid of any unwanted substance in her nose.

“Flash you didn’t have too.” Sunset said sound a little guilty of his actions.

“Hey what are friends for I couldn’t just let you run off without your meal.” Flash places the bag on top of her living room table and reaches in, pulling out a large black box. The smell coming from the box indicates that the food inside was still warm.

Upon opening the box, Sunset could smell the stench of seafood with a hint of butter. From just the smell alone, Sunset could barely keep her mouth from drooling like an opened flood gate.

“Well what are you waiting for? Dig in.”

Without the need to be told twice, Sunset began to dig into her late lunch. She first started with the lobster tail, its juices seeping out as she stabbed her fork into it. Then she went for the mash potatoes and then the broccoli. In the end she kept on just stuffing her mouth.

Flash lets out a laugh as he watches her eat.

“You know if you were that hungry I would've brought more food.”

Sunset looks up at him as her stuff cheeks begin to redden. She swallows what’s left in her mouth wiping away any crumbs from her lips with the back of her hand.

“I guess I was a lot hungrier than I thought.” Sunset notices the large black eye on his eye. “I’m so sorry that Rainbow...couldn't control herself.”

It took Flash a minute to realize what she was talking about but then the memory of how he received the black came back as fast as how a certain rainbow haired girl swung.

“Oh yea...hey it's no problem, she's one of your closest friends and besides if i saw you running away crying because of someone id probably do the same.” Flash says with a shrug he then grabs onto her hands and gives Sunset his full attention. Sunset felt her heart pace a little faster than normal from the look he was giving her. “There's no way I’d ever let that happen to one of my closest friends.”

A big smile grows on her face as she hears these words from him. But deep down somewhere within her a small prick of pain poked at her.

Before Sunset could say anything, a ringing noise came from Flash’s pocket.

Looking down he gave her an apologetic look and mouth the word ‘sorry’.

“Hello...yeah dad don't worry ill be back soon...yeah I’m literally halfway there...i know just take it off my pay...alright I get it...fine...I’ll see you in fifthteen.” Flash hangs up the phone and lets out an annoyed sigh. He looks up to Sunset with a small smile. “ Hey sorry but I gotta get going, my dad is being a big drag right now.” He gets up from his seat with Sunset following his actions.

The two teens walk to the door.

Putting his shoes back on, Flash turns to see Sunset staring at him and he could tell that she was trying to hide a frown growing on her face.

“Hey you want to do something tomorrow night? I heard the arcade got a new two player action game.” Flash offers to try to cheer up his fiery haired friend.

Sunset nods her head.

“After nine? I get off work around eightish?”

“Yeah that sounds fine.” Flash says standing up and tapping his foot on the ground adjusting his work shoes.

Without any warning, Sunset wraps her arms around him. She buries her face into his chest and squeezes tight.

Flash was caught off guard but he quickly wrapped his arms around her.

“I’m....I'm so sorry.”
“For what?” Flash asks, giving her a confused look.

Sunset stayed quiet for a bit before answering him.

“When we were together...I was...terrible to you.” She tightens her grip on his shirt. “You would always try so hard for us...for me, but I just waved you off like you were nothing.”

A small frown grew on Flash’s face as he knew exactly what she was talking about.

“You're right,” he says, making Sunset hold her breath worrying for the worst. “But that's not you anymore.” Slowly the frown morphed into a smile. “Ever since you found your friends you've become a completely different person than who you used to be.”

His words caused her heart to calm down and let her breathe.

“Though there was one thing I liked about your old self.”

“Ha and what was that?” Sunset asks.

“Your determination.” This made Sunset think what he meant. “When you wanted something you never gave up on reaching for it… yeah some of your methods were a bit...sinister, but you never gave up.

There was no answer, but he did feel her shift in his arms. It only took a few minutes for her to answer him.

“Thanks Flash...for everything.” Sunset says her head is still in his chest. Her cheeks are bright red but thankfully are hidden.

Flash smiles knowing full well that she was hiding her face on purpose.

“Hey like i said it's what friends are for.”

The two teens said their farewell with the blue haired teen leaving and Sunset standing at her doorway watching runoff into the distance in hope to be not too late for work.

Closing the door, Sunset walks back to her couch and takes a seat. She let out a sigh and the guilt in her head began to fade away, but she could still feel something in the back of mind.




I can't believe you punched him in the face!” Twilight scowls the rainbow haired teen next to her.

“Oh, come on! You saw what he did to Sunset.” Rainbow Dash says trying to defend herself.

Twilight gave her an annoyed look.

“We both saw he didn't do anything,” Twilight says, correcting the memory. “Sunset just ran out of the restaurant.”

Rainbow pouted, crossing her arms as the two of them were making their way to Sunset's apartment complex.

“Well if he does something then I’ll make sure he gets another bruise on his other eye.” Rainbow threatens.

Twilight rolls her eyes at the teen’s violent attitude.

“Let’s find out what's wrong first before you start swinging your fist again”

When the two arrive at the apartment complex they search for the door to Sunset's housing. Once they find it, Twilight walks in front of Rainbow Dash and knocks on the door a couple of times.

No answer.

Twilight was about to knock on the door again but was beaten to the chase by Rainbow Dash who literally slams on the door.

“Hey Sunset are you in there?” The rainbow haired teen shouts.

Twilight was about to scowl at her, but the opening of the door stopped her.

Sunset pops her head out a towel draped over her shoulders and her hair still wet.

“Oh, hey guys…I was just about to call you.”

Both Twilight and Rainbow gave her a confused look. Just a few hours ago I saw the fiery haired girl run away crying and now here she was calm as a whistle.

“Sunset are you…” Twilight starts though she was interrupted by her companion next to her.

“What the heck happened to you? Did Flash do anything to you because if he did then i’ll make sure to make him mmmffgfg!” She was finally silenced by Twilight who covered the rainbow haired girl's mouth with her hands.

“What Rainbow Dash is trying to say is that are you okay? You gave us a big scare when you just ran out like that.” Twilight says with a worried look, but her expression morphed into something of disfigured as she felt a warm slimy feeling running over her hands. She immediately pulls her hands away from Rainbow's mouth with a line of saliva connecting her hand to her mouth. Twilight's eye twitched as she stared at her hand to the teen nexts to her. “Rainbow! Ew ew ew ew!”

A small laugh came out of sunset as she watched her friends interact with each other. Quickly, she invites them in and also offers Twilight a cleaning cloth for her hands.

They gave her a few minutes to finish drying herself up before the three of them sat on her couch.

It didn't take long for Sunset to tell them what went on in her apartment an hour ago. The talk she and Flash had and also a quick apology for leaving them out of the blue, but of course the two of them understood. And yes she did leave some details out though not out of trust, but mainly because she wanted to keep of few of those moments a secret.

“Wow, so are you guys like dating again?” Rainbow asks bluntly.

“What? No, we're just good friends.” Sunset says a small blush coming on her face.

Rainbow caught signs of this, a sly grin forming on her face, but before she could utter a single word, Twilight pushed her face to the side.

“Ignore Rainbow.” Twilight says with an annoyed look.

“Hey!”

Instead of giving a response, Twilight wraps her arms around Sunset embracing her in a warm hug.

It was a tad bit random but Sunset didn't mind so she just hugs back. A second later Rainbow Dash joins on the hug wrapping both teens in a big bear hug.

“You know you didn't have to give Flash a black eye.” Sunset says still being embraced by both girls.

“Shhhh detail details.” was the athlete's only response as she hugged the two tighter. “So...you guys want to get something to eat?” Rainbow asks, pulling away from the hug.

“Seriously? We just ate like an hour n half ago.” Twilight answers.

“Well I got some leftovers in the fridge if you're really that hungry.” Sunset offers.

“Sweet! Sunset you're a lifesaver.”

Sunset just gave a two finger salute and got up from her couch.

The three spent the rest of the day just staying in Sunset's apartment.

When the day came to an end and her friends left, Sunset was left alone in her living staring blankly off in the distance. Thoughts of her talk with Flash snuck its way back into her mind followed by the intimate moment they both shared. She felt that her heart began to beat a few speeds too high. Calming her head, Sunset lets out a small breath and closes her eyes to calm herself.

Opening her eyes back up a smile grows on her lips as she begins to feel the guilt and pain of her past memories begin to seep out of her memories and begin to be replaced by her newer ones.

Author's Note:

Hey guys I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!