• Published 7th Oct 2016
  • 4,533 Views, 73 Comments

Let's try again - Bru-swan-sen



Ever since their trip to camp Everfree, Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry has rekindled their friendship. All seems well and good but when the two begin to realize something about themselves.

  • ...
10
 73
 4,533

Chapter 6

It was the next day, Sunset and some of her friends stood in front of a large restaurant that was named Sentry Diner.

Out of the seven friends only two could make it today with Sunset. Behind her stood Rainbow Dash and Twilight, sadly, everyone else is too busy with either work or family.

The three teens enter the restaurant only to be greeted by a large group of other customers who were waiting to be seated. It seems that the special offer was not ignored by the rest of the town.

“Well give it to the most popular restaurant in town to be backed up on a day like this.” Rainbow says.

“Is it really that good?” Twilight asks.

“Wait, are you telling me you haven't been here?” Rainbow shouts causing other patrons of the restaurant to stare at the girls. Sunset gives them an apologetic look allowing them to go back to their own business.

“Well, I’m usually home…studying, I don’t really have that much time to spend eating out that much.”

Rainbow gave her a smug look.

“Not unless a certain green haired boy asks you to come out and “play” hmmm?” Rainbow teases her. This causes the purple hair teen to blush and turn her attention somewhere else. The rainbow hair teen turns to look at Sunset who still looked as bad as she did earlier. “Sunset you okay?”

“Wha?” Sunset shakes her head as she turns to look at Rainbow Dash who gave her a worried look.

Hearing this, Twilight turns to look at Sunset as well a similar worried expression on her face.

Ever since last night’s memory show, Sunset couldn’t get a good amount of sleep. She woke up with puffy eyes and an aching back since she fell asleep in an awkward position. She didn’t even do any of her morning routine. It wasn’t until her friend came to her apartment later in the afternoon to walk over to the restaurant that she casually cleaned herself enough to look presentable.

“Yeah fine…I’m just tired that’s all.” Sunset waves at her while giving them a cheerful smile.

Both girls gave her a worried look as they stared at her.

Before either of them could say anymore, a familiar looking server came up to them.

“Hey girls.”

“Wow Flash way to rock the *snicker* do.” Rainbow says, trying her best to hold back her laughter. After a minute of trying, the rainbow haired girl couldn’t hold it in any longer. She began to laugh with her hands on her stomach bending over at the sight of the blue hair rocker.

Her laughter makes some of the customers look her way with annoying stares.

Flash rolls his eyes and turns his attention to the other two girls.

Twilight waves a silent hello at him in which he returns with a smile.

Sunset on the other hand keeps her eyes on the ground making sure not to make any eye contact with him.

Flash was going to say something, but was interrupted by Rainbow who finally stops her laughing fit.

“Man, I’m starving. Are you finally going to seat us?” Rainbow Dash asks.

Flash looks at Sunset once more before turning to Rainbow.

“Yeah just follow me I can get you guys a seat,” Flash says, picking up a few menus. “Booth or chairs?”

“Chairs.” Rainbow says without looking at the other two.

Flash turns to twilight and Sunset, Twilight just shrugs and Sunset keeps her eyes on the floor. Turning around Flash guides the three to their seats, he made sure they couldn’t see his worried expression. He sits them down by a table near the window and places down three menus for them.

“Alright, I’ll be back with some water and bread.” Flash walks away to get them some bread and water.

Rainbow leans back on her chair with her arms resting behind it.

“Man, I’m starving!” Rainbow says. “This new endurance workout has been running me dry.”

Twilight pushes her glasses up as she turns to look at her.

“If you’re doing a workout shouldn’t you be on a strict diet?” Twilight asks. All she got was Rainbow just waving her off who just looked down to her menu trying to decide on what to choose. Twilight rolls her eyes and turns to Sunset who has a nervous look, her eyes scanning the room as if scared that something might pop out at her. “Sunset, are you alright?”

Sunset seemed to not have her hear her and kept on watch.

Twilight was going to say something again, but her phone began to ring. Looking down, she sees that it was Timber Spruce and a picture of his smiling face appears on her phone screen.

Rainbow leans forward and see’s the face on the screen. A sly grin forms on her face as she watches Twilight accept the call. Before the young egghead could say hello, cyan hands snatch the phone away from her.

“Hey!” Twilight tries to grab her phone but she is too slow as the sports enthusiast teen sits back on her seat. She reaches over to take back her phone, but seeing the big smirk on Rainbow’s face already tells that she is too late.

Rainbow’s smirk only lasted for a few seconds before she began to laugh causing everyone to turn to her direction once again. She seemed to not care at all as she kept on laughing leaning back enough to almost fall off out of her chair.

“Jeez Twilight, who would’ve thought you were a sweet talker.” Rainbow says, wagging her eyebrows as her eyes continue reading her phone. “Oh! Maybe you’d like it if I called you…”

Before Rainbow could finish her sentence, a scrunched-up napkin hits her face causing her to stop her speech. She blinks her eyes confused on what just made contact on her face.

And with the speed that no one would have ever suspected, Twilight swipes her phone out of her hands. This even got Sunset’s attention, making the redhead stare at her with wide eyes.

Both Sunset and Rainbow stare at her completely shocked by her sudden speed. They turn to stare at each other and then back to her.

“Jeez, if you always move like that you’d make half of Canterlot High’s soccer players look bad.” Rainbow says. “Ay…Twinkles.” A wide grin forms on the rainbow hair teen’s face as she watches her friend’s face turn a bright red.

Flash returns with a small notebook in one hand and a tray with glasses of water and a basket of bread in the other.

“Alright, are you ready to…what’s going here?” Flash asks. Twilight was red as a tomato; Rainbow Dash is trying her best to hold in her laughter and Sunset seems to be taking a note out of Fluttershy’s book and is trying her best to cover her face with her hair. “Um should I come back in a few minutes?”

“Nah, I think we’re ready to order, right girls?” Rainbow says. Twilight shakes her head hoping to shake away her blush, though no response came from Sunset Shimmer. “So, I’ll have the chicken alfredo extra chicken.”

“I’ll have the Lasagna please.” Twilight answers by placing her menu in front of Flash.

He turns to Sunset who seems to be keeping her gaze away from his.

“Lobster lunch combo." Sunset quickly says with her facing the ground.
He felt a little worried, but kept a calm expression on his face and smiled at the girls.

“Alright, I’ll put in the orders if you girls need anything else just ask for me.” Nodding his head, Flash walks away to put in the order.

When the blue-haired teen is out of sight, both Twilight and Rainbow turn to face Sunset who still has a sullen look on her face.

“Okay, what’s up? You’ve been like this since we came to your place today.” Rainbow asks.

“I’m also curious as to why you’re acting like this.” Twilight says. “Did something happen?”

Sunset still didn’t respond to either of the girls. This makes a frown grow on Rainbow’s face.

“Alright that’s it,” Rainbow jumps out of her seat and steps up on the table with one foot on her chair and the other on the table. “Sunset shimmer…what is the problem that is causing you such dismay?” She half shouts with a finger pointing directly at Sunset.

“Wow ‘dismay’ not bad Rainbow.” Twilight says mockingly.

Rainbow Dash turns her head and glares at the purple egg-head, but she quickly turns her attention back to Sunset.

Sunset’s seems to have snapped out of her gloomy expression. She was a little surprised by the rainbow hair teen’s sudden action. She blinks a few times and finally looks up to stare at both of her friends. The bags under her eyes are now in clear view causing both to flinch.

“Jee, maybe you should keep your eyes back on the ground.” Rainbow jokes which got her a well-earned flicked to the forehead. Causing her to fall back down on her chair and rub the red mark on her head.

Twilight glares at her before turning her attention to Sunset, her expression softening.

“You know you can tell us if something is bothering you.” Twilight says as she leans forward to place a hand on her shoulder. “Because seeing you like this worries us.”

Finishing with tending her sore forehead, Rainbow nods her head and smiles at Sunset.

With tired eyes, Sunset looks back at her friends and gives them a smile.

“Thanks, that means a lot to me girls,” Sunset takes a deep breath. “But to be completely honest, there isn’t much I want to say right now, it's just something that I have to solve myself.”

Both girls have a worried look on their face, but nod their heads.

“Alright, we won’t pry for you to tell us something that you don’t want us to know yet.” Twilight says. “But when you are, we'll be here to listen.”

A warm smile grows on Sunset’s face as she feels the comforting aura coming from her friends. With her inner struggle somewhat solved, Sunset is finally able to let herself breathe a little.

The three friends began to have a conversation about some of their upcoming summer plans.

A bit later, Flash walks up to their table with a tray of food.

All three girls can smell the aroma of their dishes as he stands next to their table.

“Alright, here are your entrees.” He places the dishes in front of each of their respective owners. “Enjoy your meals if you need anything else just let me know.”

Having received their meals, the girls spent most of their time eating and talk.

With her plate almost empty, Sunset got up from her seat to find the bathroom. She walks over to the back of the restaurant and if memory serves her right the bathroom should be just.

“Sunset, what are you doing back here?”

Sunset flinches as she hears the person behind her. Slowly turning around, she sees Flash standing in front of her with a tray to his side and a confused look on his face.

“I uh…uh.”

Flash walks up to her causing her to take a step back unintentionally. A worried frown forms on his face making him stop his approach.

“Hey are you alright?” He asks.

Her words were all stuck in her throat as her lips won’t open.

“If there’s something bothering you I’m here to listen.” Flash starts to walk up to her again.

The thoughts and memories from last night came rushing into Sunset’s head. A terrible pain feeling starts to grow in her chest as she stares at him.

“I’m…sorry.” She says under her breath, but Flash could hear what she said.

“What? Sorry for what?”

Panicking, Sunset didn’t know what to do and without even thinking she ran past him and began to sprint out of the restaurant without saying a single word to him.

Flash was too surprised to do anything as he watched her leave the restaurant. Shaking his head, he quickly runs over to the door to see that she was gone.

“WHAT DID YOU DO?” Roared a voice behind him.

Turning around all Flash could see was a furious looking rainbow running up to him.


Sunset ran home not making a single stop to catch her breath. When she finally reaches her apartment, she enters her home out of breath and slumps on the ground.

She couldn’t do it, she couldn’t look at him face to face. The pans from last night are still too fresh in her head. She sits in front of her door for what seems like hours with her hands covering her face.

A knock on the door causes her to jump from her spot. After a few minutes another follows, Sunset slowly walks over to the door to check the peephole to find out who it was knocking on her door. As she saw who it was on the other side of the door Sunset could almost feel the wind knocked out of her.

Flash stood in front of Sunset’s door with a small bag over his right eye and another on his left side.

“Sunset…are you in there?” He asks. “I want to talk.” After a few minutes of no response, Flash lets out a sigh turning around to leave. Just as he takes his first step, he hears the door creak open. He quickly turns around to see Sunset’s face and just like before he eyes were facing away from him. “Hey.” He says nervously.

“Hey.” She returns.

“Can we talk?” He asks.

Sunset takes a bit to think about it, but slowly she disappears behind the door and slowly opens it enough for Flash to walk in.

Author's Note:

Hey guys here's the next chapter! Hope you enjoy chow!:rainbowkiss: