• Published 5th Nov 2016
  • 1,763 Views, 41 Comments

Hearing is Believing - ShadowblazeCR



Octavia is paired with someone who, like her, are losing their mojo. She doesn't find out till later that they're losing something more.

  • ...
7
 41
 1,763

13-Beginning Of A Song

Octavia yawned, opening her eyes to be overtaken by some blue hair. She snuggled her nose into the nest of bedhead, breathing in the natural scent of what smelled like cherries. Vinyl made a noise and opened her eyes to stare back at Octavia. In response, Octavia smiled, “Good morning darling. Sleep well?”

Vinyl sat up and stretched out her whole body, Octavia took note of the way it accentuated her figure in the light. “Yeah actually, probably the best I’ve had in awhile. How about you?”

“Good, ready to get to work if I must say.” Octavia replied.

Vinyl's eyes brightened, "Great! Well, I think we've gotten distracted for long enough. Sadly, we should probably be productive. Money's gotta be made somehow ya know."

"Oh I am acutely aware of that. Do not fret dear Scratch, I have strictly budgeted for the past years because of my situation." Octavia replied, a bit bitterly for having experienced something so uplifting moments before.

Vinyl smiled, "Right, well I guess we should save messing around with the guitar and other things that aren't making money some other time."

"I agree."

Vinyl huffed, a subconscious event caused from pushing herself off the bed, "Let's get everything properly situated and start getting some samples from ya. I think we can go from there."

It was a quick set up of Vinyl moving some of the recording equipment around and sitting down at her computer while Octavia hooked up her new electric cello. The two settled quickly, ready to start the day off right. Octavia was excited to see if her groove was returning, even if somewhat. All that mattered was that they could see some sort of progress made in the session. She was excited, no matter what happened. It finally felt right to be doing what she was doing after so long not knowing. It was going to be a completely new experience with Vinyl, something that Octavia still had butterflies in her stomach about.

The cello fit nicely in her hands, the hand crafted neck among the whole body reminded her that she should be putting in just as much work to parallel the pride the craftsman had put into the cello. Octavia could tell that she was not just getting an opportunity, it was coming to her on a silver platter with the best equipment she could wish for. All she had to do was help her new partner with the same problem she was having, and it was beginning to look like a light was opening for the two of them.

"I am ready when you are Vee. How would you like to start?" Octavia asked, aware of the nuances and 'pre-game' rituals each artist had. At the end of the day, Octavia needed no interruptions during sessions as they would break her momentum for the feel that she would discover throughout the session.

Vinyl typed, clicked and tapped a few things on her setup, "Alright, I'm ready too. Lets just start with something simple, I wanna see if I can build off what you have. 'Cause right now is just that feel part of the process ya know. We gotta figure out how each other works. The results will come later."

"I suppose that makes sense. Okay then, I have a couple simple samples I have come up with in free time that I like to play." Octavia adjusted herself to get comfortable and ready to play. "How about we start with that? I assume you will free-hand what comes with it using all the equipment you have in front of you?"

"Exactly!" Vinyl said, tuning some more of said instruments. "Just start playing and I'm going to try and get something going over here."

Octavia drew her bow and glided it across the cello, appreciating the soothing noise that was produced. Her eyes closed, feeling the hard work she had previously put into the piece on her free time. The soundwaves vibrated her whole body, acting as a massage for her body and alleviating worries that had come through the past couple months. She relaxed into her seat, moving side to side slightly in cohesion with her bow. It was finally back, she could tell. Her mojo was returning in full, all because of a DJ that she had begun to like more than a friend. Maybe it was the electric personality, or the subconscious knowledge that if anything did not work out Octavia had someone special to fall back on. All Octavia could tell was that she was back in the game, and from what she could hear, it wouldn't be long till she got back to peak performance.

A smooth bass broke her out of her stupor, but she found herself feeling the electronic side of the sample adapt to what she was putting out. The treble and drumbeat came in soon afterward, and it was starting to sound like a real song. It was actually something bearable. Octavia had not been fully sure if what Vinyl was doing was going to work, her pessimistic side was too strong, but whatever was occurring surely had not been done up until them. It was a purely yin-yang combination, and it worked beautifully. Something simple that they had created gave Octavia real hope that it could change the industry like they had discussed.

After around an hour and a half of Vinyl fiddling around with her electronics to compliment Octavia's unending flow of music from her cello, Vinyl called the session. "Okay, I think that should be good for now. Lets get some food and maybe see if we can find our managers to update them. We'll try and get some sort of rough draft of a song out of what we have later today if that works for you."

"That sounds excellent Vinyl," Octavia placed her cello back in its stand, "I am quite famished from all this. Everything sounded wonderful. I cannot wait to mold this into a song."

Vinyl wrapped an arm around Octavia's shoulder, and gave a quick kiss on her cheek. "I know this sweet panini place a couple blocks away. We can chill there and call up Lyra and Bon Bon, maybe turn it into a double date, hmm?"

"That sounds nice, shall we get going." Octavia asked.

Vinyl held the door of their room open for Octavia, "We shall."

Comments ( 1 )

Really enjoying this keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment