• Published 5th Nov 2016
  • 1,749 Views, 41 Comments

Hearing is Believing - ShadowblazeCR



Octavia is paired with someone who, like her, are losing their mojo. She doesn't find out till later that they're losing something more.

  • ...
8
 41
 1,749

9-The Room

Unloading went fairly quickly with Vinyl helping and soon the lounge and hallway near their rooms were filled with instruments. The previous room for the instruments (soon turned Octavia’s room) was the second part of the plan to be cleared out. Octavia was skipping up the stairwell with the last armful of the load, excited to see the main musical room that they would be moving the instruments.

“So, where is this room you mentioned?” Octavia asked, one hand grasping the neck of a violin.

Vinyl grinned, “Oh, you’ll see, it’s the star attraction of our building. You’ll usually see someone there no matter the time of day.”

The duo continued the conversation with discussions of what instruments to keep in Octavia’s room. A few hallways, turns, even a stairwell, and the like, they had decided on finding a stand for her cello’s, a guitar or two, and a speaker in the corner. They didn’t have any furniture as it was too hard to fit in the cars, but Vinyl’s SUV would allow them to bring a few pieces over. Luckily, Vinyl mentioned that they didn’t have any mattresses, but had some money to be a new bed anyway, and she would happily contribute to the funding if needed.

The last corner was turned, and the two arrived at a door appropriately labeled Music Room. Vinyl took the lead, but as she opened the door, she didn’t enter, holding it open for Octavia. Both smiled at each other, but when Octavia turned to the room, slowly walking into it and forgetting to thank her.

“Wow.”

The room wasn’t just a room, it was a gathering place for the modern peoples. A hang out was to the right, flatscreens and a few couches, along with a table occupied the area. Then a few doors led to recording rooms to the left, bean bags were against the wall too. A hallway past the lounge gave Octavia a peek at a game room filled with tables of air hockey, pool, and other extremities she couldn’t see in her field of vision. Straight ahead held what they were looking for; a plethora of instruments. The whole wall of the room in front held an unimaginable amount of instruments, devices, tools, and a whole list of other things.

Vinyl grinned, seeing Octavia’s shocked expression, “We like the open-concept kind of deal, if you can tell.”

Octavia spun around as they walked to the instrument wall, noting that someone was playing some video game on a TV, looking a bit familiar. The pile of snacks and drinks alluded to a long session.

Vinyl took a detour to the obvious friend, smacking them on the shoulder, “Neon! Buddy, I thought we agreed on no all-nighters. We don’t wantcha dyin’ on a stream.”

“Wha?” The sleep deprived Neon turned his head to face the pair. “Oh, hey guys, I was just tryin’ to get a few more dollars for that foundation.”

Vinyl patted him on the back, “Come on man, get some sleep. Me and Octy’ll join ya later today to get the extra stuff aight?”

They received a snore in reply.

Octavia watched as Vinyl took the headset that had been resting on Neon’s head and began to speak into it, “Hey guys, gotta put ‘ol Neon to bed. Mr. Snuggles is already missing him.”

Rapid fire text sprung up from another screen beside it. Octavia looked questioningly at Vinyl while she began to shut down the electronics, “What exactly was he doing?”

Vinyl led Octavia to the wall of instruments, having finally shut down the set up, “Oh that? The stream that Neon asked if we wanted to do was what he was doin’.”

Octavia took a moment to soak in what had happened, “I would like to try this ‘streaming’.”

“Sweet! We can do it later today, like I said.” Vinyl grabbed a speaker and a few chords from the wall, “Anyway, let's get you situated.”

There was so much too choose from, making Octavia a little overwhelmed at how well the company must have been doing to afford a literal wall of instruments. “I-I...where do we start?”

“The big things we can get later, like a piano to put in the lounge, plus you have a good amount of what we need already over there.” Vinyl strutted to the left and removed a guitar from the wall. “I say we grab you an electric guitar and bass, which you’ll pick out obviously, while you do I’ll get the stands.”

Octavia took the guitar from Vinyl, admiring the sheen the red and light yellow gave off on the front. The brown neck stood out by, ironically, not standing out, as the mellow color balanced out the bodacious body coloring. Octavia nodded in acceptance, moving on to find a bass. Her jaw dropped, a glass body held the slender wooden neck together, practically calling for Octavia to hold it, to play it, to have it.

Vinyl returned with their needed accessories, to say it one way. Soon after both of them had arrived back at their rooms. And by the end of the day, with some needed breaks and lunch, they had finished transferring the unneeded instruments and furniture to their pre-planned spots. Dinner (pizza again) was finally eaten on a table, instead of the floor at Vinyl’s. Sadly, not really in Octavia’s case, they still had to get her a bed, and she was stuck with Vinyl for the time being.

“So,” Vinyl sighed as she leaned back in her chair (a small “living room” styled set up had been moved to a corner of Octavia’s room, filling the space for the bed), “tomorrow we can get to our first practice, and see how it goes from there, yeah?”

Octavia nodded, excited to show off her skills, and not just with the cello. Though if she was having a hard time with her best instrument, it would probably take awhile to get back in the groove with it and the others.

After taking a shower and getting into her new clothes (and secretly a big disappointed at not getting to share clothes with Vinyl, something Octavia hadn’t done before with a girl, space, friend), they finally were in the bed. Or Vinyl’s bed to be more specific, which Octavia was acutely aware of.

Vinyl didn’t seem to mind too much, turning to face her, “Hey, Octy…”

A bit distracted by how delicious Vinyl’s lips were, and her minty breath, Octavia replied, “Y-Yes?”

“I know I pushed you to get those guitars, but I totally forgot to even check if you could play ‘em. Sorry…” Vinyl’s face fell, but quickly lit up, “I could teach you though!”

Octavia shook her head, “No, I am quite decent at those, thank you.” But after seeing Vinyl’s face fall yet again, “However, I must say that I’m rusty and may need some assistance in recalling the chords and such.”

Vinyl grinned, “Sweet! Anyway, how’d you get into guitars? I thought you were all classical and crap.”

Octavia wasn’t about to ignore a chance to talk to Vinyl more, “Well, you see…”

Author's Note:

Here's something I've been holding for awhile. I don't know when I'll update again, but I want to thank you all for your patience.