• Published 5th Nov 2016
  • 1,763 Views, 41 Comments

Hearing is Believing - ShadowblazeCR



Octavia is paired with someone who, like her, are losing their mojo. She doesn't find out till later that they're losing something more.

  • ...
7
 41
 1,763

10-Guitars

“...When I was little, one of my cousins, Ringing Note came to visit. They were like the cool cousin of the family back then, still are to me. He had been playing with a band he started in college that got pretty popular and had come to Canterlot as part of a tour they were doing.”

Vinyl kept silent, surprisingly enough. She was actually interested in such a story, something that surprised Octavia a bit. Not to say that she didn't mind telling a few stories here and there. Telling a bedtime story to one of her children some day was a quiet goal of Octavia’s, something she hadn't told anyone. Her first impressions of Vinyl were interesting, and as the hours began to turn into days, she really saw how much she wanted to be next to Vinyl more.

“I hadn't dabbled in the then overbearing loudness that guitars created.” Octavia continued, “But it was close to my birthday and Ringing Note wanted to give me the best present he could give; a hand carved guitar.”

Vinyl whistled, “That's a mighty fine present, though I guess you're used to those huh?”

Octavia shrugged, “I suppose, my parents only gave presents that they thought would further my music career. The only gifts I received that seemed to have any actual emotional value and not monetary would have to have been the trinkets that Ringing Note sent me.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, well, compared to my life, Ringing Note was able to travel the world with his job,” Octavia smiled, remembering the stories that she was told every Christmas. “He’d sit me down in the rocking chairs out front on our porch at night when my parents were asleep and tell me of the wonders that music had brought him.”

“I can back that up,” Vinyl said, “We’ll be able to go anywhere in the world, I’m sure with your help we can do anything.”

Octavia felt a warmth blossom in her chest, “T-Thanks Vinyl, it means a lot that you said that.”

Vinyl lent back and threw her arms over on top of her head, “No problem, let’s hear the rest of your story, yeah?”

“Of course, I liked to keep the trinkets on their own shelves as my own collection of things. They were really the only things that gave my rather boring room any flare.” Octavia sighed before continuing, “Since my parents were highly against the use of the guitar, but for whatever reason pertaining to morals would not throw it away, I had to self teach myself for the most part.”

Vinyl nodded in understanding, “Yeah, that sounds like generic Canterlot parents to me.”

Octavia had been come increasingly aware of the mint smell that came from Vinyl, wanting to lean closer to Vinyl to get a constant barrage of the pleasant smell. Taking a gamble she leaned on Vinyl’s shoulder, not only getting a hum of appreciation from her but a great view of her breasts. Not that a Canterlot Elite like herself would stoop to such lows to get a peek at suck perky cherries.

“Octy?”

A poke in the forehead broke Octavia out of her stupor, “Hey, you like what you've seen so far?”

“W-What? I don't want to think that you're assuming what I think, but I can assure you that someone of my stature would never stoop so low.” Octavia sputtered, trying to look away, to find anything else to look at. Even though it was quite painful to do so.

Vinyl tisked, “Sure, sure. Anyway, you still keep in touch with your parents? Or were they too strict and annoying for you to want to even talk to them anymore?”

Octavia took a deep breath, sinking into a blissful state that she hadn't ever thought she would be in with someone like Vinyl, “Well, I cannot say that they were in my highest favor when I went to Canterlot University, but I wasn't so annoyed that I cut off ties. I stuck with letters every once in awhile and still do. How about you?”

“You mean my relationship with my parents?”

“Yes, that's correct.”

Vinyl seemed to have understood her intentions with leaning her head on her shoulder because she took full advantage when she shifted to sling her arm around Octavia, “Hmm, there's not much to tell. They were pretty much the opposite, only strict when they really needed to and let me follow the path that I wanted. Surprisingly, I went to the Canterlot College, near you. My Mom works as a teacher in the High School near where my dad’s music shop is. They don't do much honestly, probably nothing like your parents.”

Octavia tapped Vinyl’s knee in thought, “Well, I would say that they are doing alright. Last I heard from them was that my father’s teaching at some prestigious music academy and my mother is producing soundtracks for some blockbuster movies. They really can never sit down I must say, I can see them working until age takes them.”

“Dang, that’s crazy. I couldn’t imagine working the much for that long, my parents have always said they would hand off the store once they felt it was time.” Vinyl had slowly begun to realize the person that Octavia was. Her tenacity she had shown to break free from her pressure from her parents and societal norms was admirable and admittedly attractive.

“Yes, well, I haven’t been in the best of contact with them. Letters only give and receive so much information. So, I suppose things could have changed, but I doubt it.” Octavia sighed, “Once I can get to a point I am happy and proud of myself, I’ll move on from letters and visit them.”

Vinyl knew she had chosen the right person to help her get her mojo back. She was confident that Octavia’s drive would motivate her to actually get back in the groove. And having Octavia with her throughout the whole journey was motivating unto itself.

“So,” Vinyl smiled as she thought about what she was going to ask, “Tell me more about the guitar.”

Octavia chuckled, “I see what matters to you Scratch. Hmm, let’s see…”

Author's Note:

I have to apologize for the long times between updates, but nonetheless here’s some more. There’s some more material saved up so stay tuned, I’ll be putting out more chapters this month. Thank you to everyone who’s stuck around.