• Published 5th Nov 2016
  • 1,762 Views, 41 Comments

Hearing is Believing - ShadowblazeCR



Octavia is paired with someone who, like her, are losing their mojo. She doesn't find out till later that they're losing something more.

  • ...
7
 41
 1,762

5-One More Time

“Come on Octy, try again.”

Vinyl stood in the doorway to Octavia’s room, or rather the music room. She had a serious face, which also seemed to have a bit of hope.

Octavia sighed in defeat, “I can't Vinyl. If I can't do this right, the way I want, then there's no point in this whole partnership. All it will be is the abysmal strings of notes that have been coming out for the past, what? Twenty minutes?”

Vinyl chuckled and shook her head, “It's more like an hour and a half, but sure.”

Octavia reared her head back in shock, I've been playing for that long? Most of the time she could only play before she'd quit for another few days, or the neighbors would complain about the noise.

“Wow.”

Vinyl smiled, “See, just one more time and then you can stop. I know you've had problems with this, Octy, I do my research. But I've heard the raw stuff, the music that's you, that's why I wanted you to be my partner.” She paused. “Though I'm kinda surprised I didn't recognize you at the restaurant, I've seen a few of your concerts, huh.”

Octavia picked back up her bow and slumped against the chair, “Fine, I'll try once more, then we go back.”

Vinyl nodded, smiling about winning the small argument, “Sounds good, all you need is to focus. Think of why you first began playing music, don't think of what you should be doing, think of what you want to do. Make the cello your bi-”

“I get it Scratch.” Octavia reverted back to her previous position of playing, something that would happen for the last time that day. Viny sat down on a chair close to Octavia, gesturing for her to start.

And that's what she did, a deep inhale followed her preparing the bow to slide across the strings. Her thoughts and surroundings faded until it was just her, the bow, and the cello. Octavia wanted to have it work, all she needed to do was focus and, like Vinyl said, it would work out. The bow crawled across the strings, creating sounds that were bland in comparison to what she was able to make.

Octavia took a deep breath, thinking of why she was a musician, why she did what she did. And now that she had time to think, Octavia knew that she played the cello for a few reasons, but the most important one was the best. Sure, she did it to be known for something, she did it to have a solid life, but the biggest reason she was a musician made her proud to play.

It was for influence, not to make people do what she wanted, obviously. Octavia played music to influence the future generations of musicians, to make something that they would look up to and find inspiration, but also spread music everywhere for anyone to hear and enjoy. She smiled and felt slightly renewed at the revelation, giving her some much needed motivation to try and make the bow do what she wanted, not what was required.

And for the upteenth time that day, the bow flew across the strings of the cello. This time though, she was controlling it, just ever so slightly. And it made a difference, a noticeable difference in fact, in the sounds of the piece. While it did make a difference in the piece, it affected something else; Octavia herself.

She'd thought that the idea of partnering up with another musician, especially a musician of a genre that she didn't particularly like, wouldn't have even worked on the drawing board. But now that she sat across from the very thing that she had doubted, and was able to change how she played just ever so slightly, she knew that whatever was going to happen from then on would be worth it.

Vinyl laughed, “See Octy, what'd I tell ya, it's all about the focus.” She noticed Octavia’s eyes had begun to water, “Hey, hey, this is supposed to be an awesome step into gettin’ you back on track. I get that I'm an amazing instructor, but it's nothing to cry over.”

Octavia sniffled, wiping away the tears congregating in her eyes before they fell, “N-no, it's just that it's been so long since I've been able to play so freely. Thank you so much Vinyl.”

Vinyl huffed as she got up from her chair, meandering her way over to Octavia, “I just gave you some tips, you're the one that used them. I mean, go ahead and praise me more, just remember that the tips don't mean anything if you don't follow them, yeah? So you helped my ego grow in that regard, someone following something I said doesn't happen that often, surprisingly enough.”

Octavia looked up at Vinyl, hiccupping a bit, “Really?”

Vinyl nodded, enveloping Octavia in a warm hug, which she most definitely needed. Vinyl’s soft breasts pressed against her head were definitely an added bonus, seeing as she had been wearing a deep V-neck it wasn't just that her breasts that were pressing against Octavia’s face, it was skin on skin. Octavia sighed in happiness, all her worries melted away as she pretty much snuggled in between Vinyl’s bosoms.

Whether Vinyl had noticed Octavia was better or had found out that she was a little too much better, she pulled away and grinned at Octavia, “Alright, we can worry about all this music crap later, what's today by the way?”

“Friday.”

Vinyl checked her phone anyway, “Huh, cool, we’ll have the weekend to start something. Okay, let's get back to my office room thing,” She sighed in annoyance, grumbling, “Whatever the heck I'm supposed to call it. My crib, abode, room, office, why not all of them, hm?”

Octavia laughed and followed Vinyl out the door. Her eyes widened as she took in the changed office of Vinyl’s. The couch was now a bed, covers followed over it, along with pillows that dotted the floor and the bed itself. It seemed anything that would have been hazardous was moved to the recording room, while the desk and all the monitors to the right of the room were mostly still there, but a large blanket made a tent from the desk to the couch.

Vinyl noticed Octavia’s reaction to the overwhelming change to the room and grinned, “Let our sleepover begin!”

Author's Note:

Well, here's another little chapter for you all. I'm probably going to have these chapters stay the length they've been, as I need to focus on writing one of my larger stories and this is still something for me to use as a break from writing said story. A new chapter should still come out pretty frequently, I think about every other week still. Hope you all enjoyed!