• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 4,272 Views, 56 Comments

The Ripple Was a Tidal Wave - Lawrin



Twilight, Princess of the dragons. Moondancer, the saviour of Equestria. Cadance, a bride-to-be acting strange. The world is peaceful but it is fragile. Not all powers are willing to compromise and the delicate balance is tilting.

  • ...
4
 56
 4,272

2. Distrust

The silence hung oppressively, almost crushingly in the air.

The throne room was a marvel to admire when the morning sun shone with its brightest and purest light. White marble statues of illustrious scholars, fierce warriors and holy priests supported the weight of the roof along pillars of white stone. Though the Hall of Elements lacked wards against rain and wind, the tall effigies hadn’t lost any of their sharpness nor their details.

An atmosphere of peace usually surrounded this sacred place. Even the emperor rarely used this room out of respect. But today was not such a day.

The early spring breeze cooled the warmth brought by the sunlight as pairs of eyes darted furtively between the standing figures of the honorary princess, Twilight Bacyvileía, and Emperor Glaurensúg.

Twilight’s stance was straight and rigid. She carefully kept a detached expression despite the swirling anger and anxiety in the pit of her stomach. She was stubbornly retaining herself from responding to His Majesty’s words but she was on the verge of abandoning. She already knew she could never refuse a request, even less a mission, from her Royal Uncle.

Glaurensúg emanated an overwhelmingly dominant aura and an inherent regality which made it hard to disobey him. He stared down at her from the top of the stairs leading to the carved throne. His face softened and he smiled a smile that he reserved only for the ones he loved the most. Twilight cracked.

She bowed.

“With all of our gratitude, we, Twilight of Bacyvileía will be honoured to receive a mission of such importance.”


“C'mon now, Twi. We're going to a pony wedding!” said a tall green dragoness, her upper body hanging from the edge of the bed. She swung her arms around in broad gestures as she talked. “It's gonna be totally awesome. I get to do nothing at all and you... well, you can learn their culture –you always liked learning about that kind of stuff– and master magic or something.”

Twilight raised her head from the marble desk, shot her a baleful glare and growled in response.

Haerod Bacyvileía Cefnor, third princess of Draigdraeth, the land of the dragons, scrambled into a sitting position with the grace of a Flobberwurm (the Tatzelwurm's lesser cousin), and thrust her claws into the air. “Wow, someone's feeling touchy here. And that someone's obviously not me,” she laughed, trying to alleviate the tension Twilight emanated.

Yet, Twilight continued to groan in a manner akin to the aggressive Komodo dogs. Seeing her sullen cousin, Haerod sighed, her face turning serious as she leaned in and scrutinized. She scratched her head and asked with a concerned voice, “Seriously, Twi, why are you even so irritated?”

As if she didn't already know.

“Equestria,” she grinds out.

“Yeah, I realize,” she says in a flat, unimpressed voice. “I meant why are you so –how should I say this– hostile towards the ponies in the first place.”

The mare opened her mouth, poised to fire a scathing reply, but it never came. In fact, Twilight froze, slightly confused by her own reactions. Just why did she detest the idea to its core? A dozen excuses shot through her head but none were particularly pertinent or convincing. She would fool neither herself nor her friend. The real answer to Haerod's question was a mystery, for Twilight herself couldn't quite put her hoof on it. Apprehension wrung her stomach like a wet cloth but the cause was unknown. It frustrated Twilight to no end.

“I don't know,” she quietly admitted, slouching back onto the desk, her head still directed towards Haerod. “I don't know why I don't want to go. Maybe I just don't like ponies?”

For an instant, Twilight thought Haerod's face screwed into a frown of understanding but when she blinked, her cousin was wearing her usual easy grin. “Well, for someone who hates ponies, you sure seemed enthusiastic about the idea when Father suggested it. Not a hint of irritation,” she said, claws motioning to underline invisible words.

As Twilight stared at her cousin—who was possibly the only friend of her age she had— she wondered, not for the first time, why in world did she continue talking to that tease. Her reply was an obvious jab at both the way Twilight behaved around the Dragon Lord and how she stormed into Haerod's room to sulk after the uncomfortably brief meeting.

“You know I couldn't possibly express discontentment when Uncle—no, Haerod, I will never call him Dad Number Two—obviously did that for my sake,” sighed Twilight. “And no matter how weak common ponies are, a good economic relationship with them can be tremendously profitable.”

“Also, you could finally learn more magic. While I admit that you came pretty far for someone who had to figure out everything by herself, you could do with more spells than levitation and shielding. By the way, I’m sure Dad’ll be overjoyed if you called him Dad Number Two. That's basically what he is to you. I don’t understand why you won’t,” she said, leaning on the wall while casually liming her claws with the stone she had grabbed from her bed stand.

Twilight grumbled under her breath. Obviously, Haerod agreed with the emperor; Twilight should learn more of her pony heritage. She knew they were right and perhaps she shouldn't feel so annoyed. Also, Dad Number Two is obviously disrespectful: His Majesty should never be second and Twilight will not call him her dad either.

The unicorn had accomplished amazing things for someone with no guidance. For example, the magical watchtower her Royal Uncle had officially commissioned from his niece. From the window, Twilight eyed the massive grey watchtower situated just outside the royal palace of the capital city, Ionad Y Mynyd. It was her masterpiece. Though the basic structure had been drawn by experts, every single stone had been laid down and cemented with only Twilight’s magic. As she’d worked, she had woven a dozen impermeable shields which would be activated when the invisible barrier detected a certain amount of rainfall. It prevented floods and protected the city from landslides. The tower had been completed within two month, at least five times faster than normal workers. Not to mention she had reinforced the walls of some buildings surrounding the tower during that two months period.

Had a crazily loyal scribe not burnt down the entirety of the Equestria section of the imperial library two hundred years ago, Twilight was sure she could have gone even further. All things considered, she should've been immensely proud of herself.

But she wasn't. A tiny, nagging voice in the back of her head constantly reminded her that it would've never been enough. Equestria surely held extensive archives detailing every aspect of magic—some which Twilight couldn't even begin to fathom—in their royal libraries. How could the knowledge gained from her pathetic little experiments measure up to that?

It felt like a bitter defeat.

Eyeing her sulking cousin, Haerod tapped the spot next to herself. “Twilight, if you are sad, please remember you are always welcome to talk to me,” said the dragoness, her voice comforting. Moments like this reminded Twilight of why she always felt so insulted when some dragons acted as if Haerod were an insensitive idiot, unable to understand delicate situations. It reminded her that those petty baronets from the countryside would always remain petty baronets from the countryside. “That is, if you bring me the fresh blood of a virgin and all your demonic arithmetic books on a sunless day,” whispered Haerod in a conspiring tone, her claws cupping her mouth.

Startled by her cousin's sudden shift of tone, Twilight let out a laugh.

”Don't even pretend. I know for a fact that you love arithmetic and you're only after my rare, ancient books. Your ridiculous ploy doesn't fool me.“

She magically lifted a pillow and aimed at Haerod's snickering face. Her target groaned in surprise. A satisfied grin appeared on Twilight’s face as warmth flooded her and, suddenly, she wasn’t worrying about the visit to Equestria or her insecurities anymore.


The stained glass cast colorful images depicting various mythical events on the white marble flooring of the Canterlot Castle Legends Hall. Seven mares walked in. Their chattering and the clopping of their hooves were the only disturbance in the perfect silence. Within the group, Minuette monologued about the scientific discovery of her new friend, a certain Doctor Whooves. Moondancer slowly but surely zoned out. She could feel guilty later. The noises faded to the back of her mind. She only snapped back into focus when she noticed that Bonbon was lagging behind, staring intently at the illustration of the Pillars.

A stylized Nightmare Moon stood in the middle, hooves raised menacingly and evil eyes opened wide, as her black heart shattered. Encasing the enemy was a six pointed star, formed by two perfectly symmetrical triangles. Surrounding it was a perfect circle, joining the six mares residing at the extremities of the barrier as they glowed with auras of different hues.

“You know, I always forget you're heroes,” said Bonbon, wrinkling her muzzle. “You all just seem… so normal.”

Moondancer laughed and replied, “We are normal. Our bond is the special thing here. We were simply able to prove it.”

Bonbon turned to face Moondancer, a searching expression plain as day. The scrutiny lasted for a while before a smile formed on her lips wordlessly, as if satisfied by what she had found.

“You say it modestly but you're really bragging, aren't you?” She said, teasing, and Moondancer grinned back sheepishly.

“I guess I am. You guys really are so special to me though. It’s like my friends are the pillars supporting me. Without you all, I would've collapsed long ago.”

“Wow, that was really cheesy,” said Bonbon, a smirk playing on her lips. “I like it.”

They stood in companionable silence in front of the portrait, the peaceful and slightly mystical atmosphere of the hall naturally losing them in the flow of time and making the intricate details of the tall stained glass window all the more beautiful.

“Uhm...Are you really sure I should meet the princess with you guys?” she said as she bit her lower lips, uncertainty dripping in her echoing voice. “I can't possibly be allowed to hear—well, you know,—that top secret stuff.” She waved her hoof around in big swipes. “Maybe I should wait for you outside. I could go see my dad or something. Yeah, I should do that.”

Surprised by Bonbon's words, Moondancer was about to protest but before she could, a hoof tapped her on her shoulders.

“You know, you two should’ve told us if you wanted stay behind. I was really surprised when I saw you missing,” pouted Minuette.

Meanwhile, Twinkleshine approached the earth pony, putting a hoof on Bonbon.

“Princess Celestia requested for you in the letter didn’t she? And the guard let you in after the scanning, didn’t he? I’m sure she wants you here.”

“Twinkleshine is absolutely right, Bonbon. You are important to the mission this time,” said a gentle, serene voice.

They all started from surprise when they heard Princess Celestia and turned to bow with utmost respect, but Trixie jumped, straightened her position immediately and dipped her head lower than the others. If the princess had found the display bizarre, she didn't show it. Instead, a small but genuine smile found its way on her ethereal features.

“Please rise,” ordered the princess. “Hello, my diligent student Moondancer, the Pillars of Order and Ms. Bonbon. I hope your day has been pleasant so far.” Princess Celestia waited for them to respond. They all nodded so, pleased, she continued on, “Normally, I would assume that you are all curious as to why you were summoned here today. However, if my speculations on Mrs. Sparkle's character are correct,”—her elegant smile slipped into an amused, knowing grin—“ you are already aware. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Captain Shining Armour of Light have arranged a marriage in a fortnight. It is meant to be a secret until the official announcement. All of you will be invited as special guests and I wish for you to take part in the planning stages of this event. I can give you a quick overview if you want. If not, the details will be in the report on the current state of affairs that Inkwell had prepared.“

Oh, Inkwell. Moondancer held back a cringe as she remembered her upperclassmate who used to exasperate even the most tenacious of professors with lengthy, detailed essays which took at least twice as long to correct. She was not ready to tackle a probably fifty page long report on a beautiful and tranquil day.

“Well, we all have our day free so...” Moondancer eyed her friends who all seemed to reflect her own distress. “We might like a summary, thank you princess.”

Celestia chuckled at their collective reaction and began talking.

“Good. To begin with, the employees will mostly be citizens of Ponyville. It serves as one of many ways to apologize for all the destruction the battle against Nightmare Moon had brought upon their town square. Luckily, in my search, I have found that one of Cadance's favorite indie designers resides there, and so did a branch of the Apple family as well as a certified party planner. They will take part in the preparation of the wedding. I already have Cadance's approval.

“For the guests of honor, the nobility will be present of course. Representatives of different regions will attend too. As per tradition, I expect the griffon community to bring two additional guests. The southern dragons have declined the invitation, like usual.

“Now, we arrive at the crux of the matter. While I hope you can help with the other facets of the preparation, I want you to concentrate on this one. Several months ago, the Dragon Lord had reached out to me in hope of reopening our borders.”

Moondancer knew that interrupting the princess would be incredibly rude, but she couldn't help herself. “The Dragon Lord!” she gasped in disbelief. “B-but it's been centuries since our last contact with dragons. They had plenty of opportunities to open borders before. Why now?” The suspicion creeping into her tone was uncalled for and, while she was fully aware of it, Moondancer was unable to curb the growing mistrust in her mind.

The dragons living in the Badlands were notoriously savage and socially primitive: Moondancer cringed as she tried to imagine a whole nation of them. A single brush with death at the claws of those creatures had been enough for a lifetime. At her sides, Moondancer felt her friends growing uncomfortable at the idea as well.

“The current Dragon Lord and I have been corresponding over the last months. He is a charming individual, truly. Entirely unlike Equestrian dragons, I must stress,” said Princess Celestia, looking into the eyes of her student. Her voice remained gentle and understanding, yet there was a finality and a hint of reprimand. Moondancer wouldn't have a say in this matter. “I had originally decided to invite him to the wedding as a sign of goodwill. Unfortunately, it coincided with the Cyhydnos. It's their sacred spring celebration,” she added when she saw her listeners' furrowed brows. “The dragons of age won't be able to attend in preparation for the holy festival and rituals. As Cadance is unwilling to delay her marriage, their two youngest princesses will be sent instead. They are around your age so I ask you to please accompany them during their stay and keep them company when needed.”

She wants me to befriend the representatives, realized Moondancer as she nodded slowly.

“Very well, that is all. Everything is in place now,” she said with a smile, hunching her back a little and relaxing her neck. “You are all free to leave. I bid you a nice day. Don't forget to read Inkwell's report,” she called, surely knowing full well how much all of them dreaded the task.

Princess Celestial beamed in amusement in face of their misery. However, the smile was not quite as... energetic as usual. It was only then that Moondancer noticed just how tired her mentor looked. Normal ponies might not realize that, but Moondancer had been the princess' student for almost ten years and knew many of her mentor's countless secrets. Exhausted, Celestia's mane always appeared to float less, her melodic voice seemed to be a tiny bit raspier, and her posture was tenser, stiffer in front of other ponies. They were all small hints but she would have noticed them earlier, had she been more attentive. A wave of guilt washed over her.

“Princess? Is there something worrying you?”

Celestia's ears twitched before she sighed resignedly, as if she had taken a spell she had spotted from far away squarely to the chest. “Perceptive as always, Moondancer. Indeed, I do have something on my mind. Luna had very recently expressed her wish to participate in the wedding planning beyond her short appearance as the co-ruler of Equestria by, for example, conducting a speech. However, seeing her current state…”

Moondancer nodded again to indicate that she knew about Luna's condition, though it was probably unnecessary. Princess Celestia must have expected her to, since she had been the one who forced Princess Luna into her current predicament. Twinkleshine, who had been working with Princess Celestia on magical mind healing, had determined that the Moon Princess' monstrous information absorbing capability was the result of the Pillars' attack on Nightmare Moon. When Nightmare Moon had been destroyed, so had been a part of Luna's psyche, which explained why her mind was destabilized. To compensate for the blank in her psyche, she was subconsciously collecting as much information as possible. When exposed to a large influx, the burden might very well cripple Luna.

“I realize her eagerness to leave her room is out of loneliness. I am currently the only one who would willingly visit in my free time, after all. The only other equine contacts she has are a few night guards who are rather distant when serving. New faces should do her some good, but I am afraid my little ponies are still understandably frightened.”

Once again, Princess Celestia had displayed one of her only habits Moondancer detested. It wasn't so much because the princess had such a habit, more so the fact that she'd ever needed to develop it. Celestia's secretive behavior in front of Moondancer's friends only reminded her constantly of what thousand years of ruling had done to the sun princess' trust. The unicorn mentally sighed before deciding her answer to her mentor's implied request.

“If Princess Luna doesn't mind,” articulated clearly, albeit reluctantly by Moondancer,“ I could keep her company sometimes.”

The way Celestia lit up, her smile radiant despite the signs of fatigue, would've pleased Moondancer if she hadn’t spotted the obvious gratitude in princess Celestia's eyes. She looked at Moondancer like she owed her student the world and Moondancer felt sickened, nauseous at the thought. She was the cause of Princess Luna's current predicament, she was the one who screwed with her mind, she was the one unfit for the Elements of Harmony. Moondancer averted her eyes. Silence hung in the air a little longer than comfortable.

“Moondancer,” the princess' soft voiced called, and the unicorn mustered all her courage to look at her mentor in the eyes.

Bathing in the light of the brilliant sun, the ugly traces of fatigue marring Celestia seemed so insignificant in face of her ethereal beauty; even more so than usual, she looked imposing, powerful, surreal. Just like the goddess that she was.

“Some of the more altruistic ponies underestimate the good their actions might bring to another's life. They tend to dwell on what they could have done better instead of the incredible things they have achieved. It is, however, not a wise course of thought. One must learn to see the light, do you understand, my diligent student?”

The meaning of the words rang loud and clear. Moondancer nodded despite the lump clogging her throat. If the warm and powerful Princess Celestia said so, then it must be true. Her mentor sent her a small smile. She turned towards Bonbon.

“I believe your father is waiting in his office, Bonbon. I am sure you all have your own businesses to take care of and so do I. I will sadly have to leave you here.”

Moondancer and her friends quickly bowed and strode out of Legends' Hall. Moondancer's heart ached. Even Princess Celestia’s words couldn't quell her suspicion towards the dragons yet. Or fill the abyssal hole that opened up in her heart when her thoughts drifted to Princess Luna.

Author's Note:

I am very sorry for how late (understatement, I know) this chapter is. The past year had not exactly been... ideal for my writing. The self-imposed pressure of improving my writing as quickly as possible had been weighing me down.
This chapter had in fact been painfully ground out, coherent only thanks to the editing I did after I wrote this. However, I feel much better now so I should update more often than before.

This chapter had been preread by the amazing De_K.

Comments ( 24 )

Holy hell it lives!

and thrusted her

This should be thrust, unless you went with the archaic version on purpose.

7867186 Thank you for pointing it out! It's fixed now

7866645 It will be alive for as long as I breathe >:)

Oh, lel, time to read then(you see, I found this and decided that if there will appear update I will try it out:raritywink:)

Hm... is there a basis for dragon names or you just kinda came up with them? The Dragon Lord's name gave me kinda Germanish vibe, but I'm not quite sure about it, especially after the name of Spike's replacement Twilight's little brother.

"Twi not wowwy. Low becom' wawy-a when big an' pwotect Twi. Pwotect Twi fwom fwya."

Am ded. My heart melted.

For an instant, Twilight thought Haerod's face screwed into a frown of understanding

The plot thickens. I think.

I can't really say anything besides so far so good. Things that I have problems with are either things that don't really matter, or the ones that will be revealed in due time, so nothing to complain about, really. Also, I've sent you a veritable bunch of possible edits via pm. Hope to see more soon :twilightsmile:

Why didn't this update in my tracking? Odd...well, good new chapter either way.

7871154 You too? Maybe there's a gremlin in the FimFic system ...

tracking for now

Hm....





I must know more.

Nice finding this one. You've me intrigued, specially with how will Twilight be met in pony land. The element bearers being completely different also brings more variation in this.
When can we expect more? :pinkiehappy:

Great chapter, glad to see this story is still alive and kicking.

Hey! You've updated! And FimFic didn't tell me! Argh! :pinkiecrazy:

Poor Luna sounds like she's having an especially rough time of things. I hope Moondancer and friends can continue to help her! And geez, Twi, way to be a pony-hater... :rainbowlaugh:

It lives! :pinkiehappy:
And for some reason the update didn't show up in my tracking list... :rainbowhuh:

Nice work.

Eeeeeee it's soooo gooood!
I don't even know why I like it so much I just doooooo!
Anyways, it's nice to see new stories coming out and not immediately dying, keep it up. Please?

Dont know how I managed to miss the update of this! Looking forward for more. :twilightsmile:

Welp poor Luna.
Wow an actual reason for why Luna isn't apart of the marriage! I never thought I would see the day that would happen! Of course it's because of her brain damage of the pillars that are a substitute for the elements. Now to wait for the next chapter.

Still loving this!
Sadly I missed when You posted this chapter but all the better because now I may not have to wait as long for the next chapter!
But really, i love this story and I can't wait for an update.

On hope this continues it is a good take on the dragon Twi, also Known must admit the suspense is truly palpable.

8389083
not the worst line up but it could be better

8389083
Nope they are the pillars of order (In a way a weaker version of the actual Elements of Harmony) and while I have my doubts of Trixie so far they don't seem that bad also I hope to see the actual Element but I'm not keeping my hopes too high.

any idea when we can expect an update and new chapter?

Why this dead?

this is an interesting story so far. I will have to keep an eye on it to see how you plan on working it going forward

Login or register to comment