• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 664 Views, 4 Comments

The Triumphs and Demises of a Sombric War - Michael Hudson



When faced against each other, who would win? Celestia, with her whole nation backing her and experience, or Sombra, a master of dark magic, and brutal beyond compare?

  • ...
3
 4
 664

Alicorns, am I right?

Author's Note:

As a heads up, this isn't meant to be taken as seriously as others in this series.

Sombra smiled as he saw the pink barrier around his capital finally fall. He had been outside those open fields for almost two days now, something that was most unacceptable. Now though, he would be able to reclaim his throne, and cast aside this shadowy visage.

His body lurched forward, black crystals forming beneath the large cloud of smoke beneath his head. He hissed into the air, and was greeted by a subject’s cries of fear. They filled him with glee as he lowered himself, becoming a large cloud of smoke that ran through the streets, chasing ponies as they attempted to flee. Despite his bit of fun, he never forgot his goal, and came ever closer to the castle.

He could feel his ethereal form begin to fade as he met the castle’s courtyard, and began raising a pillar beneath him as he rose. He could almost taste it, victory was so close. As his body came back, he contemplated what his first moves would be. Looking to the distorted reflection of his face as his hooves touched on the pillar, he knew almost exactly what first he had to accomplish. Sombra would go to a mirror, take off this armor, and begin to-

“Ding, you’ve reached your floor.”

Sombra almost froze, before looking up. Sitting on a lawn chair, an ice tea in one hoof, the crystal heart in the other, was a Celestia who wore sunglasses. Something was off though. She seemed to be shining a bit brighter, and sparks of electricity ran off of her mane. Not only that, but now there was a distinct yellow in her mane that he never recalled existing before. Then again, a thousand years had passed, and old hags were due make overs from time to time. “I would not joke if I were you. It took both your sister and you to defeat me a thousand years ago, so I should be able to-”

Sombra stopped, having felt something akin to the wind pass by his ear. While being so high up gave the wind greater force, it didn’t feel natural. What was worse, was that now, his back felt lighter, and Celestia was inspecting a red cloak with white leopard trim on the edge. “This really is a nice cloak. It’ll make a good blanket once I’m done here.”

He shook his head furiously, before snarling at the ignorant alicorn. “Give that back, and stand up! You are in no condition to face me, and yet you mock me. Do you not remember who I am?”

Celestia put a hoof over her mouth as she pulled the blanket over herself, and curled up. “Yeah, yeah, Sombra, evil shadow king, likes crystals, yadda yadda yadda.”

This was the last straw for him. Honorable or not, he was to be rid of this pest. He focused his magic, his horn glowing a pitch black. Tendrils of the aura oozed off like thick ink, before floating into the larger ball of magic forming at the tip. The ball grew with each new globule, beginning to distort the air around it as Sombra judged that it was enough. He swiveled one eye back to his target, to watch her quiver in fear.

Celestia appeared to be fast asleep, with one of her legs twitching as she hugged the Crystal Heart like a stuffed teddy bear.

One last scream ripped itself out of his lungs, and the culmination of his power, anger, hate, and pain shot towards the princess. The crystal floor cracked where it flew over, the ceiling splintered, and shattered at places, and a ghastly wail pierced the air as the dark magic made its way. Just as the area of effect would have hit the lawn chair, it met Celestia’s barrier. The explosion came with such force that despite being unable to be hurt by it, Sombra was pushed back. The floor stayed intact only due to heavy enchantments placed a thousand years ago, but the whole roof fell apart, being ripped apart by dark magic, and vaporized into dust.

When this dust cleared, Celestia took a sip of her tea again, and stood up, her barrier only now falling. “I suppose that would make it my turn then, wouldn’t it?”

Sombra opened his mouth, almost incapable of speech at this point. “How?”

Celestia slowly trotted over, before gently helping him close his mouth with a forehoof. “Well, you see, I have had a hundred years to study, learn, and discover what I may. One such thing I found was that an alicorn may take another ponies magic temporarily, but it must be willingly given. When told of your past exploits, finding volunteers was a bit less than difficult.

Sombra swallowed hard, staring into the god’s eyes as his body began to shake. “How many?”

She smiled, her horn blinding the dark king as it got ready. “Enough.”

This time, a large burst of white light radiated from the top of the castle. At first, there was darkness, boldly fighting back the vicious, all consuming magic, but as the light grew ever brighter, the darkness became smaller and smaller, shrinking until all there was, was a speck. In another moment, not even that remained.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment