• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,785 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,785

Chapters Next
The Talk of Friendship

Author's Note:

Hello and welcome to my First Starlight centered story!

Long have I awaited this day when I watched the glory and fulfilling feels of having Starlight return. After considerable thought I decided to go ahead with my idea and post it for all you to see and admire, or hate. :pinkiecrazy:

Now what crazy ideas do I have in store for you down the line? As many of you may or may not know, I'm a total Trixie fan through and through. My dedicated fans and followers know this. So what is this crazy talk about a fic not centered around Trixie? :pinkiegasp: I don't know! :raritydespair:

But none the less, I hope you all enjoy the story. As always read rate love and tolerate friends!:scootangel:

Inside Twilight's Castle, Starlight Glimmer paced back and forth in front of the main double doors that led to the Chamber of Harmony. It had been over an hour since she had been convinced by Twilight to let go of her hate of cutie marks. It was difficult for her, but it was surprising to her how much influence the Princess of Friendship had. Her words seemed too sweet with honey to be true.

And after reliving the horrible day she lost her friend, Sunburst she was all but convinced Twilight was wrong. But Twilight persisted. She promised Starlight that friendship wasn't a lie or something to fear. True, they didn't always workout, but what matters is that she had to try and make a difference when there was a problem rather than run away from it.

As she paced back and forth, she gave a great amount of thought to the princess' words. She wondered why she let her anger fill her life with such falsehood. How could she allow herself to fall so far?

Before she could think any further on the subject one of the large doors opened revealing Spike. He waved for her to join him inside. Starlight turned to face him, she gave him a small nod. Starlight took a deep breath allowing herself a moment to steel herself for whatever punishment the Elements of Harmony decided for her.

Slowly and quietly, she entered the chamber where the Mane Six sat at the Cutie Map. Each seemed to have a harsh expression with exception of Fluttershy, Twilight, and Spike. Starlight marched forward trying to seem confident and brave saying, "I'm sorry, everypony. I can't excuse what I've done in the past and willingly submit myself to whatever punishment you think is fair."

She then lowered her head in submission as the Mane Six exchanged glances. Twilight smiled and got out of her throne and walked up to Starlight.

"I've been thinking about how poorly Equestria fared without just one group of friends. Because when one friendship dies it can lead to disastrous results." Twilight said.

Starlight replied, sagging her shoulders, "I know firsthoof how true that can be."

But Twilight gave her a smile. A hopeful smile, full of kindness she hadn't seen since she had lost her friend. It filled the pink unicorn's heart with joy to see that smile.

Leaving her throne Twilight walked over to Starlight saying, "While I know it is hard to lose a friend, losing yourself along the way can be just as painful, Starlight." The purple pony stood in front of the pink unicorn and lifted her chin with her hoof so their eyes could meet, "But, if you're willing to learn, I'm willing to teach you what I know."

She the swung herself around Starlight and sat beside her, waving her hoof out to each of her friends, making Starlight follow it like a guide, "You'll have the power to make Equestria a better place."

"But how do I start?" Starlight asked skeptically.

"Starting is easy," The princess replied with a chuckle. "You just have to make a friend, and you have seven right here to start, as my student."

"Student?" Starlight asked with a tilt of her head.

"Yes, Starlight," the princess confirmed, waving to her to sit by her side, "I feel you have much to offer to Equestria, and with me as your teacher, you and I can reach out to others so they need not suffer as you have. If you let me," Twilight offered her hoof to the pink pony, who now sat by her side with a skeptical look, "I can teach you and you can teach others the true magic of friendship."

Starlight thought about the proposition. True, with Twilight at her side there was no doubt she'd learn much about friendship and the magic that comes with it. But was it true that friendship was a source of magic like the princess had said? Like a source of fuel for a train? She was sure there was more to it than that. From what she researched magic had many forms, such as love and blood magic, but friendship? Why did it seem so odd to her that friendship could be a source of magic like anything else? Perhaps she'd need to explore this before she made her decision.

Turning to Twilight, the pink unicorn smiled and pushed the purple hoof away. Twilight seemed offended by the rejection, but held onto her smile. Starlight smiled back saying, "I'm not sure I'm ready yet, Princess Twilight."

She then stood up and walked around the Mane Six, who all remained planted in their seats watching as she circled them.
"When I started to plot my revenge, I was struck hard by my grief and jealousy of you all," she paused, stopping behind Fluttershy and giving her a cold stare, "I was struck with grief when I thought I had found a true friend, only to find out it was a lie."

The timid pony shuddered and retreated behind her mane in shame. It was true she had lied, but it was to help her friends escape that horrible prison they suffered in. Fluttershy made no objections as Starlight continued, saying, "But I'm sure I would have done the same had I been in your hooves."

She knelt down beside Fluttershy, holding her hooves in hers, "Fluttershy?"

The pegasus looked into her eyes, "Yes, Starlight?"

"I have wronged you and your friends greatly. I imprisoned you and held you hostage," she paused to collect her thoughts before continuing, "I was wrong to do so. And you were right to do what you did. It hurt yes, but I think it was for the best."

She stood beside her seat. "Fluttershy, I am truly sorry for what I've done. As I stand before you can you find it in yourself to forgive me for what I have done? To you and your friends?"

The yellow mare thought about it for not more than a blink of an eye before she answered, "Yes, I do."

Starlight looked to her with tears in her eyes,"You do? After everything I've done I-"

She paused when a yellow hoof fell over her lips silencing her.

"You were angry and hurt. You lost your friends in the end. And I would be glad if you would be my friend. My real friend this times," she finished, smiling.

The answer came swiftly. Starlight lunged over the yellow pony, strangling her in a bear hug, while she broke down in a fit of tears and sobs. The waterfall of tears flushed from her eyes and her wails echoed the halls for several minutes before she was able to calm herself. She finally had a friend. A real friend. A friend with a real smile and not one of those fake ones she had gotten used to in her village.

Maybe there was something to this friendship thing after all. Fluttershy patted the mare gently on her back letting her friend cry as much as she needed. Everypony else watched. Applejack took her hat off and set it down on the table, Rainbow simply watched, trying to hide her liquid pride, Rarity teared up and wiped them away with her handkerchief, and Spike sat by Twilight, holding onto her.

She held him in her wing saying, "See, Spike? Friendship can heal even the worst wounds of all."

"And what is that Twilight?"

"The wounds of a broken heart," she replied kissing his forehead, "Well done, Starlight," Twilight whispered.

The young drake would have normally protested such an act of affection unless it was from his lady Rarity, but this time he allowed Twilight to show her affection to him. The group of friends surrounded the two ponies and pulled them together into a group hug with Starlight in the center. The mare felt a warmth in her heart she had long thought was gone. It was small but it was there.

A spark of friendship.

Chapters Next