• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,780 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,780

PreviousChapters Next
Befriending the Rainbow

Inside Twilight's castle, she and Starlight Glimmer talked about what was expected of both as teacher and student while the other Elements of Harmony went on about their day. Twilight sat in her throne next to Spikes where Starlight sat.

"So what should I do now Princess?" the pink unicorn asked.

Twilight gave a hearty chuckle saying, "Star, there's no need to call me that. Just Twilight is fine."

She flinched slightly when she noticed Starlight tearing up. The pink mare averted her gaze and wiped away the tears quickly but not before Twilight noticed.

"Hey, what's wrong?" she asked her newly appointed student.

Wiping away the last tears Starlight looked pathetically to Twilight. Her eyes were slightly red and puffy from her tears. Her cheek fur was matted with the wet and crusting over quickly. She did her best to look like nothing happened, but one look at the princess across from her said it all.

"I was just, remembering something from my past." Starlight said, letting out a sigh.

"What was it, Star?"

"THAT." she replied.

"What was?" Twilight asked again growing concerned.

"The nickname. He use to call me that before he left for Canterlot."

It took her a few seconds, but Twilight managed to put two and two together and understood what Starlight meant. She was talking about Sunburst. She was hurting. If there was one thing Twilight learned over the years being Celestia's student, was that a teacher needed to know when to comfort the student. Starlight felt lost and needed her now more than ever.

Slowly Twilight moved closer to the unicorn and wrapped her wing around her. Twilight then pulled Starlight closer pressing her body against hers. This was the same thing Celestia did whenever she felt sad or alone. Now she did the same thing for Starlight. Making her feel loved. The reaction was quick. Starlight sighed leaning into Twilight's shoulder and rested her head on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, I caused you so much trouble." Starlight said.

"Don't worry about it." The Princess said holding her friend tightly. "You've been punished enough. Now try to live your life. OK?"

"I will." she promised nuzzling Twilight's shoulder.

The two sat together lock in the warm embrace for a long time. Eventually, Starlight nudged Twilight and was released from the wing hug.

"I still can't believe you're giving me this chance."

Twilight stiffed a chuckle saying, "I wish I had met you sooner, Star. Perhaps we could have been great friends."

"Me too." Starlight agreed.

Suddenly there was a loud bang from outside. The giant double doors swung open violently as a rainbow colored blur entered the room at high speeds. A sight Twilight had grown too accustom to.

"Ugh not agi-OOF!" the purple pony let out a loud grunt as the blur ran straight into her sending them both to the ground.

Twilight found herself in a tangled knot of limbs with her friend Rainbow Dash, under a pile of fallen books. Ironically, it irritated Twilight more that the books were disorganized than her friend rushing inside and tackling her over and over again. She growled while Rainbow gave a sheepish grin.

"Heh, sorry Twilight." Rainbow offered, but Twilight simply glared at her.

As they struggled to free themselves, Starlight was busy trying not to keel over laughing. Her snickering didn't go unnoticed as Twilight glared at her but Rainbow joined in laughing fully. The princesses protest fell on deaf ears as Starlight rolled on her back laughing all out. Twilight puffed her cheeks struggling to get free and soon found her salvation from her tangled prison.

"You two are so alike it's scary." she muttered walking over to the books and levitated some up to their shelf.

Starlight managed to find some level of control over herself. Standing she wiped a tear away and helped with putting the books away. Rainbow helped with the highest shelf of books and in a minute all the books were back in place, relatively. Once finished Twilight went to to tedious task of rearranging the books.

W hile she did so she asked wondered what brought her friend in such a hurry. Not turning from her task she asked, "So Rainbow, what brought you here in such a hurry? And can't you use my doors like they're suppose too next time please?"

"OH! That's right!" she turned to face Starlight with a happy grin. "Heard you defended Pokey today. And I heard you made a friend out of him."

"Why yes, he was being harassed in the street so I offered to help him."

"Yeah I think it's cool how you stood up for him." Rainbow said proudly. "But aside from that I was hoping to see if Twilight wanted to go flying with me today."

"Sorry Rainbow, but your crash reminded me that I need to reorganize the library in the castle by tonight." she replied sadly, "Perhaps, Star, would be willing to join you?"

"You mean Starlight can fly?! You can?!" Rainbow asked excitedly bobbing her head up and down.

"Well, compared to a pegasus it's really not that impressive. I can only fly as fast as you can hover mostly. But I managed to get good enough to get some speed out of it." Starlight proudly claimed.

Rainbow could barely contain her excitement at the thought of having a new fly buddy. Quickly she flew over the pink unicorn and tapped her horn gently so she would not hurt her. "Can you please show me?"

"Sure. Come on." Starlight turned and waved to Twilight. "See you later Princess!"

Said princess rolled her eyes not taking her eyes off the books. She smiled slightly and waved back. "Bye Starlight. See you back here later, OK?"

"Right!"

Exiting the castle Starlight ran out with Rainbow at her tail eagerly awaiting to see Starlight fly. Running out without so much as slowing a beat, Starlight lit her horn and surrounded herself with a magical aura. With one mighty leap she flew skyward leaving an awestruck pegasus behind.

She watched as Starlight flew to the sky. While nowhere near as fast as even the most average pegasus, Rainbow was impressed by the speeds Starlight managed with just magic alone. Quickly she bolted sky bound leaving her signature rainbow stream behind. flying beside Starlight, Rainbow flew in around her in circles while she flew up towards a set of clouds. Using another layer of magic, Starlight made several clouds into rings and flew through them while she used her magic to make them move in erratic patterns.

Up and down, side to side she flew with such elegance it made even Rainbow a bit envious.

But that only fueled her inner fire. With passion for flying burning inside her, Rainbow took after Starlight and followed her through the rings.Starlight caught wind of Rainbow and with a mocking grin she lifted the rings high above in a cylindrical fashion and shot straight up through them. Rainbow grinned and followed close behind.

Just then the rings began to separate but with her speed and nibble body Rainbow clumsily flew through each ring. A rather impressive display if Starlight had to say. But the fun was just beginning.

She quickly went into a nose dive and released her flight spell going into a freefall. The cloud rings followed close behind her slowly they crept around Starlight until they were all in a row in front of her like a Behind Rainbow flew down towards her with incredible speed. Rainbow not wanting to be out done pushed herself as much as she possibly could chasing after the unicorn.

She narrowed her body and focused on the clouds in front of Starlight. Taking a quick glance back Starlight saw the pegasus slowly gaining on her as a sonic cone formed around her. Then she got an idea. She spun her body around to face the pursuing pegasus and asked, "Is that all you got Rainbow Dash?" she said with a friendly mock tone.

Rainbow Dash smirked and redoubled her efforts to catch up with her with a sonic rainboom. Starlight waved at the pegasus challenging her. The friendly competition had reached its peak. As Rainbow descended on the unicorn the mach cone around her condensed down more and more as she picked up speed. Then in the blink of an eye an explosion of rainbow followed by the loudest boom Starlight ever heard rang in her ears, as Rainbow Dash hurled past her quickly changing her trajectory and flew up into the sky.

Starlight quickly acted. Firing her crystal spell in the rainboom she created a large condensed shard of crystal before firing a sonic beam shattering it to pieces. When combined with the rainboom the shards created an magical light show the likes of which had never been witnessed before. The shards flew around in random tangents while light from the rainboom reflected in them sending a sparkle of rainbow colored beams in every direction.

Rainbow Dash stopped dead in her tracks to see the spectacle herself. Seeing Starlight's spell work in such a manner made her feel proud to be part of something so spectacular. She wondered what the Wonderbolts would have said had they seen this. Flying beside her new friend, Rainbow wrapped a wing around Starlight, who used her magic to gently settle them both on the ground below.

For over a minute they watched their work proceed through and phase out of existence. Feeling inspired they cheered.

"That was, AWESOME! You are truly an amazing unicorn, Star!"

"Was there ever any doubt?" Starlight replied with a laugh.

With that the two walked into Ponyville ready to take on the day.

Friendship gained: :heart::heart:

Author's Note:

So there we have it folks!

Friendship made with a little friendly competition. Hope you enjoyed the show there will be more to come soon! As always read rate love and tolerate!

PreviousChapters Next