• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,779 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,779

PreviousChapters Next
Minecraft Mishap

Author's Note:

Hey guys and gals!

So i have a bit of an experimental chapter here to see i I can do a type of style in writing or not. Given the short amount of time I gave myself 'm not to sure about it so I'd like to hear from you guys on your thoughts on the chapter.

So let me know what you thought and whether I should do it again or not. KK?

Hope you all enjoy!

The next morning Starlight awoke beside Twilight Sparkle surrounded by a tower of books. It took her a moment to remember that she fell asleep here with the bookworm the night before and never went back to her room to sleep. She shifted under the mares purple wing, careful not to disturb the purple princess. She stretched feeling a soreness in her body from the hard floors.

She cringed at the sound of her bones and limbs cracking, but she felt relieved when the sore stiffness in her body began to fade away. She left Twilight, who snuggled up against a book mumbling in her sleep, and left to go to the kitchen.

The venture to the kitchen was relatively uneventful. Starlight greeted some of the newly recruited guards and maids until she reached her destination.

In the kitchen she made herself a hearty breakfast consisting of toast, hay bacon, eggs, and milk in very generous loads. Eating by herself she was done within ten minutes and cleaned up the mess shortly afterwards. She then left the kitchen and went back to her room where she saw her Ponystation 4 at the corner of her room and trotted over to it.

The sleek black box of fun was probably her biggest guilty pleasure. Twilight frowned upon seeing the device for the first time saying it wasn’t something Starlight should be wasting her valuable time with. After a stern talking to from Celestia, in no short thanks to Luna, Twilight relented and allowed the, “mind rotting device” to be played by her faithful student. Granted, it was at the peak of their fight with each other which probably contributed to Twilight’s attitude to the Ponystation.

Not that Starlight cared. She spent many hours online with Button and her friends playing games like Minecraft and a very hard game series called Dark Souls. Starlight loved those games while Button and the others felt it was too hard, Trixie was her current companion in the game for most of the time when things got too difficult.

Today however, Starlight was hoping to see everyone online so she could play with them on Minecraft. After powering up the console she sat on a large plush couch she bought with her allowance, and rested on the big fluffy cushions like a cat with her controler in her magical grasp.

The console signed in automatically and she immediately looked at her friend list. Everyone was on Minecraft except Silver Spoon. Shesaw they were on Buttons world labeled, Glimmering Star. It made Starlight d’aww every time she saw that. It was so sweet how much Button looked up to her even knowing she was older than him, and loved him for it.

She joined the world placing on her headset which was a simple wired one and listened in as her small pink pony figure appeared in the middle of a small block house. Several voices were tripping over each other as she joined, a clear indication something was going horribly wrong. Listening in she heard Trixie complaining to the others who were arguing with her.

“Trixie is telling you Silver was supposed to have the potins, not Trixie!” The showmares voice screamed over the mic, making Starlight cringe.

Sweetie Belle's voice, annoying and squeaky as it was, was talking to Trixie in a scolding manner. “Well, if you say you’ll handle something in the absence of another you should DO it.”

Another voice belonging to Rumble,joined in the conversation shortly after. “Hey, guys can we not argue now?! Button whats with the portal?”

“I forgot to bring the flint!”

Both Rumble and Sweetie Belle groaned. Starlight was sure she could hear them facehooving over the mic, but it could have been feedback too.

Starlight sighed knowing exactly what was going on. About three or four days ago, she couldn’t recall, the group including SIlver Spoon at the time had decided to venture out into the Nether with absolutely no preparation just to see what would happen. Turns out the Nether Portal they built outside their starting area put them literally in the center of a lava ring surrounded by a Nether Fort and wither skeletons. Needless to say it was a very short lived venture. It would seem they decided to try again.

Starlight sighed tapping her mic with her hoof saying, “Hey guys! What’s going on?”

All went silent for moment before Rumbles voice broke the silence like a canon.

“Oh, thank Luna Starlight’s here! We’re saved!” He yelled excitedly.

“Oh, thank goodness Star, we need you to build a nether portal!” Button exclaimed loudly.

Starlight sighed shaking her head. “What happened?”

“Well, the great and powerful forgetfulness Trixie, forgot to bring our potions with her and now we’re all dying in the Nether.”

Trixie huffed indignantly. “Well, it’s not like it was Trixie’s fault marshmallow jr.”

“DON’T CALL ME THAT!”

“Geez, don’t need to get all huffy, Squeaky Belle.” Trixie replied curtly.

“Well, at least I’m not a big dumb butt!” Sweetie Snapped back.

Starlight sighed rolling her eyes as she ventured around her group's little settlement of six houses.

“Button, where can I find your obsidian?” Starlight asked, looking inside the colts house.

“I left it downstairs in my basement I dug out.” Button replied.

Starlight nodded to herself running to the back of the small house. It was a simple house. Twenty blocks wide and tall, with two floors. The left side was a dedicated loot area where the colt kept all his loot from his daily ventures in a wall covered with chests. To the right was a wall of furnaces all lit up cooking something.

Starlight ignored these things and ran to the back of the building where there was a lone lever on the wall. Starlight made her character activate the lever which made the wall split and lead to a stairwell descending beneath the house.

“Starlight where are you?!” Sweetie asked over the mic.

Over her mic Starlight heard Trixie and Rumble were rambling on at each other while Button remained silent.

“I’m looking for obsidian so I can do… something,” Starlight replied unsure of what she was suppose to do. “Button, what do you need me to do?”

There was a brief pause before the colt replied to Starlight’s query. The response came so quickly it startled Starlight nearly making her drop her controller. “I need you to build a Nether Portal near our old one and activate it.”

Starlight nodded again. “Right, I’m in the basement-”

“Rumble don’t run you coward!” Trixie interrupted.

“Well, cowards tend to live longer!” Rumble replied.

Trixie scoffed. “Yeah, like those two idiots-”

“Hey! Snips and Snails maybe a little slow in the head but that’s hardly a reason to say bad things about them!” Sweetie Belle said chastising Trixie.

By now Starlight was down below the blocked house and was in a dimly lit room with a single chest there surrounded by pillars of white stone. Starlight moved her character closer to the chest and opened it to reveal it’s contents.
“Guy! Really not the time!”

“Ah! You ran us straight into the Nether Fort Trixie!”

By now Starlight had found the obsidian and instinctively grabbed it all. When she closed the chest she turned to leave exiting the dimly lit chamber and ascended to stairs back to the main house.


“Trixie wasn’t expecting there to be a fort behind the first one!”

“Guys, let’s just get back to the portal!” Button yelled to the group. “Starlight will have the portal up in no time!”

Starlight by this point had located the original portal and cocked her head. She brought her character up to it and circled around it a few times before stopping in front of it. It was still active but Button was still insistent she build another one and it made her wonder why.

“Button, why did you want me to build another portal?” She asked building the new portal twenty blocks away from the first one. “What happened to the old one?”

“Lava.”
“Lava covered it.”
“A gust blew a hole in the roof and spilled lava over it.”

Everyone said simultaneously, and Starlight sighed placing the blocks of obsidian down making the frame of a minimalist portal without its corners. Once complete Starlight lit the portal. As the pixilated violet vortex appeared within the deep violet frame. Starlight had her character step through and after a minor loading time she was in the Nether, and she could see her friends running as fast as they could towards her.

Suddenly the mic blew up with chatter as Button said, “Guys I see the new portal!”

Trixie sighed in relief along with Sweetie and Rumble.

“Oh thank goodness! I was afraid we’d die here and lose everything!” Sweetie sounded at ease.

“Quick everyone through the portal!” Starlight said walking back through.

Moments later the entire group passed through the portal and a sense of relief came over the group as a whole. Trixie and Rumble cheered on their narrow escape while Sweetie and Button both sighed, content with their escape.

“Thanks for the save, Star.” Button said gently over the cheering of their companions.

Starlight smiled and cooed softly, “Anything for you my, little masher.”
Starlight thought about the embarrassed look Button must have had in his cute little face due to his pet name from her. The image of him shyly covering his face behind his controler made Starlight feel giddy inside. The image was interrupted when Rumble gagged and Sweetie Belle gave an indignant snort.

“Wow, Starlight way to sound like a creepy child molester.” Trixie said bluntly.

The pink unicorn growled internally kicking herself for using her pet nickname for Button on an open channel with their friends there. Thankfully no one seemed to notice the implications.

“Well, I for one am glad Starlight was there to save our flanks.” Button said softly over his mic. Everyone agreed and seemed to forget what Starlight had said. She smiled silently thanking him for taking the attention off her. “Now, then let’s get building and never go to the Nether without better planning!” The colt declared.

“YEAH!”

A collective cheer rang over the mics and everyone quickly went to building Button’s Minecart rail system with renewed vigor. That night however proved to be their undoing when creepers seemed to randomly spawn everywhere and blew it all up by lunch time.

PreviousChapters Next