• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,780 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,780

PreviousChapters Next
Tiny Stars Adventures: After Class Training and Reality Check

Starlight sat in the Crystal Castle library reading a book on plants. She was trying to find out the long term effects of poison joke. Finding next to nothing she grumbled on book after book finding nothing but a few brief references. Closing her book she levitated it over to a pile and placed it on top, groaning as she slammed her head onto the table top.

She then heard two voices approaching and looked up in time to see Trixie and Twilight enter the library.

"Now now Trixie, I know you don't want to be here but I think this is a good thing for you and Starlight to get to know one another." she said happily, while the latter unicorn moan lowering her head. "And stop complaining! It's good for you!"

"Nothing about this is good for Trixie!" the azure mare gripped on. "Trixie is here and doesn't want to be. She came to visit her brother and only got to see him once since she got here. What's there for Trixie NOT to complain about?"

"Come on Trixie. Please?" the purple pony gave the saddest puppy dog look she could muster.

Trixie rolled her eyes and rounded a corner to see Starlight's head just barely peeking over a table with a large stack of books at her side. She waved to both mares with a smile. "Hello Trixie. Hey Twilight!"

She jumped on the table and leapt into Twilight's arms as the mare spun her around like a mother would a child. Trixie watched the exchange with a look of envy.

Setting the filly down Twilight walked over to the pile of books and glanced over the top one.

"Hmm? Advanced Gardening of Rares and Exotics?" she hummed.

"Yeah, I was looking into, um, gardening." she said averting her gaze.

Twilight oblivious to her evasive behavior smiled at her student. "Well that's good! Now let's begin with your training. Trixie if you could come over here please."

Trixie had been keeping an eye in the pink filly unicorn but complied with Twilight and walked over to a small opening in the library. The blue unicorn stared at the filly who stood on the opposite end of the area with Twilight in the center and three steps back. "OK, girls this is a standard duel. First to hit the other twice wins the round."

The two dueling ponies looked at each other. Unblinking. Determined.

"Now, standard rules apply. Starlight are you familiar with the rules of dueling?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good. Trixie are you ready?"

The azure unicorn scoffed. "Trixie is always ready!'

*Sigh* Then the duel begins in 3, 2, 1, start!"

Silence.

Neither pony made a move. Starlight was staring the other done, assessing and calculating any possible move Trixie could make. Suddenly the azure mare lowered her poster then sat down and inspected her hoof. Starlight gawked at her but only briefly before readying herself again. Even twilight took a double take on the mare. *What is that pony up to?* she thought.

Starlight watched as Trixie continued to inspect her hoof as if she wasn't interested at all in the duel. Starlight eventually relaxed her body and looked over to her teacher.

"Bad mistake."

"Wha-" both Starlight and Twilight didn't get the words out of their mouths before Trixie blasted Starlight off her spot and into a pile of books that were stacked behind her. Twilight gasped running over to Starlight and picked up the filly in her arms. She was dazed but otherwise unharmed but that didn't stop Twilight's furry.

"TRIXIE LULAMOON!" the purple princess bellowed in the Canterlot Voice, spinning around to fly over to the mare, having Starlight in her arms, and landed in front of the unicorn. "How dare you fight so dishonorably! Have you no shame?! No dignity?!"

"As if Trixie needs to be lectured by you! Trixie's life was fine until you ruined it and those two idiot colts!"

Twilight cringed at the memory of Snips and Snails, but stood fast against Trixie.

"I told you already that was taken care of! Why are you still mad about that?" twilight pleaded to the mare. "I thought you changed?"

"Trixie never got the chance to! Of course Trixie tried but nopony gave her a chance!" The mare sobbed as Starlight recovered from her daze. She looked at Trixie from her teachers arms and though she felt safe she felt bad for Trixie. "Trixie, ne-never *Sob* Trixie never got a chance to prove her worth. Everypony always said, 'Trixie you're a failure' or 'Trixie is a fraud lets show her!' It was HORRIBLE!"

She was now on the floor sobbing and hiccuping as she tried to form words in her pitiful state. "Tri-iic-xie was punished, Trixie was threaten, beaten... abused..." she then said something inaudible to where Twilight had to lean closer to hear her.

Trixie whispered something into Twilight's ear and Starlight heard three words that made her heart sink. What she heard was one of the worst things possible. Even her brainwashing was nothing to what Trixie had to live through. She truly felt sorry for her. The mare was touched by a purple hoof but swatted it away with an angry scowl.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"

"Trixie please." Twilight said reaching for her and began to feel tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry you had to live through that but trust me when I say that we will find who did this and bring them to justice."

"You don't have to. Trixie is over it."

"Trixie." Twilight reached for her again but stopped short as Starlight flew from her grasp and landed on Trixie's back

The azure mare gasped looking back to see two tiny eyes looking into her soul. It was the eyes of somepony who understood what she had lost. Something that an innocent child could only have. She choked back a few tears as Starlight nuzzled the blue neck she wrapped her arms around.

"Don't worry Trixie." Starlight said not stopping her nuzzle. "We'll be there for you... even if you are a big arrogant jerk face."

Trixie felt her heart skip a beat from how cute the filly was. She groaned at her trying to pry her off but she was surprisingly strong for one so small. She then accepted the hug and hugged her back feeling a lot better afterwards. Twilight wipe a tear away at the bonding the two had and left it as such.

Trixie however seemed to have had her fill of heart wrenching story time and used her magic to pry the filly off of her neck. "Alright That's enough. Trixie wishes to get on with training so she can get back to bed." the mare said in a slightly annoyed tone.

This time however neither Twilight or Starlight took offense. It was simply how she was they realized and that was alright with them. Once more the two ponies, Trixie and Starlight, faced off and Twilight reffed them again.

"Now Trixie, this time no cheap tricks, got it?"

"Ugh, it was your student's fault. She let her guard down and Trixie took advantage of it." the azure mare said back with a huff, before getting a stun spell blasted to her face.

Her mouth went numb as Starlight grinned at her. Twilight scolded her student but also had to fight back the urge to laugh at the now silent mare. The duel went on without a hitch. After Starlight's pot shot Trixie retaliated with a stun spell only to be reflected by a shield spell. Trixie quickly followed up with a fireball and a side-winding lightning bolt. Both were too small to do any real damage but were enough to distract Starlight.

Trixie saw her opening and blasted the filly with as much magic as possible nearly knocking her off her hooves and forcing her to use a lot of mana to maintain her shield. Her plan was to wear out the filly and overwhelm her with a variety of spells to throw her off balance. The downside was her blast spell used almost all of her mana. Trixie didn't have a strong mana output and her lazy nature made it even worse. Using that much mana when she had so little was her second mistake. Her first was underestimating Starlight Glimmer.

After the initial blast Starlight fired a volley of magical pin missiles which scattered in all directions and hit Trixie as she put up a magical barrier. A foolish idea as it drained her of almost every ounce of mana she had left. The shield withered away quickly leaving her exposed as the magical projectiles collided with her body knocking her to the ground with ease due to her exhausted condition.

Trixie struggled to stand up afterwards and was helped up by Twilight who supported the mare with her wings and shoulder.

"Thanks, Twilight." she panted leaning into the princess.

"Don't worry Trixie. It's fine. You did great actually!" the mare claimed trying to cheer her up.

Trixie responded with a deadpan stare. "Hah ha, very funny. Just admit it, Trixie sucked."

"No Trixie. I won't lie and say I'm surprised you lost," Twilight confessed. Trixie groaned in annoyance. "BUT! You did well against Starlight. All you need is some training to increase your mana flow. A little exercise and training will take care of that!" Twilight said giddily clapping her hooves making both Trixie and Starlight facehoove. "Learning a few new spells with that and you'll be off to a great new start on life!"

"Only one problem with that plan Princess."

"What's that Trixie?"

The azure mare got up and walked out of the library saying, "Trixie, is a happy lazy pony!" *humph!*

She then slammed the door shut leaving a disgruntled Twilight and a snickering Starlight behind. The princess glared at her student who turned away whistling innocently before the doors opened again and a blue nose barely stuck in.

"Trixie wakes up at noon. NOT soon."

The nose retreated and the door closed. The purple princess shook her head rubbing her temples while Starlight continued to giggled.

"Alright, chuckles, let's get to studying." she said sitting Starlight beside her at the table. "Alright Starlight, so to begin let's talk about our days. So I'll start with what I like to call a friendship report. This is anything you learned on friendship or if you made any new friends along the way and you'll tell me what happened. Make sense?"

"Yes Twilight." the filly saluted.

Twilight gushed internally. *Sooooo cuuuuute!*

Clearing her throat she took out a quill and ink and began to write down something as she said, "Today me and Rainbow Dash learned it's important to always stay true to your feelings about your friends. Because if you lie to them, even if you think you're doing them a favor, it's still a bad thing."

The mare finished writing and offered the quill to Starlight. She took it in her magical grasp and looked at Twilight who nodded towards the paper. "Go on, Star. What did you learn today? Anything? Make any new friends?"

Starlight looked down at the paper thinking. After a good minute she began to write about her day and something she did learn, or rather relearned.

"Today I relearned that while you may want to stand up for your friends it's important to know how and when to make such action. Today I stood up for a friend of mine, his name is Button Mash. He's a sweet colt and I can tell he'll be a great friend. I defended him in a rather obnoxious way. I humiliated Miss Cherliee in front of the class today." Starlight admitted having stopped writing after the first three words.

"Twilight? Am I a bad pony?"

Twilight gasped at the self aimed accusation. "What no, Star, why would you ask that?"

"Because I feel like I wasn't a good pony to do that to Cherliee. After she told Button he was wrong in a math problem I got upset and, well, showed her up."

"Well, I won't say it was a good thing but you did do it with noble intentions. That alone is enough to prove you have a good heart." she replied sagely to the filly earning a smile from her. "However, you should refrain from humiliating others. Trust me when I say humiliating others does not pay off. Look at Trixie."

Both unicorns glanced where the arrogant unicorn was a few minute prior. Twilight sighed looking down at her student rubbing her pink left cheek with her hoof. "Trixie bragged and showed off and look what it got her. She was then humiliate by ponies in Ponyville and it led her down a path that I don't wish for you to follow." she said in a serious tone. "I mean it Starlight, you have to be careful. The things we do to others as well as ourselves shape us into the ponies we become. Everything we do changes the future drastically. For better or worse. And though I can't see the future i don know this,"s he paused to take a breath. "I care for you Starlight. Ever since you became my student-"

"It was like a few days ago Twilight."

The princess glared at her but Starlight didn't flinch.

"Star, I worry you'll stunt your growth as a mare if you continue to act this way. I'm worried is all." She then leaned to hug the filly in a warm embrace. Starlight hugged her back closing her eyes and resting her head on twilight's chest. "I'm worried I'll lose you before I get a real chance to know you."

As they held each other Starlight felt a wetness in her mane. She glanced up to sew Twilight in tears. Her heart ached at the sight of the amre nearly bringing herself to tears.

"Don't cry Twilight." she said weakly. "You'll make me cry."

"I'm sorry Star, it's just been difficult for me. You being a filly as stirred something inside of me and, I'm so confused right now." she admitted to the filly looking concerned. "I was just starting to figure out us as a teacher and student. Now, I'm not sure. I'm sorry Starlight I'm ruining this with my problems." she said hastily, trying to push the filly away but was gripped by the pink unicorn around her waist.

"I'm sorry too, Twilight."

"Why are you sorry?"

"Because i was acting like a child on purpose." she replied rubbing her nose into twilight's tummy. "I never got to really know my parents, they passed away long ago when I was a child. Sunburst and his family looked after me as did my sister. I haven't seen her in yeas though, not after she ran away."

"I took advantage of this, my body regressing, and I used you Twilight as a sort of mother I never had, kind of thing. You know?"

Twilight smiled picking up the filly and kissing her forehead. "I do understand Starlight. I really do."

Starlight looked up to the mare hopefully. "Really?"

"Really. I can't be your mother and I know you can't stay a filly forever-"

"Why not?" Starlight asked alarmed. "Why can't I stay like this?"

Twilight sighed looking at her with an almost pleading look. "Star, the effects of poison joke are temporary. At best it'll only work for about three days. By then you'll turn back to normal as a grown mare."

"Then I can use the poison joke a lot then! Why's that a bad thing?" she said getting very upset.

"It's not that simple, Star. If you continue to use the poison joke it an have, " she paused trying to choke out the words like they were caught in her throat. "Using it will have, lethal consequences."

"What do you mean? I thought it wasn't really poisonous?"

"It isn't. Well, not in a traditional sense. Have you ever heard of Slipstream one-half?" she asked her student in a dead serious tone. Starlight shook her head indicating she didn't know of said pony. "Well, she was one of the greatest ponies in history. She was well known as a thief and used teleportation and was a master of it. After one too many heists the Royal Guard finally caught up with her. Her mastery of teleportaiton was unsurpassed and she nearly escaped in what was considered her greatest heist of all time. Until she started using poison joke." she paused letting the words sink into Starlight's mind. "She found out that the pollen made her intangible. And no magical or physical barrier could hold her but she could still walk on solid surfaces if she used her magic to assist her."

Twilight walked over to the entrance placing Starlight on her back and walked down the halls towards Starlight's chambers as she continued to tell her story.

"Slipstream eluded the Royal guard for a long time. That is until they ran her to a cliff in the great plains. Slipstream by then had used the poison joke for so long it made her delusional. She then made a foolhardy attempt to teleport onto a moving train. The Royal Guard caught her shortly afterwards." she said in a dark tone.

Twilight stopped her story to enter Starlight's bed chamber and saw that the moon had already risen and was just above the horizon. She watched Starlight brush her teeth and and after brushing her mane she put Starlight in bed and kissed her goodnight. Just as she was about to leave Starlight called to her.

"So, Twilight? What happened to Slipstream?" she asked.

The purple pony visibly shook looking back over her shoulder. The shadows from the door and the light cast from the moon covered her eyes creating an eerie tone as she gave her reply.

"Slipstream was buried beside her parents at the Canterlot Cemetery."

"But, you said the Royal Guard caught her. Right?" the filly asked almost afraid to hear what was next.

"I did. The thing is she was delusional and had no idea when the effects of the poison joke was going to end." Twilight sighed looking at her student and came to rest on the side of the bed. "Starlight, I'm not telling you this to scare you. I just want you to understand that that plant is dangerous for a number of reasons. It'll affect your mind in a bad way and that's not including the damage it could cause to you physically."

She kissed Starlight once more rubbing the fillies cheek with hers.

"I understand Twilight, and thank you for caring for me." she then kissed the mares nose, making her gasp and go wide eyed. "Good night."

"Good night, my... my little Star."

She covered the filly in her covers and turned to leave. She glanced once more over her shoulder to see the cute filly snuggled against her pillow. She smiled and was about to leave before she heard her student's voice once more.

"You never did tell me what happened to Slipstream."

Twilight's head lowered and she replied in a low voice saying, "There's a reason she is remembered as Slipstream one-half after she tried to teleport into a moving train, Star. The same reason the Royal Guard was able to catch her so easily too." She didn't look back but she could hazard a guess that the filly looked shocked no doubt. She did when she heard the story and its gruesome details. "Go to sleep, Star, and think about what I said. I'll see you in the morning."

After leaving Starlight thought about the story of the mare Slipstream and the poison joke. It was clear how dangerous it could be and if the effects wore off at the wrong time like it did for the notorious thief, well, it could be messy to say the least. Starlight laid in bed feeling uneasy. While she would never try running from the law she knew she'd be running from something more precious than gold or gems if she didn't use the poison joke. Taking the story to heart she closed her eyes and fell into a deep sleep and dreamed of sheep in a starry grass field. Only this time she was with a cute brown colt snuggled up against her.

Freinship Gained: :heart::heart::heart::heart: Infamy: X X

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! So I don't know what happened to my editor, so I'm have an opening to anyone who wishes to help out if you'd like. Also I know this took a dark turn but I promise it isn't going to get much worse than this I pinkie Promise.:pinkiehappy:

So now we know Starlight has a thing for a certain pony and what will become of her confusing relationship with Twilight?

Only time will tell...

PreviousChapters Next