• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,780 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,780

PreviousChapters Next
Cutie Spirit

The next morning Starlight was fast asleep in her bed with her new Joyboy on her dresser beside the bed. Her clock was just five minutes before the ten o'clock hour, and she was having a most blissful dream when a soft erie voice called to her.

"Starliiigghht."

The sleeping unicorn ignored the voice snuggling up to her pillow. Slowly the covers crept down to expose her. A shivering chill ran through her body and she quickly reached for the covers and pulled them back over herself. She snuggled up wrapping her body in the blanket, and rubbed her nose against the pillow feeling warm once again.

"Starrlliigghhtt." The voice called out again, louder than before.

"Hmmm? Who's there?" Starlight replied waving her hoof from under the covers. "Please go away, I'm sleeping."

"STAAARRLLIIGGHHTT."

"GAHHAAA!"

Starlight screamed a loud girly shriek when the voice calling her erupted in anger at her. The sudden awakening made her tumble out of bed, hitting the floor full force with her face.

Her nose bleed leaving a red spot on the crystal floors. She covered her now red nose as she looked around like a meerkat sentry. Her back was erect and upright, and her ears flexed left and right over and over trying to find the source of the voice that called out to her. Her doors suddenly flung open startling her and she jumped in fright like a scared cat.

"AHHH!"

"Starlight! Are you alright?"

It took her a moment to process, but she quickly realized the pony in her room was none other than Golden Claw. The pristine griffon guard glanced around appraising the situation. The first thing he noticed was the condition Starlight was in, frightened, bloodied nose, and a disheveled look about her. Then he noticed the open window and concluded this was either and attempted assault or worse.

"Captain Thunderclap!" he called out running over to Starlight and covered her with his wings protectively.

The brown unicorn guradsmare came rushing in by Golden Claws side. "What is it, Captain?"

"We had a possible break in. Starlight Glimmer is hurt!" he squawked.

"WHAT!?! Let me see! NOW!" Thunderclap demanded.

"I'm fine! Geez!" Starlight yelled surprising both guards.

She sighed rubbing her nose. "Look, I was asleep and fell off the bed cause of a bad dream, OK? I wasn't attacked or anything like that."

The two guards looked glanced at each other unsure. Starlight facehooved.

"Look, if it makes you feel any better i'll stop by to keep up with you guys more often. OK?"

The guards nodded in silent agreement with her. Taking their leave Starlight was left alone to tend to be wounded nose. *What is it with my nose all week?* she thought to herself walking to the bathroom to clean her nose. She took a small wash cloth from her cabinet and rinsed it under cold water. Wringing it out she wiped the blood from her nose and washed it, repeating the process several times until the bleeding stopped.

By this time the wash cloth was completely red and she discarded it into the waste basket. She the washed her whole face with warm water, feeling refreshed afterwards.

"Starliiggghhhhtt."

She stopped and looked up after hearing the voice again. "Hello?"

There was no response. Starlight stared up at the silent room. She heard nothing afterwards so she shrugged it off and went back to cleaning herself. She took a shower and then brushed her mane. Once finished she set out to hunt for breakfast. She wandered down the halls until shefound the dining room where Twilight was sitting flanked by Tunderclap and Golden Claw. She was eating silently until Starlight entered the room.

Twilight and Starlight stared at each other briefly and averted their gazes. Starlight scoffed slightly and sat at the opposite end of the table from Twilight with a huff. The alicorn simply looked down at a book while eating.

"Morning Starlight Glimmer."

"Morning Princess Twilight Sparkle."

"..."

"......"

".........."

Twilight looked up from her book and glared at Starlight. "How long are you going to act like child, Starlight?"

Starlight scoffed indignantly looking away from her mentor. "It's not like you've been much help lately."

Suddenly Thunderclap rushed over to Starlight's side steaming. "HEY! Now you listen here you ungrateful little-"

"That's enough Thunderclap."

"Bu-but Princess!"

Twilight slammed her hoof down on the table shaking it. "I said that's enough Thunderclap," Twilight replied calmly returning to her book. "If Starlight wants to be a child let her vent. She's had a rough week."

Thunderclap stuttered but relented at the word of her princess. "Yes, Princes, erm, I mean Twilight."

"Ah, you're learning Clappy!" Twilight beamed, while Golden Claw snickered at the nickname.

The brown unicorn mare growled in frustration feeling her cheeks heat up. She looked away as the ponies and griffon laughed at her silly nickname.

"I hate that name." she sneered.

"That being said, Starlight?" Twilight looked up to her student.

"What?"

"I hear you already met Golden Claw. He's you chaperon from now on." Twilight declared in a authoritative tone.

Starlight stopped her thought as the griffon guard stepped to her side and bowed.

"It's my honor to serve the student of the Princess of Friendship." he said pressing a griped claw against his armored chest. "Captain Golden Claw. I am you sword and shield Miss Glimmer."

Starlight stared at him a moment then looked past him to her mentor with a nasty glare. "Why do I need a guard?" she snapped at her mentor.

Twilight giggled slightly earning another scoff from Starlight.

"He's not your guard Starlight, he's you chaperon." Twilight said.

Starlight gawked at Twilight like she had just been slapped. Her mind raced with a million thoughts all of which weren't pretty. Just who was she to give Starlight a chaperon? She wasn't some filly who... *Oh, right.*

"Well, as mu ch as I appreciate the gesture I don't need a chaperon."

"Well, you clearly need somepony to keep an eye on you." Twilight retorted.

"You shouldn't say pony." Starlight chided her mentor. "Golden Claw is a griffon and that's not a fair term!"

The griffon smiled at the younger mare waving his claw dismissively. "Not to worry young miss, it's fine. I'm use to it."

"Well, regardless, it's not proper to call everybody pony." Starlight stated.

Deep in her heart the thought of anybody being labeled as 'anypony' was absurd. There were plenty of races in the world. True most were ponies or equine in nature, but not all of them preferred that. This peeked the curiosity of the golden armor clad griffon, who leaned closer to her.

"What do you mean exactly?" he asked Starlight.

By now Guiding Wind had appeared and brought food for Starlight and some water. Placing them on the table she bowed and left without a word and Starlight dug in.

"I was once a leader of a small town. I founded it as a beaon of equality for all who chose to come there." she explained to the griffon. "When I was in early development of the town I learned that many races had different terms for their kind, threshals were everybatty, horses use everypony like we do, but yaks say yakkiies, so on and so forth."

Golden Claw nodded. "Well that's informative. So where does the term anybody come from?"

Starlight took a bite out of her food. It was a stack of strawberry pancakes with whipped cream and some eggs. She took a bite from the pancakes. "It came from a spark of inspiration I had when-"

"Starlight..."

"Hmm? Anyways... like i was saying I go the idea from the everybatty term when I thought about the word, 'body'." Starlight took another bite from her food. "That's when I created the tern anybody."

Everyone in the room nodded at her story, even Twilight was impressed, but didn't make nay effort to show it.

"I see that's very clever." Golden Claw said in an amazed tone.

"I know, you're so smart!" Thunderclap agreed.

Starlight chuckled, "Well one of us has to be the smart one."

"Yeah I know right...." Thunderclap paused. "You little punk!"

The brown unicorn charged Starlight chasing her around the table in a very comedic manner. Golden Claw laughed at the sight of the two mares comicly chasing one another. Eventually Starlight ran out of the room with her breakfast with Golden Claw in tow, munching at her plate as they wandered the halls.

As they entered one of the rooms Starlight put her plate down on a table leaving it behind. She sat down in achair and pulled out a book on advanced arcane spells and began to read. About ten minutes into her reading, while Golden Claw stood by her side, she heard a soft pained moan.

"Starlight."

Finally reaching her limit she slammed the book down on the table making the griffon guard jump slightly.

"Alright! I can't be the only one who heard that!"

The griffon beside her looked around as she scanned the room herself.

"Where is the voice coming from!?" she yelled gripping her mane.

"Starlight!"

This time Golden Claw heard the voice too and gasped.

"I heard it this time! It was your name!" he exclaimed.

Starlight grit her teeth wondering where the voice came form. "I know. It's been like that all day!"

"Starlight!"

Starlight and Golden Claw stood fast to find the source of the voice. The continued down the falls in their quest to find the voice. The voice becme louder and louder repeating over and over again until it sounded like it was right in the same room as hem. They turned to see a ghostly figure floating beside them, a young transparent filly with a veil of mist around her.

"Hi!" She greeted with a goofy grin waving to them.

"GHOST!"

"It's a specter!"

The ghost filly giggled. "Yeup that's me!"

"Who are you?" Starlight asked trying to sound calm, despite shaking in fear of the tiny specter.

"Oh! My name is Glitter Heart and I'm a ghost!"

"Yes, we can see that." Starlight replied flatly.

"What are you doing here though?" Golden Claw asked the filly specter.

"Well, to be honest I'm not sure why I'm here." Glitter Heart admitted.

Starlight and Claw stared at the ghost with unamuzed expressions. The filly specter giggled sheepishly floating around Starlight's head and stopping near her shoulder.

"I hop e I'm not being rude but, how did you, you know?"

The filly looked at her in a confused manner. "You mean how I died?" Glitter Heart asked in a melancholic tone.

Starlight nodded.

"Well, I was in Ponyville when I was going to the library cause I was running from a terrifying monster when a bright flash of light hit me." the filly explained. "I remember feeling a burning pain all over my body and then, oblivion."

Starlight and Golden Claw felt a slight ping of guilt knowing the filly met an untimely demise due to Lord Tirek. Starlight looked at the filly with sadness in her eyes.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Starlight said.

"It's fine."

"How can you be fine with this?" Starlight asked raising her voice. "Don't you miss your parents? Your friends?"

Glitter Heart tapped her ethereal chin. She looked like she was straining to remember something but nothing was coming back to her. Herr memory before her death was all a big blur and no amount of concentration could uplift the veil of amnesia that had befallen her. It would have pained her to not remember had she not given up all hope long ago.

"Sorry, I haven't been able to remember anything from before my passing." she shrugged.

"That's so sad." Starlight said leaning against the way.

Claw looked at the mare and then to the filly as if he was trying to piece something together in his brain. Approaching the filly he reached up to her and swung his claw through her phantom body. To his and her surprise it made her giggled as if she were being tickled.

"Teheheh STAPH!" she giggled covering herself.

"Golden Claw! That was rude!" the unicorn mare chided him. "Apologize to her right now!"

The griffon blushed from his social misconduct and bowed to the ghost filly. "I'm sorry!"

Glitter Heart chuckled mischievously floating around him. "Don't worry! I totally won't hold it against you. Nor will I haunt you for a few days now that I know you can see and hear me."

"Oh, thank goodness." Golden Claw sighed in relief, but took pause as his mind processed what was said.

"But that makes me wonder, why haven't you passed on?" Starlight asked Glitter Heart.

"Well, I'm not sure." Glitter Heart replied ignoring the indignant scoff from the griffon behind her.

Starlight smiled at the ethereal filly striking a heroic pose. "Well don't you worry then Glitter Heart! I the Great and Powerful Starlight Glimmer will help you find what anchors you to this world and help you to find peace so you may pass on."

Glitter Heart beamed at the unicorn and squealed in delight. "You will?! Oh, thank you Starlight!" she said, doing a loop de loop.

The unicorn gave the phantom filly a mischievous grin. "And while we're at it..." she glanced around and whispered into Glitter Hearts ear, "You up for pranking a few ponies now and then?"

Glitter Heart bore a devious grin of her own, rubbing her phantom hooves together. "Tehehe, I sure do! It's be soooo long since I've had a chance to play!"

The two ponies gave off perfect evil cackling as Golden Claw facepalmed realizing he was in for a long career with this Starlight Glimmer. Never in his wildest dreams did he imagine a ghost filly to team up with his mistress to prank other ponies. Having seen most of the major events in Equestria from the past few years, a ghost was really no surprise to him, but a ghost teaming up with a prankster, it made him shiver down to his very core.

Then a very dark thought crossed his mind. "I hope they don't team up with Pinkie Pie. that'd be a nightmare."

Friendship Gained: :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: Infamy:XXX

Author's Note:

And next time we will have the phantom prank wars!

Hello hello and thank you all for reading this latest installment of my little slice of life story Student of Friendship! Now that Starlight has her own guard and , basically a phantom familiar for lack of a better word, what pranks should she pull and on who?

Got a thought or suggestion? Leave it in the comments section bellow and I might even add it in a future chapter! With that... I go!

Read rate love and tolerate!

PreviousChapters Next