• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,780 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,780

PreviousChapters Next
Tiny Stars Adventures: Dreams to Nightmares Part 2

Starlight awoke feeling groggy. Her head was throbbing and her chest ached. It was like she had this huge weight on it and slowly asphyxiating her. Aside from all the pain she felt she could feel something warm on her side. Her vision was blurred and her senses dulled, but she could make out a silhouette of a large pony beside her.

The pony shifted looking down at her.

"Glad to see you're awake young one."

"Princess Luna?" Starlight asked reaching for the ponies face.

The pony touched her hoof with her own rubbing the pink hoof tenderly with love and care. "Aye, young Starlight tis I Luna, Maiden of the Moon. I had come to aid you in your time of need."

Star looked around, her vision still blurred and couldn't make anything out. "Where am I? Is this the Dreamscape?"

"Indeed it is." the alicorn answered.

Starlight could start to see a bit more but her sight still failed her. She could tell they were on some kind of cot on a small hill with a small river beneath them that ran with tiny dots in it, presumably fish. The unicorn looked around and then up to Luna who was sitting beside her with legs curled beneath her. She extended her wing and gave it to Starlight wrapping her in it keeping her warm.

"Thanks."

Luna grinned. "Don't fear my little pony. Now, I am told by your friend here," she gestured towards the monarch who Starlight could barely make out as he landed on her nose, "He says you're in need. What troubles you child?"

Starlight thought hard about what the Princess of the Night meant. It took her a minute but she remembered Button and how she tried to save him but was devoured by darkness.

"BUTTON! I have to save him! Luna I need to-"

"Sssshhh. Child, tis but a dream. Thou can't save him for he lays safe in his own bed in Ponyville. As do you." the mare said calming the mare down. Starlight settled down sighing in relief.

"I'm sorry Princess." she said rubbing the mares side with her cheek. "I have, I had a rough few days."

"Care to tell me?" Luna asked looking at the monarch while she listened.

Starlight nodded to the mare as her vision cleared a bit more. "Of course but first I have to ask, is he one of your conjurations?"

Luna noted the monarch Starlight was looking at as she asked her question. Nodding Luna replied, "He is a familiar to the dream realm. He is my gift and guardian to you Starlight Glimmer. I created him to guide you and protect you."

"Wow, thanks! He's been a great friend." she said petting the butterfly with her hoof.

"Indeed he has. Now about what this colt, Button Mash? He sounds nice." Luna said casually.

Starlight blushed looking away from the lunar mare. The alicorn ran her feathers against the unicorns mane and rubbing it making her giggle. She swatted the mares wing away playfully but put on a serious look shortly after.

"Do you think I did the wrong thing, Princess Luna?"

"About what young one?" she asked looking over at a blue flower and touched it. "Falling in love with him?"

Starlight nodded looking at her.

"Never Starlight. Love is the greatest thing in the world! You should be proud to have fallen in love." the princess declared.

"But is it wrong I love a colt?" Starlight asked wearily.

Luna gave her a perplexed look She rubbed her chin with one hoof and thought long and hard how to tell her what she wanted. It was hard for the young alicorn to come up with a simple answer. Perhaps a little help from another would suffice.

"Give us a moment Starlight. We must seek another who is better equipped to answer thy dilemma." Luna said getting up and leaving the unicorn alone. "We shall return in a minute. Please get comfortable."

Starlight watched as the mare stepped through a portal that formed from nowhere. All around her were beautiful blue flowers with small golden seed in the center. The hammock she lay in was made of fine silk and attached to a large tree that spread it open. The water flowed silently surrounded by several small islands covered with mushroom like vegetation.

Starlight stayed in the hammock waiting for Lunas return all the while thinking about Button. She loved him and in the eyes of society it was not right for a grown mare to love a colt the way she did. She wondered if it was weird for her to harbor such feeling for the colt. She thought long about this until a bright pink portal appeared signaling someones arrival.

Out of the portal came Princess Luna and Cadence. The pink alicorn looked rather upset but kept her royal composure. Luna had a serious but sympathetic look as they both walked over to Starlight and joined her in the hammock.

"Greetings young Starlight. This is our niece Princess Cadence. Niece meet Starlight Glimmer." the blue alicorn said.

Cadence bowed to the unicorn who mimicked the motion. "Nice to meet you Starlight."

"Likewise princess."

"I'm glad to finally get a chance to talk to you." Cadence said scooting closer to the unicorn in the hammock.

Luna flanked Starlight sandwiching her between herself and her niece.

"We have much to discuss." Luna said leading the charge of the conversation.

Cadence smiled giving her aunt a playful swipe with her pink wing. Starlight snickered and Luna shot a glare at her niece sticking her tongue out at her. The pink alicorn laughed.

"So mature auntie."

"Yes well," Luna trailed off rubbing her chest with a hoof casually, "Let's get to the matter at hoof. Starlight why don't you tell us about this young colt who has captured your heart?"

One could see the twinkle in Cadences eye at the thought of love. Starlight sighed looking of to the side and made a small conjuration of the brown colt. "You see Princess I'm in love with this colt at Ponyville Elementary. I... I want to take him to the up coming Hearts and Hooves Day festival but..."

"I see your dilemma."

"So can you help me?" Starlight asked the alicorn of love.

The Princess of Love looked at her aunt with a concerned look before lowering her head. This disheartened Starlight greatly.

"I see. So you can't." she said turning away looking at the little figure of the colt conjured by her magic. "I guess I'll have to figure this out myself."

"Well, you see Starlight, I have had this conversation before." Cadence admitted looking to Luna.

Starlight quirked a brow at her. "You have? So, that means you can help me?!" she asked excitedly.

"Now Starlight I did help somepony in an identical situation but you have to understand the laws are in place for a reason. How can you expect a colt who is much younger-"

"I'm only twenty-six, Princess." Starlight said. "He's not that much younger than me."

"Oh, well regardless that is a dangerous line you're playing there." Cadence warned.

Luna looked like she was about to burst into tears as Cadence continued on. The Pink alicorn touched her aunts hoof with her own trying to show her support. Luna smiled nuzzling the younger mare.

"Aunty Luna was the one who I helped." Cadence said putting the mare on the spot.

"Cadence!"

"Sorry auntie, " the pink mare winced. "but you know it was hard for me to say that. The truth of the matter is Starlight is about to make a gamble with her life as well as that of a young colts. She needs to hear the truth." Cadence looked at Luna with a serious look. Determination written all over it, but Luna was not about to back down. Although she now regretted bringing Cadence into this. *I should have just told young Starlight to go for it. Damn the consequences.*

"What she needs, Cadence, is to follow her heart and fight for the pony she loves! Back in my day this was normal for grown mares and stallions to court younger ponies!"

"You speak of archaic times and laws Princess Luna." cadence snapped at her aunt.

"Well who's to say what is right and wrong with love?" Luna replied haughtily.

'This isn't about you! It's about poor Starlight here!" Cadence yelled gesturing to the pink unicorn.

All the while Starlight looked at the pair in befuddlement. Clearly this conversation left her more confused than anything. Cadence realized this and decided to clarify her position.

"Ahem, Starlight?"

"Yes, Princess Cadence?" the pink unicorn replied.

"I need you to understand something. I don't think it's wrong to love someone younger than you but you need to be careful when dealing with a situation like this." Cadence look at the mare sizing her up. "How old are you? Twenty?"

"Well, I'm actually twenty-six." Starlight admitted.

Cadence frowned rubbing her forehead. "Starlight, sweetie, I don't think I need to tell you that loving a colt at YOUR age is highly illegal."

"I know but I DO love him!" Starlight fell forward grabbing the princesses hooves. "What ever I need to do I'll do it if it means staying with him."

Cadence and Luna gave each other worried looks. "Starlight, I can't tell you what to do. In the end you will have to decide for yourself but consider this, will he be happy with you or will he be happier with another?"

Starlight looked away with uncertainty in her eyes. "I, I would like to think not." she replied.

Before Cadence could get another word out Luna stepped forward embracing the mare in a hug. She glared at her niece who returned the gesture most unkind.

"Starlight you need to follow your heart and take what is yours. Never let others tell you what is right or wrong." she glared back at her pink niece. "LOVE conquers all in the end."

"LUNA THAT IS ENOUGH!" Cadence roared in the Canterlot voice standing up to face her aunt. "As the Princess of Love I will not tolerate you sending this poor mare down a dark path!"

"I never should have asked YOU for help!" Luna snapped back standing to face her alicorn peer. "You did the same thing for me and Pip!"

"Oh so you're blaming me for the lost love you had for a colt as well?"

"Well excuse us if we want to have the pony of our dreams Mi Amore Candeza! Not all of us get to fall in love with the first pony we meet!"

"Well stop blaming me for your lack of a love life!" Cadence then scoffed mockingly. "Oh , wait I know! Maybe if you weren't so pushy and bossy somepony might actually like you if you weren't some pedo!"

"STOP IT! STOP ALL THIS FIGHTING!"

Starlight's voice echoed in the dreamscape making it shake. Luna and Cadence stared at the mare in shock as she panted. Her eyes swelled with tears that fell freely as she painfully tried to make sense of all this madness.

"Don't you see? You two are family! Why are you acting like this?!"

Both alicorns looked at the broken unicorn who was now crying openly. She tried to cover herself with her arms feeling ashamed for breaking down in front of the two Princesses. The alicorns tried t reach for her but Starlight used her magic sending a magical blast that shattered the delicate dreamscape into nothing.

Starlight shot upright in her bed gasping. She was gripping her comforter in her hooves. There was a layer of sweat over her body and her sheets themselves were wet from it. She quickly looked around seeing nopony near she threw the blanket and sheets off and quickly ran over to her desk pulled out some paper and a pen. She quickly began to scribble down arcane symbols and text. *Thank the heavens for my photographic memory!* she thought wiping the sweat from her forehead.

Once she finished she ran out of her room as quickly as her tiny hooves would carry her. She ran past Guiding Wind who called out to her but she ignored the mare continuing to run down the halls heading for the Cutie Map. She used her magic to take flight slipping past Thunderclap. The mare guard screamed a girly scream like a filly who saw a mouse as the pink filly flew past her.

Starlight fired a magical blast blowing the doors to the Cuite Map room off their hinges. The massive doors flew across the room leaving the way open to Starlight who flew onto the map itself. She sighed looking sadly down at it.

"Nothing is worth losing a friend over." She glanced at the notes she made on a paper. "If I never meet him this will never happen. Luna and Cadence will never fight and I won't have to deal with breaking his heart."

Charging up her horn Starlight focused her thoughts on the fateful day she met Trixie. She fired a magical surge into the map sending a portal above herself in a reverse fishbowl look. Thea arcane symbols for time-travel etched on it as it grew sucking Starlight into the dark vortex into the past.

"Here we go." Starlight said as she flew up into the portal as it closed behind her.

Author's Note:

So here we are again. Starlight is about to make a change but what will happen if she does?

Hmmm?

PreviousChapters Next