• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,779 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,779

PreviousChapters Next
A Morning Giude

The next day Starlight awoke feeling well rested and better than she had in ages. She stretched her arms up and bent backwards cracking her stiff back and arms in the process. Once her stretches were done she leapt off the bed and stretched once more like a limber cat and shook herself. She walked over to her curtains and with her telekinesis opened up the drapes and let the morning sun in.

She basked in the warm glow and with a smile on her face she turned and trotted over to her doors ready to start her day. Swinging the doors open with a bright smile she was met by a loud THUNK, with a few choice colorful metaphors to follow. Peering around the door Starlight saw somepony she hadn't expected to see so soon. On the floor was a distraught Thunderclap, who struggled to remove her now stuck helmet from her head.

Feeling bad Starlight came around the door and gripped the helmet on the ponies head pulling at it as hard as she could. It took several tries and Thunderclap had her back legs pressed against her helmets neck guard trying to get it off. From beneath Starlight could hear all the mares profanities and promises of destruction to the offender of her humiliation. Finally after several minutes the helmet popped off the mare's head and she gasped feeling fresh air for the first time in what seemed to her like hours.

"FREEDOM IS MINE!" she exclaimed flinging her arms in the air. "Thank you miss... oh it's you." the brown unicorn said, her mood souring instantly as her eye fell on the pink unicorn before her.

Starlight frowned offering the piece of armor back. Thunderclap snatched it back and placed it back on her head with a grunt. While she did Starlight noticed something peculiar about the brown mare. Her eye patch was missing and what was left was a perfectly intact eye. Nothing was wrong with it. On the floor the eye patch lay beside her hoof and Starlight didn't want to make a scene so she lifted the patch with her magic and offered it back to the mare.

"I think you dropped this too." she said wiggling the eye patch.

With a slight grumble Thunderclap took the eye patch and replaced it over her left eye. Starlight sighed wanting to ask the obvious question but didn't want to upset the mare more than she already did. Which made the next thing that happened all the more surprising.

"I'm blind in my left eye."

"Huh, what?" Starlight, asked.

"You were wondering about my eye, right?" Starlight nodded. "Thought so. It was a magical accident that left me blind i one eye. I was trying out advanced spells to temporarily blind opponents. Instead I cast it wrong and ended up blinding myself. Thankfully I only lost my sight in one eye."

"Oh, sorry."

"Don't bother. You should just consider yourself lucky you're the Princesses student." the mare said shoving past the unicorn.

That had pushed Starlight too far. Concentrating on her magic, Starlight cast a simple teleportation spell and reappeared in front of the brown pony guard with a angry glare.

"OK, what is your problem? Seriously? What did I ever do to you?" she asked in a furious tone.

"Oh, you are soooo lucky the Princess likes you or I-"

"Or you would what?! Beat me up? I am more than capable of handling you! I beat Twilight!"

"But Twilight wasn't trying to hurt you either." Thunderclap threatened. The mare loomed over the pink unicorn who suddenly felt very small. It was as if she was staring at some apex predator and her mind knew it and reacted involuntarily to it. The mare seemed to catch that she was nervous and took it as a chance to strike the death blow while the iron was hot. "I have no such reservations for monsters like you." She whispered into Starlight's ear making her shiver. "When I learned what you did in your little town and who was there I knew I had to get this post."

That caught Starlight's attention. "You got this post? You mean in Ponyville? You worked to get this post after you heard I was here? That was literally a day ago! How could you have-"

"I have connections in the Royal Courts Starlight Glimmer. Something you would do well to remember." the brown mare threatened, passing by and leaving Starlight to her thoughts.

She began to wonder who this Thunderclap was. Was she somepony she knew? Was she related to somepony from her town? Or was it somepony she had wronged in the past and hurt? She was unsure but something about the mare seemed very familiar to her. So familiar that it angered her to not know who she was. Shaking it off Starlight got her head back to her previous task. Thunderclap could wait. For now she had to find Twilight.

Not wanting to stay isolated for too long the pink mare hurried through the castle corridors looking for anypony she could find. At first it seemed devoid of life until she reached the main Harmony Chamber and found a maid pony there. The maid was a hefty earth pony who was adjusting a picture wearing a Prench maid outfit. She had light orange fur and a short spike white mane with a yellow streak in it and had a cuite mark of a seven feathered fan with a wooden handle. Starlight was entranced by the sight of the mare. Her black and white lace outfit fit perfectly over her large curved frame making Starlight blush. After adjusting the picture the mare backed up bumping into a shelf nearby and knocking a few books over. She seemed to scold her clumsiness bending over to pick the books up.

Starlight caught herself staring up the mares skirt shaking her head and scolding herself for being rude. She quickly went up beside the mare making sure to announce herself as to not scare her.

"Hello there miss. Can you help me please?" Starlight asked.

The maid pony turned giving her a kind smile. "Oui madame. Que puis-je faire pour vous?"

Starlight tilted her head not understanding what the mare was asking of her. "Uh, sorry could you repeat that once more please?"

The mare cocked her head in response. "Que voulez-vous dire, 'repeat' ? Étais-je pas clair?"

"Uhhh..."

"I'm sorry madame." The mare apologized bowing to her. "I realized not what I was saying to you. I asked what can I help you with?"

"Oh think nothing of it. I'm sorry, I don't speak Prench? That's the language you were speaking in right?"

The maid bowed again smiling. "Oui madame. Please tell me how I am assisting you."

Starlight giggled to herself pressing her hoof against her mouth at how cute the mare was acting. Such formality and modesty. She liked it. It reminded her of Fluttershy, minus the shy part. She thought about the maids outfit then realized she didn't know her name.

"What is your name miss?" Starlight asked in a sweet tone. "I'm Starlight Glimmer."

"Oh, I am aware of you madame. I am Guiding Wind madame." the maid said with a smile.

Starlight looked over the mare with curiosity. "That's quite different for an earth pony to be named. Sounds like a pegasus name."

The mares kind look turned sour instantly to what Starlight had said, making her wince from the sudden change. "Uh, I meant no offense! Really it... I was just curious you don't have to tell me if you don't want too."

Guiding Wind shook her head slightly still frowning at the mare giving her a disappointed look. "Oh, madame I am not angry at you. Indeed I have a pegasus name both my parents were pegasi."

"Oh, well. I'm sorry to pry it's none of my business." Starlight said sympathetically.

"It's fine madame."she sighed. "It was my grandfathers name. I was to named after he and his father before him."

"Aww, that's so sweet."

"Oui. Now how can I help you?"

"Oh! Right. I was looking for Twilight Sparkle. Have you seen her?" Starlight asked.

"Oui. She is in the library."

Starlight rolled her eyes. "Of course she is. Where else would she be?" she asked sarcastically.

Guiding Wind gave a light chuckle leading Starlight to the library. Along the way the two talked about various things. Likes dislikes and what not. Starlight was surprised to find out that Guiding Wind was actually aspiring to become and actress. She was also skilled at singing and painting as well.

It also turned out the earth pony maid was a big Wonderbolt fan. She was interested in the team of fliers and was also a friend to Rainbow Dash. Turns out Rainbow would race Guiding Wind from time to time just to get a kick out of it and nearly gushed every time she spoke about Rainbow Dash.

"So, I take it you like Rainbow?" Starlight asked the maid.

"Oh! Oui madame! She is sooo amazing! She's the most agile and fit flier I have ever seen!" the mare twirled on her hind legs spinning in place and falling back on her hooves delicately. "She's a dream."

"Wow, you're amazingly agile Guiding Wind." Starlight commented.

"Je vous remercie. Thank you madame." the mare said bowing again.

"Please don't bow. It makes me feel... odd. I hate subjugation." Starlight said, lifting the mares chin up.

"Oh, madame. I choose to bow as a sign of respect. Not submission." Guiding Wind replied sagely.

"But, to bow is showing a submission. It's demeaning for a mare especially one a lovely as you." the unicorn said.

The earth pony replied with a hearty laugh. "Oh madame! Hee, you don't understand. I wish only to show my respect to you by bowing. It's polite." she finished bringing her laughing under control. "I mean not to make you uncomfortable madame."

Starlight sighed rubbing the ridge of her nose. Then she looked at Guiding Wind in the eyes with a soft expression. Her nose only inches away from the maid ponies. "Can you please not bow to me at least? It makes me uncomfortable."

Guiding Wind seemed taken aback by the closeness of the mare, but smiled in return. "Oui madame. If you so wish."

"Thank you." Starlight said hugging Guiding Wind. "I'm sorry."

"No madame," the earth pony mare hugged back, rubbing the unicorns back. "It was my fault. But that's, OK. It is, how do you say, 'in the past?'"

"Yeah." Starlight said her cheeks warmed up as the mare rubbed her back. "All in the past."

After the brief stop the two mares continued down the corridors until they reached the library doors. Once there Guiding Wind approached the doors opening them. She stood to the side and allowed Starlight to enter. Stopping at the threshold Starlight faced Guiding Wind.

"Thanks for the talk. I'm glad to have met you Guiding Wind."

"Oui madame. I too am blessed to have met you. Until next time." he mare bowed again out of habit and closed the doors behind her.

Starlight shook her head as the doors creaked. Just before they completely closed she caught sight of Guiding Wind giving a sly look and winked at her through the doors just before the shut. Starlight blushed slightly and quickly trotted down the isles looking for Twilight. It didn't take long before she fond the princess with her muzzle buried in a thick tome.

Starlight's lips curled mischievously as she laid low nearly crawling on the floor and approached the purple princess. Slowly and silently she crept closer and closer and closer, until she was just inches behind Twilight. She stood up ready to pounce on the purple pony when she suddenly felt something smack her across her flank. With a yelp and mighty leap, Starlight jumped in fright. She then heard Twilight laughing as a rolled up newspaper floated on the floor beside her.

Rubbing her sore spot Starlight grumbled and walked over sitting across from twilight with a sour look. Not taking her nose from her book Twilight said, "How was your nap, Star?"

"I slept like a newborn foal Twilight." she said happily.

The alicorn sighed visibly relaxing a bit. "That's good. So, are you ready to begin with today's lessons?"

Starlight nodded with a wide grin. "Ready as I'll ever be ."

"Then lets begin with a demestration."

Friendship Gained: :heart::heart::heart: Infamy: X

Author's Note:

Hello everyone!

So today's chapter is a bit different. I was planning on making it really short but thought it might feel a bit cheap if I did so. Anyways here it is the next chapter. enjoy!

PreviousChapters Next