• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,780 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,780

PreviousChapters Next
Tiny Stars Big Adventures: First Lessons

A few hours later Miss Cherliee was doing roll call, calling out each child's name which was their responded with 'here' or silence. She was surprised when she reached the end to find that everypony was present with one exception. She glanced around trying to find her mysterious new student she'd been expecting.

The night previous she'd received a letter from Princess Twilight about having her personal student come to attend her classes for few days so she could interact with other foals her age. Although details were very scarce she was more than happy to take a new young mind into her class and help it bloom; however, there was no sign of her new student, and she was sure that none of the other children would know who it was since she lived in the castle.

She glanced at the clock it was getting late and she really needed to begin. She'd just have to write to the princess letting her know her student was late.

"OK, class!" she said in her cheery voice.

All the foals looked up at her with two exceptions. A small brown colt with a small propeller cap had his nose buried in his small hoofheld joy-boy completely unaware that the class had started. Beside him Sweetie Belle nudged him making his gasp loudly and drop his joy-boy. Everypony laughed at his outburst making him blush and cover his face from embarrassment as he slipped his joy-boy away.

The magenta teacher however was not impressed. "Button Mash! Please don't interrupt me when I'm trying to teach." she scolded him.

"Sorry Miss Cherliee. It won't happen again." he responded nasally.

"Good. Please keep yourself in check young colt."

"Yes ma'am."

"Good, now as you I was saying we will be receiving a new student today!" her tone brightened with a smile.

The class began to chatter among themselves. Already she could hear the rumors and speculations.

"Is it anther colt?" "Is it a filly?"

"Wonder if she got they cutie mark yet?" "I hope it's a colt!" "Maybe it's a nerd like Mash!" "HEY!"

Cherliee chuckled tapping her hoof on the ground to get the classes attention. It worked like a charm. Everyone of their tiny heads turned to the tapping sound they've come to expect giving Cherliee their undivided attention.

"Now until she arrives," almost all the fillies groaned. "We will begin with today's lesson. Anatomy!"

She kicked the board making a screen roll down revealing a detailed, yet very abstract, diagram of a unicorn.

"Now class, please open you books to page one-hundred eight and we'll continue our lesson into pony anatomy." she directed.

Everypony opened their books to the assigned page much to the teachers delight. She smiled at the obedience her students were showing today and thought how wonderful it'd be if they were like this all the time. Just then a pair of saddlebags flew inside the room and landed next to the teachers desk and following close behind was a pink filly with a purple mane floating slowly beside them.

The class 'ooh,' and 'ahh' at her arrival as she pulled out a scroll and gave to Miss Cherliee. Taking the note the teacher read it once over smiling down at the filly before addressing the class.

"Alright class our new transfer student is here." she beamed. "Please welcome to our class, Starlight Glimmer."

"Hello Starlight Glimmer!" the class greeted her.

The pink unicorn blushed giving a nervous bow to them. "Hello everybody."

"Well Miss Glimmer, you're just in time for today's lesson. Tell me, how versed are you in pony anatomy?"

"The filly looked up at the board seeing the diagram of a unicorn. Her horn glowed in a teal aura and expanded over herself as she hovered over to it, making everypony gasp, even Cherliee was amazed that she flew even after her grand entrance. She looked over the diagram and shrugged, "It's a bit crude but it gets the point across. Although the horn is a bit outdated."

Everypony gasped at her words making the mulberry mare beside her do a double take.

"I, I'm sorry but what do you mean miss Glimmer?" Cherliee asked unsure of where she was going.

"Well the magical flow is a bit off but the concept is the same. But the horn is almost all wrong." she said floating a marker over to her and drew on the picture. "The horn is actually part of the brain as well. The horn itself is just a extension of the skull to cover the brain matter that is used to concentrate the mana flow from the body to the exit point."

"See all the mana in the body is flowing like blood or rather water in a river. It all flows one way. It goes from body to the horn circles back into the body and repeats. Mana that is used through the horn is expelled when a spell is cast. After expelling so much mana a pony can become exhausted mainly due to the fact the mana used is similar to blood loss. Too much leaves the caster fatigued and tired until the mana recovers." as Starlight explained she drew the lines indicating the flow of mana she spoke of through the diagram of the pony.

Once she finished a brown hoof from the back rose fro the crowd. Starlight pointed to it. "Yes?"

The form of Button Mash stood up and asked, "So the horn is part of a unicorns brain? Is that why unicorn horns a are sensitive and flimsy?"

Starlight smiled while everypony else look at him in shock. The colt never asked a truly intellectual question in class before much less participated. Sure he got average grades but this was the first time most had ever heard of him participating in class. Even Cherliee was surprised by this but a happy surprise it was.

"well, that is part of it. You see the horn has several things called nerves all over it that send signals too..." she paused seeing the blanks looks the class was giving her. She gave a deadpan stare with her ears pressed against her head.

"Wow Starlight I'm impressed!" the mare said excitedly. "I've never heard a filly your age give such detail in pony anatomy! You're well above the average age level, where did you learn this?"

"I was self taught."

Ooooooh. Was the classes response.

"Well Starlight. I'm glad you were able to tell us this but I;m afraid it might be a bit much for the class here." she said, gesturing to the class. "This is advanced stuff we haven't covered yet."

"Oh, sorry everypony." Starlight said quickly bowing to them. "I didn't mean to show off!"

"That's, OK Starlight. We don't punish ponies for being smart. Now take you seat next to Button Mash and we'll get started." the mare said pointing to the brown colt.

"Yes Miss Cherliee and thanks for having me."

Starlight skipped down the isle of colts and fillies. Some scoffed at her, mostly the fillies, while the colts fawned over her. Taking her seat she opened her book to the designated page and listened to Cherliee as she went on with the days lesson. Unbeknownst to her that she had caught the attention of the brown colt beside her much to the disdain of the white filly beside him.

Author's Note:

So there we are guys first day of school and ready to tackle the day!

And what will become of little Star, and what will our fave brown colt do now that she's unintentionally caught his eye? Drama bomb that's what!

Stay tuned for more later!

PreviousChapters Next