• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 3,786 Views, 219 Comments

Student of Friendship - zalla661



Starlight Glimmer, now reformed has begun a journey to spread friendship across the land as Twilight Sparkle's student. Along the way she will make new friends and meet some old ones. (SPOILERS! Takes place after Season Finale)

  • ...
12
 219
 3,786

PreviousChapters Next
Flying the Dream Part 3 Flying Lessons

Later after being released from the hospital Rainbow Dash, Giding Wind, and Starlight were walking through town together while Rainbow was filled in on how Guiding Wind got her wings. Of course Rainbow frowned at Starlight for being so careless, Starlight kept the fact she planned for this to herself, and Rainbow scolded her in a manner most befitting a pegasus of her nature.

“So, not cool Starlight.”

Starlight rolled her eyes. “Hey, it’s not like I meant for this to happen!” She lied. “Besides it’s fine. Guiding Wind is fine and there should be no lasting side effects.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Just be careful next time Starlight.”

“I will, now if you’ll excuse me I have… um, things to take care of!” Starlight said trying to sneak away. “I’ll just leave you two alone and get back to the castle. See ya later!”

Starlight quickly waved goodbye and was off like a shot. She ran a short distance before teleporting away in a large teal bubble of magical light. Rainbow And Guiding Wind were left in an awkward silence. Guiding Wind rubbed her arm nervously, as Rainbow Dash played it cool and just stood with all her weight on two legs leaning against a wall. A sound of her tummy rumbling made the cyan pegasus blush.Guiding Wind stifled a chuckle.

“So, Miss Dash, should we-”

“Hey, call me Rainbow, Guiding Wind. All my closest friends do,” The cyan pegasus said proudly.

“Yes, miss- I mean Rainbow, shall we go get some lunch?” Guiding Wind offered. “I haven’t eaten yet, and seems like you haven’t either.”

“Sounds awesome.”

Rainbow stoop on all four legs and stretched out her wings sending chills down Guiding Winds back. The earth pony turned pegasus was looking at Rainbow as she flapped her powerful wings and lifted off the ground and floated slowly up into the air. Rainbow Dash was about to speed off in her usual leave all the slowpokes behind, but realized the Guiding Wind was flapping her wings but not lifting off the ground.

The maid pony was flapping her wings up and down with no real rhythm and was stretching her neck out with her eyes strained shut. It was like watching a pony try to lift a heavy object but can’t do it. Rainbow chuckled and floated to the mare's side. Tapping Guiding Winds shoulder the maid pony stopped her flapping and looked up confused at Rainbow.

“Hehe, hey you’re not quite doing it right,” Rainbow said landing next to her.

Guiding Wind blushed folding her wings to her side. Rainbow only smiled and placed a wing around her supportively. This brought a smile onto Guiding Winds face and raised her spirits.

“Come on,” Rainbow said floating in front of her. “I’ll show you how to do it.”

She then took Guiding Winds hooves and gently lifted herself up into the air by making small circular flapping motions with her wings and then adjusted her body to lean slightly forward.

“Okay, now start slow. Flap your wings up and down,” Rainbow instructed.

Guiding Wind nodded extending her wings out and started flapping them up and down as instructed. Again nothing happened. Guiding Wind quickly felt her heart sink but Rainbow Kept her kind smile with the mare.

“Don’t worry, you’ll get it, just trust me okay?”

“I will, Miss Dash,” Guiding Wind said.

“Okay, now keep flapping but try to relax your wings as you flap them. Let the wings and feathers become wide to maximize your lift,”Rainbow Said giving more power to her own wings and lifted slightly higher.

“Maximize my what?” Guiding Wind asked.

“Lift. Your wings and stretched too far and you aren’t allowing your feathers to spread and gain any lift. COme on, bring those wings in a little more.”

Guiding Wind nodded, feeling skeptical at first but did as instructed. She pulled her wings in closer to herself and to Rainbow’s word she did feel a major difference. It felt as though her wings were pushing against a small force. Like pushing off the ground but the air was the ground. The look of amazement wasn’t missed by Rainbow Dash who gave Guiding Wind a grin.

“You can feel it can’t you? The lift and resistance from under your wings?” She asked.

“Yes, Miss Dash! You were right!” Guiding Wind chirped happily. “What do I do now?”

Rainbow’s grin grew. “Flap harder now… but only a little bit!” She instructed ignoring the fact Guiding Wind forgot to stop calling her, Miss Dash. “You can feel the lift so now just put more force behind it and you’ll go higher. Put less effort into it and you’ll either float or descend. It’s up to you to decide how to go about it though.”

Guiding Wind did as she was told. She flapped her wings a bit harder and faster. She felt the force of her wings lift working against her body and gravity. Then she could feel her hooves slowly lifting off the ground. Once she felt the lift she flapped her wings a bit harder and felt her body began to lift completely off the ground. She looked down to see her hooves inches off the ground and it filled her with joy and pride.

“I-I’m flying… Miss Dash I’m flying!” She said excited.

Rainbow chuckled at the ecstatic mare. “Yeah, it is a nice feeling isn’t it? Bet ya can become a natural in no time flat!” Rainbow’s boasting made Guiding Wind blush.

“Oh, miss Dash you flatter me. I will never being as good as you though.”

Rainbow gave the mare a tug by her arms and leaned back pulling her with her some ways.

“Okay now what I want you to do now is try moving your wings in forward motions as you flap. Think of it like…” Rainbow tapped her chin with one hoof holding onto Guiding Wind with the other, as she thought of a way to explain the next step.

Then it hit her.

“Let me ask you, can you swim?” Rainbow asked Guiding Wind.

“Uio madame, I can swim.” Guiding Wind said.

She then tried to imitate the wing motions she had seen rainbow Dash do before, and combined it with her idea of stroking her arms to swim. What she got was a massive push forward making her muzzle connect with rainbow Dash's. The two mares blushed as their mouths came into contact and they both stopped flapping and fell to the ground. Rainbow managed to hold Guiding Wind and took the fall to the ground herself leaving the maid pony on top of her.

As they recovered from their fall rainbow and Guiding Wind stared at each other flabbergasted by the position they were in. Rainbow was holding Guiding Wind in her arms, held tightly against her chest. Guiding Winds was read like a tomato as she realized she was straddling Rainbow and tried to get up from the embarrassing position.

“I’m so sorry, Miss Dash. Please for give me I-”

“Hey Guiding Wind?”

“-I wasn’t expecting to move forward so fast and then the kiss. I swear I wasn’t taking advantage of-”

“Guiding Wind it’s fine!” Rainbow yelled startling the mare into silence. “Seriously, it’s fine. I know you better than that. I know you wouldn’t.”

Rainbow’s words sent a chill down Guiding Winds spine. She felt relieved that the mare had no ill will against her for the mistake. Which begged the question, why didn’t Rainbow mind? Guiding Wind was sure Rainbow would be angry with her for this, but she was unusually calm. Guiding Wind could see the playfulness behind Rainbow’s smile. There was a hint of mischief in it that she knew all too well for the rainbow pegasus. What came next was nothing short of thrilling and awe inspiring for the mare.

Rainbow leaned forward pulling Guiding Wind down and planted a firm kiss on her lips. Guiding Wind struggled at first but soon relented to the kiss and allowed it. The two mares shared in a moment of passion that lasted for a long time. Rainbow pulled away, and Guiding Wind tried to stay with her but was gently nudged away.

“Was that good?” Rainbow asked shyly to Guiding Wind.

The maid pony smiled and kissed her cheek. “It was a dream come true, Rainbow. Does this mean you’re my marefriend now?” Guiding Wind asked.

Rainbow nodded once. “Yes, it is Guiding Wind. Even if your wings are only temporary I always wanted to ask you out, I was just afraid.”

“And I was worried I was going to hold you back from being a successful flier. Oh, how silly we have both been,” Guiding Wind chuckled with rainbow.

“Yeah, it was kinda silly, huh?” Rainbow asked getting up with Guiding Wind. “So, lunch date with me?” She asked awkwardly to Guiding Wind.

“Sure, Rainbow Dash. I would be delighted to go on a lunch date with you. Afterwards I would like you to escort me back to the castle if it’s not too much trouble?”

“Of course Guiding Wind. Rainbow Dash never leave a pony hanging. Be it friend or foe,” Rainbow smirked leaning into Guiding Winds side as they both walked down the street with their wings wrapped around each other's back. “And trust me Guiding Wind, you are definitely my friend.”

Guiding WInd smiled leaning her head into Rainbow’s cheek affectionately. “Same to you, Rainbow Dash.”

So, the two mares walked towards the center of town heading for a bite to eat in lovers bliss. Off in the distance Starlight Glimmer stood on the top of Twilight’s Castle watching up until the two mares collided and started to kiss. She then stopped peering through the telescope she had and walked away with a smug grin on her face.

“One, friendship turned into shipping lesson, done!” She said conjuring up a clipboard and check marked a list she made. “Well, that’s one thing off my master list. Now, time to… chillax? With Rainbow Dash? What’s this?”

Starlight read a small note on the clipboard that read as follows: Dear Starlight my Faithful Student,

I’m sorry I didn’t give this to you personally. I just wanted to give you these friendship lessons I’d like you to do whenever you can. Take your time but make sure you get them done soon. I’m looking forward to your friendship lesson progress!

Love always, Your mentor and friend forever, Twilight Sparkle.

Starlight looked at the slip of paper and noticed a few others were attached behind it. She read them individually. Sew with Rarity, back a cake with Pinkie Pie, help and animal with Fluttershy, scrapbook with Applejack? What kind of lessons were these? She thought looking them over again. After a second look she shrugged and walked to her room. Entering she threw the papers onto the table near her bed and yawned.

“HAAAA! Man I’m tired. I think I’ll take a nap and deal with these friendship lessons later…” She yawned flopping on her bed.

Starlight yawned once more rolling onto her back and placing her head on the pillow and smiled as she snuggled under her blankets. She then fell into a deep sleep and was filled with happy joys of her old friend Sunburst, who she still missed dearly. Her dream became more blissful when Button joined in and she played with the colt in a massive flower field under the watchful gaze of the monarch butterfly, not realizing there was a moth with a skull on its back lurking nearby.

Author's Note:

And next time we reveal what happens after lunch! What will Starlight do about her friendship lessons? And who was that silly little moth off in the distance, and what could it mean? Hmm? A msyter to solve.

PreviousChapters Next