• Published 12th Oct 2016
  • 1,584 Views, 36 Comments

The Last Memory - Boxpony13



When a mysterious being emerges from deep underground, he finds a whole new world on the surface. But his appearance is not only unusual, but his origins also hold a past world that has since been long forgotten.

  • ...
3
 36
 1,584

Chapter 3 - Misunderstanding

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter. :)

This one was difficult for me to write, I seem to always struggle in explaining details in a story or explain too much.

Thanks again to everyone who took their time to read what I have so far and as always please give me constructive criticism. :D

Note: Please let me know if an image is not showing up in chapter 2 and I'll see if I can fix it. I've been having slight trouble in putting an image in the story.

Also these chapters will probably be weekly updates but I'll let you guys know if there will be a delay for an update.

"A mistake is to commit a misunderstanding."
~ Bob Dylan


To say Rainbow Dash was losing her patience was an understatement. It had been nearly an hour and a half since she and her friends entered into the Everfree Forest in search of Fluttershy's pet Angel bunny. After having no such luck from finding them together, they decided to split up and cover more ground faster. Rainbow Dash had searched all over the place but unfortunately she couldn't find the mischievous bunny. She eventually met up with Rarity who also had a similar outcome during her search.

Currently they were both walking through the north part of the forest looking for both Fluttershy and her pet.

"Ugh, where is that dang rabbit," Rainbow Dash asked in frustration, "He couldn't have gotten THAT far from us!"

"Now now Rainbow Dash, the Everfree Forest is quite large," Rarity stated, trying to calm down the restless Pegasus floating next to her, "and don't forget that Fluttershy is also looking for Angel as well. Who knows, maybe she has already found him as we speak."

"I hope so, cuz I haven't had lunch yet and I'm getting hungry," exclaimed Rainbow Dash, clenching her stomach as it growled in hunger.

"Quite, and I was so looking forward to having afternoon tea with dear Fluttershy," Rarity sighed.

Suddenly, there was rustling in the bushes in front of them as both Rarity and Rainbow Dash looked to find a small white bunny appear from out of it, hopping quickly towards the pair of ponies.

"Angel?" Rarity asked, surprised, looking at the rabbit who seemed worn out from hopping.

Angel took a few deep breaths wiping beads of sweat that formed on his brow as he began to frantically began to try to create hand motions to the girls to tell them what happened to him and Fluttershy.

"I think he's trying to tell us something," Rarity observed trying to figure out what the he was trying to tell them.

The white rabbit made a few motions of a shy and timid looking equine as both mares continued to observe his hand gestures. Rainbow Dash widened her eyes as she quickly figured out what he was trying to say.

"Did you see Fluttershy? Did something happen to her?" Rainbow Dash asked, a slight panic in her voice as she hovered closer towards Angel.

Angel nodded quickly, motioning something that had large claws and sharp teeth, imitating a howl as the two mares continued to observe his gestures. He then pointed back towards the direction that he came from, trying to show them where he last saw Fluttershy. Suddenly a faint howl could be heard in the distance the three of them turned towards the direction that Angel was pointing towards. They knew that howl from anywhere and with the body motions that Angel had shown them, it was quite clear what had happened.

"FLUTTERSHY!" Rarity and Rainbow Dash shouted in unison.

Without hesitation, the two equines and one rabbit sprinted towards the direction of the howl hoping that they weren't too late to save their best friend from danger.


It had been a few minutes since they began to head towards the direction of the howling as they two mares and one rabbit began to panic more and more. It seemed that the Timberwolves had chased Fluttershy even deeper into the forest than they thought, worrying that they may not reach her in time. As they continued to move deeper and deeper into the forest, the faint sounds of wood shattering could be heard as well as the whines of the Timbewolves. Then the sounds suddenly died down. While this simply confused Rarity, Rainbow Dash flew even faster to try and reach the scene as quick as she could. As she entered a large clearing in the forest she flew above the treeline to try and get a better view of the surrounding area. Her mind was racing, trying to frantically look for a pink and yellow pegasus, hoping that maybe, just maybe, Fluttershy was somewhere in the open.

As she looked downwards she instantly saw what looked like a pink maned and yellow coated mare entering the clearing. Squinting her eyes harder, she soon realized that it indeed was her childhood friend Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash smiled as relief flowed across her body now that she knew her friend was safe. Her timid friend however, did not noticed a sizable rock in front of her as she tripped and fell forwards, tumbling a bit. The cyan pegasus was about to fly down and help her when another pony had suddenly appeared from behind Fluttershy.

The new equine appeared to be an earth pony stallion, his whole body was covered with mud and dirt as well as his disheveled mane and tail. Many scenarios ran through her mind at what he was doing as he appeared in front of Fluttershy slowly raising his left hoof towards her. To Rainbow Dash, this unknown and dirty stallion looked as if he was about to hit her close friend. She wasn't gonna let that happen, not one bit and without hesitation she zoomed downwards with great speed towards the stallion, throwing her front hooves in front of her.

"GET AWAY FROM FLUTTERSHY YOU CREEP!!!" Rainbow Dash shouted as her front two hooves impacted with the right side of the dirty stallions face.


The stallion was thrown many yards away from Fluttershy, tumbling and crashing until finally grounding into the dirt.

Taking a moment to readjust himself, he looked back to see another winged pony, also female, hovering above Fluttershy. She had a cyan coat while her mane and tail was rainbow colored. On her flank was an image of a cloud with a red, yellow, and blue lightning bolt. Her face had a look of agony and pain as she held her front hooves like she had hurt them in some way.

"What the hay is his face made out of, steel?” She muttered, her raspy voice sounded pained from hitting his face.

"Rainbow Dash!?" Fluttershy asked surprised at her sudden appearance and shocked that she attacked the one who had saved her life.

The cyan pegasus ignored the throbbing pain that coursed through her front legs as she landed in front of Fluttershy.

"Fluttershy are you okay? Are you hurt? He didn't do anything to you did he?" Rainbow Dash asked looking over her buttery-yellow friend for any injuries.

"I'm fine Rainbow, but..."

Fluttershy couldn't finish her explanation as both mares heard the sound of somepony walking slowly towards them.

28% complete.

Rainbow Dash turned to look at the mysterious equine with anger in her magenta eyes, but then changed into shock, surprised that he not only recovered from her attack quickly, but didn't even receive even a scratch from it. Her shock didn't last long however, as she took a defensive stance in front of Fluttershy glaring at the dirty stallion as she shouted, "I don't know who you are or what you're up to, but there's no way that I'm going to let you hurt a hair on my best friend!"

Fluttershy looked at the cyan mare panicking as she pleaded, "Rainbow Dash, wait, you don't understand he..."

"FLUTTERSHY!"

A posh voice interrupted Fluttershy's explanation. The dirty stallion turned to see another pony appear near the east side of the clearing. The pony was a mare with an alabaster white coat. She had a violet mane and tail, which was curled near the ends. She also sported an image on her flank, which were three light blue diamonds. Unlike the other two mares, this one didn't have wings. Instead, a horn protruded from atop her forehead. A white creature with long ears also appeared from the bushes and hopped on Fluttershy’s back, hugging her neck as the alabaster mare walked up to the timid pegasus giving her a hug as well.

"Oh Fluttershy darling I'm so glad that you're alright!" the horned pony exclaimed as she squeezed the shy mare in her grasp.

"Angel, Rarity, you're all here," Fluttershy exclaimed, surprised that they were all here, but happy nonetheless that they found each other.

Rarity released Fluttershy from her hug as she turned her gaze to the direction of Rainbow Dash and the new earth pony stallion covered in dirt and mud.

"Rainbow Dash, what's going on? Who is that...FILTHY pony?" Rarity asked, nearly gagging in disgust at the last part of her question as she noticed his appearance.

From top to bottom his body was covered in a thick layer of dirt and mud, completely hiding his coat underneath. His mane and tail was all scuffed up also covered with dirt and grime. Rarity was shocked to say the least. How can he be so filthy? She thought to herself, Does he even care about his appearance? Better yet, how long has he been this filthy?

"I'll tell you what's going on," Rainbow Dash exclaimed, pointing her hoof right towards the dirty equine, "that stallion over there was trying to get his dirty hooves all over Fluttershy! He was about to hit her too if I didn't give him a good old rainbow punch to the face!"

"That's not what happened he...," Fluttershy started to say but was cut off when Rainbow Dash continued talking.

"But I'm not gonna let you take one more step towards my friends you hear?" the cyan pegasus threatened, lowering into a charging stance, daring the stallion to take that step.

Rarity's eyes widen at hearing this, then formed into a glare towards the filthy earth pony.

“You're right,” the alabaster unicorn agreed, “we won’t let you get near Fluttershy you brute!”

While this was happening, the mysterious earth pony observed the now unfavorable situation that he was put in. It was clear that these two new sentient equines knew who the yellow mare named Fluttershy. But he was rather confused as to why they had taken an aggressive stance against him. Did he do something that was offensive to their culture? Was his appearance threatening to them? Or was their entire race all female due to some kind of war that killed off all the males? More and more questions seemed to develop in his head the more he interacted with the new world around him.

45% complete.

He noticed that they seemed to have said some things to Fluttershy as well as towards him, but due to the language barrier, he just didn't know what they were saying. His voice analyzer was almost halfway completed but it would take just a little more time until the process was complete and decrypted so he could begin speaking their language.

However, his first priority at this very moment was to get in their good graces so as to not be considered a threat. Perhaps if he moved slowly towards them, it could show that he meant no harm and that he simply wished peace. Slowly he began to move forward just a little bit.

Bad idea.

But the second he did that, the rainbow pony charged at him at incredible speeds. Now to the eyes of a normal being, she would've looked like a blur with a rainbow streak following close behind coming right at them. But to the stallion, he could clearly see the mare and predict her course of direction as he simply side stepped to the left making the Pegasus zip right past him, a rainbow colored streak following close behind. Rainbow Dash was surprised by this, nopony could or even should be able to react to that kind of speed at that short amount of time let alone even dodge it. However, she never broke her momentum as Rainbow Dash quickly zoomed upwards and turned back down towards the earth ponies direction. Immediately, the stallion hopped towards the right allowing her to once again zip right past him.

The cyan colored mare changed her course and made an U-shaped turn back towards the dirty stallion. Once again the male equine attempted to sidestep away from her path. However when he tried to move, a strange light of blue aura surrounded his body making him unable to move. He turned to see that the alabaster mares horn glowed the same color as the aura around him. He could see an invisible connection linked between the mares horn and the energy enclosing him. The earth pony realized that whatever she did, she had somehow done something to make him immobilized. Quickly trying to break free from the aura, the dirty equine strained against the light blue energy noticing that the unicorn was also straining in keeping him in. Noticing that the cyan Pegasus was getting much closer towards him, he made one more push against the light blue aura. With all his strength he finally broke free of the aura as the alabaster unicorn nearly fainted from the sudden energy that broke off from her horn. Quickly, he jumped to the left just in time to just barely dodge the rainbow mane pony's attack.

The dirty stallion swiftly regained his balance as he looked to see the rainbow maned pony land next to the horned mare. Both sides stared down at one another, the two mares giving him the death glare while the stallion gave them his emotionless face. The cyan one pawed at the ground, ready to attack once again while the alabaster one re-lit her horn.

Then, they charged.

The male earth pony was in a dilemma. He knew that fighting back was not a good idea, as he didn’t want to harm or possibly kill the sentient lifeforms that he could learn from. But he also knew that if he didn't do anything, then he would be destroyed when his journey had barely started. That thought unfortunately made him choose to defend himself. Perhaps he could incapacitate them so that they were unable to fight. Digging his hooves into the dirt, he charged up his weapons, targeting the cyan mares wings and the alabaster mares horn. He really didn't want to have to use them on the two equines, but he also didn't want to drag this out anymore than it had to.

Suddenly a pink mane Pegasus zipped right in front of the stallion.

“STOOOOOP!!!”

The yellow pegasus' shout caused both mares to immediately halted in their tracks, skidding right in front of Fluttershy.

“Girls please!” Fluttershy pleaded with a worried face. “He wasn’t going to hurt me. In fact, he was the one who saved me from a pack of Timberwolves back in the woods. Please understand this is just a misunderstanding.”

Her friends looked at each other, then back at Fluttershy. They then took another glance at the dirty stallion. The rainbow maned pony narrowed her eyes, not convinced in the slightest.

"Well if that's true then why did it look like he was about to hit you?" Rainbow Dash asked still glaring at the filthy equine behind her timid friend.

"He was simply trying to help me up after I tripped on a rock," Fluttershy explained, looking at her long time friend, "again, this is all just a simple misunderstanding."

While the cyan pegasus continued to glare at the motionless stallion, the alabaster unicorn slowly walked towards her yellow friend, her eyes filled with guilt, “We’re terribly sorry darling. But when Rainbow Dash and I went to go search for you, we just so happened to find Angel who told us that you were in trouble. When we heard the howls of Timberwolves, we feared for the worst. Please understand Fluttershy dear that we were extremely worried about you. But I guess it's no excuse for attacking somepony based off an assumption.”

Rarity lowered her head down as her ears also did the same. She then turned to the silent stallion, walking up to him but not too close as she didn't want to touch the dirt that was smothered all over his body.

Sighing, Rarity said, “I’m terribly sorry for attacking you, I didn’t know that you saved Fluttershy from a pack of Timberwolves and was only trying to help. Could you ever find it in yourself to forgive me?”

66% complete.

The dirty equine simply stared at her, tilting his head once again as his eyes blinked a few times.

"He doesn't know our language," Fluttershy explained, trying not to cause another misunderstanding for his lack of response.

"Oh my, I didn't know," Rarity gasped in realization, Rainbow Dash raised her eyebrow with curiosity, "Goodness I do hope he doesn't think badly of us for what we tried to do."

"It's hard to tell since he doesn't show a lot of emotion," Fluttershy stated, noting that throughout her time with him his face was always the same neutral look even during his scuffle with her friends, "but I assume that he has forgiven you since he hasn't shown any hostility towards us. At least, that's what I think."

And hope, Fluttershy added in her mind.

“Nonetheless, we must make up for attacking him somehow,” She pondered, thinking of someway to show that they were sorry.

"What do you think Rainbow darling?" Rarity asked, turning towards the silent cyan mare who was hovering right behind her.

"I don't trust him," Rainbow Dash stated, folding her forehooves into a pout while narrowing her eyes at the lonely stallion.

"Rainbow Dash!" Rarity scolded, shocked that pegasus friend was behaving in such a way, "Why would you say such a thing?"

"There's just something not normal about him," the cyan mare answered.

Her front legs were still sore when she punched the stallion in the face, it felt like she punched a super thick iron wall. Not to mention how he seemed to be perfectly fine immediately afterwards when most would have been bruised and knocked out from that kind of attack. Then there was the fact that he dodged all of her attacks in such a short amount of time. Nopony could've reacted THAT quickly, not even the Wonderbolts were capable of those kind of reflexes. And finally, there was the fact that he somehow broke Rarity's telepathic hold on him. An earth pony would've had to have some serious strength in order to overpower unicorn magic. Yep, there was definitely something not right with this stallion and she was gonna find out the truth.

Rolling her eyes at Rainbow Dash's accusation, she turned her gaze back to the filthy stallion, scanning his body as an idea popped in her mind.

"That's it! I know what we can do to apologize!" She exclaimed, "A trip to the spa to clean all that filthy dirt and grime off of him. I think the Super-extra-strength-deep-tissue-wash should do the trick."

"How is that an apology Rarity?" Fluttershy asked with a deadpanned expression.

"But Fluttershy dear, just look at him," Rarity explained, pointing her hoof towards the stallion dramatically, "He looks as if he's never taken a bath in years, YEARS darling, can you imagine being dirty for that long!? It's simply awful, just awful! Why we'd be doing him a favor by making him look clean and refined. Besides, with everything that's happened today I do believe that we all deserve a nice trip to the spa as well. My treat of course."

Fluttershy for her part sweat dropped at this, it sorta seemed like an excuse for them to just go to the spa. Then again, Rarity did have a point in that the stallion looked like he hadn't bathed in quite a long time. Just what exactly was he doing to cover himself in dirt from head to hoof?

The dirty stallion was slightly confused, when the alabaster mare began yell with a wide range of different emotions, he wondered if he should label her as a potential threat to his safety or not. But when she pointed a hoof towards him, he looked down, analyzing his body and realized that he had accumulated quite a lot of dirt all over his body. When you've spent a long time digging, that will happen to you. Looking back he assumed that she was referring to his dirty appearance and that he had to get cleaned. It was probably best if he cleaned himself, otherwise something might malfunction in the future. Perhaps they would lead him to a water source to wash the dirt and mud.

Giving a deep sigh, Fluttershy answered, "Okay Rarity, we'll go to the spa."

“Excellent!” Rarity exclaimed smiling but then realized something, “Goodness me where are my manners? I don't believe I've properly introduced myself."

"My name is Rarity," she said, pointing to herself.

She then pointed to the cyan mare still hovering behind her pouting while looking the other way, "and that one over there is Rainbow Dash.”

89% complete.

Rainbow Dash took a quick glance at the earth pony and snorted turning her attention back the other way.

The stallion stood there for a moment processing what he had just heard before pointing at the alabaster mare replying in his distorted voice, "R...AIR...etee."

He then pointed towards the cyan pegasus, "RaYn...bOW...D...Aashhh."

Both Rarity and Rainbow Dash stared at the strange earth pony with confused looks to the way his voice sounded. Rarity shook her head and asked, "Might we inquire your name?"

At this, the stallion pointed to himself and replied, "NA..yme?"

Again, the two mares looked at him quizzically.

"We're still working on that one," Fluttershy explained.

Rarity slightly frowned, "I guess we'll skip formalities for now until we can teach him Equestrian better."

Her smile returned as she began to walk towards the other end of the clearing, "Well come along then, we should get moving if we are to check into the spa before they close."

Fluttershy turned towards their mysterious companion and gestured for him to follow as she began to walk towards the direction Rarity went as Angel rode on her back. The earthy pony stallion soon began to follow as Rainbow Dash trailed at the end giving him a suspicious glare as they entered the dark woods once again.

Analyzing complete. Beginning language decryption.

Comments ( 22 )

I don't like the idea of Rainbow dash of not trusting some, it been over done. But in this one she had some what of a good reason. Guess what I'm saying I'm tried of dash distrustful of pony for no reason

lol, name him Not Sure.

7643015
Haha he has a name it'll be revealed soon. But Not Sure is funny! XD

Comment posted by N4rwh41 deleted Oct 15th, 2016

7644076
Oops gotta fix that!

7642911 Yeah I can understand that, but Rainbow Dash has VERY good reasons to be Distrustful over a Stallion who is so...UNNATURAL. The others just assume he's a really awesome Earth Pony, but RD knows better.

Personally I am VERY curious to see where this is going. I enjoy this slow build in the story, and I cannot WAIT to see what happens next! <3

7644220 How goes the next chapter?

7661199
It may unfortunately take a little longer than I realized due to work and an upcoming convention that I'm preparing for.

GIVE ME MORE YOU TEASE!

7676532
Hehe I was implying that he was staring at the sky with a majestic gaze (if that makes sense). I'll see if I can fix that if others are confused by that statement as well.

7676740 ples sir, may i have another?

Well dear author you asked for feedback :twilightsheepish:

Praise:

I like the presented concept so far. This has potential to be really fun and I will definately continue to read it. :pinkiesmile:

Now I would like to give some constructive feedback. :twilightsmile:

Fluttershy for her part sweat dropped

This is an example of a "Sight Gag"

sight gag
noun informal
a visual joke.

While this works well in a visual medium like a cartoon I would recommend avoiding this in the written word.

but she could only slightly tell that he had a pure white coat and mane.

but it had a titanium white coat which was completely coated in dirt and mud. His mane and tail were also a titanium white color

Your adjectives for the shade of his coat changed from one paragraph to the next. Not a huge deal but consistency is a good thing to strive for. :pinkiehappy:

Good show so far! I look forward to more!

Also the reason your images are not showing is that imgur is for some reason blacklisted on this site. A simple solution is to setup a deviant art account and post/link to the images there.

7713886
Thank you sooo much for the feedback as well as the image problem I've been having!

I just came in and this story is highly intriguing and I would love to see more. A few grammar errors here and there, they were easy enough to get around though. And I must say that thine artwork is beautiful. Keep it up!

I'm agree with Tempest Knight, I really hope the next chapter will come soon :pinkiehappy:

Great stuff man

Is this story alive?

Continuarlo por favor

Soooo... shall it continue?

Sadly this fic appears to be dead.:(

Will there be another chapter

*Preforms CPR on the story*

Login or register to comment