• Published 31st Aug 2015
  • 490 Views, 2 Comments

Arrival of a Prince - Ponyess



Prince Blueblood had just arrived from a trip to the Royal castle of Canterlot. The invitation was written by Pinkie Pie, even if the Prince never learned of it. Now he is greeted by his court and subjects.

  • ...
 2
 490

A Royal Homecoming: 2

Author's Note:

Prince Blueblood's POV

The treat certainly had been royal, I had to hoof it to her. She certainly did know her massages. If only I had had a masseur the likes of her, and I would have been prime to sit court any day of the week.

As great as her hooficure had been, there is the strange drawback to it. I can’t go anywhere without the squeaking noises to my every step. If it had merely been normal hoof step noises, none had reacted. Now they do notice, even when I try to sneak in, into a room.

Most of them try to hide what they feel, but the faces they make. The squeaking seems to have a way to get to them. Maybe I should not blame them, I know all too well what they feel.


When I arrived home from the trip to the Royal palace of Canterlot, I soon noticed that every last little mat and rug had been replaced. Most of them look more or less identical. The colours were not giving them away, but the way they feel like under my hooves. Even if the fact that they look new, even have the fresh new scent to them.

Maybe I should be grateful for the mats, I don’t hear the squeak as I set hoof on the mat, but instead I have the strangely exciting sensation with each and every step. How does one explain it, to one’s subjects? Of course it is affecting me, I feel different too. Exactly how much it interfere with my work is an entirely different matter altogether.


Granted, I am uncharacteristically relaxed as I set hoof in my castle. Yet, there are still a few things that stick out. Naturally, no Pony said a word, they had no idea as to what had happened. Some Pony had swapped the mats while I was out.


“Greetings, your highness!” the guard greeted me as he set eyes on me as I approached the gate.

“Greetings, Guard!” I responded.

“Everything is on the up and up here, nothing eventful. Your trip to Canterlot went well, I take it?” he then expressed.

“As well as could be expected. That is good. At ease!” I responded.

As strange as the trip had been, considering; but nothing had apparently happened and nothing had changed. I can only guess it wasn’t a rouse to have me out of my court and castle for some ill-willed purpose.

“You do look particularly relaxed!” the guard now observed.

“The Royal masseur is divine. I will miss her. How ever did the Princess manage to get her hoof on such a Pony?” I responded.

I could see my guard relax, as I responded. Maybe he feared that i would be angered by what could be taken as kissing up. Yet, his observation had obviously been correct.

“Sadly, I have no experience in that field, but I am a guard, my training is in defending you and your castle. She has been in power for a full millenia by now. I can only imagine she has been planning this for ages. Allicorns have long sighted plans well beyond the grasp of mere subjects like myself!” he put forth in a daring response.

“Guards are chosen by toughness and capability in battle. You have done well there, I have to admit. She certainly is a long-lived Alicorn!”I pondered.

“Being tough is part of the service. She has served her Ponies well. We are lucky to have her!” the guard continued.

“Return to your post!” I commanded the guard who turned around and trotted back to the post by the gate in haste.


His report was optimistic. It had been to the point, explaining the situation. I had not been absent long enough for anything to change, but still; you never knew, things could turn for the worse on an instant’s notice for no particular reason.

Now I will need to see my ministers, but I had a few other matters to attend to, before I intended to perform any official duties. I need a moment to myself, and a meal.

Trotting off to the kitchen is usually a breeze. Now I had to be careful, the noises were getting to me, but the mat in the middle of the path along the hall is distracting and exciting me.

Light steps lessened the annoying noises from my hooves, and I could still stop comfortably on the mat by the door. These high quality mat was worth every bit of expenses they represented. At least that is a comfort.


As a Unicorn, I can easily open each and every door with my magic. That is convenient right now. On the other hoof, the magic is part of my heritage, royalty was traditionally unicorns, until the Alicorns came along. With their superior magic, both in strength and subtlety, they had proven themselves. Their longevity wouldn’t exactly speak up against them either. Experience is a tool not to scoff at. Used well, it could even outmaneuver the better equipped.

Of course; that finesse is exactly what we Unicorns had always prided ourselves with. It is what we used to hold the Earth Ponies and Pegasi at be, rationalising our place in the past.


“Welcome back!” the Royal Chef greeted me, bowing slightly in honour of my position.

“Greetings, it is good to be home!” I responded with a nod just slightly less than his.

“I take it the trip to Canterlot and the Royal castle went well!” he then responded.

“As good as could have been expected. Only now, the trip made me hungry, I need something to eat!” I expressed.

“I understand. Would a sandwich be to your liking? Or would you need a cup of tea to the sandwich too?” he then filled in.

“A cup of tea to the sandwich should be perfect!” I responded.

I stood still, patiently waiting as he scurried off and made the sandwich for me, just after a single nod in acknowledgement of the instruction.

Even if my hooves were not going to me messy or spread anything in his shiny clean kitchen, it is the noises my hooves made that kept me in place. Besides, there is nothing I can do to hurry him up in his job. I want the sandwich he makes, the way he makes it, when he is permitted the time to do it in his good time. No rushing perfection.

Once he came back with the silver plate on which a sandwich and cup of tea was resting, placing it before me, I slowly enjoyed the treat he prepared for me in silence. For now, I had nothing to say and no instructions or orders to give.

With the tea before me, I could see my Chef going back to his work. Although I know he keeps an eye on me. Watching over his kitchen is his first duty after all. This is the place where his word carry weight.


While I enjoyed my light meal, the guard summoned the ministers, in order for the meeting to take place once I returned to the hall of meetings. I will have to commend him for efficiency and quickness, on some occasion, but soon.

Tentative steps take longer, but for now I will have to make due. There was no haste calling me forth, no need to rush. The squeaking and sensitivity had to take their due as much as I did not feel like giving in. I need to stay sharp and on top of things, even now.

Sadly, a Prince has to maintain his cool and the respect of all his subjects, particularly the once closest under him. These are the once surrounding me right here in my very own castle.

On the subject, I can only hope the mare in my private chambers enjoy my new noises, such as they are. If and when I do have a mare in my chambers, and the time to enjoy her.


As I reach the door of the great hall, the guard outside hastily swings the doors open and announces my arrival in a very dignifying manner.

“All raise!” my prime Minister pronounced as I came into the hall.

“Take your seats!” I added as I reached the short end of the heavy wooden table, assembled out of the finest Cherry wood, polished to a high gloss finish.

Of course my advisors had taken their places to the right and left, while my prime Minister picked the right corner. A prime Minister is after all the second in command, unless it is a state of War or Emergency declared.

Right now, we are at peace, it is the entire nation of the beloved Equestria. With that in mind, the prime Minister is to my right. The mare had served me well for all these long years she had been in my service. Her family could be proud.

On the left side, the Supreme commander sit, with an adjutant, three Admirals and their advisors. On the right, I have the ministers of Education, Agriculture, Transport and Equestrian affairs, with an advisor each.

The Military had a very thin folder before her, closed. In peace time, military is mainly taking a back seat in passive appreciation. There is very little to add. Besides, Celestia was taking the brunt of most military issues in any case. She certainly had performed her role admirably. The only backside to it, is that I myself has very little of opportunity to shine myself. Maybe I shouldn’t complain? I rather live out my days in peace, than enjoy the short glory of the chance to shine. I am no fool, or even a military stallion.


“I am pleased to announce that there is absolutely nothing to report!” the minister of Education pronounced happily.

The minister of Education merely nodded, indicating that she had nothing further to add. Education had nothing new. There is no developmen of the state of the Education. Of course, I guess I had known it, it is what was o be expected.

The minister of Transport merely nodded in turn. There is nothing to add. Our infrastructure is quite adequate. I had made sure of it.

Naturally, there was little to no point of adding anything. The final face merely looked up as my eyes fell upon her. She nodded.

“Since you have nothing to add; the meeting is closed. You will of course convene next week on the same day!” I pointed out, as if it had not been expected.

They all filed out, one by one. I remain seated, quietly. Of course I had not expected anything new. There rarely was anything new to add in our weekly meetings. although there was always the small glimmer of hope. A slight chance, or risk that something happened, for good or bad. Just for the excitement of something to take up.

Of course, this was just a regular meeting, not one of the special occasions where topics had to be dealt with.


Looking around, seeing the Ministers filing out, quietly. In respect of the position, and the seriousness of the business, even if we thankfully had nothing to discuss this week.

“Quiet, such a blessing. Although I could have a meeting with something more interesting every once in a while. There is bound to be a new idea, something that could be approved!” I put forth, once only my prime minister was still in the room.

“Yes. I will try to dig up something to discuss for next week!” the Minister responded, before she rose to her hooves and followed the others out.

I sit alone, quiet. Contemplating the options. As a Prince, there are always options to consider. I have these meetings once each week on a regular basis. I like it this way, the option is not thinkable. The meetings keeps us focused, always looking forwards. I like looking forwards. If we don’t hold them regularly, Ponies will panic, every time there is a meeting. Maybe something has gone wrong. What is this crisis about?


Once the last Minister had left the room, I rose to my hooves. Slowly gathering myself and trotted out. Carefully, slowly and quiet.

Trotting along the halls, quietly. Funny how fast I had adapted to this new way of moving aound in my very own halls. It is after all still my castle. I am no spy, I don’t need to worry any Pony saw me, heard me or spotted me. It isn’t them I am hiding from in the first place.


As I enter a new hall, I hear a loud squeak. Then I noticed, too late, the mares sitting by a table, having tea. They had been enjoying the moment in stillness. Just a quiet conversation on a mundane topic among mares. Nothing special to it.

Only now, they all look up, clearly blushing in embarrassment. Even if one can never tell, it isn’t exactly visible through the coat of a Pony. Yet, it isn’t in the obvious, but in how they look at me.

In this case, I am no imagining it. As much as one is told that it is all in the head. We always say it is in the head. yet, now I know it is not.

The room is quit, while they stare, mouths agape. There was nothing they could have done to prevent the reaction. Just as it was too late to hide it. They obviously knew it was too late, I have seen it.


The moment seemingly eternal only lasted so long. Maybe a few minutes, but not much more than that.

Maybe it is a slight hint of a scent of excitement I felt. Something told me what I wanted to feel. Yet, it may as well be what I did not want to know. One of these mares obviously was excited by the noise I had inevitably made as I entered the room.

I was more excited and aroused than I had hoped, more than I was used to deal with when there was nothing in particular going on.

Had I been following a particular mare along the hall, I had been expected this. Now I had burst into a room, in which a few mares were currently gathered. I had noticed them having tea. What about it? The excitement was from the mat I had been trotting on in order to hide the squeak.


I know I can never approach these mares, just as I know it would never be acceptable for them to approach me. These mares work for me, they are my subjects. Admit it is no shame. Yet, if I had moved on the feeling, it could ruin both them, and myself. I could never permit it to happen. The cost is too high, the consequences too severe.

Typical, it had to happen here, where there was none I could appreciate. On the other hoof, maybe i is convenient. Neither is there any pony I had to be ashamed to look in the eye.

In the end, I chose to turn towards my personal chambers. Maybe a moment to myself would be good. I have thinking to do.

Of course, if mares does find it exciting, maybe I was in luck. The problem is to find a mare I can actually talk to. One I can invite to my private chambers. That had always been my problem. There are too few mares I can see eye to eye. Most mares I see are at least one inch too short, as it were.

I had seen a few mares above me. Celestia and Luna. In this particular case, I know I could never have been more than a moment of distraction, considering their age and expectancy. That is if they could have taken the time to see me eye to eye. I know they can’t. Of course, this would have been even more frustrating on their side, if not for the one small detail. They can wait. If there is a male Alicorn in a century or a few, they can certainly wait.


How ironical? That one white mare who was interested a few years back. She just may be close enough for me to actually talk to her now, but she is never going to even see me now. None of her friends would.

The question is of course, who is above who? Twilight is an Alicorn Princess, all of a sudden. I have the impression she is above me, even if Ponyville still seems like a quaint little rural village. How strange to have a Princess and castle there.


Ponyville is a mystery to me. What made it special in the first place? I have to ask my advisor on the history. It is a farm village, for all I knew. What brings a rustic village to the foe in this manner? It can’t be just the mare who was interested. She is not that important. A single mare could never make that much of a difference. Not unless she was the Royal Princess herself; that is. Had Celestia invited the group to that Gala in the first place? I know they came the following year, the following years to be exact. They even brought their friends with them later.

Comments ( 2 )

Um, this is marked complete, but it seems to end rather suddenly and Pinkie Pie does not even appear.

6378698 The episode is at the end, such as the intended consepts put it.

Even when her physical body isn't there, the acts of her is sill in focus. It is the focus of the story, not the mere presense of the character it is to indicate, ins't it?

This is only the second episode of what is intended as a longer series.

Login or register to comment